Registered User trippinbillies4's Avatar
    trippinbillies4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Just started, VERY sore. Poor form?

Hey guys, new to the forum. I just joined a gym last week and have started a workout program. This has been what I'm using so far:

bodybuilding.com/fun/krisgethin_guide8.htm

So, right now I'm 5'9", 142lbs. My goal is to bulk up to 175lbs. I'm eating 6 meals a day of healthy, protein packed foods. Here's my problem though. After one week of lifting, my elbows are so sore that I feel like I'm going to have to take 3 or 4 days off at this point. After working my triceps out the first day, just above my elbows on the back were kind of sore. I wasn't too worried about it. Then, 2 days later I worked out my biceps, and for two days I've had a hard time extending my arms all the way.

Would you guys chalk this up to me starting to strong? I was able to do 3 sets of 8 reps of the bicep exercises in the workout routine above (week 1, obviously). Or, is this strictly on my form? If so, do you guys have any recomendations on how to check my form working by myself? I don't really have the money for a personal trainer.

Any help is much appreciated!

~Dave

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Can't comment on your exercise form without seeing it. You might want to either find a reliable trainer, locally, to help sort out any possible problems, or take some vids, and post them in the "exercise" forum for critique. I realize you said you can't afford a trainer, but you might want to re-evaluate that.

Other than that, the only advice I can offer is that newbs are out of condition, and are always sore until they get conditioned to the work.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

I appreciate it! I get two free sessions with a trainer at my gym. I'll see how that works, give it a couple weeks and go from there. Any online videos or anything you can recommend that goes over proper form for each exercise?

pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's definitely normal to get sore when you're just starting out, I know I always did... especially if you're pushing yourself as hard as you can. Sometimes being sore is simply a sign of hard work! The soreness should subside with a little time just make sure you're getting adequate rest and letting your muscles recover/rebuild themselves before you tear them down again!
    I Shoot and Design Stuff: http://www.********.com/pooshda
    Sometimes Make Videos: http://www.youtube.com/pooshda

geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) geokilla will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Are those trainers trustworthy? I've read many stories where the trainers at the gym are PoS. I've seen a couple that are PoS too when I used a free pass at my local gym over the summer. This girl was working out with the trainer (personal trainer?) and he looked like he was falling asleep.

Also since you're just starting, it's more ideal that you do a program that uses compound movements such as Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

I definitely expected to be sore. Is it normal for my tendons to be this sore? Feeling soreness in my arms and chest was one thing, but I didn't expect my elbow tendons to be that bad. Pardon my extreme n00b-ness, haha. If it's normal, I'll stop my bitching, take some ibuprofen, and wait till they're good to work them out again!

pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000) pooshda is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't really trust anyone but myself, that's why I am always on here reading and taking in as much information as I can. Just because someone is a personal trainer doesn't mean they should be a personal trainer.
    I Shoot and Design Stuff: http://www.********.com/pooshda
    Sometimes Make Videos: http://www.youtube.com/pooshda

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by trippinbillies4 View Post
    I appreciate it! I get two free sessions with a trainer at my gym. I'll see how that works, give it a couple weeks and go from there. Any online videos or anything you can recommend that goes over proper form for each exercise?
    Yes. http://exrx.net is pretty reliable.

This guy is the best for Squat form:
    Squat Rx: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Rippetoe's vids are excellent, too. Here's a gem:
    Rip Deadlift setup:

Youtube has millions of exercise vids; however, most of them are posted by random guys and many of them have terrible form. Any vids by the above two people you can take to the bank, though.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Also, Geo, I have no idea about the trainers. That was my worry as well.

As far as the soreness issue goes, you'll have to be your own judge. It's an individual thing.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Slugger21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slugger21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slugger21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slugger21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slugger21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slugger21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slugger21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slugger21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slugger21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slugger21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slugger21 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Lighten up the weight you use until you feel comfortable without joint pain

6InchPen will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6InchPen will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6InchPen will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6InchPen will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6InchPen will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6InchPen will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6InchPen will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6InchPen will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6InchPen will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6InchPen will become famous soon enough. (+50) 6InchPen will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i started going almost 2 months ago and for the first week to two weeks i experienced extreme soreness for 3 days after i lifted. I suggest doing what i did, and only go lift again when your soreness has gone completely (the first week i needed to wait 3 days between).

If you go back while your still sore you may get discouraged and quit before your body gets use to training. (After two weeks you will be able to lift without being immobile the next day). Also, if your worried about your elbows i experienced the same thing during the first week. There is a little muscle in there that you worked and i havnt had issues since the first week with that.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's perfectly normal for your muscles to be sore after lifting. But you said your elbows were sore. It's not always a good sign if your joints are sore. Definitely make sure your form is proper. That's the most important thing when lifting. Improper form will hinder your results and potentially injure you.

Thanks again for all of the advice, everyone! I hate being the newbie, but I guess everyone has to start somewhere. Anyways, I think my plan of attack is to give myself some time in between workouts for the first few weeks to be sure I'm not working on sore muscles. I'll work with a trainer to check my form, and report back in a couple weeks if the pain hasn't become a little more manageable.

Thanks again!

kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The first 2 maybe even 3 times for each workout day you will feel wicked sore the next day. As you keep progressing in your program, you will feel sore the next day, but not a crazy bad ache. Instead, you will just feel some soreness or tightness when you activate the muscle.

To help with soreness, push a ton of water. When you think you are hydrated, drink some more. Multi-vitamin and a clean diet are also a must. Add in some whey post workout as well to help your muscles refuel and rebuild in the critical first few hours after your workout. The water will help flush out your system and the multi-vitamin and diet will put in the good nutrients and vitamins you need while keeping out the fats and fried foods that can slow down your future workouts and make you feel even sorer/more tired.