Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

what is a figure model diet look like?

I was wondering, do figure models go by the 'cut and bulk' cycles, or are they consistant with their calories? For example, I bulked at 2200cals, but then cut at 1550 cals. But a more consistant cals would be 1800-1900. Also is it a bad idea to be taking fat burners when trying to lose fat and build muscle? I just want to get an idea of a figure models diet/workout. I want to make sure I am on the right track

Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    bump

jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    I tell my girl to eat about 1200-1500 cal a day. Its reasonable because of the diet. If you maintain a good carb/pro/fat ratio then the losing weight will kick in through your training. But, you can lose more weight if you eat right. It has to be a combo of sleep/train/diet/rest.
    If you're going into fitness, I would say do a .5gm of protein per body weight the carbs should be under the 120 a day. Fats should come from your food and CLA, Flax seed oils. Hope this helps.

Wow, 1200-1500... sounds awefully low to consider putting on muscle. So I should only conusme about 70g protein a day? hmmmm that doesnt sound right to me either. Any cardio on this diet? Or just weights?

cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In my opinion... starting at 1200-1500 calories is a bit too low for you. I've been dieting down for the past 10 weeks and started dieting around 1700 calories. I slowly bring my calories down as I get closer to the show. Right now i'm 3 weeks out from the first show of the season and around 1300-1400 calories. For macros... I shoot for 1.25-1.5 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight (1 gram on refeed days). For fats I shoot for about 25-30% of calories from fat and get the rest of my calories from clean carbs. I do "cut" and "bulk" with my calories but slowly decreasing calories as I get closer to a show (to promote fat loss) and then slowly bring the calories back up after a show while focusing on building some of the muscle back that I lost while cutting.
    If it's to be it's up to me....

"There is no such thing as a small miracle. A gym is a place of miracles. People do things they once thought impossible--lifting heavier, squeezing out one more rep, finding discipline and willpower they didn't know they had. They're amazed at how good they feel and look, and they carry their new power into the world. This is the miracle I wanted to give to the world." - Joe Wieder

Originally Posted by cassiegose View Post
    In my opinion... starting at 1200-1500 calories is a bit too low for you. I've been dieting down for the past 10 weeks and started dieting around 1700 calories. I slowly bring my calories down as I get closer to the show. Right now i'm 3 weeks out from the first show of the season and around 1300-1400 calories. For macros... I shoot for 1.25-1.5 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight (1 gram on refeed days). For fats I shoot for about 25-30% of calories from fat and get the rest of my calories from clean carbs. I do "cut" and "bulk" with my calories but slowly decreasing calories as I get closer to a show (to promote fat loss) and then slowly bring the calories back up after a show while focusing on building some of the muscle back that I lost while cutting.
    Ok I see, so I wont be competing till next year... so I should stick around 1700 cals... My protein is anywhere from 180-210g so I think I am ok there. I was wondering though, do you just lift weights? Or do you do cardio as well? If so how long and how intense? Sorry for the stupid questions

cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassiegose will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Holly2710 View Post
    Ok I see, so I wont be competing till next year... so I should stick around 1700 cals... My protein is anywhere from 180-210g so I think I am ok there. I was wondering though, do you just lift weights? Or do you do cardio as well? If so how long and how intense? Sorry for the stupid questions
    I started cutting at 1700 calories. If you're wanting to put on muscle you'll want to experiment with calories a bit to see how many your body needs to build. How did you feel at 1800-1900 calories? Were you able to slowly build muscle while keeping fat gain at a minimum? For daily calories you want to find the amount you need that will allow you to build muscle and keep fat gain at a minimum. For some its 1700 for others its 2100. Use the next few months to experiment with foods/calories/macros and discover how many calories your body needs. If you increase calories do so slowly... like 50 a day per week (so increase daily cals by 50 and hold it there for a week or more and see what happens). If you decrease calories also decrease slowly. Keep a journal and track how your body is responding. Are you lifting more in the gym? Is bodyfat going up? Is weight going down? Is weight staying stable while clothes are fitting looser? Cardio is up to you. I do cardio but i'm on a cut. Some need lots of cardio others need very little... most people are somewhere in between. Again you'll have to play with this and see how much cardio you need to do. Do as little as as you can get away with at this point and as you get closer to the show (20-16 weeks out) you'll want to slowly begin to increase cardio as needed. When I'm trying to put on muscle I lift 3-5 days a week and do cardio as needed. I wish I could give you set answers but you really do need to do some experimenting to begin to figure out how your body works... figure out what works and what doesn't so when you begin contest prep you'll have a solid understanding of whats going to work for your body.

Hope this all makes sense...
    If it's to be it's up to me....

"There is no such thing as a small miracle. A gym is a place of miracles. People do things they once thought impossible--lifting heavier, squeezing out one more rep, finding discipline and willpower they didn't know they had. They're amazed at how good they feel and look, and they carry their new power into the world. This is the miracle I wanted to give to the world." - Joe Wieder

jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000) jquest1968 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    cassiegose, has the right approach. but the protein is a bit high for you. If anything go for a 1gm for each Lb. Take a look at that approach too. Good essential fat is a must; like Flax seed oil, CLA. My girlfriend used to consume about 2000 cal but started to drop down to about 1200-1500 eventually it'll go up again but trying to cut back to see if her body changes. She used to be into powerlifting but started to cut back to be more into bodybuilding/fitness kind of figure.

happylife710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is an excellent providence. It really makes a good point out of it.
    Thanks,

adolly147 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cassie pretty much summed it up, but it really all depends on what your goal is. If you want to look good now, do lots of cardio. If you are happy with where you are and you just want to "bulk" for a competition next year, then only do low intensity cardio a couple of times a week. Again for diet, base your calorie intake on what your goal is. If you want to lose a couple of pounds take it down 1200-1500, if you are happy with where you are at and you just want to maintain and build muscle, then keep your current calorie range. I honestly hate the whole "bulk now, lose later" theory. You can add muscle until you start really dieting and doing excess cardio. If you focus on building muscle, you can add it even when you only have 15% body fat. You just can't build it when you are trying to lose body fat. One or the other. I honestly perfer to stay lean even when I am trying to add muscle. I don't focus on my body fat % when adding muscle, i just eat clean, and I only do a little bit of cardio, but my body fat will end up staying about the same. I can really tell that I am adding muscle though. In the long run, I think this is a lot easier because I don't have to beat myself up doing a ton of cardio right before a show because I let myself get up to 20%. For protein, I do at least 1.5 times my lean body mass. I would rather have too much protein then not enough. Even if it can convert to fat, I want to make sure that my muscles have enough to feed off of.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by adolly147 View Post
    Cassie pretty much summed it up, but it really all depends on what your goal is. If you want to look good now, do lots of cardio. If you are happy with where you are and you just want to "bulk" for a competition next year, then only do low intensity cardio a couple of times a week. Again for diet, base your calorie intake on what your goal is. If you want to lose a couple of pounds take it down 1200-1500, if you are happy with where you are at and you just want to maintain and build muscle, then keep your current calorie range. I honestly hate the whole "bulk now, lose later" theory. You can add muscle until you start really dieting and doing excess cardio. If you focus on building muscle, you can add it even when you only have 15% body fat. You just can't build it when you are trying to lose body fat. One or the other. I honestly perfer to stay lean even when I am trying to add muscle. I don't focus on my body fat % when adding muscle, i just eat clean, and I only do a little bit of cardio, but my body fat will end up staying about the same. I can really tell that I am adding muscle though. In the long run, I think this is a lot easier because I don't have to beat myself up doing a ton of cardio right before a show because I let myself get up to 20%. For protein, I do at least 1.5 times my lean body mass. I would rather have too much protein then not enough. Even if it can convert to fat, I want to make sure that my muscles have enough to feed off of.
    You post makes absolutely no sense. "If you want to look good now do more cardio?" Ummmm if your diet is not in check, it's not going to matter how much cardio you do. Maintaining and building muscle are 2 different things. Maintaining means keeping calories at maintenance, building muscle means eating above maintenance calories. There will always be some fat gain when eating above maintenance calories. The key is to go slightly above maintenance calories to keep fat gains to a minimal.

Protein doesn't covert to fat, eating over your calories does.

1200 calories is way too low for her. Those numbers would work for women who sit around 120 lbs.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

I see everyone has a different approach. I want to be cut for summer. I was hoping if my protein was high enough then I could put some muscle on, even thogh I am eating below matainance. Damn, I just hate the fact of putting fat on during a bulk, I still have some bf to lose, but I hate lifting wieghts and not getting anywhere. The wieghts actually decrease. Guess you cant have the best of both worlds Oh well, my diet has been super clean, and I have been really conistant. I just have to stay focused and not try other diets (So tempting)

ongoingteabag_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) ongoingteabag_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) ongoingteabag_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) ongoingteabag_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) ongoingteabag_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) ongoingteabag_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) ongoingteabag_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) ongoingteabag_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) ongoingteabag_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) ongoingteabag_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) ongoingteabag_ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Holly I agree with Kimm, just eat slightly over your maintenance to gain muscle, if you are not gaining at the rate you desire, then you can bump the calories up until you find the happy medium. Obviously if you are eating too much you will be gaining too much fat. Find out what your maintenance caloric intake is then either eat at it to stay consistent, below it if you want to lose fat and keep muscle, don't go on a drastic cut to start, slightly lower carbs and bump up the protein a bit. You would also want to do some cardio and taking fat burners won't hinder you either. I like to drink green tea throughout the day as well as lots of water. It's really about finding what works for you, you don't need to follow a certain diet (eg. keto) just eat a moderate amount of carbs, have enough protein such as 1 gram per pound of bodyweight and some fat as well. Simple forumla is above, at or below maintenance and tweak from there, you just have to be patient. If you want to cut you can also try carb cycling by going lower for a certain period then refeeding with carbs and then going back on a lower carb cycle. Just make sure your fat is kept moderate and the protein gets bumped up to preserve muscle.

W1LL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) W1LL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) W1LL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) W1LL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) W1LL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) W1LL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) W1LL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) W1LL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) W1LL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) W1LL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) W1LL has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    just out of curiosity. do you all really log calories even in the off season like that? If you do, then i gotta say wow. I applaud your dedication, I just have the same number of meals as i do when dieting and just instead of having a lean ground steak meal i'll have like a steak burger meal with bacon and simple carbs from the bread and just assume i'm getting those extra calories in

Yeah,I log all day everyday. I was considering carb cycling, sounds good. I just hate doing drastic diets. Like cuts and bulks dont appeal to me. The idea of putting your body through that doesnt sound good. I wish I could just eat consistant and put on muscle and get rid of an fat, even if it a slower process. I was thinking of cutting down my cardio, just skipping for a minute in between sets and 15min light cardio after weights. Then I can just keep my cals around 1600. Its hard to wrap my head aroun the fact that cardio can be counter productive. I probably do too much of it now, usually 30min moderate/intense cardio, then skipping inbtween sets (20min). Thanks for the advice guys!

dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Holly2710 View Post
    I was wondering, do figure models go by the 'cut and bulk' cycles, or are they consistant with their calories? For example, I bulked at 2200cals, but then cut at 1550 cals. But a more consistant cals would be 1800-1900. Also is it a bad idea to be taking fat burners when trying to lose fat and build muscle? I just want to get an idea of a figure models diet/workout. I want to make sure I am on the right track
    There is no one size fits all Figure plan. How a Figure competitor eats depends on what she needs to do with her physique. If you need to add muscle, offseason and onseason diets (bulk and cut) are pretty normal. If the competitor already has enough size (or too much muscle) for Figure, she's not apt to bulk anymore and rather maintain. Workouts are also individual and depend on what needs to be brought up to achieve symmetry.

Fatburners are fine when trying to lose fat, but I'd avoid them when in a mass building phase.
    NPC Bodybuilder, Mother and Hater Extraordinaire

Sponsored by Prep & Rep Kitchen

SlayerofBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlayerofBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlayerofBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlayerofBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlayerofBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlayerofBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlayerofBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlayerofBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlayerofBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlayerofBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10) SlayerofBaby is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ^^^^^^^

Jounal70 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cheers on a great post, I’ve bookmarked and I look forward to future postings.

gymbabe90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymbabe90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymbabe90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymbabe90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymbabe90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymbabe90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymbabe90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymbabe90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymbabe90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymbabe90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gymbabe90 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I eat about 1500 calories a day... 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat (all fats are in CLA 500/flaxseed/nuts form)

I try to get most of my carbs in before 6pm
    (it can be hard on the love handles after this time unless you workout in the evening)

here's a sample of my diet:

breakfast- 3 egg whites/ half cup oats
    pre workout- meal replacement bar
    post workout- protein shake
    late lunch-turkey burger and red potato
    dinner- egg white omelet with veggies
    evening snack- cottage cheese & tablespoon of natty peanut butter

hope this helps
    SQUAT! Because somewhere out there... a girl is warming up with your max.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by gymbabe90 View Post
    I eat about 1500 calories a day... 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat (all fats are in CLA 500/flaxseed/nuts form)

I try to get most of my carbs in before 6pm
    (it can be hard on the love handles after this time unless you workout in the evening)

here's a sample of my diet:

breakfast- 3 egg whites/ half cup oats
    pre workout- meal replacement bar
    post workout- protein shake
    late lunch-turkey burger and red potato
    dinner- egg white omelet with veggies
    evening snack- cottage cheese & tablespoon of natty peanut butter

hope this helps

A person can eat carbs all day long. It's not like our bodies have built in clocks that say "You can only eat carbs till 5 and you eat them at 5:45 you're screwed..."

Seriously who comes up with this stuff?

Getting control of the love handles is all about getting in the right amount of calories period...
    Last edited by kimm4; 03-29-2010 at 11:57 PM.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)