Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Weird knee problem

So to summarize...

Last November knee gave way while squatting.

Took a few weeks off, went back to weights, everything felt fine.

In December I was shoved over and knee felt pretty sore again so took more time off but never enough so when I cam back to weights it would feel sore after a week or so.

Finally self diagnosed myself with patellar tendonitis and following a thread I read about it rested my knee and tried to keep it elevated.

This seemed to work as I was pain free within a week but I decided to take a lot of time off just in case. It has now been 7 or 8 weeks since I last had a workkout and I'm leaving it one more week (due to a back injury I got in the first week of no-leg training...).

But I still seem to have some mild issues. I tried doing a few sets of light front squats and it felt great, no discomfort or pain at all.

However sometimes when I rub the bottom of my knee I feel what can only be described as small pieces of something under the skin! Almost like I had lots of grains of sand under there. I also (ONLY SOMETIMES) will get a feeling like there's something slightly sharp in my knee if i ever do the position below... (Only photo I could find lol)...

Although it's only if I lean quite far forward and put a lot of pressure on my knee which I never have to do anyway...

Any help on what this is or what I should do?

HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Muckle_Ewe View Post
    So to summarize...

Last November knee gave way while squatting.

Took a few weeks off, went back to weights, everything felt fine.

In December I was shoved over and knee felt pretty sore again so took more time off but never enough so when I cam back to weights it would feel sore after a week or so.

Finally self diagnosed myself with patellar tendonitis and following a thread I read about it rested my knee and tried to keep it elevated.

This seemed to work as I was pain free within a week but I decided to take a lot of time off just in case. It has now been 7 or 8 weeks since I last had a workkout and I'm leaving it one more week (due to a back injury I got in the first week of no-leg training...).

But I still seem to have some mild issues. I tried doing a few sets of light front squats and it felt great, no discomfort or pain at all.

However sometimes when I rub the bottom of my knee I feel what can only be described as small pieces of something under the skin! Almost like I had lots of grains of sand under there. I also (ONLY SOMETIMES) will get a feeling like there's something slightly sharp in my knee if i ever do the position below... (Only photo I could find lol)...

Although it's only if I lean quite far forward and put a lot of pressure on my knee which I never have to do anyway...

Any help on what this is or what I should do?

The position shown in the photo is a deep knee bend. In the deep knee bend you place your knee( patellar tendon, quad tendon) in a very strectched position as you got your knee going past your toes by like almost 1 foot. The knee tendons are in a stretched postion plus they are holding the weight of your body. This problem can also be compounded by tight quad muscles which can also limit how much you can bend your knee. Even people who dont have any knee problems this deep knee bend can cause pain. I would avoid doing this especially if you are still healing with your patellar.

Well it does not look that bad as you can still workout with sets of light squats. Just give it more time to heal.

Were you doing the deep knee bend as part of a stretching routine for squats?

How is your quad muscle flexability? Tight quads can predispose you to knee tendon injuries as you are limited by how much you can bend your knee. As seen in deep knee bend.

Try doing simple a simple quad stretch like below. You should feel the stretch in your quad muscles not tendons or knee joint.

You should slowly make your way to being able to touch your heals to your buttocks.

One more question does this postion cause you pain?. This postion also places your knee in a stretched postion but not as bad as the deep knee bend. Dont attempt it if you have never done it.

Last edited by HALON; 03-06-2010 at 04:16 PM.
    "In AUSTRALIA
    Each year there are 470 000 adverse events, 18 000 deaths, and 50 000 permanent disabilities arising from medical error and negligence each year. This is four times higher compared to the USA." (Second oppinion, GERMOV quote, page 293)

353 fatal car crashes were recorded on Australian roads in 2008 (RTA, 2008). You are 50 TIMES more likely to die from medical negligence from a DOCTOR compared to being fatally injured in a car crash and they say driving is dangerous.

Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Muckle_Ewe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by HALON View Post
    Were you doing the deep knee bend as part of a stretching routine for squats?

Well I was in the bottom position if that's what you mean

How is your quad muscle flexability? Tight quads can predispose you to knee tendon injuries as you are limited by how much you can bend your knee. As seen in deep knee bend.
    Try doing simple a simple quad stretch like below. You should feel the stretch in your quad muscles not tendons or knee joint.

Feels ok. Feel it in my quads

One more question does this postion cause you pain?. This postion also places your knee in a stretched postion but not as bad as the deep knee bend. Dont attempt it if you have never done it.
    Sorry for late reply. See bold for answers and last question is answered below.

Tried it out and didn't cause me any pain. Wasn't exactly too comfortable though but no pain.
    My knee actually feels pretty good now. However, the other day I was lying on my back and brought my knee up towards my shoulder whilst holding my foot near my ankle sort of like this...

but with the knee up further near my head.
    It felt pretty sore then but that's the only time I feel it sore.
    Any natural movement and it feels fine, its only when I put my knee in a really deep bend that I get pain. Thing is though, I never do any movement like this during the day or even during any weights exercise so I'm thinking perhaps returning to squats and such may be ok..?