Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

8 weeks out to first competition

Hey guys/gals,

I've been lurking on here for some time and now need your expert advice/experience to make sure I'm prepping properly for my first competition. I started dieting back before Nov 09 when I was at 190lbs. I paid for a prep coach and then lost my job I got down to 180lb and was maintaining the weight.

My marcos were:
    High carb days (H) - 230p, 275c, 55f on Leg days - no cardio
    Medium cards days (M) - 230p, 225c, 55f on Chest/arms and Back/shoulder days - LIC 30 mins
    Low carb das (L) - 230p, 175c, 55f on off days - HIC 30 mins

Now, I'm on my own and realize I needed a change in diet and cardio to make some progression. So I cut my carbs this week to the following:

H days - 200
    M days - 160
    L days – 120

Keeping the res t of my macros the same. Also, I’ve increased my cardio to 45 mins all week and started to take a Mitropin to help with dieting. This morning I weighed in at 174lbs. I’m definitely feel more irritable this week and at times feeling light headed. My diet has been clean consisting of chicken breast, lean ground turkey, tuna, tilapia, brown rice, mix veggies, and sweet potatoe.

My split is Legs, chest/arms, back/shoulder, off, repeat.
    I’ve been reading about some people doing refeeds, etc. I’m guessing you guys my needs some pics too but in the meantime, am I on track? Please advise. Thank you!

Team Boss Barbell Club Rsardinia's Avatar
    Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by busyboy21 View Post
    Hey guys/gals,

I've been lurking on here for some time and now need your expert advice/experience to make sure I'm prepping properly for my first competition. I started dieting back before Nov 09 when I was at 190lbs. I paid for a prep coach and then lost my job I got down to 180lb and was maintaining the weight.

My marcos were:
    High carb days (H) - 230p, 275c, 55f on Leg days - no cardio
    Medium cards days (M) - 230p, 225c, 55f on Chest/arms and Back/shoulder days - LIC 30 mins
    Low carb das (L) - 230p, 175c, 55f on off days - HIC 30 mins

Now, I'm on my own and realize I needed a change in diet and cardio to make some progression. So I cut my carbs this week to the following:

H days - 200
    M days - 160
    L days – 120

Keeping the res t of my macros the same. Also, I’ve increased my cardio to 45 mins all week and started to take a Mitropin to help with dieting. This morning I weighed in at 174lbs. I’m definitely feel more irritable this week and at times feeling light headed. My diet has been clean consisting of chicken breast, lean ground turkey, tuna, tilapia, brown rice, mix veggies, and sweet potatoe.

My split is Legs, chest/arms, back/shoulder, off, repeat.
    I’ve been reading about some people doing refeeds, etc. I’m guessing you guys my needs some pics too but in the meantime, am I on track? Please advise. Thank you!
    My guess would be for refeed days lower your fat to like 35-40g and lower your protein to like 200g and then fill the rest of your cals w/ carbs. Your refeed days should be damn near if not more than double your diet carbs (ie if you take 160g on your medium/average day then throw in 320g for your refeed).

busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) busyboy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Rsardinia View Post
    My guess would be for refeed days lower your fat to like 35-40g and lower your protein to like 200g and then fill the rest of your cals w/ carbs. Your refeed days should be damn near if not more than double your diet carbs (ie if you take 160g on your medium/average day then throw in 320g for your refeed).
    Thanks for the response. When do you suggest doing the refeed day? Once a week on a either medium day for chest/arms or back/shoulders?

7 weeks out...Can you guys give me your honest opinion. Thanks

Last edited by busyboy21; 03-11-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Team Boss Barbell Club Rsardinia's Avatar
    Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rsardinia is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for the response. When do you suggest doing the refeed day? Once a week on a either medium day for chest/arms or back/shoulders?
    I like doing them on leg days because the extra carbs gives you that energy boost you need for a good leg workout but its really up to you. Whatever you feel your hardest day is should be your refeed day to give you some added help getting through it.

٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ iForce Dave's Avatar
    iForce Dave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iForce Dave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iForce Dave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iForce Dave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iForce Dave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iForce Dave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iForce Dave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iForce Dave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iForce Dave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iForce Dave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) iForce Dave is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    you look fantastic. Keep plugging away.. the next 6 weeks are what will make or break you
    keep it simple, keep it basic, keep it heavy
    iForce Nutrition Sponsored Athlete
    www.iforcenutrition.com

Originally Posted by iForce Dave View Post
    you look fantastic. Keep plugging away.. the next 6 weeks are what will make or break you
    thank you dave! i appreciate your feedback. please keep them coming all. my first time comp so every bit will help.

jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You look great man! Are you Asian? If so, quite an inspiration! You are a bit bigger than me especially in the upper body (arms) so it's very motivating. Heck, even if you aren't you are still motivating! Hope to look like you when I'm in my early 30's.

That being said, I'm prepping for my first show too and it looks like you and I are in the same ballpark in terms of conditioning. At 8 weeks out I think you (and myself) should be a bit leaner because I bet you still have small love handles and when you sit you probably still have some pouching or a little fat roll or two. As someone said before, the next 7 weeks or so will make or break it. There really is no room for error- especially since we are both seeking to be respectably stage lean.

I'll be honest- you're not gonna be ripped to shreds but you (and again, me too) will both be pretty damn lean. Just don't think you're gonna step on there with striated glutes or anything..lol.

Ideally, your condition now is where you should have been 18-16 weeks out. That's how you get really peeled.

ronin_ts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ronin_ts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ronin_ts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ronin_ts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ronin_ts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ronin_ts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ronin_ts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ronin_ts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ronin_ts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ronin_ts is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ronin_ts is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by jackedrabbit View Post
    You look great man! Are you Asian? If so, quite an inspiration! You are a bit bigger than me especially in the upper body (arms) so it's very motivating. Heck, even if you aren't you are still motivating! Hope to look like you when I'm in my early 30's.

That being said, I'm prepping for my first show too and it looks like you and I are in the same ballpark in terms of conditioning. At 8 weeks out I think you (and myself) should be a bit leaner because I bet you still have small love handles and when you sit you probably still have some pouching or a little fat roll or two. As someone said before, the next 7 weeks or so will make or break it. There really is no room for error- especially since we are both seeking to be respectably stage lean.

I'll be honest- you're not gonna be ripped to shreds but you (and again, me too) will both be pretty damn lean. Just don't think you're gonna step on there with striated glutes or anything..lol.

Ideally, your condition now is where you should have been 18-16 weeks out. That's how you get really peeled.
    You look like of asian heritage....have fun on stage.looking good..as everyone has said..the experiance will do you the world of good.

Im 10 weeks out and already nervous too about looking shredded
    It's always about the upperbody...what about the legs?

Team:Binge

jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jackedrabbit is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Wink

Originally Posted by ronin_ts View Post
    You look like of asian heritage....have fun on stage.looking good..as everyone has said..the experiance will do you the world of good.

Im 10 weeks out and already nervous too about looking shredded
    Not to hijack here, but yes I am - Chinese to be exact. And yeah, for 8 weeks out I'm behind...but, a lot can happen if you really crank it. 8 weeks is a long time, but at the same time, it isn't, ya know?

But the first show is always about fun and experience. No doubt OP and myself will both look great and have a great time. 2nd or 3rd time around, worry about shredded hams and glutes!

Ronin/Jackrabbit,

Yep, I'm asian. Not many I know of into this sport. I decided to go into my first competition back in Nov. so I'm taking a shot at it. It's been def. a learning experience and I appreciate your comments and feedback.

Ronin/Jackrabbit,

Yep, I'm asian. Not many I know of into this sport. I decided to go into my first competition back in Nov. so I'm taking a shot at it. It's been def. a learning experience and I appreciate your comments and feedback.
    We are a rare breed in this sport, and when successful, a formidable competitor.

How long have you been training? I take it that you are natty too?

Originally Posted by jackedrabbit View Post
    We are a rare breed in this sport, and when successful, a formidable competitor.

How long have you been training? I take it that you are natty too?
    I had an eye opener back in Feb/Mar of 2009 that really got me to re-evaluate my health so I used this site to help me get back into shape. Before that I didn't touch weights for close to 4 years due to my travel/work schedule. I stumbled on the competition threads and was amazed at the transformation, dieting and dedication. I got serious into training back in Oct when I hired a competition coach.

Natty all the way.

Weighted in this morning at 173lbs. Today marks 6 weeks to peak week and 7 weeks to that show.

Question:
    Should I be changing my workout program these final weeks? Can you guys give me some advice that helped fine tune your physiques. I see some people supersetting more. Should I be doing this? Thanks!

ur not ur f*cking khakis bwelch1985's Avatar
    bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000) bwelch1985 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Weighted in this morning at 173lbs. Today marks 6 weeks to peak week and 7 weeks to that show.

Question:
    Should I be changing my workout program these final weeks? Can you guys give me some advice that helped fine tune your physiques. I see some people supersetting more. Should I be doing this? Thanks!
    Keep it heavy brotha! As heavy as you can. Decrease volume as needed but do not sacrifice intensity (weight on the bar). Try your best to maintain your offseason strength numbers.

You've gotta give your body a reason to keep that hard earned muscle.

billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) billyj1994 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

you can still make it for the show. you just have to be perfect on everything
    brb miscin'

Originally Posted by bwelch1985 View Post
    Keep it heavy brotha! As heavy as you can. Decrease volume as needed but do not sacrifice intensity (weight on the bar). Try your best to maintain your offseason strength numbers.

You've gotta give your body a reason to keep that hard earned muscle.
    Exactly.

I decrease volume slightly, but keep work the same. For example, if I was squatting 315 x 12 (1 set) before and as strength declines I can only muster 8 reps, I'll do those 8 reps and rest 1 minute before grinding out 4 more, or 3 more...rest 1 min and 1 more rep. I'll count that as 1 set = 12 reps.

Now, some may say that's a lot of volume...especially if before you were doing say, 315 x 12, 12, 12 (3 sets of 12). But I argue that it's important to keep the work load the same, even if it takes you more sets to do it. Try to keep total poundage moved the same is what my point is.

vvarhead17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vvarhead17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vvarhead17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vvarhead17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vvarhead17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vvarhead17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vvarhead17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vvarhead17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vvarhead17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vvarhead17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vvarhead17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    looking good man! stay on track
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by iForce Dave View Post
    I agree 100%. Obviously it is "serious" and hard the entire diet...but there is something that really "happens" that last 6 or 7 weeks. You really push it hard and that is when you really see the body transform.

busyboy...you can make is for sure just push it hard!

Originally Posted by Flex500 View Post
    I agree 100%. Obviously it is "serious" and hard the entire diet...but there is something that really "happens" that last 6 or 7 weeks. You really push it hard and that is when you really see the body transform.

busyboy...you can make is for sure just push it hard!
    Thank you all for you responses. It's def an encouragement. I'm keeping my weights heavy as noted. Now about the diet, should I continue to reduce carbs each week?

I'm currently at:

200g on leg days, 160g on chest/arm & back/should days, and 120g on off days.

Was thinking of dropping to 160g, 120g and 80g respectively. Thoughts?
    Last edited by busyboy21; 03-16-2010 at 10:36 AM.

deuling710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know it is bad for me but I can't stop.
    Wishing you have a beautiful life!!!

Hello all,

Here's an update. I weighted this morning at 171.2lb. I took updated pics cold so please let me know how you think I'm doing. Lighting and posing could have been better. 6 weeks out from yesterday. Thanks!

Last edited by busyboy21; 03-21-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Vai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vai will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vai will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Looking great bro!
    I just have one critique toward your posing, in your side relaxed pose, lift your chest up, atm it looks like your slouching a little. Otherwise everything seems great. Goodluck with the rest of your prep.

Originally Posted by Vai View Post
    Looking great bro!
    I just have one critique toward your posing, in your side relaxed pose, lift your chest up, atm it looks like your slouching a little. Otherwise everything seems great. Goodluck with the rest of your prep.
    thanks Vai!! will def keep that in mind

extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great smile!

Wait... WUT

lol jk looking pretty good for 6 weeks out compared to 8 weeks. GJ. Work on that posing! Your physique could look MUCH better with better posing.
    [Fat Loss|Nutrition|www.MRTIMOTHYLEE.com|Training|ContestPrep]

Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Quelly is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would really advise getting with a posing coach, you need to push your legs together on side shots to make the front leg appear larger, you also don't want to be flexing the abs down on the front lat spread

Originally Posted by extremenergy3 View Post
    Great smile!

Wait... WUT

lol jk looking pretty good for 6 weeks out compared to 8 weeks. GJ. Work on that posing! Your physique could look MUCH better with better posing.
    Originally Posted by Quelly View Post
    I would really advise getting with a posing coach, you need to push your legs together on side shots to make the front leg appear larger, you also don't want to be flexing the abs down on the front lat spread
    Thanks guys for your feedback. I will be seeking a posing coach ASAP. I will you keep you posted on my results.