Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    im here for the bukkake garbazio's Avatar
    garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000) garbazio is just really nice. (+1000)

fastest way to increase endurance? regular running or HIIT?

????????
    bitches love my hair

Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Scotytri will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just plain old running for a long time, or swap the running for swimming or cycling. HIIT is not that much use for building endurance.

Just like with most things in life there is no short cut to edurance training, just time on your feet.

Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000) Bluerex is just really nice. (+1000)
    Both

depends what you are training for, endurance to me may mean something different to you

ebach20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ebach20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ebach20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ebach20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ebach20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ebach20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ebach20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ebach20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ebach20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ebach20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ebach20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bluerex View Post
    Both

depends what you are training for, endurance to me may mean something different to you
    Depends what you mean by endurance. Sprint endurance,ex) 400 meter sprint workouts are brutal but effective. Or more distance running types?
    Just take whatever your doing now and increase the intensity or work load to get more endurance but make sure you make the appropriate dietary changes so your body recovers

Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    circuit training

Strength/Speed Coach Jhawk Fitness's Avatar
    Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    HIIT, and new research suggests it's not really close (8-10% increase over sustained-aerobic groups).
    Director of Sports Performance
    NSCA-RSCC & CSCS , NASM-CES
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Vist www.TopSpeedTraining.com, also find us on social media:
    http://www.********.com/TopSpeedSportsPerformance
    Twitter & Instagram = @TopSpeedLLC

Whatchawant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jhawk Fitness View Post
    HIIT, and new research suggests it's not really close (8-10% increase over sustained-aerobic groups).
    Yeah I was actually reading where it is more beneficial to the cardio system since humans were design to have a system based on stop n go (short bursts speed walking sprinting etc)

godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000) godsangina2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    HIIT makes you faster at HIIT, and vica versa. Be specific, if you play basketball for example you need to train HIIT, if you are a long distance runner you need to train long distance

Originally Posted by godsangina2 View Post
    HIIT makes you faster at HIIT, and vica versa. Be specific, if you play basketball for example you need to train HIIT, if you are a long distance runner you need to train long distance
    good point. Football is combo of both. baseball would be HIIT. and so on

Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by godsangina2 View Post
    Actually if you'll look around at some of the other posts I've answered on this topic you'll see where I've posted specific studies done on 10k runner that showed both an increase in their level of endurance and an improvement in their running time. The Marines thread specifically cites 2-3 studies.

Originally Posted by Whatchawant View Post
    good point. Football is combo of both. baseball would be HIIT. and so on
    How is football a combination of both? I have a hard time thinking of a play that lasts more than 15-20 seconds.
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Actually if you'll look around at some of the other posts I've answered on this topic you'll see where I've posted specific studies done on 10k runner that showed both an increase in their level of endurance and an improvement in their running time. The Marines thread specifically cites 2-3 studies.

How is football a combination of both? I have a hard time thinking of a play that lasts more than 15-20 seconds.
    Perfect example is the SB from last year. James Harrison had to defend the play for about 5-10 secs and then intercepted the pass and went 100 yds. this would probably add up to 15-20 total. which is where endurance comes into play since it was nonstop.

Perfect example is the SB from last year. James Harrison had to defend the play for about 5-10 secs and then intercepted the pass and went 100 yds. this would probably add up to 15-20 total. which is where endurance comes into play since it was nonstop.
    Ok, you actually just made my point for me. I've seen HIIT runs last up to a minute in length, do you not feel that would be more to point in training the energy system used during football versus 45-60 minutes of jogging?
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Ok, you actually just made my point for me. I've seen HIIT runs last up to a minute in length, do you not feel that would be more to point in training the energy system used during football versus 45-60 minutes of jogging?
    No definately not but HIIT the OP is talking about probably wont be that long in duration. Dont get me wrong I am against long drawn out cardio. I believe HIIT is more beneficial.

Talking

With your expertise. You should reply to the thread about football physiques and give some of those people insight.

No definately not but HIIT the OP is talking about probably wont be that long in duration. Dont get me wrong I am against long drawn out cardio. I believe HIIT is more beneficial.
    Don't make assumptions. He simply asked the fastest way to increase endurance, the answer is HIIT. Besides, the point of my post was to dispute your theory that football is a "long distance" running sport.
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't make assumptions. He simply asked the fastest way to increase endurance, the answer is HIIT. Besides, the point of my post was to dispute your theory that football is a "long distance" running sport.
    cool

Is HIIT also the best way to lose fat as well?

Also do you guys have a certain type of diet/nutrition plan football players at your school use?

Originally Posted by Ohio33 View Post
    cool

Is HIIT also the best way to lose fat as well?

Also do you guys have a certain type of diet/nutrition plan football players at your school use?
    Yes, HIIT will help you drop fat faster than traditional steady-state cardio as well.

As for nutrition, while I am there to help them with basic questions and advice we have a nutritionist who handles the more advanced consultations. I've posted some of the advice from a colleague of mine who is the nutritionist for MLB and NFL teams in other nutrition-related threads.
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes, HIIT will help you drop fat faster than traditional steady-state cardio as well.

As for nutrition, while I am there to help them with basic questions and advice we have a nutritionist who handles the more advanced consultations. I've posted some of the advice from a colleague of mine who is the nutritionist for MLB and NFL teams in other nutrition-related threads.
    Thanks for reply. I will look that advice up. With supplements like creatine do you reccomend taking them with simple carbs and just getting the basic creatine mono or do you like premade stuff like Cell Tech?(sorry I know wrong section)

Duke_T has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Duke_T has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Duke_T has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Duke_T has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Duke_T has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Duke_T has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Duke_T has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    depends, what is "fast"? and how much do you want to improve?

If you have the time (ie, months) I would do both. Also look up some other running workouts such as tempo runs and fartleks (i know, funny name).

If you only have a few days/weeks, go with the plain old running. It will help your endurance the most.
    Newb could use some advice...add me on ******** if you wanna talk about lifting or help me with my training...http://www.********.com/profile.php?id=100000968112659&ref=search&sid=100000724224927.3174769837..1

Originally Posted by Duke_T View Post
    depends, what is "fast"? and how much do you want to improve?

If you have the time (ie, months) I would do both. Also look up some other running workouts such as tempo runs and fartleks (i know, funny name).

If you only have a few days/weeks, go with the plain old running. It will help your endurance the most.
    I respectively disagree. I have noticed doing HIIT has had awesome carryover to low endurance cardio. I follow a program where I do a series of sprint and your only rest is the speed walk back. When i went to do regular low intensity laps or jogging it seemed almost too easy. I think HIIT is the best for athletes since it tasks you aerobic capacity more. Just my opinion though.

powerlifter with abs jimmybimmy's Avatar
    jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000) jimmybimmy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I respectively disagree. I have noticed doing HIIT has had awesome carryover to low endurance cardio. I follow a program where I do a series of sprint and your only rest is the speed walk back. When i went to do regular low intensity laps or jogging it seemed almost too easy. I think HIIT is the best for athletes since it tasks you aerobic capacity more. Just my opinion though.
    true but he's talking about if u have short term notice, true hiit is designed to be done 2 times a week.

viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'll just leave some friendly advice: be careful about doing HIIT on treadmill. Got me a nasty case of plantar fasciitis that way, which left me unable to play my sport, completely contrary to all the intense work I put in..

dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfowler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Not very fast, but spend the first 20 years of your adult life working 2 & 3 manual labor jobs while trying to support a wife and 3 kids on little more than minimum wage. Giving in to pain and exhaustion in not on option when wife will bitch

jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    for true endurance you have to build up your aerobic base and strengthen your legs, and HIt doesnt do that. For a 5k run, okay I guess. But for sustained endurance events (90 minutes plus) you need to do your LSD.

Any champion endurance athlete or does a mixture of tempo training, intervals, and LSD.

CF nutjobs who just do HIT are running far below their potential.

Originally Posted by jdelarod View Post
    for true endurance you have to build up your aerobic base and strengthen your legs, and HIt doesnt do that. For a 5k run, okay I guess. But for sustained endurance events (90 minutes plus) you need to do your LSD.

Any champion endurance athlete or does a mixture of tempo training, intervals, and LSD.

CF nutjobs who just do HIT are running far below their potential.
    I hear and respect your points but like you said outside of cross country and marathon runners who runs long steady cardio for 90 minutes nonstop. Basketball, football, track, boxing, and MMA is all about stop n go cardio (aka HIIT) where high aerobic capacity is required for short amounts or bursts followed by a moderate cool down. As scientists have stated that is what the human body is designed for. In fact Rampage Jackson stated in a interview that he made the mistake of doing low intensity jogging when preparing for a fight and he would gassed by the end of fight, he started doing HIIT and it benefited him more. In fact I was reading in article about marathon runners who use HIIT over long Low intensity when preparing for marathons. Also there are so many different types of HIIT and the best forms are to be done outside.

Also with your last statment what do you mean below potential? are saying that any athlete who is not marathon runner is not running to their best abilty what about Usain Bolt or Adrian Peterson. Both probably rely on interval training and probably could step out and be prepared for a marathon. If the above Kansas Jayhawk strength and conditioning coach says HIIT is the best I am taking my chances with it over low intensity.

sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i found a mixture of both to be optimal. i got really good at both when i was doing long distance about 4 times a week and hiit 2-3 times a week. i really felt like the hiit helped my distance running because i knew what it felt like to go balls to the wall and no matter how far i ran i always knew i could keep going cause my heart rate wasn't racing like during hiit.

jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdelarod is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I hear and respect your points but like you said outside of cross country and marathon runners who runs long steady cardio for 90 minutes nonstop. Basketball, football, track, boxing, and MMA is all about stop n go cardio (aka HIIT) where high aerobic capacity is required for short amounts or bursts followed by a moderate cool down. As scientists have stated that is what the human body is designed for. In fact Rampage Jackson stated in a interview that he made the mistake of doing low intensity jogging when preparing for a fight and he would gassed by the end of fight, he started doing HIIT and it benefited him more. In fact I was reading in article about marathon runners who use HIIT over long Low intensity when preparing for marathons. Also there are so many different types of HIIT and the best forms are to be done outside.

Also with your last statment what do you mean below potential? are saying that any athlete who is not marathon runner is not running to their best abilty what about Usain Bolt or Adrian Peterson. Both probably rely on interval training and probably could step out and be prepared for a marathon. If the above Kansas Jayhawk strength and conditioning coach says HIIT is the best I am taking my chances with it over low intensity.
    My background with Special Operations personnel, and our definition of endurance is probably higher than yours. I also didnt say never do HIIT. And I think that of rampage ran 5 miles in 30 minutes like some boxers do he wouldnt be gassed at the end of 3 rounds.

Originally Posted by jdelarod View Post
    My background with Special Operations personnel, and our definition of endurance is probably higher than yours. I also didnt say never do HIIT. And I think that of rampage ran 5 miles in 30 minutes like some boxers do he wouldnt be gassed at the end of 3 rounds.
    "Defintion of endurance" does not have to do with it. You dont know what my aerobic/cardio capacity is so taking a shot about our levels being different is unwarranted. I just personally think HIIT is more effective at building your endurance faster. I am not the only one.
    Does it make me right? NO Does it make me wrong? NO. Just makes it my opinion. Personally I notice great carryover to long endurance cardio from doing HIIT.
    Last edited by Ohio33; 04-07-2010 at 01:18 PM.

"Defintion of endurance" does not have to do with it. I just personally think HIIT is more effective at building your endurance faster. I am not the only one.
    There are distinct physiological differences when you start doing endurance events past 90 minutes. HIIT does not prepare the body for that. HIIT does not prepare tendons and ligaments for endurance events. HIIT primarily impacts lactic acid threshold and VO2max, which are HUGE components but are not the ONLY components.

Which is why you can do HIIT and get a decent 5k time, but not as good as more broad based approach to devleop your endurance.

I consider MMA length events more work capacity than endurance. HIIT is real good for work capacity.

Good points. But what about the study above in regards to the 10k runner increasing endurance and running time?