Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User LIVEStrong4Life's Avatar
    LIVEStrong4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Are ATG squats really necessary?

My weight training/football coach says that anything below parallel is a waste. He claims that the only thing that can be gained from it is possible injury and is not needed to train for any type of strength/sport. I feel as though I should go just below parallel, parallel at very minimum. Thoughts?

Davidthefat is not very helpful. (-500) Davidthefat is not very helpful. (-500) Davidthefat is not very helpful. (-500) Davidthefat is not very helpful. (-500) Davidthefat is not very helpful. (-500) Davidthefat is not very helpful. (-500) Davidthefat is not very helpful. (-500) Davidthefat is not very helpful. (-500) Davidthefat is not very helpful. (-500) Davidthefat is not very helpful. (-500) Davidthefat is not very helpful. (-500)
    Are you lineman? if you get into your 3 pt stance, its pretty much a squat

Originally Posted by Davidthefat View Post
    Are you lineman? if you get into your 3 pt stance, its pretty much a squat
    Yeah I'm starting D-line (noseguard) and backup center. In my defensive stance my hams r actually touching my calves. This is also the same coach that said Dlifting w/o ur shoes does not decrease ur ROM at all.

dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dizzay20 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    below parallel is fine, ATG isnt really nessasary.

jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Okay let me put it this way:

ATG=past parallel.That is how it is meant and anyone who says they touch their ass to the floor or whatever is retarded.

Parallel=all you need to get a lift passed in a meet/9.99/10 it is enough for muscle growth.

Claiming a squat is atg=a bunch of flaming over what is and what isnt atg, then an oly lifter comes in who actually probably has experienced true to the letter atg and pwns everyone in said thread.

Go to parallel, ipf legal parallel(look it up).
    We the type of crew, to get fresh just to sit in the living room.-Bill O'Reilly

Kuchi Kopi Alliance

SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    At least parallel is necessary. It's not hard to learn to full squat. It's better imo.
    MSC

Best Raw Total: 1405

"ATG=past parallel.That is how it is meant and anyone who says they touch their ass to the floor or whatever is retarded." - test_titan92

I know the phrase ATG is an exaggeration. I was more just asking if anything past parallel is a waste. At the moment, I personally squat how Rippetoe shows in his videos, and I go just slightly past parallel. I'm just curious as to what others think and perhaps take their advice and change my form if necessary. Thanks for the reply.

jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    squat parallel. A bunch of people here swear by it but its utterly retarded given that its not working your muscles much more than a regular squat plus its harder to get to higher weights to work the important muscles more plus you're just asking to get knee injuries

jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by LIVEStrong4Life View Post
    "ATG=past parallel.That is how it is meant and anyone who says they touch their ass to the floor or whatever is retarded." - test_titan92

I know the phrase ATG is an exaggeration. I was more just asking if anything past parallel is a waste. At the moment, I personally squat how Rippetoe shows in his videos, and I go just slightly past parallel. I'm just curious as to what others think and perhaps take their advice and change my form if necessary. Thanks for the reply.
    fair enough good luck
    We the type of crew, to get fresh just to sit in the living room.-Bill O'Reilly

Kuchi Kopi Alliance

the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000) the1satanfears is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jhbart View Post
    squat parallel. A bunch of people here swear by it but its utterly retarded given that its not working your muscles much more than a regular squat plus its harder to get to higher weights to work the important muscles more plus you're just asking to get knee injuries
    It hits the exact same muscles. But this also impacts your glutes more. Which is important in football. It definitely makes you more explosive to squat ATG.

OP, I would recommend alternating between the two if you can. I swear by only using ATG squats. But I do understand that they max out on parallel in high school football, so you want to train that to.

Btw. ATG squats are better for your knees. Physics says so. Check my sig.
    @24HrTrainerNOLA
    -Jammin

longhorn_350 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) longhorn_350 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) longhorn_350 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) longhorn_350 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) longhorn_350 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) longhorn_350 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) longhorn_350 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) longhorn_350 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) longhorn_350 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) longhorn_350 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) longhorn_350 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ATG is.......ass touches ground im guessing??

Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by longhorn_350 View Post
    ATG is.......ass touches ground im guessing??
    ATG, works your ass(gluts) I got a nice ass from squatting ATG, I get notice about it almost every day. I suggest you squat ATG or a inch or two from ATG, I like to stay around a 1-3Inches ATG cuz I have bad knees. Some people say it's hard on your knees and it's easyer, I find it's harder on my knees to keep my form good doing so deep.

jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhbart is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    the number of studies I could pull up about atg squats being worse for your knees far passes your one "physics" one. Also, every physical therapist, who generally know more than an average bb.com user has told me squatting is fine but atg is much harder on your knees

CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10) CharlieYo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Rippetoe, a powerlifter of 10 years and a powerlifting coach of 30 years, says that ATG squats are effectively safer then parallel. Not only do they include more glutes, but it really is down to physics.

In the parallel position, there is an enormous amount of torque on your knees. Then, you have to push back up in the position with the most amount of strain on your knees. When you squat deeper, the weight is more evenly distributed throughout your lower body.

When a lot of people squat deep, they relax too many muscles near the hip, leaving room for injury. It's simplest to say "squat as low as you can (at least parallel) while maintaining tight hamstrings, abductors, and spinal erectors."

Most people simply don't know how to squat correctly, and safely. And when that happens, of course you're going to **** up.
    "Complexity for complexity's sake is dumb. Slow progress when fast is available is very poor decision making. Training indirectly with elaborate assistance exercises to raise your back squat is foolish if you can walk in the gym and add weight to your back squat."
    -Madcow

DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I used to Squat Parallel, but it was hurting my knees when I got up to 225 and 230. The reason I'm guessing is that my knees had to balance a lot of the weight.

So I cut back to about 185 and started going past parallel; right now I have no problems with my knees, my Glutes have gotten stronger, and my Hammies are getting stronger as well; which has been helping my Deadlift.

So it's ATG for me.

whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah I'm starting D-line (noseguard) and backup center. In my defensive stance my hams r actually touching my calves. This is also the same coach that said Dlifting w/o ur shoes does not decrease ur ROM at all.
    lol 170lb lineman? Im 220 and im D end

James1247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James1247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James1247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James1247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James1247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James1247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James1247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James1247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James1247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James1247 is on a distinguished road. (+10) James1247 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's great for muscle building, but a little harder to go up in weight because of the greater range of motion. It's a different movement. I had to start back at 135 for atg and am now at 205 for sets of 8 but my legs have grown 2.5 inches in about 3-4 months.
    Satisfaction is the death of desire.

ALPHA MANLET CREW (AMC)
    MANLET4LYFFEEE
    JOIN THE MOVEMENT TODAY: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128449941

Rep list
    bryce126

SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeanP35 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ATG Squats are not absolutely necessary, but some prefer them over Parallel Squats.

By ATG Squatting, you will most likely experience better strength and growth in the Glutes than you would otherwise.

With Parallel Squats, you could do Wide Stance Squats if you're worried about Glutes, and obtain about the same level of strength and growth gains in the Glutes.

Some people will find ATG Squats are better on their knees, while others will find the exact opposite. Do what you feel is comfortable, not what everybody else is telling you to do.

hydroquinone is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hydroquinone is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hydroquinone is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hydroquinone is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hydroquinone is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hydroquinone is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hydroquinone is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hydroquinone is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hydroquinone is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hydroquinone is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) hydroquinone is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    parallel squats are perfectly fine

atg is overrated

So you guys are saying that by some miracle every physical therapist I've ever been to is somehow dissolusioned and that you guys in the teen bodybuilding section know more about this **** than someone who went to school for it... makes a lot of sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I used to squat ATG, until, after reading about it and talking to my doctor/personal trainers/physical therapists/coaches, the only people who said ATG was better were the people on this website linking random other websites.

NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000) NewbieX2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by whiteboyy09 View Post
    lol 170lb lineman? Im 220 and im D end
    lol bro, super awesome. See you in the NFL!

SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SandMayne is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by hydroquinone View Post
    parallel squats are perfectly fine

atg is overrated
    It's not overrated, it's a matter of preference. Both have their benefits.
    MSC

Best Raw Total: 1405

DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SandMayne View Post
    It's not overrated, it's a matter of preference. Both have their benefits.
    SandMayne you are the smartest guy on this forum.......

510 Ass To Grass

Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Nate2010 View Post
    SandMayne you are the smartest guy on this forum.......

510 Ass To Grass
    proof of said weight?
    I REP BACK!

Natural Bodybuilder
    Current RAW 1RM
    Squat 515 x 1
    Deadlift 515 x 2
    Bench 350 x 1
    Total 1380
    Check out my YouTube channel
    youtube.com/venewigger

"Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today."
    - James Dean

"Don't count the days, Make the days count"
    -Muhammad Ali

DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DMB2012 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    LOL, when man numbers are thrown around, people alwayz demand proof. I have no camera.

IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My weight training/football coach says that anything below parallel is a waste. He claims that the only thing that can be gained from it is possible injury and is not needed to train for any type of strength/sport. I feel as though I should go just below parallel, parallel at very minimum. Thoughts?
    Your coach is wrong. Possible injury? Any lifting has the possibility of injury. The full squat actually puts less stress on the knees than parallel as shown in various studies. Regardless, you should be focusing on power cleans rather than solely squats.

erick15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erick15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erick15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erick15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erick15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erick15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erick15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erick15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erick15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erick15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) erick15 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For sports you want to lift with the biggest ROM as possible in every lift.

Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Venewigger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Nate2010 View Post
    LOL, when man numbers are thrown around, people alwayz demand proof. I have no camera.
    so u have no phone 80
    I REP BACK!

Natural Bodybuilder
    Current RAW 1RM
    Squat 515 x 1
    Deadlift 515 x 2
    Bench 350 x 1
    Total 1380
    Check out my YouTube channel
    youtube.com/venewigger

"Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today."
    - James Dean

"Don't count the days, Make the days count"
    -Muhammad Ali

IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IEatPowerRacks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by erick15 View Post
    For sports you want to lift with the biggest ROM as possible in every lift.
    This. Being flexible makes you less injury prone and a full ROM doesn't neglect muscle groups. Also realize that a strong squat does not necessarily mean you'll be fast or explosive. Sprints, Oly lifts, box jumpers will help you a lot.

Originally Posted by Venewigger View Post
    so u have no phone 80
    Nope....