BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50)

rack pulls on smith...

What do you guys think? Does it matter? I do shrugs on the smith I figured I could just drop the safeties and go ahead with the racks pulls while im at it.

Anyway im looking to add racks pulls to, hopefully, thicken up my upper back. I almost disappear when I turn sideways.

Also, any other recommendations for upper back thickness?

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Although Dexter Jackson is a fan of these, I've never really liked them. But I could see that they do have some merit.

However, I would NOT drop regular rack deadlifts permanently; just use smith deads as an periodic substitute.

A better use for the smith machine is overhand rows pulling to just below nipple level. This will help thicken up your upper back quite well!

Best,
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

Registered User SmithMachineGuy's Avatar
    SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SmithMachineGuy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Can't go wrong with the Smith Machine.

Democrats are terrorists cncman's Avatar
    cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Dr Clay View Post
    Although Dexter Jackson is a fan of these, I've never really liked them. But I could see that they do have some merit.

However, I would NOT drop regular rack deadlifts permanently; just use smith deads as an periodic substitute.

A better use for the smith machine is overhand rows pulling to just below nipple level. This will help thicken up your upper back quite well!

Best,
    Jay cutler is also a fan of them
    "If you don't vote for me you ain't black!" - Plantation Joe Biden

Wreck em
    Hook em
    Glory to Aubernia!

Milk does a body good. Sir_Malak's Avatar
    Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I can go heavier in a smith machine...but because I like to rack pull with the motion similar to a deadlift I prefer the bb.
    2014 Misc Raw Bench Press Contest winner in the 276lb+ 555lb lift @ ~280lbs
    2014 Obtained goal of 600+ raw bench press. Shoulder also hates me.
    2015 Lost 110 lbs and currently enjoy being healthy. Retired heavy bench press.
    2016 Stay healthy? Help others?
    2017 Staying Healthy
    2018 Might Return To The Game

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    First... why? You are really taking a great movement and making it less productive. Just do real rack pulls. And as for upper back thickness, various types of rows, good diet, and consistently adding weight to the bar and scale. Nothing fancy and no secrets.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000)
    i've just recently started doing these due to the fact that my workplace only has a smith (no other rack of any kind or even a single barbell) and i've gotta say it beats the hell out of the stupid hyper-extension machine.

i still plan on visiting my regular gym occasionally to get the real deal... just figure it's better making do than doing nothing on days where i don't have the time or energy to drive there.

and yeah i've read all the threads about how bad it is to do deadlifts or anything else for that matter on a smith.

the way i see it, having knowledge/experience of how the actual exercise feels with a barbell, allows me to safely use this machine.

so for now, rack pulls, overhead presses to the chin and bench not completely to the chest, squat to parallel not a2g (when heavier) back, shoulders, knees etc. feel fine.

as for the bent rows with it, not sure i like that one...

we've also got dumbbells so i stick with good old 1-arms.
    Last edited by Jack_Lupino; 03-04-2010 at 09:41 PM.
    "I'm Mr. Beast, the big bad Fenris wolf, I'm The-End-of-the-World-Man, wearing the flesh of fallen angels!" - Jack Lupino

"after the 3rd set he vomited, after the 4th set, he vomited really, really hard, I did not have him perform a 5th set" - Keith Wassung

BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50) BlitzKrag will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hmm thanks for the input guys. I tried them last night on the smith. Its not really a big help for me. Basically I can shrug way more than I am comfortable with pulling. I've never really felt comfortable doing rack pulls.. it always feels like its harder than it should be to get the weight moving. So I have to remove the weight and adjust the safeties anyway. Back to the rack.