Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Need professional critique for training program

I have an interview with Gold's gym tomorrow morning and I am going to be training one of the trainers as a demonstration of my training. I would like someone holding a NASM or ACE certification to review and make suggestions or let me know if this looks okay. Here is what I have planned:

5 minute warm-up on treadmill- 3.5mph

Triceps-

Skull crushers- 4sets: 10-12 reps
    Overhead extentions- 4:10-12
    bench dips- 4:12-15

Biceps-

E-Z bar curls- 4:10-12
    concentration curls- 4:8-10
    alternating dumbell curls or preacher curls- 4:8-10

20 min of HIIT-

1minute of walking at moderate pace
    1minute of sprinting at full intensity

How does this look? Should I include stretching at the beginning, end, middle, or neither?

tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    were you asked to do a split routine for arms for the workout? if not, i'd say that's definitely NOT what you should do.

Let me know if that's what you're supposed to do or not and I'll give you some advice.

Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imant81 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by tovlakas View Post
    were you asked to do a split routine for arms for the workout? if not, i'd say that's definitely NOT what you should do.

Let me know if that's what you're supposed to do or not and I'll give you some advice.
    No, they didn't give me any instruction, they only told me to train someone so they could watch. What would you reccomend?

extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) extremenergy3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

^^^ This.

Also, 1 full minute of sprinting at the end of a workout isn't exactly very good for cooling down back to near resting heart rate after a whole workout...
    [Fat Loss|Nutrition|www.MRTIMOTHYLEE.com|Training|ContestPrep]

jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    you need to ask for the scenario: injuries,goals, experience and special conditions and train according to this

Originally Posted by extremenergy3 View Post
    ^^^ This.

Also, 1 full minute of sprinting at the end of a workout isn't exactly very good for cooling down back to near resting heart rate after a whole workout...

Can someone please recommend a sample work out and what I should focus on? I'm training a personal trainer, not a beginner.

tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250) tovlakas has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Imant81 View Post
    No, they didn't give me any instruction, they only told me to train someone so they could watch. What would you reccomend?
    Alright... your proposed routine is an advanced bodybuilding routine with a stage 2 (potentially stage 3) cardio training session. If you did this with a new beginner client they would likely have a heart attack, both arms would fall off and they would die. Obviously, I'm kidding but seriously, this is WAY too intense of a routine, and doing arms is a poor choice since they are not necessary to train individually unless you're a bodybuilder. Cardio is potentially dangerous if you go too high in exertion without the proper progression... HIIT is SUPER high intensity and is the LAST thing you'd want to start someone on first thing.

First thing I'd suggest is a fitness assessment but if you can't do that, then just follow below:

I'd greatly increase the warmup. Do foam rolling of typically tight muscles (I'd say adductors, lats and calves are almost a guaranteed win) and some active stretching of the same muscles (5-10 reps of 1-2 second hold while contracting antagonist). Follow that up with some slow core exercises, like a floor bridge and an iso-abs and be sure to carefully watch the form and posture during this and give feedback, particularly paying attention to pelvic tilt.

After 1-2 sets of that, you could do a balance exercise on one leg if you want to go textbook style, and then move into cardio or you could skip the balance. Do cardio for 5-10 minutes at ~65% max hr. I like to keep it at 55-65 personally or I get kind of winded but that's because I'm a big p***y so feel free to keep it in Zone 1 hr For perspective purposes, my 65% hr workout is like walking briskly on a treadmill... so this isn't going to be some hardcore cardio.

After they're done with that, I'd do a 4-5 exercise, vertically loaded full body circuit rather than split routine. Most beginner clients will benefit the most from this. Do each exercise one after another with minimal rest between exercises, and at the end rest for 0-90 seconds. Or, if you want to up the intensity do 5-8 squat jumps with 3-5 second hold on landing after each circuit, then only rest 30 seconds, and then repeat the circuit.

Depending on how time is looking you could do one more round if you want... then finish off with some static stretching (20-30 second hold, the typical type of stretching) and foam rolling of same muscles as the warm up. I'd suggest refraining from cardio after the workout, you will likely want your clients doing real cardio on their own to save time for resistance training. Just instruct your fake client to perform up to 30 minutes of cardio at the same HR as they built up to during the warmup--DO NOT tell them to do interval training at this time. Until a client has demonstrated that they can perform about 30 minutes of zone 1 training at the proper heartrate they should not be progressed to zone 2.

For the circuit you could do:

total body exercise followed by
    leg exercise followed by
    back exercise followed by
    chest exercise followed by
    shoulder exercise followed by
    squat jump w/ stabilization followed by
    30 seconds rest, or like i said skip the jump squat and just rest 90 sec.

Do this and you will likely impress them; as a trainer with a new client it's better to be conservative than overly eager to progress the workout.

Can someone please recommend a sample work out and what I should focus on? I'm training a personal trainer, not a beginner.
    It was your mistake not to ask if they wanted you to train him at his current level of fitness, or as a standard client. Since you didn't ask this, I would suggest my proposed routine, better safe than sorry. Besides, why would they want you to do a routine that 99% of your clients won't be at a level to do? That would be idiotic.

Even if they do want you to train him at his level, your routine is not good, sorry. What certification do you have, by the way?

SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by extremenergy3 View Post
    ^^^ This.

I believe he is doing it for conditioning, not for a cool down.

Regardless, being a personal trainer does not mean you have a high level of fitness. I agree with asking for specifics to what population they are considering, goals, etc. They might just want to see how you teach exercises and generally how you interact with clients.

And as far as the HIIT goes, a 1:1 ratio is pretty demanding. Especially if you are saying an ALL out sprint for 1 minute. Very few people could sprint for a minute, take a minute rest, and even come close to doing half of that on the second interval. You either need to reduce the intensity (lower % of max speed), or reduce the work period.

Ctrainer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ctrainer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ctrainer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ctrainer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ctrainer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ctrainer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ctrainer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ctrainer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ctrainer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ctrainer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ctrainer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't hold the certification that you were requesting comments from, but I am going to jump in anyway...correct, you are training a PT BUT they are looking to see if you can train the average joe off the street..not to mention, not all PTs workout like BBers...

Obviously you hold a certification from somewhere?? Look through your study materials..I am sure there are several sample workouts in there for different levels....

but what do I know...I am just an ISSA certified trainer...
    "It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others"

It was your mistake not to ask if they wanted you to train him at his current level of fitness, or as a standard client. Since you didn't ask this, I would suggest my proposed routine, better safe than sorry. Besides, why would they want you to do a routine that 99% of your clients won't be at a level to do? That would be idiotic.

Even if they do want you to train him at his level, your routine is not good, sorry. What certification do you have, by the way?

I did not see a proposed routine from you. What is the routine

McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't think the routine will make any difference.

Why have they asked you to 'train' one of their staff ? To see if you have the ATTITUDE to be a trainer.

Empathy, enthusiasm, excitement, encouragement are more likely what they are seeking rather than a great routine

Oh yeah, and don't call them skull crushers !
    because fitness isn't coincidence

leg exercise followed by

This sounds good. How about this:

total body exercise- squats into shoulder press at top with light dumbells
    leg exercise- lunges
    back exercise- deadlift with light dumbells or standing dumbell rows
    chest exercise- pushups or dumbell flyes
    shoulder exercise- front or lateral dumbell raises

Is this good for a circuit routine?

Originally Posted by Ctrainer View Post
    I don't hold the certification that you were requesting comments from, but I am going to jump in anyway...correct, you are training a PT BUT they are looking to see if you can train the average joe off the street..not to mention, not all PTs workout like BBers...

Obviously you hold a certification from somewhere?? Look through your study materials..I am sure there are several sample workouts in there for different levels....

but what do I know...I am just an ISSA certified trainer...
    Sorry, no offense to ISSA. All certifications welcome to comment. I could only think of those two at that exact moment.

leg exercise followed by

This sounds good. How about this:

total body exercise- squats into shoulder press at top with light dumbells
    leg exercise- lunges
    back exercise- deadlift with light dumbells or standing dumbell rows
    chest exercise- pushups or dumbell flyes
    shoulder exercise- front or lateral dumbell raises

Is this good for a circuit routine?
    Pretty good, yeah.. I'd do squat to CURL to press if possible, adds even more depth to the full body exercise.

Legs looks good... for back i'd stay away from deadlifts if you do it right after legs because they need to rest their legs from the lunges... the standing db rows (or standing cable row or bent over barbell row, or pullups etc) would be excellent.

For chest, pushups sounds good or maybe dips... nice compounds that will hit a lot of muscles.

Shoulder looks good.

Rest looks good. Just curious though, do you have a cert yet or are you trying to get hired without one?

Pretty good, yeah.. I'd do squat to CURL to press if possible, adds even more depth to the full body exercise.

Legs looks good... for back i'd stay away from deadlifts if you do it right after legs because they need to rest their legs from the lunges... the standing db rows (or standing cable row or bent over barbell row, or pullups etc) would be excellent.

For chest, pushups sounds good or maybe dips... nice compounds that will hit a lot of muscles.

Shoulder looks good.

Rest looks good. Just curious though, do you have a cert yet or are you trying to get hired without one?
    I have a certification from IFA (International Fitness Association) and upon hire, I will have 90 days to obtain a cert from ACE, NASM, ISSA, etc. which is what most gyms want.

nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100)
    LOL, never do cardio with a client ever, no matter what sort of "spin" you're putting on it.

Tricep isolations before compounds=bad idea.

Plus, why arms, and then cardio?
    I would've lied if I told you this was easy.

Check out my tumblr: http://nickmanzoni.tumblr.com/

ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have an interview with Gold's gym tomorrow morning and I am going to be training one of the trainers as a demonstration of my training. I would like someone holding a NASM or ACE certification to review and make suggestions or let me know if this looks okay. Here is what I have planned:

Triceps-

Biceps-

20 min of HIIT-

How does this look? Should I include stretching at the beginning, end, middle, or neither?
    Im getting my certification through issa why not do a simple workout here is an example use it. shorten the workout and make changes if you like

5 min run on treadmill at 3.8 mph

chest
    bench 4x6
    incline dumbbell press 3x10
    dumbbell fly 3x10

legs
    squats 4x8
    leg press/calf raises 4x10
    leg extention 3x10

bicepts
    barbell curl 3x6
    rope hammer curl 3x10
    incline dumbbell curl 3x10

tricepts
    close grip bench 3x6
    overhead tri extentions 3x6
    cable press down 3x10

forearms
    barbell wrist curl 3x8

10 min run/walk on treadmill at 3.8 mph

Originally Posted by ironhead_88 View Post
    Im getting my certification through issa why not do a simple workout here is an example use it. shorten the workout and make changes if you like

5 min run on treadmill at 3.8 mph

chest
    bench 4x6
    incline dumbbell press 3x10
    dumbbell fly 3x10

legs
    squats 4x8
    leg press/calf raises 4x10
    leg extention 3x10

bicepts
    barbell curl 3x6
    rope hammer curl 3x10
    incline dumbbell curl 3x10

tricepts
    close grip bench 3x6
    overhead tri extentions 3x6
    cable press down 3x10

forearms
    barbell wrist curl 3x8

10 min run/walk on treadmill at 3.8 mph
    They're called "biceps" and "triceps" firstly, and secondly that proposed routine would take about 3 hours... that's 15 minutes of cardio and 42 (yes, 42) sets of resistance training. Also, you can't judge cardio based on speed because every client is going to respond to various speeds differently, for instance a client of mine is very overweight and even slow walking makes her breathe hard... while another of my clients is more fit and can jog and remain in zone 1... you should go by HR because it's a relative measurement rather than mph because it's an absolute measurement.

ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironhead_88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    They're called "biceps" and "triceps" firstly, and secondly that proposed routine would take about 3 hours... that's 15 minutes of cardio and 42 (yes, 42) sets of resistance training. Also, you can't judge cardio based on speed because every client is going to respond to various speeds differently, for instance a client of mine is very overweight and even slow walking makes her breathe hard... while another of my clients is more fit and can jog and remain in zone 1... you should go by HR because it's a relative measurement rather than mph because it's an absolute measurement.
    i know what they are called for one and two the exercises that i have listed are example of what he could use. its a list that he could take exercises from for that bodypart and combine whith any exercise he wants. im not making the workout for him and never have i said use this whole workout if you read what i said you would see use it (as in take whatever exercise you like and put it in the revise workout if you choose to), shorten the workout (meaning make the length of the workout the length that you want it to be) and when i said mph i said it because that is what he was going by. If he was to do the workouts that one of us put on here then he shouldnt be a trainer but he is smart enough to use the info that was presented to him by everyone who replied to his post to create the workout that he sees fit (our opinions mixed in with his visions or his idea)

read his post again and read the first part of mine....

Triceps-

Biceps-

20 min of HIIT-

cschluti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cschluti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cschluti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cschluti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cschluti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cschluti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I think that's a test.
    Wasn't your first question, "What are the client's goals?"
    --
    http://elevationfit.com - client management and program building software for trainers, finally!