Closed Thread
Page 287 of 297 FirstFirst ... 187 237 277 285 286 287 288 289 ... LastLast
Results 8,581 to 8,610 of 8910
    fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by cooperrun View Post
    Just got word that my most knuckle push ups in one minute attempt was approved at 79. This is my first push up record. I'm stoked. Hopefully they will approve my most chin ups in one minute with a 40 lb pack attempt as well. We shall see . . .

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...-in-one-minute
    Cooperrun! CONGRATS ON THIS FEAT! This is awesome. Didn't realize about this message, sorry!

Originally Posted by tinywrist View Post
    Nice set of 38 Mark, form was on point, and I wish I could hang on the bar that long.

Congrats on the pushup record Coop, 79 is great, but you need to push that to 80 so my OCD feels better.
    Tinywrist, how is your training going?

Originally Posted by IraklisKourtidi View Post
    My only chance for a GWR would be if I improve my 100 for time from my current 5:51 to something like 5 mins, since it would be very mike-chang-y of me to claim a record that can instantly broken. For that, I'd need more training, dropping some weight, etc. - no time for that.
    I thought your best time was 6'05" or so... Now I see you did under 6', this number is insane! for now my aim is to achieve 6'30", I think it is a good number for me.

Also I agree with what you've said about the fatigue of that kind of trainings. I experienced as you know. The most I did was 3 training sessions per week, accumulating some good volume (+5000). I think about what I did and think I have to do it again some day, but the key is the motivation, if you are not 200% motivated to do this, it is absolutely a nonsense. Motivation is always a key but it is a lot more in this kind of feats that take so many hours. 6 pull ups per minute may sound ridiculous but when you are in the 6th hour it's a fight between you - your body - your brain. I think I have many years to take that feat again, here the age is not as important as explosive feats.

The point I dislike the most is the amount of fatigue that affects my body, I was unable of doing many other exercises. However nowadays I'm at a point where I am only training pull ups and squats mainly.
    Extreme pull ups Crew
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fitman84
    http://squeezeandpull.blogspot.com (Spanish)

cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If your problem isn't what fitman84 is (very precisely) describing, you may have a similar problem I had before: on the tendon of the forearm muscle where it meets the elbow. It was happening back when I was doing most of my pull ups in my doorframe bar, which forced a shoulder-wide grip. You said it's the same for you with wide grip, but FWIW it took my body a long time to get used to the motion and shift more of the work to my back muscles and less to the arms.

I use an arc motion in my pull ups - like pushing myself backwards when starting the pull up, vs going straight up. I think this gives a tiny bit more time for my back muscles to do work, which then reduces the work my forearms have to do, since I have more momentum going up.
    To piggyback off this comment, I think that Iraklis may have nailed it. I used a door frame pull up bar for about a decade, and I always had tendonitis issues in that exact spot around the elbow, and it was brutal. So much so that it hurt to shake anyone's hand, or even open a door. At any rate, I've been reading about and trying out going wider than shoulder width for pull ups, and I think that has tremendously helped heal up my body, as well as making my back stronger by engaging more of my back and lat muscles. So give that a go. Go wide! Marcus Bondi, who also has several pull up related GWRs and is a student of the pull up, is a big advocate of going wide.
    Sig line can't be a novel

Registered User IraklisKourtidi's Avatar
    IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by fitman84 View Post
    I thought your best time was 6'05" or so... Now I see you did under 6', this number is insane! for now my aim is to achieve 6'30", I think it is a good number for me.
    Thanks. Here's what worked for me, in case you want to try it... On each weekday morning, I was doing an "almost-max" set and then sets of 3 for a total of 100 pull ups. This way, I never got myself to complete exhaustion, which was key because I was able to do this every day.

In the last few months, work didn't really leave me any time to do any other exercise. So I'm not sure if it helped or not, but it is what it is. It sounds like you're only training squats anyway.

I always use a HIIT app on my phone to time my sets. This helps avoid losing focus. Also (this is probably from the Proceedings of Bro Science Journal) I think the rest between sets brings blood to the arms, so it works against you if you raise them - even briefly - to update that little counter you have.

Another thing that helps me is to squeeze my fingers (especially the middle) towards the bar as I'm going up. I really don't know why. Maybe it keeps you from slipping downwards, so the range of motion is effectively reduced. But that seems to help a bit.

Other than the obvious stretching I do before the 100-for-time workout, I take a few deep breaths before starting, though I'm NOT hyperventilating.

Recently, I've switched to doing weighted pull ups on Friday, to give my body time to recover over the weekend, and to switch things around. I'm not sure if that helped though.

I didn't think I could get my time that low; last year, when I started working on this, I could barely move below 12:30. I really think that putting everything into a daily routine helped. Good luck!

Iraklis
    PRs:
    100 pull ups for time: 5' 51'' youtu.be/2EV1AbZcOo8
    2110 pull ups in 9.5 hours: youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCXHjbXpVYu05EXhf-OSLXHsuBjBuXTXr
    Bodyweight consecutive pull ups: 31
    Bodyweight % max rep: 175% youtu.be/EraVrbuaI64

IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50) IraklisKourtidi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just got word that my most knuckle push ups in one minute attempt was approved at 79. This is my first push up record. I'm stoked. Hopefully they will approve my most chin ups in one minute with a 40 lb pack attempt as well. We shall see . . .
    ]
    I forgot to point out the obvious, but damn! Congratulations.
    By the way, it's amazing how much petty douchiness shows up in the comments section with all the 'I can do that already' comments.

Iraklis
    PRs:
    2110 pull ups in 9.5 hours: youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCXHjbXpVYu05EXhf-OSLXHsuBjBuXTXr

tinywrist is a name known to all. (+5000) tinywrist is a name known to all. (+5000) tinywrist is a name known to all. (+5000) tinywrist is a name known to all. (+5000) tinywrist is a name known to all. (+5000) tinywrist is a name known to all. (+5000) tinywrist is a name known to all. (+5000) tinywrist is a name known to all. (+5000) tinywrist is a name known to all. (+5000) tinywrist is a name known to all. (+5000) tinywrist is a name known to all. (+5000)

Tinywrist, how is your training going?
    Still training often. I recently knocked out a 30 rep max body weight set at 233 lbs body weight. I hadn't done that since my 30 rep set at 235 lbs body weight last December. I have been training more body weight and working towards my goal of 100 reps for time in under 10 minutes @ over 230+ lbs. I am in the 11 minute range currently.

fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000) fitman84 is just really nice. (+1000)
    This man seems to go for the most pull ups in 1 minute. Is nice he puts the rules in the video and then only has straight arms the first 8 reps or so.

Extreme pull ups Crew

cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000) cooperrun is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This man seems to go for the most pull ups in 1 minute. Is nice he puts the rules in the video and then only has straight arms the first 8 reps or so.

Yeah, no straight arm. Have to lock out. That's pretty much rule number 1 for any pull up contest or record attempt.

I forgot to point out the obvious, but damn! Congratulations.
    By the way, it's amazing how much petty douchiness shows up in the comments section with all the 'I can do that already' comments.

Iraklis
    I think that those comments were from when the record was lower and held by others, and the comments were never removed for my record. I only say that because while I never read comments, I did notice I had an unusually large amount of comments for the fact that my record had been posted for 12 hours. It's not like GWR emails the world and says the record has been broken. Though, who knows, because I didn't read any of those comments! I will say that while 79 strict form knuckle push ups in a minute is beatable, as is every record out there, it's tougher than it sounds. GWR is very strict on complete ROM for push ups, and most people that do push ups, like most people that do pull ups, do not have a complete ROM. The difference is gigantic if someone even only has 90% ROM, as that 10% difference can add at least 10% more reps, usually more, since one is less tired and saves time by not having full ROM.

With that said, the knuckle push up record has been getting broken a lot lately, so who knows how long my 79 will last. I'm just pumped that I beat 76, which was a very good number. In fact, when I did my attempt the record was only 58. I'm glad I kept going so hard! By the time GWR reviewed my attempt, the record had I believe been beaten twice, all the way up to 76.

Still training often. I recently knocked out a 30 rep max body weight set at 233 lbs body weight. I hadn't done that since my 30 rep set at 235 lbs body weight last December. I have been training more body weight and working towards my goal of 100 reps for time in under 10 minutes @ over 230+ lbs. I am in the 11 minute range currently.
    Nice work, Tiny. Crazy you can put up 30 reps at 233 lbs. Bravo.

WOD - 100 reps for time with a 45 lb plate strapped to the waist. I did 50 pull ups, then 50 chin ups for the 100 reps. It took forever. 18:28. I thought I'd do it much faster, but that's what it was. I've never done that many reps with a 45 lb plate. Have any of you?

Rested for about 5 min and did 30 chins, rested a few more minutes and did 20 wide grip pull ups. After a few more, did 10 chest to bar neutral grip. All very strict form. Amazing how light BW feels after 100 reps with a 45 lb plate!

WOD - 100 reps for time with a 45 lb plate strapped to the waist. I did 50 pull ups, then 50 chin ups for the 100 reps. It took forever. 18:28. I thought I'd do it much faster, but that's what it was. I've never done that many reps with a 45 lb plate. Have any of you?

Rested for about 5 min and did 30 chins, rested a few more minutes and did 20 wide grip pull ups. After a few more, did 10 chest to bar neutral grip. All very strict form. Amazing how light BW feels after 100 reps with a 45 lb plate!
    This is totally bizarre because I was thinking about the exact same thing yesterday. I did 6 sets of 5 a minute apart, similar to your suggestion on what I should do to improve my max 45 lbs, and I figured next time I'll try 100. The minute apart was for the start times; it wasn't the gap. So with 5 per minute, it would take me at best 20 minutes. However, I wouldn't be able to keep that 5/min pace because my 7th set had to stop at 4. But this is the next thing I'll be working towards.

The best training I've done to improve my BW max from about 24 to about 32 is to train for 100 BW for time, so I'll train for 100 (or maybe 50) weighted 45 lbs for time in case that works the same way. I'll need to figure out some way where I can do it NOT to exhaustion, so I can train every day.
    PRs:

ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I haven't done a practice attempt for "most pull ups in one minute with a 40 lb pack" in forever. So this morning I decided to see where I was. I was pleasantly surprised that I got 26, besting my official record of 25. I just reached out to GWR to see if I can do an official attempt. Once I get word, I'll see where my training is at, and possibly try to go for it. Who knows, the record may not be 25 anymore by the time GWR tells me if I can do the attempt or not. Lots of strong people on this thread!
    I would like to give it a shot but same here by the time I get back to 26 someone will beat it.

Originally Posted by markcunanan View Post

Whats do you guys think?
    Thats awsome I have to get to 40 by next september the hard part will be losing the weight I need to do it. That second pause make it tough.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...-in-one-minute
    Awsome how long did it take to hear back.

Arkileon, the exact place where you feel the pain is where the image says "BICEPS TENDON"?:

For your words seem that it is. If it's there you probably have distal biceps tear. Let me ask you a question: do you do deadlift in your routine? if yes: is the arm where you feel the pain the arm you put in supinated position? It is an injury very common in powerlifters due to the use of mixed grip in deadlift. The supinated arm always tend to "flex" and there is the fault. The small biceps tendon is unable to charge with that amounts of weight. Lot of powerlifters break this tendon.

This is the most common case but here in this thread there is Extremist, who suffered a complete rupture of this tendon and was because of the insane weight he used to put in his weighted pull ups training (he has the guinness world record of the most weighted pull up!). If I'm wrong with your case Extremist, correct me if I'm wrong.

I have experience with this but only was "tendonitis" and was treated with shockwave therapy (the only threapy that really cure the tendon).

All what I have said is assuming your injury is this one, if not, if it's in another place tell us.
    I never had a complete rupture. I had a MRI and and a orthopedic surgeon look at it. He said there was nothing physically wrong and it had to be a inflammation. Sorry to say the pain will take a while to go away and will eventually come back I was on the second time with my right arm and first time on my left. Months of rest is the best thing for it.
    Pullups Max reps: 40 reps
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

Bench: 365 lbs
    Squat: 405 lbs
    Deadlift: 505 lbs
    Press:225 lbs

ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That's really good whats the most you ever weighted?
    Last edited by ExtremistPullup; 11-22-2015 at 07:41 PM.
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

This video might come down because of a copyright strike in the audio I will re-upload at x2 speed with no audio.
    I'm disputing the claim warn-brothers will reply if the see the video I'm sure they will let it go.

Recorded Live
    500 pull-ups in 2 hours and 2 minutes 100 sets of 5.
    (4 of the sets I did let go for a second)

100 reps in 00:22:00 minutes
    200 reps 00:40:30
    292 reps 01:00:00
    300 reps 01:02:00
    350 reps 01:18:00
    375 reps 01:24:00
    400 reps 01:40:00
    425 reps 01:39:00
    450 reps 01:46:32
    500 reps 02:02:00
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BostonRockets has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Started weighted pull ups

55lbs 5x3 3 min rest

goal is 75% bodyweight, so ~120lbs.
    Death is impossible for us to fathom: it is so immense, so frightening, that we will do almost anything to avoid thinking about it. Society is organized to make death invisible, to keep it several steps removed. That distance may seem necessary for our comfort, but it comes with a terrible price: the illusion of limitless time, and a consequent lack of seriousness about daily life. We are running away from the one reality that faces us all.

Originally Posted by ExtremistPullup View Post
    I would like to give it a shot but same here by the time I get back to 26 someone will beat it.

Thats awsome I have to get to 40 by next september the hard part will be losing the weight I need to do it. That second pause make it tough.

Awsome how long did it take to hear back.

I never had a complete rupture. I had a MRI and and a orthopedic surgeon look at it. He said there was nothing physically wrong and it had to be a inflammation. Sorry to say the pain will take a while to go away and will eventually come back I was on the second time with my right arm and first time on my left. Months of rest is the best thing for it.
    Extremist, good to hear from you. Nice job on 500 pull ups. That's a lot of pull ups. It took me almost 6 months to hear back regarding the knuckle push ups, and I still haven't heard back from GWR regarding my weighted chin ups attempt. And yes, I think my 25 reps with a 40 lb pack record is in jeapordy. Profpullups from this thread just submitted a video to GWR doing 27. I'll train hard and see what my body can do. That's all any of us can do.

Extremist, since a 45 lbs weighted pull up is almost like a BW one for someone with your strength, why don't you create a record for 100 weighted for time? It sounds like another easy GWR for you. You'll clean house. I just started training for 100 for time, though not for a record - I'm not anywhere near that territory. It's way, way harder than I thought it would be.
    Last edited by IraklisKourtidi; 11-25-2015 at 11:32 PM.
    PRs:

This video might come down because of a copyright strike in the audio I will re-upload at x2 speed with no audio.
    I'm disputing the claim warn-brothers will reply if the see the video I'm sure they will let it go.

Recorded Live
    (4 of the sets I did let go for a second)
    I already commented in YT, anyway it's obvious this is awesome job for someone of your BW.

Extremist, good to hear from you. Nice job on 500 pull ups. That's a lot of pull ups. It took me almost 6 months to hear back regarding the knuckle push ups, and I still haven't heard back from GWR regarding my weighted chin ups attempt. And yes, I think my 25 reps with a 40 lb pack record is in jeapordy. Profpullups from this thread just submitted a video to GWR doing 27. I'll train hard and see what my body can do. That's all any of us can do.
    The video doesn't seem very "clean", I mean about the angle and the weight check. However, I think the pull ups are perfectly valid. Strong guy!

Extremist, since a 45 lbs weighted pull up is almost like a BW one for someone with your strength, why don't you create a record for 100 weighted for time? It sounds like another easy GWR for you. You'll clean house. I just started training for 100 for time, though not for a record - I'm not anywhere near that territory. It's way, way harder than I thought it would be.
    IraklisKourtidi, with your bodyweight I'm sure you should not have any bodyweight pull ups rival. On the contrary, weighted are more difficult for you.
    Extreme pull ups Crew

I've done 40 lb pack for 26. If the record exists I'll attempt it but not looking to make a new category.
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

Did 150 reps in 11:51 today on my new pull up bar at the house. Not bad. I think if I focused I could perhaps knock about a minute off that. Sub 11:00 is certainly possible.

Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Did 150 reps in 11:51 today on my new pull up bar at the house. Not bad. I think if I focused I could perhaps knock about a minute off that. Sub 11:00 is certainly possible.
    Great time for 150! (Would be quite respectable for 100.) It's encouraging me to try some higher-volume timed training. I tried 100 reps for time a while back though and absolutely tore up my hands. I learned that one has to be careful dismounting the bar!

Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50) Profpullups will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I already commented in YT, anyway it's obvious this is awesome job for someone of your BW.

The video doesn't seem very "clean", I mean about the angle and the weight check. However, I think the pull ups are perfectly valid. Strong guy!

IraklisKourtidi, with your bodyweight I'm sure you should not have any bodyweight pull ups rival. On the contrary, weighted are more difficult for you.

As Cooper and FitMan mentioned (appreciate the shout-outs!), I recently attempted the Guinness record of most reps in a minute with a 40-lb backpack. Below is a link to the video. (You can skip to 1:22, which is when I begin the pullups. Before that I'm just weighing the pack and getting ready.) Interested to hear feedback on the form.

youtu.be/V5PH53WKeLg

-Prof

MizzouCocoa is a name known to all. (+5000) MizzouCocoa is a name known to all. (+5000) MizzouCocoa is a name known to all. (+5000) MizzouCocoa is a name known to all. (+5000) MizzouCocoa is a name known to all. (+5000) MizzouCocoa is a name known to all. (+5000) MizzouCocoa is a name known to all. (+5000) MizzouCocoa is a name known to all. (+5000) MizzouCocoa is a name known to all. (+5000) MizzouCocoa is a name known to all. (+5000) MizzouCocoa is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's probably been answered countless times, but could you guys give tips on how to structure training around pull ups as a primary movement?

I can do 15 or 16 bodyweight pull ups and want to use them to build my back. Deadlifts are no longer an option given my lower back injury history..

How do you get into high volume pulling? Do them every day? Devote a day entirely to timed pull ups? Any tips greatly appreciated

Originally Posted by Profpullups View Post
    Great time for 150! (Would be quite respectable for 100.) It's encouraging me to try some higher-volume timed training. I tried 100 reps for time a while back though and absolutely tore up my hands. I learned that one has to be careful dismounting the bar!
    Profpullups, try using the newgrip neoprene gloves. I've been using them for daily 100-for-time training and they've been great in protecting my hands. They still allow your hands to build calluses, but in a more controlled fashion, vs getting a bunch of little rock-like bumps that can peel off.

I've been meaning to ask... is 'prof' for professional? or professor?

Iraklis
    PRs:

Nice job Cooper! You should upload a photo of your new pull ups bar set up! Is it from any brand or handmade?

Originally Posted by MizzouCocoa View Post
    It's probably been answered countless times, but could you guys give tips on how to structure training around pull ups as a primary movement?

I can do 15 or 16 bodyweight pull ups and want to use them to build my back. Deadlifts are no longer an option given my lower back injury history..

How do you get into high volume pulling? Do them every day? Devote a day entirely to timed pull ups? Any tips greatly appreciated
    I will shot my opinion.
    There are some "classics" in terms of pull up workouts:

- Do something like 5 sets. First set go to failure, rest 2'-4' and do 4-5 more sets till failure.
    - One max set everyday for 5 days.
    - 50 pull ups for time.
    - 100 pull ups for time.

All that workouts are what I think we can call "basics".

How many workouts/week? Here we have some cases that train pull ups twice a week with excellent results, and other cases (less common) like markcunan that train pull ups everyday.

I've always say every person is a different case. You have to see how you recover between workouts. Sometimes more is not better. Accumulating tones of fatigue is stupid because then you'll never improve your numbers. The key is to find that point that allows you to keep improving.

I'd recommend to give a try with that workouts during some time. I'm 100% sure you will see some improvement with that. I'd recommend not doing more than 3 pull up workouts per week at the beginning.
    Extreme pull ups Crew

Originally Posted by MizzouCocoa View Post

Fitman pretty much summed it up. Start with 2 or maybe 3 days a week. I do 2 days a week, but my volume is relatively high. I typically do 140 - 180 reps when I do my pull ups per session. Some people may do that same volume, but spread it out over 3 workouts a week, or some over 7 workouts a week.

Like anything else, mix it up. If you go twice a week, have one day be harder on the body than another. For example, 5 sets till failure is generally harder on the body than 50 or 100 reps for time. Just experiment with volume and intensity. Change grips up too from pull up to chin up to palms facing. Add some weighted pull ups too if you want to get a little more size. Or just stick to BW if you want to keep leaner and have more of a basic training build.

Also, and likely you are dong this anyway, be sure to do push ups, hand stand push ups, or weight training for your chest, shoulder and triceps so as to not neglect those body parts and get imbalanced.

Profpullups, try using the newgrip neoprene gloves. I've been using them for daily 100-for-time training and they've been great in protecting my hands. They still allow your hands to build calluses, but in a more controlled fashion, vs getting a bunch of little rock-like bumps that can peel off.

I've been meaning to ask... is 'prof' for professional? or professor?

Iraklis
    Thanks for the tip, Iraklis. I've been shy to use gloves in the past, as they seem to weaken my grip a bit. But the ones you describe sound like they'd do the trick. It's very impressive that you've gotten your 100rep time down below 6. Also interesting (and impressive) that you resort to triples rather than singles after the first set.

Prof is for "professor" -- I teach philosophy when I am not doing pull-ups. Although I suppose pull-ups training is like a second job, or "profession"!

Fitman pretty much summed it up. Start with 2 or maybe 3 days a week. I do 2 days a week, but my volume is relatively high. I typically do 140 - 180 reps when I do my pull ups per session. Some people may do that same volume, but spread it out over 3 workouts a week, or some over 7 workouts a week.

Like anything else, mix it up. If you go twice a week, have one day be harder on the body than another. For example, 5 sets till failure is generally harder on the body than 50 or 100 reps for time. Just experiment with volume and intensity. Change grips up too from pull up to chin up to palms facing. Add some weighted pull ups too if you want to get a little more size. Or just stick to BW if you want to keep leaner and have more of a basic training build.

Also, and likely you are dong this anyway, be sure to do push ups, hand stand push ups, or weight training for your chest, shoulder and triceps so as to not neglect those body parts and get imbalanced.

I agree with FitMan and Cooper. Cross-training, in my opinion, is very helpful for being good at pull-ups. Doing things like shoulder presses, push-ups, squats, and other movements is also important to help avoid injury and to have another go-to movement/exercise when one does get injured. Although I only do pull-ups 2 days/week, I'm doing other workouts on other days, including a good deal of running. For my pull-up workouts, I don't do quite as much volume as Cooper, but I do go quite heavy once a week. I find I need three full days to fully recover after a heavy pull-ups workout.

Thanks for the tip, Iraklis. I've been shy to use gloves in the past, as they seem to weaken my grip a bit. But the ones you describe sound like they'd do the trick. It's very impressive that you've gotten your 100rep time down below 6. Also interesting (and impressive) that you resort to triples rather than singles after the first set.

Prof is for "professor" -- I teach philosophy when I am not doing pull-ups. Although I suppose pull-ups training is like a second job, or "profession"!
    These are actually more like pads than gloves per se, though I'm sure you noticed that. You're right - they probably weaken the grip a bit, because they increase friction with the bar, reducing the need to grip as tightly to avoid slipping backwards/downwards by a fraction of an inch.

Thanks for your kind words, but why are 3 impressive? I do sets of 3 because I hang my entire body when doing pull ups - vs folding my knees backwards - so it's not easy to do 1 at a time. I'd be wasting a lot of time with my arms up, just getting ready for that 1 pull up. So 3 pull ups is a good tradeoff for amortizing that setup time. I feel like every time my arms are up, it keeps them from resting. I tried 4 at a time and that ended up being too tiring.

Prof is for "professor" -- I teach philosophy when I am not doing pull-ups.
    Your 38 reps are impressive by anyone's standards, let alone philosophers! I believe Schopenhauer only went up to 8 BW reps, and then Hegel criticized him on his form.
    PRs:

I tried 100 2 days ago but stopped at ~80 and wasn't very organized. This morning, I did 100 with an initial set of 10 and sets of 2 every 30 secs (with a few of those being sets of 3). Total time was ~21-22 mins. I'll keep working on this to see how low I can do it. I'm hoping I can improve my 45 lbs weighted max set this way.
    PRs:

Closed Thread