Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    chaseutley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chaseutley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chaseutley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chaseutley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chaseutley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chaseutley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chaseutley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Save the SMELLY Protein Shaker Bottles!!

Some of you may have seen this before, but I just wanted to give my own testimonial since this is something I have wanted to cure for years.

Smelly Protein Shaker Bottles.

I would have 100 shaker bottles by now, but every time i leave one in my car, or leave one unwashed, it has to be trashed, because every time i use it after that, it smells horrid.

So I took my shaker bottle, which had been sitting in my trunk with a nice little 2 month old backwash of some whey protein, and opened it. I threw up in my mouth. Then I tried to dishwash it, no help; i feel like it even smelled up my dishwasher. Frustrated that I was about to throw out another shaker bottle, I turned to an old home remedy.

**Follow these steps to clean it out perfectly**
    1. Bring a pot of water to a boil (just enough to cover the shaker bottle)
    2. Dump in about a cup of vinegar, I used red wine vinegar, but thats just because its all I had.
    3. Disassemble your shaker bottle and put all the parts into the boiling vinegar/water mixture.
    4. Let it simmer for about an hour to an hour and a half. Preferably covered so that less evaporates (i.e. your apt. will smell less than it would uncovered)
    5. At this time you will notice that not only does your whole dwelling smell of vinegar, but if you take the lid off of your pot, and smell the water, the water now smells like the nastiness that once was your shaker bottle. This means your in good shape, the smell has left the plastic, with help of the acetic acid (vinegar) and is now diluted in your water mixture.
    6. Remove the bottle, and its parts, add dishwashing soap to it and rinse it out.

Voila! The smell is completely gone (and no residue of nasty vinegar smell either).

There couldn't be a simpler way of saving those nasty smelling shaker bottles.

Good Luck!

(Hopefully this doesn't hurt BB.com's revenue on shaker bottles )

CURB-DOG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CURB-DOG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CURB-DOG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CURB-DOG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CURB-DOG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CURB-DOG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CURB-DOG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CURB-DOG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CURB-DOG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CURB-DOG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CURB-DOG has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Not bad.

When my shaker cups get stank, I pour some listerine in the cup, shake it a bit. Let it sit for 10 mins, shake again and then rinse. It usually does the trick. Since listerine is strong enough to kill the bacteria in your mouth, it does a pretty good job on the cup.
    Let the gains begin.

Row-gain!

Pain-4-Gain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pain-4-Gain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pain-4-Gain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pain-4-Gain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pain-4-Gain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pain-4-Gain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pain-4-Gain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pain-4-Gain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pain-4-Gain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pain-4-Gain is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pain-4-Gain is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    nice, ill have to give this a try next time
    I've forgotten fear,pain,and doubt,remembered pride and determination,and invented a new man.

Mom says "Alchohol is your enemy"... Jesus says "Love your enemy".

~~~ Brothers of Iron ~~~

I rep back!

topcop8p7 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) topcop8p7 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) topcop8p7 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) topcop8p7 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) topcop8p7 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) topcop8p7 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) topcop8p7 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) topcop8p7 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) topcop8p7 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) topcop8p7 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) topcop8p7 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Awesome, will definitely try this. I couldn't tell you how many shaker bottles I've thrown out cuz I left them in my car then couldn't get the smell out no matter what I tried!
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a nonlinear, nonsubjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100)
    Shakers are free here.

weezyjaunt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezyjaunt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezyjaunt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezyjaunt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezyjaunt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezyjaunt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezyjaunt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezyjaunt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezyjaunt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezyjaunt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weezyjaunt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've never had any problems and I just rinse with hot water and don't screw the lid on when im not using it, I assume that's how they get so gross
    *SoClose*

Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz
    You keep your shaker and parts in a pot that was just boiling?

Edit: Not really sure, is the pot still being heated while your shaker is in there? Not sure how safe that is, lol.
    Last edited by highdie; 03-03-2010 at 03:58 PM.

GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoBigBlue is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks for that. I have had that issue quite a few times. Never thought of that though. Good stuff.

Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I left a drank shaker in my trunk over the last summer. Right in the trash!
    🎄⛄🎄In🎄⛄🎄

giantbrandon is just really nice. (+1000) giantbrandon is just really nice. (+1000) giantbrandon is just really nice. (+1000) giantbrandon is just really nice. (+1000) giantbrandon is just really nice. (+1000) giantbrandon is just really nice. (+1000) giantbrandon is just really nice. (+1000) giantbrandon is just really nice. (+1000) giantbrandon is just really nice. (+1000) giantbrandon is just really nice. (+1000) giantbrandon is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Black_Label View Post
    I left a drank shaker in my trunk over the last summer. Right in the trash!
    i lost one and found it in my tool box in the shed a few months later lol it was all mold ridden and yuk it went in the bin shortly after putting it in my mates faces to smell
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Aussie Supp Misc Family~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Pale Skippy Krew~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/ocs-treaties-compliance-prohibited-impexp-precursor.htm

reps back always

Registered User & Abuser Magnumtripod's Avatar
    Magnumtripod is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Magnumtripod is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Magnumtripod is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Magnumtripod is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Magnumtripod is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Magnumtripod is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Magnumtripod is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Magnumtripod is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Magnumtripod is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Magnumtripod is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Magnumtripod is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Reps OP! I'm going to try this. I had to throw out a shaker bottle before. I have 2 now. One that stinks and one that's still good. Would be nice to have 2 that I can use.

chaseutley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chaseutley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chaseutley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chaseutley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chaseutley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chaseutley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chaseutley has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

perfectly safe, just dont leave it cooking over night, unattended!!!

Originally Posted by highdie View Post
    You keep your shaker and parts in a pot that was just boiling?

Edit: Not really sure, is the pot still being heated while your shaker is in there? Not sure how safe that is, lol.
    It's perfectly safe, as long as the pot doesnt boil dry, then you will be just simply heating up plastic.

The water doesnt get to above 212?F (well a little more because of the vinegar mix) but still nowhere near the melting point of the plastic polymer used in your shaker bottles.

Keep the water level above the level of your shaker bottle and parts (just need a 4-qt soup pot) so that you dont make contact with the plastic and the metal of the pot (to avoid conductive heat transfer) and you will be just fine!

Worst comes to worse, your shaker bottle will expand a little, but it should condense back when you cool it, push comes to shove it might be a little tighter when you put the lid back on, but thats why your working out in the first place, right?

Trust me, i study this **** in college.

Works like a charm.

the amazing part is, i washed this thing literally twice in the dishwasher before attempting this and it still smelled absolutely horrible, but when it got out of the vinegar soup, it smelled like new.

JoeBroDude will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeBroDude will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeBroDude will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeBroDude will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeBroDude will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeBroDude will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeBroDude will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeBroDude will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeBroDude will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeBroDude will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeBroDude will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I used to use the same one for myofusion and intrabolic left it with lil myofusion in it vacation for a week. Egg protein for the lose

Calibrating.. please wait Final_Rep's Avatar
    Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz
    I find that I use my bottle so often that it never really has a chance to get stale.

Still, occasionally it does. When that happens I use hot water and a lot of salt, which seems to do the trick. Seems like your method is good too -- I'll try it if I get a really nasty one
    All Hail the Ultimate Master, "I Know More Than The Generals Do", Donald Camacho Dr. Pepper X-Ray AR-15 Trump
    BRB getting Brawndo, it has what plants need
    BRB Welcome to Costco, I Love You

mattx2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattx2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattx2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattx2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattx2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattx2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattx2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattx2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattx2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattx2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mattx2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    hour of monitoring boiling water and house smells like vinegar? heh, sometimes it's worth just buying a new one

atalley23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) atalley23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Put a peice of balled up newspaper in the clean but offensive shaker and put it in the freezer overnight.
    One Decision, One Committment, One Life

user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    nice

just live with the idea that you should be cleaning out your shakers, at least rinsing them out at the water fountain, after every use, and you are golden

no need to waste time boiling them lol
    Gaspari Nutrition Rep and Overall BAMF
    www.gasparinutrition.com
    alec @ gasparinutrition.com

Turning into a pirate-grizzy bear hybrid! --- Bulkin to 230!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127371573

TRAIN INSANE: http://vimeo.com/7472199

zackmorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zackmorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zackmorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zackmorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zackmorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zackmorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zackmorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zackmorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zackmorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zackmorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zackmorris is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Good post. Mine start smelling pretty gnarly sometimes as well.

Somebody told me it's not good to use (for drinking) plastics for long periods of time. Any truth to this?

DJBlum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah I definitely know the smell you are talking about.
    Currently I only have one shaker bottle which I use everyday. So after use I will fill it with water, and let it soak the next 24 hours. The next day it will smell pretty bad, but after I clean it with dish soap, it's usually pretty fine.
    The days that I forget to soak it overnight, it smells horrible the next day. But soaking it really helps get out the left over dried up whey that sticks to the sides and bottoms

homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by zackmorris View Post
    Good post. Mine start smelling pretty gnarly sometimes as well.

Somebody told me it's not good to use (for drinking) plastics for long periods of time. Any truth to this?
    Hes right. plastics should be replaced every so often. Especially something as cheap as a shaker bottle. Next time you order from bb.com just ask the live chat customer service if you can have an extra 2. I bet they will do it.

Just BB.com'in it...... trainhard8624's Avatar
    trainhard8624 is a name known to all. (+5000) trainhard8624 is a name known to all. (+5000) trainhard8624 is a name known to all. (+5000) trainhard8624 is a name known to all. (+5000) trainhard8624 is a name known to all. (+5000) trainhard8624 is a name known to all. (+5000) trainhard8624 is a name known to all. (+5000) trainhard8624 is a name known to all. (+5000) trainhard8624 is a name known to all. (+5000) trainhard8624 is a name known to all. (+5000) trainhard8624 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by CURB-DOG View Post
    Not bad.

When my shaker cups get stank, I pour some listerine in the cup, shake it a bit. Let it sit for 10 mins, shake again and then rinse. It usually does the trick. Since listerine is strong enough to kill the bacteria in your mouth, it does a pretty good job on the cup.
    Thanks OP, but this sounds much easier to try first....
    Sci-Fit Representative

www.scifitauthentic.com
    forum.scifitauthentic.com

Any views or opinions presented are those of the author and do not represent the company. Representatives of Scifit are required not to make defamatory statements and not to infringe. The company will not accept any liability in respect of such communication, and the reps responsible will be personally liable for any damages or other liability arising.-

Dertygen is not very helpful. (-500) Dertygen is not very helpful. (-500) Dertygen is not very helpful. (-500) Dertygen is not very helpful. (-500) Dertygen is not very helpful. (-500) Dertygen is not very helpful. (-500) Dertygen is not very helpful. (-500) Dertygen is not very helpful. (-500) Dertygen is not very helpful. (-500) Dertygen is not very helpful. (-500) Dertygen is not very helpful. (-500)
    oh god... thread has reminded me of the stank...

... the stank...

... old milk and protein powder...

... oh god...

BTW: Nice tips ya'll

Cyntil will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyntil will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyntil will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyntil will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyntil will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyntil will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyntil will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyntil will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyntil will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyntil will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyntil will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i keep my shaker in the fridge with 8oz water in it at all times. never ever smells anymore. also, always have cold water in it!

MrHardness is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrHardness is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrHardness is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrHardness is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrHardness is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrHardness is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrHardness is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrHardness is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrHardness is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrHardness is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MrHardness is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Dont be cheap and buy$$$$ a METAL shaker

YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Finally something I can try to get the stink out of my old shaker!

figsman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) figsman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) figsman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) figsman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) figsman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) figsman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) figsman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) figsman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) figsman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) figsman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) figsman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I clean mine with a mixture of bleach and water, let it sit. Then wash it out a couple of times. Works well.
    learning my way through this

*I rep back*
    comeback10percent

ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    have none of you heard of bleach before?

potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) potionmaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    bleach or any other acidic substance if used a little strong...some of that coating from the plastic bottle will be in your next shake and thereon

BHendrix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BHendrix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BHendrix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BHendrix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BHendrix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BHendrix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BHendrix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BHendrix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BHendrix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BHendrix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BHendrix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    nice tips everyone..thanks OP