Some of you may have seen this before, but I just wanted to give my own testimonial since this is something I have wanted to cure for years.
Smelly Protein Shaker Bottles.
I would have 100 shaker bottles by now, but every time i leave one in my car, or leave one unwashed, it has to be trashed, because every time i use it after that, it smells horrid.
So I took my shaker bottle, which had been sitting in my trunk with a nice little 2 month old backwash of some whey protein, and opened it. I threw up in my mouth. Then I tried to dishwash it, no help; i feel like it even smelled up my dishwasher. Frustrated that I was about to throw out another shaker bottle, I turned to an old home remedy.
**Follow these steps to clean it out perfectly**
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil (just enough to cover the shaker bottle)
2. Dump in about a cup of vinegar, I used red wine vinegar, but thats just because its all I had.
3. Disassemble your shaker bottle and put all the parts into the boiling vinegar/water mixture.
4. Let it simmer for about an hour to an hour and a half. Preferably covered so that less evaporates (i.e. your apt. will smell less than it would uncovered)
5. At this time you will notice that not only does your whole dwelling smell of vinegar, but if you take the lid off of your pot, and smell the water, the water now smells like the nastiness that once was your shaker bottle. This means your in good shape, the smell has left the plastic, with help of the acetic acid (vinegar) and is now diluted in your water mixture.
6. Remove the bottle, and its parts, add dishwashing soap to it and rinse it out.
Voila! The smell is completely gone (and no residue of nasty vinegar smell either).
There couldn't be a simpler way of saving those nasty smelling shaker bottles.
(Hopefully this doesn't hurt BB.com's revenue on shaker bottles )