krystyna323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krystyna323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krystyna323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krystyna323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krystyna323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking How Much Cardio Should I be Doing?

Hello,

I have a cardio question... Well, first let me give you a little background. I am 5'4 150lbs. I know that may sound a little heavy but I am just a heavy girl. I am a size 6. But anyways, I have been working out consistently for 3 weeks and I have gained 2 lbs. My eating has been clean but I think I was eating too much food including too much protein. So I am now shooting for 1500 calories a day and 60- 140 grams of protein.

But also, I am wondering if I am doing too much cardio... I work out about 4-5 days a week, on Lifting days I do 17-20 min cardio by walking on an extreme incline on the treadmill. And on non-lifting days I do about 40-1 hr. of different intense cardio.

Is that too much or should I add something else. I would really like to lose 10 lbs, lean out and drop a size in a couple of months.

(I am not only doing this until summer and then quitting. I am really making this a lifestyle, but I want to get right by summer)
    Last edited by krystyna323; 03-02-2010 at 08:29 PM.

runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by krystyna323 View Post
    Hello,

I have a cardio question... Well, first let me give you a little background. I am 5'4 150lbs. I know that may sound a little heavy but I am just a heavy girl. I am a size 6. But anyways, I have been working out consistently for 3 weeks and I have gained 2 lbs. My eating has been clean but I think I was eating too much food including too much protein. So I am now shooting for 1500 calories a day and 60- 140 grams of protein.

But also, I am wondering if I am doing too much cardio... I work out about 4-5 days a week, on Lifting days I do 17-20 min cardio by walking on an extreme incline on the treadmill. And on non-lifting days I do about 40-1 hr. of different intense cardio.

Is that too much or should I add something else. I would really like to lose 10 lbs, lean out and drop a size in a couple of months.

(I am not only doing this until summer and then quitting. I am really making this a lifestyle, but I want to get right by summer)

Having a range that big for protein seems a bit much...you should get on a solid macro split, lift heavy, and add cardio as needed......
    "I can feel the wind go by when I run.
    It feels good. It feels fast."

We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121848731
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=106870791

krystyna323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krystyna323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krystyna323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krystyna323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krystyna323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by runner03 View Post
    Having a range that big for protein seems a bit much...you should get on a solid macro split, lift heavy, and add cardio as needed......
    That's the thing... I am not sure how much cardio is needed. I'm used to the old skool thinking of lift light and heavy on the cardio to "tone up". But I have been reading multiple threads where people are saying that people ar edoing too much cardio and that is why they are gaining weight or not losing any...

SO it had just left me a little confus-ed...

felicity79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by krystyna323 View Post
    That's the thing... I am not sure how much cardio is needed. I'm used to the old skool thinking of lift light and heavy on the cardio to "tone up". But I have been reading multiple threads where people are saying that people ar edoing too much cardio and that is why they are gaining weight or not losing any...

SO it had just left me a little confus-ed...
    What I have learned recently lurking around on this forum is that if I lift heavy and eat at a calore deficit (nothing too extreme), just a few hundred caloires below maintenance, that I am able to lose fat without doing hardly any cardio. Like seriously, I have only been doing cardio once or twice a week and am getting results. I have only learned this recently after seeing people like Kimm4, kfisherX and Emma-leigh mention it, and they are totally right!!! It's working, I haven't had to do hardly any cardio and I am losing weight, clothes are fitting better.

If you like cardio and want to do it, then go for it, but I wouldn't want to waste my time doing something 5 or 6 days a week that is not necessary. If I were you, I would do cardio like 2 times a week for general heart health, and if fat loss is your goal, then make sure you are eating in a calorie deficit and are lifting heavy weights. Good luck.

Originally Posted by felicity79 View Post
    What I have learned recently lurking around on this forum is that if I lift heavy and eat at a calore deficit (nothing too extreme), just a few hundred caloires below maintenance, that I am able to lose fat without doing hardly any cardio. Like seriously, I have only been doing cardio once or twice a week and am getting results. I have only learned this recently after seeing people like Kimm4, kfisherX and Emma-leigh mention it, and they are totally right!!! It's working, I haven't had to do hardly any cardio and I am losing weight, clothes are fitting better.

If you like cardio and want to do it, then go for it, but I wouldn't want to waste my time doing something 5 or 6 days a week that is not necessary. If I were you, I would do cardio like 2 times a week for general heart health, and if fat loss is your goal, then make sure you are eating in a calorie deficit and are lifting heavy weights. Good luck.
    Thank you very much!!! You have been VERY helpful :-)