jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Just Joined A Gym!

Hey all, I've been hanging around the forum for awhile. The progress posts have kept me motivated to join and get started on my own fitness routine. I just joined a Golds Gym this week, but I have never been to a gym before, besides using the equipment at my high school weight lifting class. So I had a few questions...

Firstly, I'm about 150lbs and 5'9". I wouldn't mind losing an inch of fat around the middle, but my real goal is to actually gain weight. I'd like to, like most other guys of course, gain muscle and also lower my body fat.

My measurements on Jan 17 2010 were:
    - Bicep 12 inches
    - Chest 38 inches
    - Waist 33.5 inches
    My measurements on Feb 24 2010 were:
    - Bicep 13 inches
    - Chest 38.5 inches
    - Waist 34 inches

I'm not sure if I measured differently or if I really did gain fat (I don't suspect it to be muscle since I don't work out currently).

Second, My current diet is:
    - 7am: 3 sandwhich bags of vegetables/fruits, 1 sandwhich bag of animal crackers
    - 12pm: 2 fiber bars and a sandwhich
    - 4pm: apple OR a handful of animal crackers
    - 7pm: an entire plate of meat and starches (this varies so I can't give you a better description)

I drink water only.

Third, at worst I can run one mile every ten minutes on a treadmill (last done late 2009). As best as I can remember from mid-2009, I can bench 130lbs at about 3 sets of 8 reps. I can 'leg extension' about 170lbs at 3 sets of 8 reps. I can 'arm curl' about 40lbs (same rep/set).

Lastly, I intend to hit the gym between 4pm-7pm. I usually fix dinner at 6pm though.

1) I am not sure if I should begin by losing the little fat I have now, then bulk, or if I should bulk and then cut. What would you say?

2) I've seen a number of diets on here, which include lots of protein and calories (2500-3000) if I am bulking. Eggs, chicken, tuna, milk, cheese, pasta, fruits, and veges. Should I stick to a diet similar to this and those I've seen or should I have a diet very much personalized to my own needs? If I am cutting first, I may want to stick to my current diet or reduce calories further. What kind of diet would you recommend?

3) In addition, what kind of supplements would be recommended and what does each do for me? Creatine sounds fairly popular, and I figured I would use that to start.

4) I have experience with these exercises:
    - Leg press
    - Leg curl
    - Leg extension
    - Arm curl
    - Bench/Shoulder/Military Press

- The Lat Pull I have seen/heard of several variations, and I'm not sure which is correct, or which technique to use with the Lat Pull.

With this info, what would be the proper workout routine for me? Can you guys offer some guidance on other workouts I do not have much experience with?

Thanks for the help. If you need more info let me know. I was intending on working things out with a personal trainer at the gym, but from what I have heard, I may not get much out of them unless I pay them.

jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jaykf014 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My starting workout program and diet. I begin the workout today, identifying appropriate weights this week and getting comfortable with the routine. The diet begins this weekend. What do you guys think of my program? I'm sure it could use a little work. Thanks!

Monday

Off day - school

Tuesday

Off day - personal day that can be interchanged for any of the workout days

Wednesday - Chest/Biceps

Bench Press
    Flys
    Cable Press
    Preacher Curl
    Dips
    Dumbbell Ham Curl

Thursday - Legs

Squats
    Leg Press
    Leg Extension
    Leg Curl
    Calf Raise

Friday - Shoulder/Triceps

Military Press
    Side Lat Raise
    Tricep Push Down
    Tricep Kickback
    Shrugs

Saturday - Cardio/Abs

Treadmill 20min
    About 4 ab workouts, I haven't checked out the equipment for abs yet...

Sunday - Back

Seated Row
    Lat Pull
    Chin Ups
    T-Bar Row (if they have it, i dont remember seeing it)

Diet

8am

Whey Protein Shake
    2 slices of bread with peanut butter
    3 cheese slices or string cheese
    1 egg white

10am

almonds or trail mix
    raisins
    4 fruits

1pm

1 chicken breast
    1 canned tuna
    3 sandwich bags of vegetables

3pm - Just prior to workout

Whey Protein Shake
    Deli ham or turkey
    1 egg white

5pm - Just after workout

1 egg white
    almonds or trail mix
    raisins

7pm

Equivalent of 2 chicken breasts (steak, fish, ham, ground beef, etc)
    2 potatoes OR rice
    2 slices of bread with peanut butter
    3 slices of cheese
    1 egg white
    1 sandwich bag of vegetable
    1 fruit

9pm

Bedtime - Whey Protein Shake