Page 3 of 275 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    Bloody but unbowed fittofattofit's Avatar
    fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by davidkap View Post
    hey, i know im not over 35 but still wanted to make a post.

way too go man, your a true optimist, even though you suffered this injury im confident you will make a great recovery.

i have had some problems with my RC (i was doing a 5x5 program at 225 for bench, that day i decided to push that 6th rep, and my RC tore) anyway that's nothing compared to your injury, but i wanted to tell that this thread is a source of inspiration to me too keep going and not let setbacks stand in the way of my goal.

btw still look great for losing that much muscle, i know how it feels, my meniscus in my right knee is torn as well (doing squats) and now my right quad is atrophied.
    (not going to be able to work legs for quite a while, at least until i get surgery) but when i see what you have been through, and you keep going..... pure motivation is all i can say.

i wish you the best of luck in your recovery and your training. I am sure, once you are healed, you will be stronger, and bigger then ever.
    Thanks. You've got plenty of good quality mass for 17!
    If you train heavy and hard, you are bound to get some injuries, but I do think that if you listen to your body you should be able to train around your injuries and take the opportunity to correct your weaknesses. There is very little reason to stop training altogether! In my own case, I have recovered well so far and the physio was very impressed with my progress today. I believe that having good muscle mass and strong tendons from my training has given me a good basis from which to recover!

fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    31st March

Personal training session today (haven't done it for 8 weeks)
    Did core work and lunges with a medicine ball.
    Tried to do the lunges first with a bar across the shoulder and coudn't grip it cos I've got NO
    external rotation - what I thought was an improvement in my range of external rotation was in fact increased scapular retraction! - I'll really need to work on that!!

30 mins
    Soft!

1st April. 6 weeks and 3 days post-op

Upper body

Deadlifts 5 sets x 10 x 176lbs
    Bent over BB rows 5 sets x 10 x 76lbs (bar + 5kgs each end - strict focussing on lats)
    DB bench 5 sets x 20 x 5.5lbs
    I could feel it in the shoulder when I picked up the 11 lbs, so dropped to the 5.5lbs

Roman chair sit-ups 2 x 20

Concentrated today on form and using the full ROM. Physio told me to start rowing exercises without weight, but I'd been doing that anyway, then with the bar, so next step was to add weights, and I've had no pain in the shoulder - still have to work on external rotation tho'!
    Good to use upper body again, and L shoulder is starting to fill out again, and the scar has flattened right out!.
    Last edited by fittofattofit; 03-31-2010 at 02:40 PM.

robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by fittofattofit View Post
    Did core work and lunges with a medicine ball.
    ???? Can you explain how you do these?
    RDF

The pain that greets me, is the stick that beats me...

My Journey:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151219463

Originally Posted by robertfah View Post
    ???? Can you explain how you do these?
    You stand on one leg, with the other extended behind with the toes resting on the bench.
    I used a medicine ball clasped to my chest as the 'weight' , rather than a bar.
    I squat low and could feel it in the glutes and hammies

I also held a medicine ball at arm's length to exercise my stabilising muscles in my shoulder whilst lying on a bench and doing a straight leg raise to activate my core.
    Another good exercise

robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000)
    You stand on one leg, with the other extended behind with the toes resting on the bench.
    I used a medicine ball clasped to my chest as the 'weight' , rather than a bar.
    I squat low and could feel it in the glutes and hammies

I also held a medicine ball at arm's length to exercise my stabilising muscles in my shoulder whilst lying on a bench and doing a straight leg raise to activate my core.
    Another good exercise
    Oh ok....I've seen this before, just not with the medicine ball. Interesting, I"ll have to try it sometime.
    RDF

My Journey:

3rd March 2010. 6 weeks 5 days post-op. 169lbs and looking lean

Legs/lats

Technogym leg press 5 x 20 x 90, 100, 110, 120, 130
    someone was waiting for the machine so didn't do the calves
    Leg extension 4 x 10 x 143
    Seated leg curl 10, 10, 8, 8, 7 x 110lb
    seated rows (strict) 5 x 12 x 30kg (76lbs)
    RC exercises

70 mins (was talking to a PT for 10 tho')

Rows were good - strict and focussed on using the lats and squeezing the scaps
    I'm going to keep this strict in future, but will go up on weight next time!

Really feeling good training and there's no problem with the shoulder, but I have to stretch the RC in external rotation - my L (injured) arm can get to 10 degrees now, but my R arm only rotates to about 40 degrees. I realize that my shoulder injuries over the years have come about because I have little flexibility there and that I've over-extended under load and torn the RC muscles - most often thru' throwing up heavy DBs for incline Bench Presses!! I really have to work on flexibility for both shoulders before I get back to heavy pressing!

I was supposed to go out with the kids but they wanted to go shopping!
    Went to the gym again instead because it's closed tomorrow

3rd March again

Arms and core

EZ bar curl 5 sets x 10 x 30kg (66lbs) s..t..r..i..c..t
    EZ bar curl 3 sets x 15 x 20kg (44lbs)
    RC stretches
    V bar triceps ext 1 set x 15 x 60lbs
    4 sets x 10 x 70lbs
    DB bench 5 sets x 12 x 11lbs

Roman chair situps 3 x 15

Took some new pics day 47 post-op 169lbs
    Since I started rowing, deads and bis/tris, I'm feeling tone and muscle size come back

Haven't got the external rotation in the Left shoulder so I can't square off my shoulders for this pic!

Been working on quads especially and have added some quad mass with the extra leg training
    Last edited by fittofattofit; 04-03-2010 at 07:47 PM.

Mark42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mark42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mark42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mark42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mark42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mark42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mark42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mark42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mark42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mark42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mark42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Strong work friend. You're pushing it as hard as ever for sure.

Great excuse to bust those wheels up & make some quality gains.

Good to see no probs with the shoulder.

Definately looking strong....legs are looking big too. Very impressive for only 1 & 1/2 month post-surgery....it's amazing how the body can heal iteself and become stronger than before.
    RDF

My Journey:

Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
    Strong work friend. You're pushing it as hard as ever for sure.

Great excuse to bust those wheels up & make some quality gains.

Good to see no probs with the shoulder.
    I'm really enjoying training now. Your lifts and volumes inspire me, altho' I doubt that I can ever achieve them. I really want to crank up the deads and squats now!

Definately looking strong....legs are looking big too. Very impressive for only 1 & 1/2 month post-surgery....it's amazing how the body can heal iteself and become stronger than before.
    Thanks. I'm convinced that being fit beforehand , and maintaining fitness makes recovery easier. I know I'm not a 20 year old athlete, but professional footballers return to full training in three months following a knee reconstruction, so, if the tissues are good and you follow a structured training programme, there is no reason to be wrapping yourself in cotton wool. The bony attachments should heal fully in about 6 weeks and the tendons should be fully strong in 3 months! I won't stress the operated tendons under load but that leaves lots that I can do

7 weeks post-op today. 5th April 2010

RPM/spin class

45 minutes - pushing hard
    + RC work on the theraband (and will repeat throughout the day)

chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    nice work fit, keep it up! I don't know what you looked like before, but with the pics you still look like any fit gym rat to me, with good shoulders to boot. So just keep being patient, and the whole experience will be a memory in no time.

Originally Posted by chickeneater View Post
    nice work fit, keep it up! I don't know what you looked like before, but with the pics you still look like any fit gym rat to me, with good shoulders to boot. So just keep being patient, and the whole experience will be a memory in no time.
    Thanks - my best before was my current avi with better upper chest development - my upper chest was wasting longest as I'd stopped all incline and most chest work for 8 weeks.
    I look forward to each day in the gym now and seeing what gains I can make. It's a bit like being a newbie again!

7 weeks and 1 day post op. 6th April.

Deads/ Back/ Chest

Deadlifts 10 x (80kg) 176lbs and 10, 10, 8, 8 x (90kg) 198lbs
    BOBB rows 5 sets of 12 x (40kg) 88lbs
    Angled Pushups from a bar in the squat rack 5 x 10

Really concentrated on bracing my chest in the benching position and pushing my body away from the bar - felt good and I aim to maintain this position when I get back to benching properly - I really have to get the form right if I'm to protect my shoulders

Roman chair situps 2 x 20

All up 50 minutes + RC with the theraband throughout the day

7th April

Personal training session

Squat and row with rope 3 sets x 12 x 140, 160, 160
    Lunge with DB bicep curl 3 sets x 12 x 22lb each arm
    Single leg leg press 3 sets x 12 x 200lbs each leg
    Single leg low squat 3 sets x 12 no weight
    Swiss ball crunch 25 cramped !!!!!
    Leg raises on a bench 3 sets x 12

30 mins. Quads were toasted

Theraband RC ext rotation exercises thoughout the day

7th April

Personal training session

Squat and row with rope 3 sets x 12 x 140, 160, 160
    Lunge with DB bicep curl 3 sets x 12 x 22lb each arm
    Single leg leg press 3 sets x 12 x 200lbs each leg
    Single leg low squat 3 sets x 12 no weight
    Swiss ball crunch 25 cramped !!!!!
    Leg raises on a bench 3 sets x 12

30 mins. Quads were toasted

Theraband RC ext rotation exercises thoughout the day
    How's the Theraband exercises going? I didn't find them too helpful with my AC joint inflamation but your injury is quite different.
    RDF

My Journey:

How's the Theraband exercises going? I didn't find them too helpful with my AC joint inflamation but your injury is quite different.
    The theraband exercises are a pain in the a.. cos they take so much time - I have to say I'm not good at doing them once I'm out of the gym as I never seem to have enough time during the rest of the day!
    While I don't have much ROM it's difficult to do external rotation without using your other arm for assistance - I did feel, however, as tho I'd worked the 'inside' of my shoulder after a set of theraband exercises!

7 weeks and 3 days post op. 8th March

Been batching with my kids for the last 3 weeks, but picked up my wife at the airport this morning (after training at the gym of course!!)

Deads/ Rows/ arms

Deadlifts 5 sets of 7 x 100kg (220lbs)
    Seated rows 5 sets of 10 x 40kg (88lbs)
    DB bench press 3 sets of 20 x 11lbs
    BB bench press 3 sets of 10 x bar (44lbs)
    EZ bar curl 5 sets of 8 x 30kg (66lbs)

50 mins

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I tore my supraspinatus completely off (July 2007)also and had it reattached. I recovered 100% and have a full ROM now. Good luck in your rehab

Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    I tore my supraspinatus completely off (July 2007)also and had it reattached. I recovered 100% and have a full ROM now. Good luck in your rehab
    That's good news for me - you're looking great in your avi, and pulling some monster weights!!
    How long did it take you to get back to full training?

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It was about 6 months before I was back 100%. Not strength wise 100% but abiltiy to put out 100% effort if that makes sense

It was about 6 months before I was back 100%. Not strength wise 100% but abiltiy to put out 100% effort if that makes sense
    I know what you mean! Six months to full effort is good news - just over 4 months to go for me.

9th April. Weight 169lbs.

Legs

BB squats 12 x 60kg(132lbs)
    10 x 80kg(176lbs)
    10, 8, 8 x 90kg(198lbs)

BB calf raises 5 sets of 20 x 90kg(198lbs)

Leg extensions 5 sets of 10 x 60kg(132lbs)

SLDL 5 sets x 10 x 60kg(132lbs)

55 minutes

It felt really good to squat again! I had to hold the bar very wide (full width of the squat rack) to get the bar on my shoulder. 90kg felt heavy on my shoulders , but no trouble squatting the weight with strict form. I'm hoping that squatting with the bar will help me improve my ROM in external rotation as well.

Tried SLDL for the hammies. 60kg felt very light and didn't get much stretch - might need to use a small platform if I can find one!

Legs are feeling nicely 'tired' after this one

11th April. 168lb

RPM / spin class

60 minutes of hard workout

Did some DB benching beforehand 2 sets 20, 12 x 22lb
    felt good - kept the chest and post chain tight

chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    fit,

don't listen to this guy, he only benches 567 pounds..............wait, wut? lol

Originally Posted by chickeneater View Post
    fit,

don't listen to this guy, he only benches 567 pounds..............wait, wut? lol
    Half that would be nice!

8 weeks post-op. 12th April 2010

Upper body

Deadlifts 1 set of 12 x 60kg (132lbs)
    1 set of 12 x 80kg (176lbs)
    1 set of 10 x 100kg (220lbs)
    5 sets of 5 x 120kg (164lbs)

BB bent over rows 5 sets of 8 x 60kg (132lbs)

DB bench press 5 sets of 10 x 27.5lbs

Swiss ball crunchies 2 x 20

Total 60 minutes

Deads felt easy - I was able to concentrate on form - I was better on the way down than on the way up - too much of a SLDL. I can feel it in my glutes and hammies though, so that's good. Next time I will try to keep the form while increasing the reps - my max pre-op was 170kg (375lbs), and I don't want to test that for a t least a few months

BB rows were easy, but I will concentrate on form next time and getting that 'lat squeeze"

Good workout overall and starting to feel strong again

8 weeks post-op. 12th April 2010

Upper body

Deadlifts 1 set of 12 x 60kg (132lbs)
    1 set of 12 x 80kg (176lbs)
    1 set of 10 x 100kg (220lbs)
    5 sets of 5 x 120kg (164lbs)

BB bent over rows 5 sets of 8 x 60kg (132lbs)

DB bench press 5 sets of 10 x 27.5lbs

Swiss ball crunchies 2 x 20

Total 60 minutes

Deads felt easy - I was able to concentrate on form - I was better on the way down than on the way up - too much of a SLDL. I can feel it in my glutes and hammies though, so that's good. Next time I will try to keep the form while increasing the reps - my max pre-op was 170kg (375lbs), and I don't want to test that for a t least a few months

BB rows were easy, but I will concentrate on form next time and getting that 'lat squeeze"

Good workout overall and starting to feel strong again
    Looks like you're getting back on the strength train again.....which is great news. One of my biggest issues with Deadlifts is trying to be sure I use correct form. On days that I don't, I sure feel it in my lower back the next couple of days!
    RDF

My Journey:

Looks like you're getting back on the strength train again.....which is great news. One of my biggest issues with Deadlifts is trying to be sure I use correct form. On days that I don't, I sure feel it in my lower back the next couple of days!
    I feel good this morning - no lower back problems - so my form wasn't too bad, but I have a tendency to lose concentration and not keep the core tight during the uplift. I'm the only person in my gym who deadlifts so there is no-one there to watch, but I've video-ed a couple of times and I've corrected a lot of mistakes. If I can keep good form as I increase the weights, I'm hoping to eventually lift in the 400s