Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
    Rugger w/ a throwing prob xxtwistedxx's Avatar
    xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    theres a big indoor meet in Buffalo Jan 21st anyone thinking of going? its a throws only fest. gotta say im looking forward to this one.
    ACE-PT, NSCA, USATF-1
    danprater.blogspot.com - blog for everything related to throws, rugby, training, etc. and stuff that isnt.

Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ubertoss2000

Throwers
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122693921

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just spent about 2.5 months in army basic training and didn't have the chance to practice my throws. In addition to that I lost quite a bit of strength as well as bodyweight but at least the strength seems to be coming back rather quickly.

Anyway, did some shot put throws (my experience is very limited, only spent about 2-3 months training it during the summer, never done it before) and my technique has certainly gotten rusty and I went from doing 11m with the 7.26kg shot to 10m with the 6kg one.
    Can anyone with similar experience tell me how quickly does shot put strength/technique come back once I restart regular training?
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well with that conversion you lost about 5' of distance which can be regained relatively quickly with regulaar throwing. Wouldnt worry too much on it.

After long breaks i notice similar drops in myself and my athletes and it usually comes back withing a few weeks depending on the drop.
    ACE-PT, NSCA, USATF-1
    danprater.blogspot.com - blog for everything related to throws, rugby, training, etc. and stuff that isnt.

Youtube

Throwers

bignebraska has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    good to see this thread, after reading through about half of it i am intrigued. Do you think added significant mass / lifting ability will help me?? I havene been lifting much throughout HS and i have senior season coming up and want to throw big, as of now my squat has gone from about 250 to 300, from not deadlifting to 330 (1 rep max), millitary pressing 90x5 to 115x4, clean from 115x5 to 155x5, progression on throws has been pretty good, started mid 60s-70s (disc) threw 110 in a meet last year and 120 in practice, started shotput at like 26-27 ft (didnt start until HS) and finished with 35-36 feet last year. Will increases in all of these lifts help a decent amount??

Chest-Rockwell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chest-Rockwell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chest-Rockwell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chest-Rockwell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chest-Rockwell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chest-Rockwell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chest-Rockwell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chest-Rockwell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chest-Rockwell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chest-Rockwell will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chest-Rockwell will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    time to revive this thread

i took some videos, just practicing on my own. The ones that hit the big pile were about 60'-61' i think. The first one is 57-58'. This is my second year throwing, and i really only just got spinning down.

Originally Posted by bignebraska View Post
    good to see this thread, after reading through about half of it i am intrigued. Do you think added significant mass / lifting ability will help me?? I havene been lifting much throughout HS and i have senior season coming up and want to throw big, as of now my squat has gone from about 250 to 300, from not deadlifting to 330 (1 rep max), millitary pressing 90x5 to 115x4, clean from 115x5 to 155x5, progression on throws has been pretty good, started mid 60s-70s (disc) threw 110 in a meet last year and 120 in practice, started shotput at like 26-27 ft (didnt start until HS) and finished with 35-36 feet last year. Will increases in all of these lifts help a decent amount??
    you need to throw more. get some good lifting in but the big ones are cleans, snatch, squat, bench, and rows.

wouldnt try to get much bigger especially at this point in the season you MIGHT be able to put on 5-10lbs of USEABLE mass. focus on speed and tech work. just get out and throw your ass off.
    ACE-PT, NSCA, USATF-1

Youtube

Throwers

Allenownz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Allenownz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Allenownz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Allenownz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Allenownz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Allenownz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Allenownz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Allenownz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Allenownz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Allenownz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Allenownz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I laugh when people say shout and disc dont matter my school wouldve won our first meet in 23 years if we had throwers it was embressing being captain walking over to the cages and say we withdraw every meet just to make it seem like we had people hurt not that was had no throwers haha u throwers mean alot

Originally Posted by Allenownz View Post
    I laugh when people say shout and disc dont matter my school wouldve won our first meet in 23 years if we had throwers it was embressing being captain walking over to the cages and say we withdraw every meet just to make it seem like we had people hurt not that was had no throwers haha u throwers mean alot
    true stuff. i think its the notion that because its 'only' 2 events (unless you're in a state with Javelin or hammer) yet its an oppurtunity to pull in some serious points against those teams that have that stance. my team has beaten some serious contenders on the track because they invested nothing in the field events especially the throws.
    ACE-PT, NSCA, USATF-1

Youtube

Throwers

chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckarock has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

start weight at around :50. shot is going ok, hoping to hit around 16.50 with the big ball this year. weight is my bag though
    35# weight - PR: 19.83.
    Shot Put - PR: 15.83m
    Hammer - PR: 56.23 - 2012 goal: 60m

Lifts
    Front squat (atg) - 405 (Jan '12)
    Bench - 3450 (Feb '12)
    Power Clean - 320 (Jan '12)
    40: 4.8 Standing Vert: 31" Standing Long Jump: 9'8" (dec '11)

TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Jud Logan is coming to my school in 30 minutes to teach us how to throw shot, disc and lift weights.

TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) TriicepsBrah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by xxtwistedxx View Post
    true stuff. i think its the notion that because its 'only' 2 events (unless you're in a state with Javelin or hammer) yet its an oppurtunity to pull in some serious points against those teams that have that stance. my team has beaten some serious contenders on the track because they invested nothing in the field events especially the throws.
    ya last year our "field" team won us every meat. 62ft shot putter 7'2" (3rd in the nation) high jumper, state pole vaulter, good discus thrower. We would have lost every meat if it was up to our runners.

Originally Posted by TriicepsBrah View Post
    ya last year our "field" team won us every meat. 62ft shot putter 7'2" (3rd in the nation) high jumper, state pole vaulter, good discus thrower. We would have lost every meat if it was up to our runners.
    if you're referring to who I think you are he has a best at a big meet throwing 54. still not bad but there wern't THAT many 62 footers last year. kinda jelly on the jud logan camp. I shoulda went had I not made plans already for today/tonight
    ACE-PT, NSCA, USATF-1

Youtube

Throwers

if you're referring to who I think you are he has a best at a big meet throwing 54. still not bad but there wern't THAT many 62 footers last year. kinda jelly on the jud logan camp. I shoulda went had I not made plans already for today/tonight
    ya your right i just double checked his scores online and his pr was a 54' something. I watched him throw ~60 in practice before and foul out 60+ in the regional meet

Originally Posted by TriicepsBrah View Post
    ya your right i just double checked his scores online and his pr was a 54' something. I watched him throw ~60 in practice before and foul out 60+ in the regional meet
    hate that. my guy did that PLENTY last year. in fact ....

went to nationals and he had several warmups in the 60 range yet never kept em in. really surprised he didnt get our record that year. eh well.
    ACE-PT, NSCA, USATF-1

Youtube

Throwers

MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    hate that. my guy did that PLENTY last year. in fact ....

went to nationals and he had several warmups in the 60 range yet never kept em in. really surprised he didnt get our record that year. eh well.
    Wow strong throws and i remember him from one of the district or regional meets when I was holding the tape for the reff... for 5 hours.....

Edit: oh im triicepsbrah btw i was banned a couple times this weekend
    Last edited by MyFirstAccount2; 02-26-2012 at 05:32 PM.

MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyFirstAccount2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Ill summarize Jud's lifting talk for u guys.

his top 4 lifts-
    1. glute ham raises (bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/glute-ham-raise)
    2. hang cleans, but he emphasised holding the bar at mid shin with your back holding an arch similar to the 3 point stance in football.
    3. squats, he liked the idea of occasionally making you squat down slow (anywhere from 4-8 seconds) on the way down
    4. front squats, he liked the idea of occasionally making you squat down slow (anywhere from 4-8 seconds) on the way down

Thinks bench is over rated. He stressed how the posterior chain is the most important thing for throwers. all squats should be at or slightly below parrelel. Stressed the huge difference between powerlifting and lifting for sports. When the meets are soon (im assuming about a month?) lifting become less abut form and weight and more about speed. ie. switching from hang cleans to hungarian cleans (youtube.com/watch?v=uMbw8BJUr3w)

Ill edit this if I remember something else.

Originally Posted by MyFirstAccount2 View Post
    Ill summarize Jud's lifting talk for u guys.

his top 4 lifts-
    1. glute ham raises (bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/glute-ham-raise)
    2. hang cleans, but he emphasised holding the bar at mid shin with your back holding an arch similar to the 3 point stance in football.
    3. squats, he liked the idea of occasionally making you squat down slow (anywhere from 4-8 seconds) on the way down
    4. front squats, he liked the idea of occasionally making you squat down slow (anywhere from 4-8 seconds) on the way down

Thinks bench is over rated. He stressed how the posterior chain is the most important thing for throwers. all squats should be at or slightly below parrelel. Stressed the huge difference between powerlifting and lifting for sports. When the meets are soon (im assuming about a month?) lifting become less abut form and weight and more about speed. ie. switching from hang cleans to hungarian cleans (youtube.com/watch?v=uMbw8BJUr3w)

Ill edit this if I remember something else.
    sounds about right from him. every one of his former athletes that coaches seems to preach a similar lifting protocol. ive always favored snatch over clean and never understood the PC > quads argument. they're both extremely important. I will say bench is overrated although still necessary. push press is more relevant tbh.
    ACE-PT, NSCA, USATF-1

Youtube

Throwers

wisseaphi13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    watch?v=jZsoyoQFF_c

VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need Help!

Hey guys, I need some help.
    I'm having major shot and disc problems. This summer, right after Ironwood Throwers camp, I was consistently throwing 52 in shot and around 140 in disc, But starting up this season I was throwing around 51 in shot and consistently 150 in disc. My coach said that I had great left leg in my throws, but then he started hounding me about my lack of hips in the throw. I fixed the hips, but my legs went to ****. Now I'm throwing around 49 in shot and 130 in disc. My last meet I threw 126' in disc and 48' 2" in shot. I really need some help! Some vids are posted on my youtube channel, i'll try and post them, but I am retarded when it comes to technology.
    Cant get them uploaded, man I suck. My channel name is sonicboomman
    Please give some tips, it would be greatly appreciated.

ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManniS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Really need help on spin, for some reason the ball just always wants to leave my hand to the right (right hand thrower) as I'm just starting the spin into the middle, and if I do complete a spin it'll be outside of the right foul lines. I usually do Shuffle because it goes farther than my glide, but I'm around the 35 range. I know that's not good but I think the primary reason is that I have a bone tumor in my throwing arm which bothers at times, I did get it taken out but it's much more fragile as the tumor was on the top of the humerus bone (up by shoulder).

irish_muscle77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) irish_muscle77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    vexed thrower the problem with your shot is your right leg when you glide you have to get it underneath your body… the way your throwing now your using a lot of upper body but you need to use your legs more since they are obviously stronger. a good drill is to start in the back of the circle push your left leg out so you are in an A position then pull you right leg underneath your body it should be in a position that if you dropped the shot from your neck it won't fall on your foot

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've been watching some videos on Vestein Hafsteinsson's site Globalthrowing.com (he is the coach for Gerd Kanter, Märt Israel and some other world class throwers) and it seems that one exercise his athletes seem to do quite a bit of are explosive quarter box squats like this:

I tried them out the other day and really found them enjoyable. I'm wondering whether this exercise is something that is worth doing regularly (to develop strength for shot put) or am I better off just sticking to normal squats+Olympic lifts?
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

ameis2504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ameis2504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ameis2504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ameis2504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Was pumped for this year, last year my pr was 95 in disc, but since then Ive actually started lifting, gained at least 25 lbs, and my strength shot through the roof. Was planning on pr'ing at least 135 this year. Alas the day before the first outdoor meet, I was finishing up drills, and right as I was finishing a power position my shoulder popped as soon as I released, since then I have been experiencing extreme pain, and will be out for the rest of the season. My life is awesome.

electricbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) electricbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) electricbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) electricbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) electricbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) electricbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) electricbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) electricbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) electricbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) electricbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) electricbrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    this is a video from my last meet. i broke my school discus record with a 165 in good wind. any critique on form would be nice. im a junior and right now my max power clean is about 200. my coach thinks that if i can clean 300 by track season next year i will be able to throw 180-200. what do you guys think?

Originally Posted by electricbrah View Post
    this is a video from my last meet. i broke my school discus record with a 165 in good wind. any critique on form would be nice. im a junior and right now my max power clean is about 200. my coach thinks that if i can clean 300 by track season next year i will be able to throw 180-200. what do you guys think?
    a big clean =/= big throws. dont get me wrong they can definitly help. oly lifts are a staple but if you are to focus on a certain lift for a bigger disc throw then look to snatching.

in fact no big lift in anything will equal big throws. big throws equal big throws. otherwise every 350lb power cleaner would be throwing 210+ which just isnt the case.

on that note to throw 200 takes a ridiculous amount of speed and POWER to throw that far. also A LOT of time in the ring. took me about 5000 throws to go from 120-175. how many more after that to a best of 185 with a 2k Id rather not think about.

anyways as for the video work on a more active right leg out of the back. try opening or turning the left foot even earlier from the windup and really sweeping wide and high with the right leg. when you push down through the middle it will have more momentum going and create some better torque through the finish.
    ACE-PT, NSCA, USATF-1

Youtube

Throwers

JoeeyJaws has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey, i'm from britain and my personal best is 45'11" with an 11lb shot (5kg)....I do the glide but disregarding the technique aspect, what are the best lifts to do? i have searched this forum and not seen any straight forward "do this lift" also what is the best set and rep range and how is the best way to lift? so do you lift slowly or quick reps? please reply as soon as possible as i'm competing in the olympic stadium in 9 days

Originally Posted by JoeeyJaws View Post
    Hey, i'm from britain and my personal best is 45'11" with an 11lb shot (5kg)....I do the glide but disregarding the technique aspect, what are the best lifts to do? i have searched this forum and not seen any straight forward "do this lift" also what is the best set and rep range and how is the best way to lift? so do you lift slowly or quick reps? please reply as soon as possible as i'm competing in the olympic stadium in 9 days
    in 9 days your only focus should be taporing down your throws volume so you can hit the 'big one' at comp day.

as far as lifting its primarily fast and explosive. jumps, olys, heavy squats, and sprint work plus special strength exercises like twists and weight throws to emphasize the movements. rep ranges are low and higher sets earlier in the year. higher reps for faster less intense movements like the twists and other special strength exercises. push presses and jerks are usually low reps as well. more common for shotputters to perform those.
    ACE-PT, NSCA, USATF-1

Youtube

Throwers

VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VexedThrower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks!

Hey thanks to everyone who posted comments on my videos and sent me tips, I just won state champion with 55' 7.5" I improved 8 ft in one year in shot, and got 6th with a throw of 151' 9" in the disc! Another year hopefully gonna break 60 and 170!

jo1054 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Any advice will be welcomed

Hey i just finished my track season as a sophomore with a 43 ft throw and it's the beginning of summer and now my pr is at 46 ft
    My bench is-175lbs
    Squat -360lbs
    Power clean -160lbs maybe less
    What do u think I lack lifting wise and are these good throws for my strength level ?

justi123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Good idea..haha youre lucky man