Page 140 of 309 FirstFirst ... 40 90 130 138 139 140 141 142 150 190 240 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,200 of 9252
    Bloody but unbowed fittofattofit's Avatar
    fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My deads day with the new trainer bumped:

27th September 2012 - round 2

172lbs

Deadlifts with the new PT

Rowing 300m on the ergo
    Warm up

OH squatting and box squatting
    BW reps for form

Deadlifts
    5 x 40kg (88lbs)
    5 x 60kg (132lbs)
    5 x 100kg (220lbs)
    3 x 140kg (308lbs)
    1 x 160kg (352lbs)
    1 x 170kg (374lbs)

...fail, fail x 175kg (385lbs)
    His comments below!

Inverted Row with rings - shoulders suspended just above the floor
    12, 12, 12
    Supersetted with
    Bulgarian split squats + 2 x 16kg Kettle bells

6, 6, 6 x each leg

Tyre flips Speed deads!
    12, 12, 12
    Supersetted with
    hanging leg raises

12, 12, 12

Cobras
    3 x 30seconds
    The plan is to get these up to 3 x 90-120 secs

T bar wood chops
    bar x 10 each side
    bar+20kg x 10 each side

Stretching

90 minutes

OK.......today was the day I met the new trainer

The Trainer
    If you want a trainer to help you with heavy lifting, you want him to look like he lifts!
    This guy is big, balanced and lean --- not a PL fatso --- he's athletic and got the type of physique I'd love to have, so that's a great start!
    He also spent 90 minutes with me today free to see how we got along!

The Garage
    He works out of his garage in a suburb that's about 20 minutes drive from where I live (and it's where I grew up)
    Yes....my bank manager referred me to this guy!
    The Garage is really well equipped:
    2 racks;
    3 oly bars;
    full set of oly plates;
    full set of DBs;
    full set of KBs;
    Straps and rings; truck tyres; ergo rower etc etc

The warm-up
    First thing he got me to do a cardio warm-up on the ergo --- 300 meters row building to max effort
    After that we talked about my usual training regime; what were my goals etc
    Next thing was getting me to squat with a pole to assess my movement. OH squats first - he was happy with the ROM of my hips/lower back position etc
    I did slow ATG first, then speed reps then moved to squatting on the 12" box. He was happy with these

The deadlifts
    I started off with just the bar and 10kg ps and then added weight until my form failed.
    The weights and his comments:

5 x 40kg/88lbs = very good
    5 x 60kg/132lbs = very good. Very happy with the line of the bar up the shins
    5 x 100kg/220lbs = scaps not tight/leant forward/lifted butt
    3 x 140kg/308lbs = better than the 100kg.
    Need to keep head up as I lockout. Push out with knees, hold bar with a closer grip
    1 x 160kg/352lbs = Good. Strong legs, strong lower back.
    strong speed off the ground. The problem is with the keeping the upper body tight and leaning forward
    1 x 170kg/374lbs = Lifted butt but 'rescued' the lift - wasn't too hard, maybe 8/10

175kg/386lbs = fail x 2. Didn't even get the bar off the ground

I had a total mental failure and couldn't even get the bar off the ground with just a 5kg bump

The Accessories
    The inverted rows were done with rings suspended from the rack - the starting point with shoulders about 6" off the ground made the row hard - speed concentric, retract the scaps, hold the squeeze at the top and then slow eccentric reps. My shoulders, arms and chest were bursting. That was supersetted with BSSs with a 16kg KB in each hand. I concentrated on keeping the head and chest up during the one-legged squat down and then 'exploding' back up

I had never done tyre flips before - the idea was to deadlift these from the ground quickly and to run to the other side to flip it back. 12 x for each set. These were basically speed deads and was a good way of forcing me to keep my back in a good position
    These were supersetted with hanging leg raises (I've never really done these before)

We did some 'cobras': prone, chest on a low pad, and raise shoulders and chest, and knees from the ground. This was for 30 seconds x 3 and is to help me wiyth my thoracic extension

The Lessons for me - the good

he says I've got very strong legs and the drive off the ground was fast (which I thought was a problem)
    Strong lower back (once again I thought it was a weak point because it would often ache after deadlifting - he says that the lower back is doing extra work because the thoracic spine isn't tight)
    I've got good core control and strong rhomboids
    Overall he said my deadlift form was very good

The Lessons for me - the bad
    My thoracic spine is not tight
    I's all or nothing - when I fail, it's like I fall off a cliff: my head is down, my Tx spine is open, I lean forward, the bar shifts away from my knee
    I spend too long on my set up when it gets heavy - I tire myself out before the lift

Overall
    This was a great session for me. I feel that he's identified where my weak point on deadlifting is --- my thoracic spins. I have to work to tighten up my Tx posture to keep the lift going form top to bottom. I was good up to 160kg, but fell off a cliff!
    I know that I need to do some speed work and he's got that in mind

I've got my next session at 2pm next Tuesday!

And sorry about the long-winded description guys!

Today bumped

28th September 2012 - wife's birthday!

172lbs

Shoulders

Wide-grip pull-ups Tempo 5:2:5
    6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
    All dead hang and chin over the bar
    Slow tempo - made the serratus and rhomboids work

UH lat pull-downs Tempo 5:2:5
    8 x 80kg (176lbs)
    8 x 90kg (198lbs)
    6, 6, 6, 5 x 100kg (220lbs)
    Serratus and biceps burning

Straight arm lat pulldowns
    15 x 60lbs
    15 x 100lbs
    8, 8, 8, 8 x 150lbs
    6, 7, 7 x 160lbs
    These felt much lighter than I expected
    Really tight form
    Great exercise - tris, lats and serratus

Wide grip lat pull-downs drop sets Tempo 5:2:5
    8 x 75kg/165lbs........8 x 55kg/121lbs.........15 x 35kg/77lbs
    6 x 75kg/165lbs........8 x 55kg/121lbs.........12 x 35kg/77lbs
    6 x 75kg/165lbs........9 x 55kg/121lbs.........11 x 35kg/77lbs
    6 x 75kg/165lbs........7 x 55kg/121lbs.........10 x 35kg/77lbs
    Shoulders pumped

50 minutes

Lots of WIN!

WIN #1. I woke up today with DOMS everywhere! Quads, abductors, adductors, hammies and glutes were all aching. My chest, shoulders and bis were also feeling it after those inverse rows with the rings (it looks like a great way for me to hit my chest)
    I was really impressed with yesterday's session!

WIN #2. Today is my wife's birthday. I got her some flowers last night and hid them in the garage! The look on her face this morning was priceless!
    And tonight we are going out to our fave chinese restaurant for dinner!

WIN #3. I almost never do a shoulder day, but because I'd done my legs and back to death this week I threw them in!
    Pull-ups were slow, dead hang, chin over the bar and hold and I did 6 x 6. My back felt so good after this!
    Next was the UH pulldowns - really focussed on the MMC and could feel my serratus working
    The straight armed lat pulldowns were suggested by Rally......these felt so easy that I bumped the weight much higher than I'd thought.
    When I first went heavy I realised that I had my head down, so when I concentrated on keeping my head up and deliberately locking the Tx spine it made it all feel a lot stronger. I can see that this is what I have to think about with all my lifting --- it's that Tx tightness that is the weak point in my squats and deads!
    I came out of that session with my lats and delts feeling swole!

Some pics: slowly cutting but still hovering around 172

And for my wife!

[/QUOTE]
    "Better to wear out than rust out!"

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fittofattofit has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by RyouBakua View Post
    classy looking flowers

looks like you got the deluxe bouquet

and looking tough in those pics

like a fricken wolverine

She deserves them for putting up with me!

And thanks Ryou that's very flattering
    Of course....Hugh Jackman is an Aussie as well...

Originally Posted by alex2363 View Post
    Seems like this trainer will be ideal for you, also he is from your old neck of your woods too. (I dont think your post are long winded)
    Thanks Alex --- this guy understood what I wanted to achieve and made me work hard yesterday while he checked me out and tested me. I'll be keen to get him to work on all of my lifts. When you train alone all the time it can get hard to push yourself. I get a lot of inspiration form the journals here but having someone pushing you while you're training just gets you to move up that extra gear
    Last edited by fittofattofit; 09-28-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Flowers look awesome.

Holy smoke what a session. Strong straight arm pull downs that some serious weight.
    My “training log”
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178659261

Here to stay motivated and to motivate others

Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by fittofattofit View Post

Thanks! In my experience it's hard to get a good trainer (particularly if you're an experienced lifter) but word of mouth is the way to go!
    So true.

Also - your quads and separation are coming in real well and arms look huge in your pics.
    Great job
    My log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147800823&p=941910683#post941910683

PSN ID: I_M-th3-b3ast

Playing Skyrim

CEO - Vandelay Industries viennafat's Avatar
    viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I cant believe you went back to the gym today. After yesterday's double I was thinking "I wonder if he will take a day off?"
    I should've known better.

Nice session! Lats and delts hit hard.
    Looking great in those pics. Looking pretty lean and swole.

Nice plan for the wife's bday. Doing it right.
    Architect, Marine Biologist, Importer-Exporter, Latex Manufacturing.

Originally Posted by Raigs View Post
    Flowers look awesome.

Holy smoke what a session. Strong straight arm pull downs that some serious weight.
    When I go to the florist I usually just buy the loudest bunch that I see!

The straight arm pull-downs felt really good --- I just locked my lower back and kept it very strict and I surprised myself with the weight. Lats and serratuis are still aching!

Originally Posted by Sinaku5 View Post
    So true.

Also - your quads and separation are coming in real well and arms look huge in your pics.
    Great job
    Thanks! I'm slow cutting at the moment. I'd like to really get the cuts in, but I don't want to lose any mass --- thats' how bodybuilding destroys your mind!

Originally Posted by viennafat View Post
    I cant believe you went back to the gym today. After yesterday's double I was thinking "I wonder if he will take a day off?"
    I should've known better.

Nice session! Lats and delts hit hard.
    Looking great in those pics. Looking pretty lean and swole.

Nice plan for the wife's bday. Doing it right.
    I even thought about missing the gym this morning, but then I thought: 'fukit, I don't usually do shoulders!'
    Everything's aching at the moment, but I did feel swole after this morning's session

And 'Happy Wife = Happy Life'

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    And Flowers = Blowjobs

^ No rhyme, just truth

nwskier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nwskier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nwskier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nwskier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nwskier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nwskier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nwskier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nwskier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nwskier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nwskier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nwskier has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Rows and pulldowns are paying off!

good work

Originally Posted by nwskier View Post
    Rows and pulldowns are paying off!

good work
    Thanks Tim......just following your example and upping the volume and variety to blow out my back

Originally Posted by rallyum View Post
    And Flowers = Blowjobs

^ No rhyme, just truth
    Rows and pulldowns may have paid off.................the flowers didn't

So much phukin LOL Ral!

And Go the Swans!
    Last edited by fittofattofit; 09-28-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Rows and pulldowns may have paid off.................the flowers didn't

So much phukin LOL Ral!
    Oh lawd!

My anniversaries in a few days...back day here i come
    My log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147800823&p=941910683#post941910683

Playing Skyrim

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My deads day with the new trainer bumped:

27th September 2012 - round 2

172lbs

Deadlifts with the new PT

Rowing 300m on the ergo
    Warm up

OH squatting and box squatting
    BW reps for form

Deadlifts
    5 x 40kg (88lbs)
    5 x 60kg (132lbs)
    5 x 100kg (220lbs)
    3 x 140kg (308lbs)
    1 x 160kg (352lbs)
    1 x 170kg (374lbs)

...fail, fail x 175kg (385lbs)
    His comments below!

Inverted Row with rings - shoulders suspended just above the floor
    12, 12, 12
    Supersetted with
    Bulgarian split squats + 2 x 16kg Kettle bells

6, 6, 6 x each leg

Tyre flips Speed deads!
    12, 12, 12
    Supersetted with
    hanging leg raises

12, 12, 12

Cobras
    3 x 30seconds
    The plan is to get these up to 3 x 90-120 secs

T bar wood chops
    bar x 10 each side
    bar+20kg x 10 each side

Stretching

90 minutes

OK.......today was the day I met the new trainer

The Trainer
    If you want a trainer to help you with heavy lifting, you want him to look like he lifts!
    This guy is big, balanced and lean --- not a PL fatso --- he's athletic and got the type of physique I'd love to have, so that's a great start!
    He also spent 90 minutes with me today free to see how we got along!

The Garage
    He works out of his garage in a suburb that's about 20 minutes drive from where I live (and it's where I grew up)
    Yes....my bank manager referred me to this guy!
    The Garage is really well equipped:
    2 racks;
    3 oly bars;
    full set of oly plates;
    full set of DBs;
    full set of KBs;
    Straps and rings; truck tyres; ergo rower etc etc

The warm-up
    First thing he got me to do a cardio warm-up on the ergo --- 300 meters row building to max effort
    After that we talked about my usual training regime; what were my goals etc
    Next thing was getting me to squat with a pole to assess my movement. OH squats first - he was happy with the ROM of my hips/lower back position etc
    I did slow ATG first, then speed reps then moved to squatting on the 12" box. He was happy with these

The deadlifts
    I started off with just the bar and 10kg ps and then added weight until my form failed.
    The weights and his comments:

5 x 40kg/88lbs = very good
    5 x 60kg/132lbs = very good. Very happy with the line of the bar up the shins
    5 x 100kg/220lbs = scaps not tight/leant forward/lifted butt
    3 x 140kg/308lbs = better than the 100kg.
    Need to keep head up as I lockout. Push out with knees, hold bar with a closer grip
    1 x 160kg/352lbs = Good. Strong legs, strong lower back.
    strong speed off the ground. The problem is with the keeping the upper body tight and leaning forward
    1 x 170kg/374lbs = Lifted butt but 'rescued' the lift - wasn't too hard, maybe 8/10

175kg/386lbs = fail x 2. Didn't even get the bar off the ground

I had a total mental failure and couldn't even get the bar off the ground with just a 5kg bump

The Accessories
    The inverted rows were done with rings suspended from the rack - the starting point with shoulders about 6" off the ground made the row hard - speed concentric, retract the scaps, hold the squeeze at the top and then slow eccentric reps. My shoulders, arms and chest were bursting. That was supersetted with BSSs with a 16kg KB in each hand. I concentrated on keeping the head and chest up during the one-legged squat down and then 'exploding' back up

I had never done tyre flips before - the idea was to deadlift these from the ground quickly and to run to the other side to flip it back. 12 x for each set. These were basically speed deads and was a good way of forcing me to keep my back in a good position
    These were supersetted with hanging leg raises (I've never really done these before)

We did some 'cobras': prone, chest on a low pad, and raise shoulders and chest, and knees from the ground. This was for 30 seconds x 3 and is to help me wiyth my thoracic extension

The Lessons for me - the good

he says I've got very strong legs and the drive off the ground was fast (which I thought was a problem)
    Strong lower back (once again I thought it was a weak point because it would often ache after deadlifting - he says that the lower back is doing extra work because the thoracic spine isn't tight)
    I've got good core control and strong rhomboids
    Overall he said my deadlift form was very good

The Lessons for me - the bad
    My thoracic spine is not tight
    I's all or nothing - when I fail, it's like I fall off a cliff: my head is down, my Tx spine is open, I lean forward, the bar shifts away from my knee
    I spend too long on my set up when it gets heavy - I tire myself out before the lift

Overall
    This was a great session for me. I feel that he's identified where my weak point on deadlifting is --- my thoracic spins. I have to work to tighten up my Tx posture to keep the lift going form top to bottom. I was good up to 160kg, but fell off a cliff!
    I know that I need to do some speed work and he's got that in mind

I've got my next session at 2pm next Tuesday!

And sorry about the long-winded description guys!

Today bumped

28th September 2012 - wife's birthday!

172lbs

Shoulders

Wide-grip pull-ups Tempo 5:2:5
    6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
    All dead hang and chin over the bar
    Slow tempo - made the serratus and rhomboids work

UH lat pull-downs Tempo 5:2:5
    8 x 80kg (176lbs)
    8 x 90kg (198lbs)
    6, 6, 6, 5 x 100kg (220lbs)
    Serratus and biceps burning

Straight arm lat pulldowns
    15 x 60lbs
    15 x 100lbs
    8, 8, 8, 8 x 150lbs
    6, 7, 7 x 160lbs
    These felt much lighter than I expected
    Really tight form
    Great exercise - tris, lats and serratus

Wide grip lat pull-downs drop sets Tempo 5:2:5
    8 x 75kg/165lbs........8 x 55kg/121lbs.........15 x 35kg/77lbs
    6 x 75kg/165lbs........8 x 55kg/121lbs.........12 x 35kg/77lbs
    6 x 75kg/165lbs........9 x 55kg/121lbs.........11 x 35kg/77lbs
    6 x 75kg/165lbs........7 x 55kg/121lbs.........10 x 35kg/77lbs
    Shoulders pumped

50 minutes

Lots of WIN!

WIN #1. I woke up today with DOMS everywhere! Quads, abductors, adductors, hammies and glutes were all aching. My chest, shoulders and bis were also feeling it after those inverse rows with the rings (it looks like a great way for me to hit my chest)
    I was really impressed with yesterday's session!

WIN #2. Today is my wife's birthday. I got her some flowers last night and hid them in the garage! The look on her face this morning was priceless!
    And tonight we are going out to our fave chinese restaurant for dinner!

WIN #3. I almost never do a shoulder day, but because I'd done my legs and back to death this week I threw them in!
    Pull-ups were slow, dead hang, chin over the bar and hold and I did 6 x 6. My back felt so good after this!
    Next was the UH pulldowns - really focussed on the MMC and could feel my serratus working
    The straight armed lat pulldowns were suggested by Rally......these felt so easy that I bumped the weight much higher than I'd thought.
    When I first went heavy I realised that I had my head down, so when I concentrated on keeping my head up and deliberately locking the Tx spine it made it all feel a lot stronger. I can see that this is what I have to think about with all my lifting --- it's that Tx tightness that is the weak point in my squats and deads!
    I came out of that session with my lats and delts feeling swole!

Some pics: slowly cutting but still hovering around 172

And for my wife!

[/QUOTE]Your shoulder and upper leg looks massed out, say happy b-day to your wife, she is one lucky woman to have you.
    IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.

Oh lawd!

My anniversaries in a few days...back day here i come
    We've both forgotten our wedding anniversaries in the past --- this year I remembered and she forgot
    Never forget a birthday though . I've never forgotten hers but she's forgotten mine 3 times --- it was worth it though: you've got to have those occasions in the bank for when you really do something bad!

29th September 2012

174lbs !

Rows

Tennis ball rolling and stretching - Pyriformis and glutes
    Thoracic extension work

Reverse pec-deck Rear delt flyes Tempo 5:2:5
    6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6 x 66kg (145lbs)
    The rack was free but there was no oly bar available!
    Really squeezed the rear delts and rhomboids
    Shoulders felt fuarcking great!

Got into the rack
    Yates Rows
    12 x 60kg (132lbs)
    12 x 80kg (176lbs)
    10 x 100kg (220lbs)
    10 x 110kg (242lbs)
    8 x 120kg (264lbs)
    6, 6, 6, 8, 8 x 130kg (286lbs)
    14 x 100kg (220lbs)
    130kg is starting to feel a bit easy!

Pendlay Rows
    10 x 60kg (132lbs)
    6, 6, 6, 6, 6 x 90kg (198lbs)
    Really kept the head up and worked on exploding the bar from the ground
    Lats and midback on fire!

60 minutes

I've done a lot of heavy work over the last few days and it feels great --- my chest, glutes and upper hammies still feel sore from Thursday's session and my lats and my serratus, bis and tris are still hit from yesterday's pull-down/shoulder session.
    I had a good 9 hours sleep so I didn't want to waste the opportunity to lift so I still did the rows and took the opportunity to think about my head positioning.

I have my regular PT to thank for that: he teaches Jiu Jitsu and says that if you pin the head down you immobilise a lot of the power (or something like that...)
    This has been a problem for me in lifting...... I tend to keep my head and chin down (years of cycling) , and this makes me curve my Tx spine and reduces my upper body stability and power. I can see it with my deads and squats and I can see it on the rows.
    Yesterday with the SA lat pulldowns, when I kept my head up and chest out, the lift became easy and form was strict ---- let my head drop and I started with the body english
    Today with the rows I concentrated on keeping my head up --- it made the Pendlays and Yates feel so good!
    The new PT thinks that my head and chest position are the main problem I have with my deadlifting!

I really enjoyed today at the gym. I let the T bars out as a concession to rest my lower back a little and save something for Tuesday's session with the trainer!

The AFL Grand final starts in an hour

Carn the Swannies!

ABV = Anyone but a Vic!

Last edited by fittofattofit; 09-29-2012 at 06:55 AM.

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

And Sydney won!

The Swans AFL Premiers 2012

Fuarking awesome game!

Last edited by fittofattofit; 09-29-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rallyum has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO!!!!!!

Gonna be a messy night tonight!

Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Raigs has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Really strong rows. Time to add more weight.

How is a rack available but no bar? Lol
    My “training log”

Originally Posted by rallyum View Post
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO!!!!!!

Gonna be a messy night tonight!
    FTW! Anyone but a Vic !
    I'm on call now, so you'll have to have a few beers for me!

Originally Posted by Raigs View Post
    Really strong rows. Time to add more weight.

How is a rack available but no bar? Lol
    Thanks Raigs!
    Because this hot chick was doing snatches with the unloaded bar and her boyfriend was using the other bar on the bench. There are a whole lot or preloaded bars she could have used. I put my gear next to the rack waiting for one of the bars to become available and then the bf finishes his benching and carries his bar over to the rack and sets up for squats
    I had the sh!ts because the rack was free but there was no bar! Howdafuk does that happen in a gym?
    Last edited by fittofattofit; 09-29-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) viennafat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Solution: Andrew brings his own oly bar to the gym.
    I would love to be there and witness something like that.

I'm hearing more and more reasons for a home gym.

Great back session! Strong reverse flyes and rows! Solid volume.
    That's a great point about keeping the head up. I've been a lot more aware of this the last little while as well. I always have this in mind especially with deadlifts.

I can't remember the specifics now, but another thing I had read is that by positioning your head towards the direction you are trying to lift the weight (approximately) you can actually generate more power. So if you're deadlifting/squatting while looking at the ground or benching while looking at your feet, you're limiting your power output. It had to do with bio-mechanics as well as the brain something or other.

Thanks Raigs!
    Because this hot chick was doing snatches with the unloaded bar and her boyfriend was using the other bar on the bench. There are a whole lot or preloaded bars she could have used. I put my gear next to the rack waiting for one of the bars to become available and then the bf finishes his benching and carries his bar over to the rack and sets up for squats
    I had the sh!ts because the rack was free but there was no bar! Howdafuk does that happen in a gym?
    Lol trays crazy.

You need a new gym bro.
    My log

Playing Skyrim

That's a great point about keeping the head up. I've been a lot more aware of this the last little while as well. I always have this in mind especially with deadlifts.

I can't remember the specifics now, but another thing I had read is that by positioning your head towards the direction you are trying to lift the weight (approximately) you can actually generate more power. So if you're deadlifting/squatting while looking at the ground or benching while looking at your feet, you're limiting your power output. It had to do with bio-mechanics as well as the brain something or other.
    Interesting.

All credible people that I've read from such as rippetoe and wendler for example state that one should look down or straight ahead while squatting or deadlifting as up kills hip drive (i think i also heard something bout it putting ur spine in an unnatural way).

Let us know if u find out anything more about this
    My log

Playing Skyrim

Well......I did buy the squat safety bar and leave it in the gym!
    I draw the line at buying an oly bar though --- you'd think a third one wouldn't break the bank

This is the garage set up where I worked with the new PT (that's not me btw.......or him )

He's got more oly bars in there than my gym has

Thanks Tom! Starting with the reverse flyes wasn't a bad move in the end --- it got me warmed up and the Yates rows and Pendlays felt really good when I got to them

I've only just started to realise how much my head position determines how tightly I can lock my thoracic spine. It makes sense that youneed to lock the arch in your lower back for stability, and equally you have to do the same for your thoracic and cervical spine. It was quite a good exercise for me to try to do the straight armed lat PDs with my chin tucked in, and then do it with my head up and chest out. The same applied for the Pendlays and Yates. Even though my thoracic extension is a little limited, I should still be able to keep the head up more

Lol trays crazy.

You need a new gym bro.
    There are a lot of good gyms nearby, but this one is the closest --- it's a 5 minute walk
    I'd be happy if they got an extra rack, two extra oly bars, some kettle bells and a seated calf raise

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

^ Wow his setup is even better than I pictured.

Yup, focusing on head positioning makes sense to me.

Interesting.

All credible people that I've read from such as rippetoe and wendler for example state that one should look down or straight ahead while squatting or deadlifting as up kills hip drive (i think i also heard something bout it putting ur spine in an unnatural way).

Let us know if u find out anything more about this
    I'll see if I can find that again. It was an article on optimizing performance/powerlifting.

From personal experience, I can say that looking down is not the best method.
    In the past, I would always look down when deadlifting and then I had a severe back injury.
    Looking straight ahead or a little upwards makes a big difference in stabilizing and locking things in place for me.

^ Wow his setup is even better than I pictured.

Yup, focusing on head positioning makes sense to me.

I'll see if I can find that again. It was an article on optimizing performance/powerlifting.

From personal experience, I can say that looking down is not the best method.
    In the past, I would always look down when deadlifting and then I had a severe back injury.
    Looking straight ahead or a little upwards makes a big difference in stabilizing and locking things in place for me.
    ik Jim and and mark both recommend looking down or straight ahead during squat for safety and hip drive efficiency. Dl is a little different.

After skimming starting strength mark recommends looking a spot 12-15 feet in front of you for dl.

Id be interested in any new reads tho.

How's ur back doing now btw
    My log

Playing Skyrim

Well......I did buy the squat safety bar and leave it in the gym!
    I draw the line at buying an oly bar though --- you'd think a third one wouldn't break the bank

This is the garage set up where I worked with the new PT (that's not me btw.......or him )

Sick set up! man id love to have a home gym like that one day
    My log

Playing Skyrim

ik Jim and and mark both recommend looking down or straight ahead during squat for safety and hip drive efficiency. Dl is a little different.
    After skimming starting strength mark recommends looking a spot 12-15 feet in front of you for dl.

Id be interested in any new reads tho.

How's ur back doing now btw
    I think looking straight should still work well.

My back is pretty good now. I've noticed a big difference when deadlifting between looking down and up. Looking up (not to the ceiling but still upwards) feels more "secure" to me.
    It may also be a little different from person to person due to different mechanics and specific weaknesses/strengths.

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thanks Tom! Starting with the reverse flyes wasn't a bad move in the end --- it got me warmed up and the Yates rows and Pendlays felt really good when I got to them

I've only just started to realise how much my head position determines how tightly I can lock my thoracic spine. It makes sense that youneed to lock the arch in your lower back for stability, and equally you have to do the same for your thoracic and cervical spine. It was quite a good exercise for me to try to do the straight armed lat PDs with my chin tucked in, and then do it with my head up and chest out. The same applied for the Pendlays and Yates. Even though my thoracic extension is a little limited, I should still be able to keep the head up more

There are a lot of good gyms nearby, but this one is the closest --- it's a 5 minute walk
    I'd be happy if they got an extra rack, two extra oly bars, some kettle bells and a seated calf raise
    Andrew, im glad thats not you, that guy is extremely out of shape.
    IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.

Sick set up! man id love to have a home gym like that one day
    It's an impressive gym and I like the fact that he's got a full set of kettle bells there as well as all the free weights and straps/rings

I think looking straight should still work well.

My back is pretty good now. I've noticed a big difference when deadlifting between looking down and up. Looking up (not to the ceiling but still upwards) feels more "secure" to me.
    It may also be a little different from person to person due to different mechanics and specific weaknesses/strengths.
    I've been told to look at a point on a wall 1 to 2' above my eyes. Mirror's can be a curse in the gym as they encourage you to look forward at yourself as you are doing lifts like deads and squats. Unfortunately the rack in my gym has a mirror in front and it does distract me.
    You're right of course about different people will find different positions suit, but the key is that once you start the lift, your head and neck position shouldn't shift under the weight
    I tried lifting my head and pushing my chest out on WG pull-ups today and it made me feel stronger on those swell

Originally Posted by alex2363 View Post
    Andrew, im glad thats not you, that guy is extremely out of shape.
    Ha Alex.......I think that's a lady........or at least a guy with bad gyno.....
    I will get a few pics of me in action in there at some --- hopefully deadlifting 405

30th September 2012

171.5lbs

RPM/HIIT cycle class

50 minutes

pull-ups/core work

Standing cable rotations
    10, 10, 10 each side x 70lbs
    Really solid core work

Wide grip pull-ups Tempo 5:2:5 dead hang
    6, 6, 7, 7, 7, 7
    Stuck my head up and pushed chest out
    Felt really strong on these

Thoracic extension work

30 minutes

I hate going into the cycle workout (because I basically don't like cardio) but I love the feel at the end........I crank up the resistance, so that as I walk out of that room I'm always drenched in sweat, my heart is racing and my quads are toast! HITT type workouts really do make me feel that I'm burning off the fat!

Otherwise I was doing some core work and pull-ups and trying to improve my thoracic extension.
    Doing the pull-ups I concentrated on keeping my head up and pushing my chest out and keeping that position tight, and that made a difference to my strength --- I felt really good!
    I did think about doing some speed deads going light or some RDLs, but I figured I may as well save myself for Tuesday's training session

Tomorrow is a public holiday here, so I've got a three day weekend, Tuesday is a rostered afternoon off, so I've only got a 3 and a half day working week! WOOT!

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Nice session, Andrew.
    Gotta love that HIIT stuff.
    You're right, that feeling afterwards is awesome.
    I dont get to experience that too often myself, as much like you I'm not a fan of cardio.

I've been told to look at a point on a wall 1 to 2' above my eyes. Mirror's can be a curse in the gym as they encourage you to look forward at yourself as you are doing lifts like deads and squats. Unfortunately the rack in my gym has a mirror in front and it does distract me.
    You're right of course about different people will find different positions suit, but the key is that once you start the lift, your head and neck position shouldn't shift under the weight
    I tried lifting my head and pushing my chest out on WG pull-ups today and it made me feel stronger on those swell
    Exactly. Holding that position once you initiate the lift is the hardest and most important point.
    Will try that out next time I do pull ups.

Nice session, Andrew.
    Gotta love that HIIT stuff.
    You're right, that feeling afterwards is awesome.
    I dont get to experience that too often myself, as much like you I'm not a fan of cardio.
    Thanks Tom! I have friends who run half marathons and all I can say is: 'Why?' (I really say 'WTF?'.... )
    At least HIIT feels like your muscles are getting worked as well as your heart and lungs.

Exactly. Holding that position once you initiate the lift is the hardest and most important point.
    Will try that out next time I do pull ups.
    I'll be thinking about holding that head position with all of my lifts from now on so that hopefully it will become ingrained into my lifting......like keeping the arch in the lower back locked and keeping the abs tight!

Squat 165kg/363lbs
    Deadlift 190kg/418lbs

Damn 50 minutes on the cycle sweat city here we come
    My “training log”

Thanks Tom! I have friends who run half marathons and all I can say is: 'Why?' (I really say 'WTF?'.... )
    At least HIIT feels like your muscles are getting worked as well as your heart and lungs
    If you have an area with sand near you and you really want an intense hiit session try this;

Sprint 200 yards then jog 200 yards. Rest for about 10 seconds then repeat for a few sessions.

Me and some friends did that in the summer and its a phenomenal workout. Let me know what h think of it if u try it.
    My log

Playing Skyrim

Page 140 of 309 FirstFirst ... 40 90 130 138 139 140 141 142 150 190 240 ... LastLast