orbita has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Body Pump + Spinning

Hey ladies!

I just restarted gym this week. Again. Again means i've been in and out of it for shorter and longer periods. And the same with my weight and shape- in and out. But i have to be a believer and think that this time is forever, hahah. I have to lose about 10kg and get back in shape. I love Body Pump classes since my first one few years ago and i just re- tried spinning. And i've got few questions regarding combining those two.

1. How much classes of Body Pump i can do per week to let my muscles rest? I know they say you can't get nice muscles if you don't let them rest and you shouldn't do more than one big group of them more than once a week. Well- BP excersise all groups.

2. Will i lose weight by doing BP, let's say- 3-4 times a week and spinning 5-6 times a week. Or it just make my training neutral: BP ''+'' muscles, Spinning/Cardio ''-'' fat. (My main goal now is lose kgs and body fat and secondary build muscles, and i know it's almost impossible to do both at the same time)

3. Is it ok to do them both in one day- Spinning after BP?

p.s. any advises will do!

Thanks!

new heights of badassity summertown74's Avatar
    summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hey there!

Bodypump won't make your muscles bigger. It's endurance work. Sure, you'll get sore and get a pump right afterwards, but to get hypertrophy (muscle growth), it's generally supported to stay in the 6-10 rep range with heavy enough weights that you can't do another rep with good form.

You should rest a muscle group about 48 hours between workouts (at least), if you're doing heavy work. I've done bodypump before and was ready to do it again the next day (after I was conditioned for it). But starting out I wouldn't do it more than twice a week, actually.

And spinning--that's endurance work too. Maybe you could alternate, spinning three days a week, bodypump twice.

May I make a suggestion? Just do spinning or bodypump once in a while for fun. If you use all that endurance work as the base of your program, your body won't change all that much. You'll lose weight (if you're in a calorie deficit), but you won't get tighter. JMHO

Does that help?
    wabi sabi...the art of finding beauty in the imperfections of life.

egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000) egoatdoor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There are MANY people, men and women, who take the morning Body Pump class at my gym, and NONE of them have any muscle. It is AT BEST a maintenance for what you already have, which is fine if that is what you are satisfied with.
    "People listen to rich folks. People they pray for poor folks"- John Thompson, long time head basketball coach at Georgetown University.

Passion doesn't pay the bills. G4P does.

orbita has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you for advises! well then i will start to figure out how to sneak in the weights area to workout. Anyway, i have to do something to lose weight howewer i don't want to be skinny fat person, ok, ok, i will never be skinny, haha, but you know what i mean.

52andfit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by orbita View Post
    Thank you for advises! well then i will start to figure out how to sneak in the weights area to workout. Anyway, i have to do something to lose weight howewer i don't want to be skinny fat person, ok, ok, i will never be skinny, haha, but you know what i mean.
    BodyPump is muscle endurance not for building but it will help you with your form as long as your instructor is good. Clean up your diet and go "play with the boys" on the free weight floor. I guarantee you'll see changes if you stick with it. By the way, it's pretty tough to lose fat AND gain muscle at the same time.
    What you are is what you bring ... train like an athlete.

Without discipline there is no glory

tropipalms has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What do you mean you won't get tighter from body pump and spin? How do you get tighter? If you use all that endurance work as the base of your program, your body won't change all that much. You'll lose weight (if you're in a calorie deficit), but you won't get tighter.

Bodypump won't make your muscles bigger. It's endurance work. Sure, you'll get sore and get a pump right afterwards, but to get hypertrophy (muscle growth), it's generally supported to stay in the 6-10 rep range with heavy enough weights that you can't do another rep with good form.

You should rest a muscle group about 48 hours between workouts (at least), if you're doing heavy work. I've done bodypump before and was ready to do it again the next day (after I was conditioned for it). But starting out I wouldn't do it more than twice a week, actually.

And spinning--that's endurance work too. Maybe you could alternate, spinning three days a week, bodypump twice.

May I make a suggestion? Just do spinning or bodypump once in a while for fun. If you use all that endurance work as the base of your program, your body won't change all that much. You'll lose weight (if you're in a calorie deficit), but you won't get tighter. JMHO

Does that help?[/QUOTE]

Faster than Yesterday SprinterChick's Avatar
    SprinterChick is just really nice. (+1000) SprinterChick is just really nice. (+1000) SprinterChick is just really nice. (+1000) SprinterChick is just really nice. (+1000) SprinterChick is just really nice. (+1000) SprinterChick is just really nice. (+1000) SprinterChick is just really nice. (+1000) SprinterChick is just really nice. (+1000) SprinterChick is just really nice. (+1000) SprinterChick is just really nice. (+1000) SprinterChick is just really nice. (+1000)
    Body pump and spinning was my bread and butter as far as gym time went in college, and I was in a caloric deficit. And yeah, while I loved spinning and it was fun... the combo didn't tighten me up much.

Gotta say that it brought nowhere near the physique changes that heavy lifting (squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc) and sprinting on the track did. Basically my body as a 27 year old working out 5x a week and eating at maintenance is MUCH better than it was at age 19 working out 5x a week and eating in a deficit.

If you really enjoy body pump and spinning, still do it, but don't make it your main thing. Do each one like 1x a week and then do HIIT and play with the big boys in the weight room the other days. Good luck!