tonebody73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post workout recovery

Can someone please suggest some ways to speed up post workout recovery ?

Of late, I have been working out 5-6 days/wk and noticing that it is only slowing me down as I am having a tough time recovering from my workouts.

I am 5'8", 37 yrs old and weigh 152 lbs. I maintain a pretty balanced diet. As per my friend's suggestion, I have started drinking GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Whey Protein after my workouts.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks
    Sri

dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    protein shake & some simple carbs. i'm sure others will chime in.

*STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    IMO gnc protein = crap

Im a fan of waximaize for a post workout carb and 15- 20 minutes after that I drink a protein isolate shake.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ids/wax.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/dym/iso90.html

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Diet details? You getting enough sleep? Stress at work or home? What does your training look like? Diet, sleep, stress and over training can all affect recovery. We need more detail than "a pretty balanced diet."
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    Diet details? You getting enough sleep? Stress at work or home? What does your training look like? Diet, sleep, stress and over training can all affect recovery. We need more detail than "a pretty balanced diet."
    This.

And does training 5-6 days a week mean lifting 5-6 days a week? lifting 3 days and 2-3 cardio? How long have you been doing your current schedule? When was your last week out of the gym?
    -

Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    I agree with bama; more details please.
    Genshai

bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I will fourth the cal for more info.

And I will concur GNC=crap, my personal preference is a blend type protein but Whey works well post workout as well. Gaspari, ON both good brands I have used and would recommend.
    Excuses are like A-holes everyone's got 1...............

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tonebody73 View Post

Of late, I have been working out 5-6 days/wk and noticing that it is only slowing me down as I am having a tough time recovering from my workouts.

I am 5'8", 37 yrs old and weigh 152 lbs. I maintain a pretty balanced diet. As per my friend's suggestion, I have started drinking GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Whey Protein after my workouts.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks
    Sri
    What do you mean by "recovery"? Are you still experiencing DOMS when you're ready to lift on your next cycle day for the same muscle group? If so, lifting won't hurt your progress, and the DOMS will go away depending on your personal biology during that session or in the next one for that muscle group. Sometimes it's just adaptation that's lagging and not necessarily recovery.

If on the other hand, you're talking about feeling exhausted for "too long" after, then the solution is what dutter said. You might also need to take a multivitamin or a B complex or extra antioxidants.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Workout schedule:
    Day 1: 1hr cardio followed by Biceps and Triceps
    Day 2: 1 hr cardio followed by Chest & Back
    Day 3: 1 hr cardio followed by Shoulders and legs

Cardio: I shuffle between elliptical, stepper, treadmill and rowing

Weights - I lift light weights. Depending on the routines, I usually alternate every 2-3 weeks between machines and free weights

Diet -
    Breakfast: bowl of oatmeal + 2 egg whites
    Lunch - Subway tuna or grilled chicken, 1/2 tropical chicken salad with grilled chicken
    Snack - baby carrots, apple, pear, low fat yogurt
    dinner - low fat cherry pecan chicken salad or tuna salad
    workout after dinner
    drink protein shake - GNC Amp Whey protein + all berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, banana, honey)

*STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) *STEVE* is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Workout schedule:

Weights - I lift light weights. Depending on the routines, I usually alternate every 2-3 weeks between machines and free weights

Diet -
    Lunch - Subway tuna or grilled chicken, 1/2 tropical chicken salad with grilled chicken
    workout after dinner
    drink protein shake - GNC Amp Whey protein + all berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, banana, honey)

I can find all the answer to all your problems in this ^ post.

No offense but IMO not only are you doing it wrong , your doing it ALL wrong.

triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by *STEVE* View Post
    I can find all the answer to all your problems in this ^ post.

No offense but IMO not only are you doing it wrong , your doing it ALL wrong.

You are killing youself.

1.) Cardio and weight traing in the same day
    2.) Not eating enough cals, not enough protien
    3.) Not enough rest between sets

Try this for basics Get Marc riptoes book Starting strength
    In summary workout
    Mon, Wed, Fri do your cardio on off days

Eat 15 - 20 times your body weight in calories getting in at least 1.5 grams of protien. Try a Protien 40% Carbs 40% and Fat 20% Diet

Log all your food intake on Fitday.com or Dailyburn.com or other free sites

Training for success is 40% food 40% rest and 20% training
    "all good things come to those who wait"

Originally Posted by triggerfinger View Post
    You are killing youself.

1.) Cardio and weight traing in the same day
    2.) Not eating enough cals, not enough protien
    3.) Not enough rest between sets

Try this for basics Get Marc riptoes book Starting strength
    In summary workout
    Mon, Wed, Fri do your cardio on off days

Eat 15 - 20 times your body weight in calories getting in at least 1.5 grams of protien. Try a Protien 40% Carbs 40% and Fat 20% Diet

Log all your food intake on Fitday.com or Dailyburn.com or other free sites

Training for success is 40% food 40% rest and 20% training
    Why did you quote me ? Are you agreeing with me ????????????

I so confusd ...

Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Workout schedule:

Diet -
    workout after dinner
    You're not recovering because your diet is terrible. Spend some time in the nutrition forum and create a better diet.
    Genshai

theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    And if you still insist on doing cardio and weights on the same day, cut back the cardio to 20 to 30 minutes and do it AFTER you've lifted weights.

triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) triggerfinger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by *STEVE* View Post
    Why did you quote me ? Are you agreeing with me ????????????

I so confusd ...

Sorry man. I agree with you

peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No Raw egg!!! Thats your problem. Eat 5-10 raw egg a day and you will recover like rocky recovered after he lost to Mr.T

I kid you not the answer is inside the shell.

Originally Posted by triggerfinger View Post
    Sorry man. I agree with you

Ah good deal , didnt see a "this ^" so wasnt sure !!!

folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) folkprophet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No offense meant...but your diet and exercise reminds me of a naive girls - the ones that spend too much time on the cardio machines, lift the pink dumbells and then eat nothing but fruit and ricecakes.

Why are you doing 1 hr. cardio a day when you only weigh 152?
    Why are you only lifting light weights?
    Why are you eating a bunch of fruity girly food?

Man up!

Cut the cardio WAY back.
    Lift heavy
    EAT!

More does not equal better. Better equals better.
    Last edited by folkprophet; 02-26-2010 at 11:08 AM.
    "I only eat food in bar form. When you concentrate food, you unleash its awesome power, I'm told. That's why I'm compressing 5 pounds of spaghetti into one handy mouth-sized bar." - Homer Simpson

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Diet -
    workout after dinner
    No **** .. with that diet you wonder why you are tired?

and never mind the useless hours of cardio...
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) devildog_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks
    Sri
    my first thought was..Rest- How much time do you take off? give your muscles a few days rest even a week if you are going that hard at it.

edit: also your diet is a "cutting" diet not a weight gaining, muscle pumping, fast recovery diet.
    "An army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of bull$hi?." - General George Patton Jr
    -------------------------------
    rep and you shall receive.

Originally Posted by devildog_99 View Post
    my first thought was..Rest- How much time do you take off? give your muscles a few days rest even a week if you are going that hard at it.

edit: also your diet is a "cutting" diet not a weight gaining, muscle pumping, fast recovery diet.
    As per the advice, I am willing to switch between cardio and weights. How much of cardio is advised ? Would 1 hr of cardio on the off days suffice ?

I did weights yest .. did 10 mins of cardio prior and after my weights. Is that a good ratio ?

Please advice.

Thanks
    Sri

As per the advice, I am willing to switch between cardio and weights. How much of cardio is advised ? Would 1 hr of cardio on the off days suffice ?

I did weights yest .. did 10 mins of cardio prior and after my weights. Is that a good ratio ?

Please advice.

Thanks
    Sri

If you don't eat and get your diet in check I belive you will still be burnt out.

Do it your way and let us know how it worked out for you

What are your fitness goals?

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Please advice.

Thanks
    Sri
    What exactly is your goal? I wouldn't even call your diet a cutting diet, it is a frufru diet. Walk into any Panera Bread and you will see this stuff all over the menu. Your recovery is hampered by your over training and horrible diet. Take Tiff's advise, read up on nutrition, then take Trigger's advise and read up then employ Starting Strength. Learn your basic lifts, build some strength and then begin building some mass. It won't happen over night and will never happen if you keep on like you have been.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.