XMarineRunner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Use of L-Arginine without getting Cold Sores

Hello all,

I have searched and searched for an answer to this question, but have been unable to find one that is satisfactory:

I have used Arginine in one form or another as a pre-workout supplement many times. I love it. Currently my favorite pre-workout supp is NO-Explode. However, it never fails... I use the supplement with Arginine and within a couple of days I have cold sores.

Now, we all know that Arginine is required for replication of the HSV, therefore causing the cold sore. However, what we don't know (or rather what I don't know) is how to reap the benefits of the amino while mitigating the negative side effects.

My thought here has to do with timing. I would like to know the timing required to pull off the following:

1. Blood must be relatively low on lysine to allow for arginine to enter bloodstream.
    2. Take Arginine Supplement and allow it to enter bloodstream for working out and remain in bloodstream for an optimal time period.
    3. Take lysine supplement within an appropriate time period to shift the balance back in favor of the lysine to prevent getting a cold sore.
    4. Rinse / repeat

Does anyone have any knowledge on this front or perhaps know of another way to get similar results without the Arginine?

mark0s has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Had to bump this thread..

I was wondering the same question. I bought some product with arginine in it and love how it works, but it is causing me to break out in cold sores.

I am aware that lysine is great for extinguishing the sores, but will the lysine I take counteract the arginine?

If i take the prework out stuff before my workout, then take my protein after my workout with extra lysine, will that help?

any help would be great, especially if anyone has tried anything like this.

thanks.

ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ocn2000 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Valtrex might help

valtrex.com/coldsores/cold_spread.html

Dan2riv2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan2riv2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan2riv2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan2riv2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan2riv2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan2riv2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan2riv2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan2riv2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan2riv2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan2riv2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan2riv2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lysine (might be spelled wrong) works for cold sores. My wife and I get them and have been using this for years. You can buy the lip balm or you can buy pill form. The pill is what I use and she uses the lip balm becuase she said it works better. We havent gotten cold sores for sometime now. hope this helps!!!

No it wontcounter anything you take. I have been taking supps for years and nothing seemed not to work.
    Last edited by Dan2riv2; 02-28-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: forgot to add

shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just as an aside, L-Arg is crap for pre-workout performance and/or gains. But then the OP also likes No Xplode a lot... so I guess liking L-Arg as well makes sense, heh.
    Latest Reviews:

My huge list of informative links: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132306613

Xtreme Formulations UP2 Multi-Flavor Review!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129562583

ZachSmash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ZachSmash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ZachSmash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ZachSmash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ZachSmash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ZachSmash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ZachSmash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ZachSmash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ZachSmash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ZachSmash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ZachSmash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    lysine!! i bought bulk lysine (1,000g) and i have a few grams a day. problem solved! i add it to my protein shakes.
    ZachSmash is a *******

bmallen1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by XMarineRunner View Post
    Hello all,

I have searched and searched for an answer to this question, but have been unable to find one that is satisfactory:
    I've searched for an answer to this same question. I'm currently taking Muscle Pharm Assault which has an L-Arginine blend. I'm on my second container and I've definitely experienced what you're going through. I'm looking into finding an alternative preworkout supplement that doesn't have or at least doesn't have as much arginine. I also recently started taking an anti viral medication and it helped the initial cold sore i had go away but then a week after healing I start to get another. It sucks.

But, for when you do have one, use Abreeva, use alcohol or peroxide with a q-tip, take lysine orally. Avoid chocolate, nuts, wheat products, oatmeal, soda, or other things containing high amounts of arginine. Also look into anti-viral medication if you can tolerate having the bottle visible in your medicine cabinet. It's such a stigmatizing thing for such a common a problem.

Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    why not just skip out on the arginine?

Originally Posted by Zanderini View Post
    why not just skip out on the arginine?
    A lot of pre workout supplements contain it. As well as protein supplements. It's hard to avoid. But I'm currently looking into alternatives.

Registered User theproctologist's Avatar
    theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    never had this problem when I was taking bulk arginine

Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zanderini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bmallen1 View Post
    A lot of pre workout supplements contain it. As well as protein supplements. It's hard to avoid. But I'm currently looking into alternatives.
    Protein only has arginine in the protein not added. Go with. Psu,vengeance,or others without arginine

Originally Posted by theproctologist View Post
    never had this problem when I was taking bulk arginine
    Apparently I have an arginine sensitivity because I'm getting a cold sore 1-2 times per month. luckily they barely stick around a week with the way that i treat them but still getting them none the less.

Registered User theproctologist's Avatar
    theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50) theproctologist will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    that's pretty weird, I've used it in bulk and in various PWOs and never experienced that. Do you know what causes that?

Originally Posted by theproctologist View Post
    that's pretty weird, I've used it in bulk and in various PWOs and never experienced that. Do you know what causes that?
    No I don't know the cause exactly, I've just read numerous articles that say arginine promotes cold sore outbreaks and that lysine can help reduce and/or control outbreaks.

I am working out pretty hard though, and putting my body through a lot of stress; maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm going to try a different PWO though, maybe body forge or vengeance or who knows. I just know a PWO supplement can make or break my workout. It helps out considerably after a long day's work in the office.

neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You have the herp.

allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) allieninja has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you workout in the morning, take your lysine with dinner. If you work out at night, take it with breakfast. Easy.

NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

I have used Arginine in one form or another as a pre-workout supplement many times.... I love it.
    I too love the placebo-mediated effects from arginine-based supplements as well.
    ~

Wherever progression lacks.... regress can be found in abundance.

ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Arginine is basically useless as far as working out/building muscle goes. If you're prone to cold sores, there's really no way of taking in arginine and making yourself immune to cold sore appearance. You can try mega-dosing L-Lysine as some others have suggested but that is a crapshoot at best. There's plenty of preworkout products made without l-arginine that can help you get the pre-workout boost you're looking for and not subject you to a crazy looking growth on your face for like a week.
    Russell Wilson, the first QB in NFL history to throw a game-winning interception.

"So you got fired again eh?" "Yeah, they always freak out when you leave the scene of an accident."

Spiders are like offensive linemen, the best ones do their job and you never notice them.

An obvious example of New Math.
    "It was a 2% tax hike, dumbass. From 3% to 5%"-NRKF84

keegan35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Results?

Hello all,

I have used Arginine in one form or another as a pre-workout supplement many times. I love it. Currently my favorite pre-workout supp is NO-Explode. However, it never fails... I use the supplement with Arginine and within a couple of days I have cold sores.

Now, we all know that Arginine is required for replication of the HSV, therefore causing the cold sore. However, what we don't know (or rather what I don't know) is how to reap the benefits of the amino while mitigating the negative side effects.

My thought here has to do with timing. I would like to know the timing required to pull off the following:

1. Blood must be relatively low on lysine to allow for arginine to enter bloodstream.
    2. Take Arginine Supplement and allow it to enter bloodstream for working out and remain in bloodstream for an optimal time period.
    3. Take lysine supplement within an appropriate time period to shift the balance back in favor of the lysine to prevent getting a cold sore.
    4. Rinse / repeat

Does anyone have any knowledge on this front or perhaps know of another way to get similar results without the Arginine?

Hey wondering if you have had any success? I used to have the same problem but stopped taking arginine sups. It's been a few years since I've tried it but don't want to go through the cold sore process. Did you try taking argon pre workout and then lysine post workout? What happened?

ish82 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bmallen1 View Post
    Apparently I have an arginine sensitivity because I'm getting a cold sore 1-2 times per month. luckily they barely stick around a week with the way that i treat them but still getting them none the less.
    Try taking L-lysine supplement, it def helps!

Cybergenics...it's bomb! lucia316's Avatar
    lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ish82 View Post
    Try taking L-lysine supplement, it def helps!
    Bro, I hope this guy has figured this out 8 years later...
    "I'm pretty sure your wrong, but care to elaborate..."

Retired account

TheFugitive, Manwittaplan, and ILPump are all the same guy...socktastic

FocusBC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Would you please list some of the non-arginine supplements.

AZLRS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bump...

Would love to know the answers myself. Have been taking Arginine for couple of months now.

Thanks!
    No promoting.

brainy22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From everything that i have read above, please know the following: I was diagnosed w.HSV 2 in 2015 and have done tons of reading and research and agree with what was said above re: L-Arginine....that you need to stay away from the foods said above such as oatmeal, chocolate, processed sugary sweets/foods such as cakes, candy, etc. If you continue having recurring cold stores after ingesting arginine, that means you possibly have HSV 1 which is the herpes simplex virus that is associated with the mouth. Since everyone's bodies are different, the best solution is to go and get tested to see if you have HSV 1. It's a swab test. If the results are positive, as hard as it may be, try and stay away from processed foods and wheat/oatmeal and foods that cause the cold sores which are the ones w.higher arginine. Yes, there is a lysine pill that you can take to counter act the arginine but that at times is not sufficient. When a cold sore appears, that means the herpes virus is flared up and this could be for a variety of reasons, foods consumed, stress... Yes, stress can cause a flare up. When the virus is flared up, the best thing to do is to take valtrex which you can obtain a prescription for. Please know that i am not a doctor and the above is all relayed from experience, research and reading about the HSV herpes virus for some time. You can google to see what foods are lower in arginine and higher in lysine as there is a website that provides that, off hand i dont know it. I've been a competing bbuilder for 6 years and i've had to get off oatmeal, almonds and foods that are high in arginine, mainly foods that all bodybuilders live off of but i've adjusted as best as i can.