Registered User petitpowerhouse's Avatar
    petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question How much muscle can you gain safely in about 6 months?

How much muscle can you gain realistically in about 6 months if you really throw yourself into it? I'm just curious to know because obviously gaining bad weight and loosing weight can be accomplished in a relatively short amount of time if you really set your mind to it. (And risked your health of course)
    Thanks in advance
    "Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe," - Albert Einstein

CharliC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CharliC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CharliC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CharliC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CharliC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CharliC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CharliC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CharliC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CharliC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CharliC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CharliC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The short answer: Not much.

This article by Lyle McDonald is very informative on the subject of genetic muscular potential- it can give you a rough idea of how much you could expect to gain.
    The Journal: Epiphanies, DOMS & Cottage Cheese
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110296001

Things that a fashion-trained PT does:
    http://charli-cohen.com

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pure muscle - a puny amount, unfortunately.
    Gaining substantial muscle mass in a female - roughly five years.

Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hannah73Louise will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I gained about 4lbs as a newb...
    "Ain't about how fast I get there.....it's the climb"

gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gixxer0.6g has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    With my raging male testosterone levels I'm lucky to get 4-5 lbs.
    Toxic Masculinity

petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50) petitpowerhouse will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It is definitely a delicate process. Ironically since I have been bulking, although I can see and feel that I have been getting firmer, I've lost weight. Very frustrating.
    "Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe," - Albert Einstein

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you're a beginner to lifting, you may see larger results than an experienced person - perhaps about 5lbs if you're lucky. Otherwise, 2-3lbs is more likely.
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

The responses posted are actually more than I thought. Anything is better than nothing, no?

NeedPerfection is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeedPerfection is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeedPerfection is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeedPerfection is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeedPerfection is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeedPerfection is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeedPerfection is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeedPerfection is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeedPerfection is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeedPerfection is on a distinguished road. (+10) NeedPerfection is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by petitpowerhouse View Post
    How much muscle can you gain realistically in about 6 months if you really throw yourself into it? I'm just curious to know because obviously gaining bad weight and loosing weight can be accomplished in a relatively short amount of time if you really set your mind to it. (And risked your health of course)
    Thanks in advance
    I went from 115 to 120 from six months of hard (powerlifting) training. Now I'm back to 117-118.

bbmaniac123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well I've been working out pretty hard for six months, taking creatine and protein, and have went from 137 to 159... How much of this is actually muscle and not water weight, ect. I'm not sure.

catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    On my first bulk as a newbie I gained 3lbs of muscle and 1lb of fat. This was after 3 months of lifting and eating at and slightly above maintenance.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by petitpowerhouse View Post
    It is definitely a delicate process. Ironically since I have been bulking, although I can see and feel that I have been getting firmer, I've lost weight. Very frustrating.
    That's not unusual. A lot of people go into bulking underestimating their maintenance. Get the metabolism fired up and you can eat more than you thought. Simply up the calories and double check your tracking method.

lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lotusdeva is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    That's not unusual. A lot of people go into bulking underestimating their maintenance. Get the metabolism fired up and you can eat more than you thought. Simply up the calories and double check your tracking method.
    I gained about 20 lbs in 6 months. I feel most of my gains are in the upper body, rather then lower. I posted some pics in my profile. Now, cutting is a total bit**!!!! It has been 6 weeks and I so far lost 4 pounds

Bring On The Pain! MMMKAYMAN1769's Avatar
    MMMKAYMAN1769 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMMKAYMAN1769 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMMKAYMAN1769 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMMKAYMAN1769 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMMKAYMAN1769 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMMKAYMAN1769 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMMKAYMAN1769 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMMKAYMAN1769 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMMKAYMAN1769 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMMKAYMAN1769 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MMMKAYMAN1769 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Depends on the person. Best bet is to workout legs 2x a week to optimize weight gains
    6'1'' 206lb

QuinH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Anything is possible, depends on the individual and how much you eat. In 6 months of hard training and good dieting, it will be a noticeable difference from day 1. I for example have been training again now for nearly five months, started at 68 kg's and have managed to put on a massive 16 kg's. Not all of its muscle though, in the process i gained a bit of body fat around the stomach like you would on any hi-carb protein. Im just a beginner though so results will start to slow down. But the results are there.

ks44magarica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was 170 a couple months ago, then went down to 165.

In the last two weeks however I've been taking in the recommended 1g protien/lb of bodyweight at minumum, and intake simple and complex carbs at breakfast, pre, and post workout, and am on an upper/lower split with ample cardio and supersets. I've gained 5 lbs of muscle in these two weeks and am going strong.

post workout i've been consuming about a .25g protein/lb bodyweight, and about .5g carbs/lb of bodyweight.

hope this helps!

christianrusch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ks44magarica View Post
    I've gained 5 lbs of muscle in these two weeks and am going strong.
    You're suggesting you put on 2,5 lbs of muscle in a week? Please.

Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50) Iamjustdenise will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I started seriously training in January of this year. On my own, no help. what I learned, I taught myself through reading and learning. Never focused on my diet ( now I am, but only until very very recently).

I probably gained about 2lbs. My profile pic is from yesterday.

shirun is on a distinguished road. (+10) shirun is on a distinguished road. (+10) shirun is on a distinguished road. (+10) shirun is on a distinguished road. (+10) shirun is on a distinguished road. (+10) shirun is on a distinguished road. (+10) shirun is on a distinguished road. (+10) shirun is on a distinguished road. (+10) shirun is on a distinguished road. (+10) shirun is on a distinguished road. (+10) shirun is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just my two cents, I started my bulk in august 2012 weighting 110 lbs. I ballooned up at 150 lbs (December). Lot of fat gains you can guess! I started recomping (sloppy diet tho) in March or so and now I float around 130-132 lbs. I'm planning of going down to 126-127 lbs and then bulk again (keeping it kinda lean this time). I have more body fat than when I started, but then again I was skinny as ****. Don't know how much muscle I've gained, but I think I look better now. I definitely feel better