fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Cardio or calorie deficit?

I'll be cutting in about a month (currently bulking) and wanted to know where to start, since i was kinda lost last time during my cut, as far as "cardio vs. calorie deficit" goes!

OK so i've been hearing different things in regards to starting a cut! Some say keep your calories the same and add cardio to your routine cuz changing your diet should be the last thing you do. Others say the exact opposite, calorie deficit and keeping cardio as a last resort...so which is it??
    http://www.fitnfabyou.com/

In blackness the answer is not to 'find the light', but to create it...

“Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.” Omar Khayyam

hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000) hyacinth30 is just really nice. (+1000)
    In order to lose 1 lbs you need to create a deficit of 3500 calories. Personally Id create a deficit in your diet, and then add in cardio as necessary. You dont want to overdo cardio and risk losing muscle mass.

new heights of badassity summertown74's Avatar
    summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    When your body is creating energy and doesn't have a surplus of energy to do so, it will draw on a mix of carbs, fat, & proteins. The percentage of each just depends on how quickly your body needs the energy. But it will be using a mix of all three, so there's no way to be in a deficit and not burn at least a small amount of proteins. That's why you want to have a nice big base of muscle before you cut--cuz you're defintely gonna lose a little bit if your cut goes on long.

As far as cardio vs calories, I'd say do whatever's easiest for you. Contrary to popular opinion, your body doesn't much care how the deficit came about--a deficit is a deficit is a deficit You can start with the easiest method for you, then when progress stalls, pull another trick out of your bag.

JMHO....
    wabi sabi...the art of finding beauty in the imperfections of life.

fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for your advice! I don't particularly like cardio so i'd rather use it as a last resort!

Beesting23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Personally I would choose cardio for the reason that it's good for you, makes you feel good after you have completed it (even if you dread it) and it will speed up your metabolism. When you reach a plateau, then you just add in five minutes to the total time. Alternatively, you can create a calorie deficit (300-500 cals) and do low intensity cardio. The low intensity cardio wont push up your heart rate too much and you burn fat (free fatty acids become available to fuel your cardio session) and you wont break down muscle tissue. If you choose the calorie deficit over cardio, I would still do cardio as the calorie deficit lowers your overall body's metabolism so the cardio just gives your metabolism that extra boost

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I choose to go lower in a deficit and save my energy for my lifting. I want to preserve my muscle while dieting so more cardio is not the way I want to go.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Beesting23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if you keep the cardio to low intensity, you will burn fat and not muscle so you wont need to worry about losing muscle. Saving energy for lifting is a good idea, lift weights first follwed by 20 min low intensity cardio after you are done lifting

viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The problem with low intensity is you have to do ALOT of it to get a good defecit going wihtout cutting much from your diet.

Too much cardio in general makes recovery harder for your body (really too much activity, weights or cardio) and when youre in a defecit, that's the issue - you've got to be able to recover decently to keep hitting the weights and keep active.

Just a kinda keep that in mind

Yeah i really don't have time to do 40 mins of cardio everyday and Kimm is always saying that diet is more important. I was thinking about doing some HIIT but then again i'm afraid of losing LBM =\

Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I kind of have the same question. BF and i were talking the other day about it and we were wondering what would happen if someone had an excellent diet and did both cardio and weights...

I am in the Kimm camp here but BF isn't totally convinced of it...he is in the camp of "great diet combined with a bit of cardio a weights".

I did mention to him that even though women do train the same as men, we also have a lot less muscle then men do, so when leaning out, you want to be careful not to have so much of a deficit that you start to loose muscle. Men can sometimes loose muscle during a cut and still look great, however for women a small muscle loss can make a world of difference visually. Not to mention we work so darned hard to put muscle on our bodies!

I will however state that i feel as though i need to put more cardio into my routine, not because i want to loose weight, but because of health reasons. I feel that my cardiovascular fitness really does suck (i can't run worth crap). I at least want to feel like i could run away from some crazy person in the event that i needed to!

Talking

Originally Posted by Linds33 View Post

I will however state that i feel as though i need to put more cardio into my routine, not because i want to loose weight, but because of health reasons. I feel that my cardiovascular fitness really does suck (i can't run worth crap). I at least want to feel like i could run away from some crazy person in the event that i needed to!
    LOL i feel the same way!!!! My friends always try to challenge me too.
    Friend:you look really great, now let's see if you can run as fast as i do!
    Me: Doh! lol

Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Linds33 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by fery321 View Post
    LOL i feel the same way!!!! My friends always try to challenge me too.
    Friend:you look really great, now let's see if you can run as fast as i do!
    Me: Doh! lol
    I am so glad i am not the only one!!!

I have NEVER been good at running. After about 3 minutes i get winded and cramp up. I can walk, rollerblade, dance, ski, swordfight etc. but get me to run and i feel so out of shape!

I do have a little bit of exercise induced asthma so maybe that is it?

Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Taylormae is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Linds33 View Post
    I kind of have the same question. BF and i were talking the other day about it and we were wondering what would happen if someone had an excellent diet and did both cardio and weights...

I am in the Kimm camp here but BF isn't totally convinced of it...he is in the camp of "great diet combined with a bit of cardio a weights".

I did mention to him that even though women do train the same as men, we also have a lot less muscle then men do, so when leaning out, you want to be careful not to have so much of a deficit that you start to loose muscle. Men can sometimes loose muscle during a cut and still look great, however for women a small muscle loss can make a world of difference visually. Not to mention we work so darned hard to put muscle on our bodies!

I like cardio for that reason as well. Since i've been working on intense running and cycling, my lungs have gotten so much stronger. I'm an asthma sufferer but haven't needed an inhaler in almost 2 years now and can now run in cold weather without wheezing. When I'm forced to take a long break from cardio I can really feel it in my lung capacity and heart strength.
    http://www.focus4fitness.co.uk