momx2boys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need advice for 12yr old son

I need some training advice for my 12 yr old son. He is just finishing 3 1/2 months of hard wrestling season (2hour practices-3 x week) before that he played competitive and school football which was from March through mid November. He has always been a big boy, just turned 12 in Jan, he is 5'9 152#. Over the course of 9 months he went from 163 to 152. I am assuming a lot of this is due to puberty, because I have noticed his body composition has changed(appears to be losing "baby fat"). He is not going to be doing any athletics until mid summer, so I am looking for recommendations as to what we can do to maintain his weight loss, he unfortunatly has bad genetics and easily gains weight like his mom. I have to watch everything I eat and do cardio 3x week and weight train 4x week to maintain.
    I am unsure as to what is appropriate weight training for a 12 yr old. He is very willing to do cardio, I need to know what would be safe and acceptable weight training for his age? I have the knowledge to teach him proper form, I am just unsure of what amount of weight for a youth would be OK w/out causing injury. If anybody has some good tips for me they would really be appreciated. Thanks

180 somethin in avi Mixed_Breed's Avatar
    Mixed_Breed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mixed_Breed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mixed_Breed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mixed_Breed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mixed_Breed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mixed_Breed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mixed_Breed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mixed_Breed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mixed_Breed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mixed_Breed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mixed_Breed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by momx2boys View Post
    I need some training advice for my 12 yr old son. He is just finishing 3 1/2 months of hard wrestling season (2hour practices-3 x week) before that he played competitive and school football which was from March through mid November. He has always been a big boy, just turned 12 in Jan, he is 5'9 152#. Over the course of 9 months he went from 163 to 152. I am assuming a lot of this is due to puberty, because I have noticed his body composition has changed(appears to be losing "baby fat"). He is not going to be doing any athletics until mid summer, so I am looking for recommendations as to what we can do to maintain his weight loss, he unfortunatly has bad genetics and easily gains weight like his mom. I have to watch everything I eat and do cardio 3x week and weight train 4x week to maintain.
    I am unsure as to what is appropriate weight training for a 12 yr old. He is very willing to do cardio, I need to know what would be safe and acceptable weight training for his age? I have the knowledge to teach him proper form, I am just unsure of what amount of weight for a youth would be OK w/out causing injury. If anybody has some good tips for me they would really be appreciated. Thanks

If it helps i started lifting at 13 the end of 8th grade

For cardio you should let him run track it would help with football

Displeasing Aesthetically scantraxx's Avatar
    scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    He's 12 and what is this?

lol but on a serious note I wouldnt get him doing any weightlifting yet, maybe just some push ups, sit ups and bodyweight squats along with the cardio.

Lift2Hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2Hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2Hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2Hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2Hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2Hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2Hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2Hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2Hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2Hard is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lift2Hard is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    have him do the basics, squats, deadlifts, bench, bb rows, and military press paired with cardio and a healthy, balanced, high protein diet. that will maintain his weight loss and build some muscle

Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000)
    Master his body weight. Pull-ups, dips, sit-ups, leg raises. All that jazz. Maybe some sprinting.
    R.I.P. Frvrmuscle

Goals by end of the year

3 plate bench
    4 plate squat
    5 plate deadlift

Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Lift2Hard View Post
    have him do the basics, squats, deadlifts, bench, bb rows, and military press paired with cardio and a healthy, balanced, high protein diet. that will maintain his weight loss and build some muscle
    I'd hold off on the weight training till 13/14, just make sure that his diet is balanced and healthy at this point, I'd personally enroll my child in boxing or a martial art if I were in your position, there is a decent amount of cardio involved, its something that a kid would generally find fun and want to stick with, and learning self defense can't hurt either.

SteezyChr is just really nice. (+1000) SteezyChr is just really nice. (+1000) SteezyChr is just really nice. (+1000) SteezyChr is just really nice. (+1000) SteezyChr is just really nice. (+1000) SteezyChr is just really nice. (+1000) SteezyChr is just really nice. (+1000) SteezyChr is just really nice. (+1000) SteezyChr is just really nice. (+1000) SteezyChr is just really nice. (+1000) SteezyChr is just really nice. (+1000)
    the wrestling club i trained at, they also conditioned you for wrestling...muscle and cardio. They did it by age groups. At his age i would assume this would be the best route to go, he would learn better technique and get in great physical shape for the sport.
    "Hell is not a place you go if you're not a Christian, it's the failure of your life's greatest ambitions"
    "Is it progression if a cannibal uses a fork?"
    -------------
    <^Not into girls who are into B*BC cRew^>
    <^Politics & Religion are Dumb as FUUU cRew^>
    <^Don't care about girls, but still get approached by 8's cRew^>
    <^Ppl commenting on you taking a break from the gym, yet they've never picked up a weight cRew^>

U mad cus Im moss'n on U? iGoHam's Avatar
    iGoHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) iGoHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) iGoHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) iGoHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) iGoHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) iGoHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) iGoHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) iGoHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) iGoHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) iGoHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) iGoHam will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by scantraxx View Post
    lol but on a serious note I wouldnt get him doing any weightlifting yet, maybe just some push ups, sit ups and bodyweight squats along with the cardio.
    Originally Posted by Teench View Post
    Master his body weight. Pull-ups, dips, sit-ups, leg raises. All that jazz. Maybe some sprinting.
    these are good.
    It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.

Psalm 18:32

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As long as he someone teaches him proper form and he uses submaximal weights, I don't see anything wrong with lifting at 12 y/o.

Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chocwhey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by SteezyChr View Post
    the wrestling club i trained at, they also conditioned you for wrestling...muscle and cardio. They did it by age groups. At his age i would assume this would be the best route to go, he would learn better technique and get in great physical shape for the sport.
    oh yeah, that's right, Olympic wrestling is big in America, do that!

LiftRightMeow is just really nice. (+1000) LiftRightMeow is just really nice. (+1000) LiftRightMeow is just really nice. (+1000) LiftRightMeow is just really nice. (+1000) LiftRightMeow is just really nice. (+1000) LiftRightMeow is just really nice. (+1000) LiftRightMeow is just really nice. (+1000) LiftRightMeow is just really nice. (+1000) LiftRightMeow is just really nice. (+1000) LiftRightMeow is just really nice. (+1000) LiftRightMeow is just really nice. (+1000)
    nvm

RodMan661 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RodMan661 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RodMan661 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RodMan661 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RodMan661 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RodMan661 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RodMan661 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RodMan661 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RodMan661 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RodMan661 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RodMan661 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

MrDURPEEDURP is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MrDURPEEDURP is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MrDURPEEDURP is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MrDURPEEDURP is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MrDURPEEDURP is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MrDURPEEDURP is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MrDURPEEDURP is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MrDURPEEDURP is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MrDURPEEDURP is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MrDURPEEDURP is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MrDURPEEDURP is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Strong sense of stunted growth if you start weight lifting now.

Get him on (like previous users said) body weight exercises.

The best :

1 leg body squats
    wall squats (super win, super he's gonna hate the f**k outta you)
    lunges
    Shoulder-width, wide, diamond push-ups (vary the three)
    Pull/chin-ups
    Crunches
    Leg extensions
    Bicycle kicks
    Bear crawls
    Crab walks
    Dips

Should just about cover everything.
    >>Member of the "I lost 100lbs Club" !<< :D

SupahStarr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SupahStarr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SupahStarr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SupahStarr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SupahStarr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SupahStarr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SupahStarr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SupahStarr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SupahStarr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SupahStarr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SupahStarr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    As mentioned above a lot, stick to bodyweight exercises. He's still young, and growing. Most of his exercise should come from playing with his friends outside or something
    I rep back everyone

moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Get him on a BW exercise routine, like 4-5 days a week. Work on footwork and agility as well. Start him lifting after he has achieved a decent stength base.
    M.S. Exercise Physiology - Powerlifter - Strength and Conditioning Coach - Personal Trainer
    Current goals: Bench 400, Squat 545, Deadlift 550

hammersforteeth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammersforteeth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammersforteeth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammersforteeth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammersforteeth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammersforteeth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammersforteeth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammersforteeth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammersforteeth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammersforteeth is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammersforteeth is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    hmmm will give you good advice in exchange for nudes.
    "And I'm not afraid to die, I'm not afraid to waste my life because when I die I'm going to paradise So I'm not worried, and I'm in a hurry to die."

Displeasing Aesthetically scantraxx's Avatar
    scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) scantraxx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by hammersforteeth View Post
    hmmm will give you good advice in exchange for nudes.
    In437yearoldmothersnudephotos