bkazdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Supplement Transition - from Fat Loss to Muscle Mass

Background
    Two and a half years ago I did P90X and got into the best shape of my life. I went through many life changing events over the next few years and my personal fitness took a large hit. I am determined this year to get back into better shape and change my habits to live a healthier lifestyle.

I began training again and am currently in week 5 of P90X. So far my results have been matching my efforts and I am very happy with my progress. My first month's primary goals were to comfortably fit in my pants and reduce my body fat percentage significantly. I met both of those goals and have found that I am now in good shape, but there is still much work to be done.

I am following the P90X nutritional guide very closely and during Phase 1 I ate at Level 1. My body weight is currently around 150lb and around 7% body fat. During the next few weeks I hope to shed just a little bit more body fat, but more importantly I hope to improve my posture and upper body mass. From a fitness perspective I have committed to lifting heavier weights with maximum reps between 7 and 8.

I have found that now that I am pushing the workouts harder I need to eat more, so I am eating between level 1 and 2 (adding an additional vegetable and protein to my diet). Even with this I still feel that my upper body strength will increase but my mass will not unless I make some adjustments.

Workout, Current Nutrition and Supplements:
    I work out in the morning and usually begin between 6-7am depending upon my day's schedule.

I take half a scoop of Optimum Nutrition's Natural 100% Whey Gold Standard before my workout along with half of my daily supplement of GNC Pro Performance Branched Chain Amino Acids 1800. When I finish my workout I take a full scoop of the protein powder and the other half of the BCAA pills. At that time I also take my multi vitamin (Young Living Master Formula HIS) and one serving of GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Creatine 189.

I then follow the P90X diet for the rest of the day and end with a serving of cottage cheese at around 8PM.

It is very important that I avoid artificial sweeteners and flavoring. Please make sure any suggestions are healthy and free of them.

Should I make any changes to the supplements I am taking?

Notes:
    Please don't make this thread about P90X. I chose the system because of its high intensity, balance, and completeness. Also, it is a system that my wife and I can do together.
    Last edited by bkazdan; 02-18-2010 at 07:17 PM.

bkazdan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have enough protein for about 10 more days, so I need to make a decision about what to buy next and act on it within a day or two.

I am thinking about Optimum Presents Natural Pro Complex instead of just whey.