Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000)

Almost everything you want to know about Keto

Something I've been working on. Not spell checked/proof read.

I read the "The Metobolic Diet" by Mauro Di Pasquale and "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald. I've also been trolling around the bodybuilding.com keto forum and some other various web sites and articles. I had to dig for most information, so I'm going to provide a brief summary of what the diet is, how it works, how to get started and anything else that pops into my head while I write.

History
    The ketogenic diet (Keto) was developed in the early 1900's as a use of a starvation diet to help control seizures in children (epilepsy). Due to a difficult time sustaining starvation for an extended period of time for disease management, nutrition researchers looked for a way to mimic a starvation diet while allowing for proper nutrient consumption. They determined that a diet high in fat, low in carbohydrates, and minimal protein needed to sustain growth could allow the patient to maintain the diet for longer periods of time. A diet was then developed by a Dr. Wilder that essentailly controled pediatric epilepsy where other treatments have failed. In the 30's, 40's and 50's new epilepsy drugs were developed, and due to taking a pill being easier than maintaining a diet, the diet fell through the cracks. In 1994, the diet was rediscovered in the case of a boy with uncontrollable seizures by his father who was looking for more information on seizue control. Around the same time, the bodybuilding community got ahold of the diet and structured it to their needs in diets.

Biology of Keto
    The body has four primary fuels which it can use (1) glucose (2) protein (3) free fatty acids and (4) ketones. These fuels are varrying in proportions in the body, with the primary stored source is triglyceride stored in adipose tissue, followed by glucose and protein. The body will tap into these sources depending on the metobolic state of the body.
    The body will choose which source to use based on its concentration in the blood stream. If there is a greater concentration of one source, the body will choose it first, and if it has a low concentration of one source, it will be chosen last. So, by decreasing the carbohydrate availability, the body will switch to using a different source, fat.
    When enough glucose is consumed, it is the primary fuel of choice for most body tissues. Most tissues can use free fatty acids for fuel if enough is available.

Chemistry of Ketones
    There are 3 ketone bodies (1) acetoacetat (AcAc), (2) beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB) and (3) acetone. AcAc and BHB are produced from the condensation of acetly-CoA, a biproduct of incomplete breakdown of free fatty acids in the liver.

What Ketones do
    The primary role of ketones is to replace glucose as a fat-derived fuel for the brain. Some believe that the brain can only use glucose for energy, however it is also stated that is can derive 75% of its energy requirements from ketones. They also decrease the production of liver glucose and some believe act as a signal to tell the body to shift from using glucose as the primary source, to fat. The second function is to be a fuel for the rest of the body, allowing the limited glucose intake to be used by the brain. The last function is to inhibit protein breakdown in times of starvation.

What is ketosis
    Ketosis is the end result of a shift in the insulin/glucagon ration and indicates an overall shift from a glucose based metabolism to a fat based metabolism. Ketones can be detected in two ways. Ketonemia, a buildup of ketone bodies in the blood, and ketonuria, a buildup and excretion of ketones in kidneys leading to the presence of ketones in the urine. This is where we use ketone detection stips to test the urine for the presence of ketones. Ketone concentrations vary throughout the day and are generally lower in the morning and peaking around midnight.

Setting Calories
    For fat loss restrict calories by 500-1000 by day should yield 1-2 lb fat loss a week.
    For finding your metoblic rate, take your total bodyweight and subtract your fat weight (bodyfat %), then multiply by 15-16 calories per lb. I'll use myself for an example
    Total weight: 270 lbs
    Bodyfat %: 20%
    270 x .20 = 54 lbs fat
    270 - 54 = 216 lbs lean weight
    216 x 16 = 3456 Metobolic Rate
    Then add a 20% calorie/day deficit to allow for 1-2 lbs of fat loss a week.
    3456 x .20 = 691.2
    3456 - 691.2 = 2764.8 calories/day
    Macronutrient Intake
    Protein intake 0.9g per lb of lean body weight.
    Carbohydrate intake 30g per day
    Fat intake total amount of left over calories
    Again for me
    Protein 216 x 0.9 = 194.4 g/day 195 x 4 cal/g = 780 cal
    Carbohydrate 30g x 4 cal/g = 120 cal
    Fat 120 + 780 = 900 900 - 2765 = 1865 cal / 9cal/g = 207 g
    So daily intake
    2765 calories
    195 grams protein (780 cal)
    30 grams carbohydrate (120 cal)
    207 grams fat (1865 cal)

---------- Update 2/17/10

When to eat carbohydrates
    When it comes to keto, there are a few types you can follow. First is the Standard Ketogenic Diet (SKD), the SKD cannot sustain high-intensity weight training or high-intensity aerobic training, thus some carbohydrates must be incorperated. This is where modified ketogenic diets come in. First is the Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD), where carbohydrates are injested around exercise only, and next is the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD), where the dieter alternates peroids of ketogenic diet (5-6 days) with periods of high carbohydrate intake (1-2 days).
    TKD is used by those who cannot perform the carb loading peroids, or those just starting an exercise program and are not able to perform the amount of exercise needed to deplete muscle glycogen stores.
    CKD is used by more experienced individuals who are more advanced in terms of thier exercise programs. The goal of exercise in this case is a full depletion of muscle glycogen between peroids of carbohydrate refeeding.
    The standard format of CKD is 5-6 days of ketogenic dieting with 1-2 days of carbohydrate loading. The dieter can experiment with longer ketogenic cycles (10-12 days) or shorter cycles (3-4 days). The carb loading peroid will switch the body's metabolism out of ketosis, with a goal of refilling muscle glycogen high enough to sustain exercise performance in the next cycle (week).

The Carb Load
    The key to refilling muscle glycogen stores following depletion is to consum large amounts of carbohydrates. Some dieters will simply eat as many carbs as possible, without worrying about exact percents, for 24-36 hours. Though this works well, some have to have the exact numbers and plans for the refeed. The amount of glycogen needed to replenish depends on numerous factors including degree of glycogen depletion, the amount and type of carbohydrates consumed, and the timing of the consumption.
    The rate of glycogen resynthesis depends on the activity of the enzymes involved in glycogen synthesis. Following full glycogen depletion, glycogen levels can reternto 100% of normal levels within 24 hours as long as sufficient amounts of carbohydrates are consumed. The total amount needed is 8-10 grams per pound of LBM. The first 6 hours after training are the most critical as enzyme activty and resynthesis rates are highest. Following weight training, 1.5 grams/kg LBM are taken immediatly after training and again 2 hours later. Consumption of 50 grams every 2 hours during the first 24 hour period after trainging is about the maximum that can be resynthesized. Heavier or lighted dieters can adjust carbohydrates up or down using the guide of 8-10 grams of carbohydrates per kg of LBM.
    During the first 24 hour period, high GI carbs can promote higher levels of glycogen resynthesis. During the rest of the refeed, lower GI carbs are recomeded to promote highed resynthesis, while avoiding fat gain by keeping insulin levels more stable. It is also suggested to start off the refeed with high GI carbohydrates or even liquid carbohydrates during the first few meals, then switching to more complex carbohydrates.
    Depending when the refeed is performed, some may have to go long peroids without carbohydrates (ie sleeping). In order to maintain blood glucose levels during sleep, it is suggested to figure out the amount of time that you will spend sleeping, then use the 50g for every 2 hours of sleep. Consume this meal with a protein, fat, and fiber to slow digestion and promote resynthesis longer. And to recap, during the first 24 hours macronutrient ratios should be 70% carbs, 15% protein and 15% fat. During the next 24 hours, rates of 60% carbs, 25% protein, and 15% fat.
    More to come when I get time/energy.
    Last edited by Dash007; 02-17-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: more info

Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000) Dash007 is just really nice. (+1000)
    reserved

ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Off to a good start! I like it, lots of good coverage all in one place.
    My first powerlifting meet: October 5th 2013

stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stschott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am clearly lacking a basic piece of knowledge here... why do I need to consume large quantities of fat? I am roughly 13% BF, shouldn't I have enough adipose tissue for my body to use in lieu of dietary fat? Or is it just a measure to stem muscle loss?

Dietary fat intake will be the primary source of fuel for the body during times of low carbohyrdate intake. Its been stated that exteremly obese people can survive a fasting state for up to a year without a carbohydrate refeed. In the case of having 13% body fat, your stores are limited, and while the body will tap into the stored body fat for fuel, it will not meet the entire energy demands for a person exercising. So by injesting fats, you'll be able to meet the total calorie requirement for the day. I hope this clears it up some.

ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ophelia53 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The whole poin of keto is to use fat as fuel instead of carbs.
    The cleaner the fat, the better it is. Ie: fish, chicken, eggs, etc.
    Full fat butter, cottage cheese, regular brick cheese is good, as are nut oils (watch out for added sugars and carbs!) to help you meet your intake.
    My first powerlifting meet: October 5th 2013