fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Wink Can you get buff on push ups?

a friend on mine claims that by doing push ups every morning you can have "toned" arms. When someone says "toned" i immediately think losing fat for your muscle to show.... but if you're a tiny girl with very little muscle mass then no matter how much weight you lose, you''ll arms will never look super defined they'll just be skinny! Am i right?!?

PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I think it depends on what you consider "toned". The models on the cover of Shape and Fitness magazines are probably considered toned by most people, meaning they have a little muscle and not a whole lot of fat on them. That is probably what your friend wants. The models on those magazines aren't as skinny or skinny fat as fashion models (usually) but they are more skinny than buff, in my opinion. The Shape magazine look is what many people are going for when they say they want to be "toned". I think push-ups would be a good way to get that look. It would be better to do just push ups than just do cardio, like many people. Push ups are a good compound exercise that helps develop your arms, chest, core, shoulders and back. I wouldn't depend on just push ups to meet my goals, but I want bigger and better muscles than a lot of people. Obviously to get a body builder physique, we need to do a lot more than push-ups. To get a "toned" Shape model look, well, push ups could work, at least for the upper body. It takes a lot more to get the look most of us want on this site.
    Last edited by PattyU; 02-15-2010 at 03:41 PM.

fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fery321 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PattyU View Post
    I think it depends on what you consider "toned". The models on the cover of Shape and Fitness magazines are probably considered toned by most people, meaning they have a little muscle and not a whole lot of fat on them. That is probably what your friend wants. The models on those magazines aren't as skinny or skinny fat as fashion models (usually) but they are more skinny than buff, in my opinion. The Shape magazine look is what many people are going for when they say they want to be "toned". I think push-ups would be a good way to get that look. It would be better to do just push ups than just do cardio, like many people. Push ups are a good compound exercise that helps develop your arms, chest, core, shoulders and back. I wouldn't depend on just push ups to meet my goals, but I want bigger and better muscles than a lot of people. Obviously to get a body builder physique, we need to do a lot more than push-ups. To get a "toned" Shape model look, well, push ups could work, at least for the upper body. It takes a lot more to get the look most of us want on this site.
    Yeah you're right, that's probably the look they want because every time they ask me how muscular i want to get,i show them Jillian Michaels or a picture of a figure competitor, and they're always like, waaa?!?? that's too muscular... and they look at me like i've committed a crime! =\ lol

justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50) justass will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by fery321 View Post
    Yeah you're right, that's probably the look they want because every time they ask me how muscular i want to get,i show them Jillian Michaels or a picture of a figure competitor, and they're always like, waaa?!?? that's too muscular... and they look at me like i've committed a crime! =\ lol
    Jillian Michaels is too muscular? LMAO.
    Citius! Fortius! Altius!

www.miamifuryfootball.com

Justass of the Piece, #3.14
    Miami Fury starting center, retired roller derby player and coach and continually aspiring tough chick

crimsonfox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think you can get buff on push ups. I did p90x, which has a lot of push ups. I went from benching about 95lbs pre p90x to 160lbs post p90x. I gained a lot of strength, and my chest looks fuller. My breasts are also firmer.

Push ups are a good compound exercise. You can also use a push up bar, wear a weighted vest, a backback full of weight, single legged, one armed, etc to make it more challenging and increase your strength and size gains.

So I guess what matters is what type of push up you are doing. If you are doing 10 from your knees, then it is unlikely you will see results you are looking for. However, if you are challenging yourself and doing more reps and increasing the difficulty, then I think push ups are a great exercise. I use them a lot since I no longer have a bench to do bench press.

JAWS22 is just really nice. (+1000) JAWS22 is just really nice. (+1000) JAWS22 is just really nice. (+1000) JAWS22 is just really nice. (+1000) JAWS22 is just really nice. (+1000) JAWS22 is just really nice. (+1000) JAWS22 is just really nice. (+1000) JAWS22 is just really nice. (+1000) JAWS22 is just really nice. (+1000) JAWS22 is just really nice. (+1000) JAWS22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ever see people in the penitentiary?

Originally Posted by justass View Post
    Jillian Michaels is too muscular? LMAO.
    my thoughts exactly! XD