Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Should I lose fat first then build muscle?

I lost my job a year ago so I had to cut out things to trim the budget. I was able to renew my membership for 6 months so I've got 6 months to make some progress. Okay. I'm not new to working out BUT I have not worked out regularly in 3 years. I have gained quite a bit of weight from not feeling good about myself and life has thrown me some curves. I'm older now and make a promise to someone that if they got their pro card, I would get in shape. I also think my weight is keeping me from getting hired for some jobs even though I have great qualifications (another story for another day). So, I am going to see if this will help my job situation and work on keeping that promise. I use to workout regularly with weights and do cardio after each session. I really need to lose quite a bit of weight but being the classic endomorph, I gain muscle easily as well as FAT. I am going to the nutrition store and grocery store to get some eggwhites, salsa, protein powder, omega 3 oils, glutamine, fruit, chicken, rice, waterpacked tuna, veggies and skim milk to make my MRP shakes. Shooting for living on 1800-2000 cal/day. That will help me with the diet since I don't cook and need foods that are quick and easy to make. Should I just concentrate on good cardio sessions twice a day to lose the body fat first THEN incorporate weights to build up the muscle mass I have? I am 43, 5'5", weigh over 200 lbs. I have broad shoulders, stocky build and built for strength. The last benchpress I did was 225lb years ago so that gives you an ideal of how strong I use to be. Haven't tried it in years but I think I can do that again after some training. I like to base my progress on whether or not I can fit into my jeans. For now, I'm concerned about dropping bodyfat to fit into my jeans again and after that, then I'll start looking at the scale and think about numbers. I have anxiety about returning to the gym and although I know more than most overweight people, I am having a hard time getting together a routine for reintroducing myself to the gym. I finally want to get that muscular look and I am a woman who is not afraid to put on muscle. Hell, I'm built for it! I was just going to go to the gym and do 60 min of cardio to get back in the swing of things but I think I can do better than that. Sincere input is appreciated.
    Last edited by ironbelle; 02-14-2010 at 11:30 PM.

crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10) crouton is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is what I am doing - I am focusing on losing weight first then building muscle. I am lifting, but I'm not focusing so much on muscle gains at this point. The reading I've been doing has given me mixed info. One says that newbies / overweight people can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Others say not to mistake strength gains for muscle gains.

I am lifting, though, because when the fat comes off I hope there is some lean muscle that will show through AND muscle will continue to burn calories after the workout where cardio will not do that. I am doing cardio 5-6 days a week, but not 60 minutes worth. I like to mix up the cardio and do different things of different intensity / duration to keep it interesting.

This is a good article that I think everyone should read too:

http://www.stumptuous.com/honesty-is-the-best-policy

And also remember that weight loss is not just about whatever exercise program you choose. It's about diet. You mentioned you don't cook. I do strongly recommend that you learn to cook some simple meals. You can use a slow cooker or an indoor grill machine like a George Foreman grill and make some good, easy meals. You can cook a few chicken breasts ahead of time and have them in the fridge ready to eat. MRP shakes are fine in moderation, but you need to try to get your calories from good, wholesome food as much as possible.

So that is my 2 cents. I'm sure some more experienced people will chime in as well.

ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10) ironbelle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That's why I said in my message I was picking foods that were easy to prepare since I dont' cook. I don't make these sit down meals. I use a microwave and eat out of tupperware.

runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) runner03 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ironbelle View Post
    That's why I said in my message I was picking foods that were easy to prepare since I dont' cook. I don't make these sit down meals. I use a microwave and eat out of tupperware.
    I think you will find that a lot of us who eat healthy eat out of tupperware! lol
    If you can it's best to cook up your meats like chicken, egg whites etc before hand and then microwave them when you are at work or traveling.
    A lot of people do 1 weeks worth of meat...just depends on the time you have.

I like microwaving oatmeal and adding either chicken or egg whites
    You can make sandwiches using the arnold wheat thins (they are 100 cals)
    Protein shakes are good things to take with you. If you need more than 1 you can put the stuff in baggies and put in shake when you need them.
    You can cook anything in a microwave! Sweet potatoes are a good carb to have.

Almonds are a good snack to have...the list really does go on and on. Just make sure to plan ahead and be armed. Also, don't forget raw fruits and veggies are always easy to eat and bring along!

I would not suggest eating microwaveable meals, they are high in sodium and over all not good for you. If you must then limit to a couple per week.

And of course, make sure to drink a gallon of water a day!
    "I can feel the wind go by when I run.
    It feels good. It feels fast."

We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121848731
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=106870791

pringlemaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pringlemaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Imo, your goal should be both. (at least mine is)
    Main reason, the muscle you build will help you burn more calories throughout the day. Also, you will be starting your body building program from a good foundation if you start lifting now.

I also gain muscle easily and can see definition in my calves and legs, which were already on the muscular side, but as the fat goes the muscles are popping and I like the strength/definition. This is a nice development, as previously, I went the cardio route of losing weight, and while it worked, I also lost muscle mass, felt weak, and hit a plateau that lasted a few years. In fact, I am still struggling with it. Definitely the low protein diet, which gave me a nice initial loss of pounds, and lack of weighted exercise worked against my progress in the long run. So, please, do your body a favor and make it easier on yourself by doing both (along with a good diet).

Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No, Do both.
    The more muscle you have the more calories you burn throughout the day.

Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000) Jen_K is just really nice. (+1000)
    At first I thought I should lose fat first, and then lift weights for muscle. So I focused on diet and cardio at the begining of my weight loss.

I now wish I started lifting weights earlier on to lose the weight faster, as well as change the shape of my body.

Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000) Sami76 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm focusing more on losing the fat, but still am trying to preserve as much muscle as possible. Putting on muscle mass without losing fat would depress me when looking in the mirror. I think by training hard and eating healthy (under calorie maintenance--not extreme, though), you can't go wrong.
    Mind strong, body strong.

rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Its great you decided to do this. I would say get back to a solid weight workout and do some cardio to help with the fat loss. Clean up your diet and just see what happens. If the fat doesnt just start coming off on its own from all the changes, reevaluate after a month or so and drop your calorie count by 500 or so. Keep doing this til you are happy.

I Train to Bring You Pain kfisherx's Avatar
    kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    At your weight DEFINATELY focus on fat loss first. The whole build muscle thing will happen just fine for you with your body type and with just coming back. Be in an honest deficit and adjust from there if you need to. My guess is that is going to be the toughest part for you...

atalley23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) atalley23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Boxer702 View Post
    No, Do both.
    The more muscle you have the more calories you burn throughout the day.
    Agree. Attack your goals from both ends. Cardio burns calories in the moment, lean muscle on your body raises your metabolism so you burn more throughout the day. If you want faster results, do both.
    One Decision, One Committment, One Life

BaneHammer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BaneHammer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BaneHammer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BaneHammer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BaneHammer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BaneHammer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BaneHammer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BaneHammer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BaneHammer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BaneHammer is on a distinguished road. (+10) BaneHammer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The more muscle you have the faster your metabolism will be and the faster you will loose weight. The formula works every time.
    Don't be afraid to put on muscle, it's not as easy as it looks. Slaughtering yourself in high intensity classes and not completely addressing your eating will make it a slow and painful process. Working to bring up your lean muscle, be very active (lots of low-mid intensity cardio) and focusing on eating REAL foods will get you there much faster.

Unhappy

*deleted*
    Last edited by ironbelle; 02-26-2010 at 10:56 AM.

adolly147 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Ironbelle, I think you know more about what you need to do than someone doing a post, because you know exactly how your body responds to workout and diet. I recommend doing both cardio and weights, and change up the ratio of how much of each depending on how your body reacts to it. Maybe if you are adding more muscle then you want, do less lifting and more cardio. It is pretty simple when you think about it. It sounds like you know how to eat clean, so do it. And if you aren't losing enough while eating that many calories, cut them back a little until you see the results you want. You aren't doing contest prep, so you only need to worry about how you perceive yourself, and reaching the goals that you set for yourself.

TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheBodyGenie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by crouton View Post
    This is what I am doing - I am focusing on losing weight first then building muscle. I am lifting, but I'm not focusing so much on muscle gains at this point. The reading I've been doing has given me mixed info. One says that newbies / overweight people can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Others say not to mistake strength gains for muscle gains.

I am lifting, though, because when the fat comes off I hope there is some lean muscle that will show through AND muscle will continue to burn calories after the workout where cardio will not do that. I am doing cardio 5-6 days a week, but not 60 minutes worth. I like to mix up the cardio and do different things of different intensity / duration to keep it interesting.

This is a good article that I think everyone should read too:

http://www.stumptuous.com/honesty-is-the-best-policy

And also remember that weight loss is not just about whatever exercise program you choose. It's about diet. You mentioned you don't cook. I do strongly recommend that you learn to cook some simple meals. You can use a slow cooker or an indoor grill machine like a George Foreman grill and make some good, easy meals. You can cook a few chicken breasts ahead of time and have them in the fridge ready to eat. MRP shakes are fine in moderation, but you need to try to get your calories from good, wholesome food as much as possible.

So that is my 2 cents. I'm sure some more experienced people will chime in as well.
    Nice explanation there. one thing I have in mind. Is it true that, fat turns into muscle
    when you work out? Just a question.

transformation started... aussieangie's Avatar
    aussieangie will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussieangie will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussieangie will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussieangie will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussieangie will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussieangie will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussieangie will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussieangie will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussieangie will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussieangie will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussieangie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by adolly147 View Post
    Hey Ironbelle, I think you know more about what you need to do than someone doing a post, because you know exactly how your body responds to workout and diet. I recommend doing both cardio and weights, and change up the ratio of how much of each depending on how your body reacts to it. Maybe if you are adding more muscle then you want, do less lifting and more cardio. It is pretty simple when you think about it. It sounds like you know how to eat clean, so do it. And if you aren't losing enough while eating that many calories, cut them back a little until you see the results you want. You aren't doing contest prep, so you only need to worry about how you perceive yourself, and reaching the goals that you set for yourself.
    I agree. Do weights and cardio afterwards.
    Angie....
    "For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer" - Arnold
    (\__/)
    (=’.’=)
    (”)_(”)
    POINTS TO REMEMBER - If you can't kill it, grow it, or pick it, you probably shouldn't be eating it!!!

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Fat doesn't 'turn' into muscle.

Fat is made of fat cells. Muscle is made of muscle cells.
    Trying to turn one into the other is like trying to turn a cow into a fish. They are different things altogether.

With a good diet/ training program you can LOSE fat AND gain muscle at the same time - giving the illusion of 'changing' one tissue type to the other - but not even steroids can actually make it happen.

lovepink_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lovepink_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lovepink_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lovepink_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lovepink_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lovepink_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lovepink_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lovepink_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lovepink_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lovepink_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lovepink_123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Mmmm...

I think it's a good idea to work on muscle gain for now to assist in the weight-loss process. But start paying attention to what you eat now so when it comes time to cut you have already integrated the good foods into your diet so it will be easier for you.
    Good luck!

.A.E.D. will become famous soon enough. (+50) .A.E.D. will become famous soon enough. (+50) .A.E.D. will become famous soon enough. (+50) .A.E.D. will become famous soon enough. (+50) .A.E.D. will become famous soon enough. (+50) .A.E.D. will become famous soon enough. (+50) .A.E.D. will become famous soon enough. (+50) .A.E.D. will become famous soon enough. (+50) .A.E.D. will become famous soon enough. (+50) .A.E.D. will become famous soon enough. (+50) .A.E.D. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    do both, cardio will get you fit and healthy but lifting weights will let you melt off those pounds. Weights burn more fat then cardo, hence why you see the exact same people on the treadmills and elipticals ALL THE TIME and yet, the look THE EXACT SAME.

this might have been said but i didnt read all the loooooong posts

onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It is great to mix things up and do weight training and cardio... remember muscle burns more calories at rest!!

I lost my job a year ago so I had to cut out things to trim the budget. I was able to renew my membership for 6 months so I've got 6 months to make some progress. Okay. I'm not new to working out BUT I have not worked out regularly in 3 years. I have gained quite a bit of weight from not feeling good about myself and life has thrown me some curves. I'm older now and make a promise to someone that if they got their pro card, I would get in shape. I also think my weight is keeping me from getting hired for some jobs even though I have great qualifications (another story for another day). So, I am going to see if this will help my job situation and work on keeping that promise. I use to workout regularly with weights and do cardio after each session. I really need to lose quite a bit of weight but being the classic endomorph, I gain muscle easily as well as FAT. I am going to the nutrition store and grocery store to get some eggwhites, salsa, protein powder, omega 3 oils, glutamine, fruit, chicken, rice, waterpacked tuna, veggies and skim milk to make my MRP shakes. Shooting for living on 1800-2000 cal/day. That will help me with the diet since I don't cook and need foods that are quick and easy to make. Should I just concentrate on good cardio sessions twice a day to lose the body fat first THEN incorporate weights to build up the muscle mass I have? I am 43, 5'5", weigh over 200 lbs. I have broad shoulders, stocky build and built for strength. The last benchpress I did was 225lb years ago so that gives you an ideal of how strong I use to be. Haven't tried it in years but I think I can do that again after some training. I like to base my progress on whether or not I can fit into my jeans. For now, I'm concerned about dropping bodyfat to fit into my jeans again and after that, then I'll start looking at the scale and think about numbers. I have anxiety about returning to the gym and although I know more than most overweight people, I am having a hard time getting together a routine for reintroducing myself to the gym. I finally want to get that muscular look and I am a woman who is not afraid to put on muscle. Hell, I'm built for it! I was just going to go to the gym and do 60 min of cardio to get back in the swing of things but I think I can do better than that. Sincere input is appreciated.
    Donna
    "be true to yourself and your goals, set them at a level you can reach"

onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    haha cow and a fish, that is my new way of describing this! Normally use milk into vinegar... sugar into salt... a cow and a fish...
    Donna
    "be true to yourself and your goals, set them at a level you can reach"

ladygi19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladygi19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladygi19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladygi19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladygi19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladygi19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladygi19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladygi19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladygi19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladygi19 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ladygi19 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can do both... Diet is the most important factor for you right now though. Lifting weights will improve your metabolism. Cardio will bump up your calorie expenditures for the day. Keep up the good work, don't give up and just know that your goals are achievable if you work for them.
    I am always busy, which is perhaps the chief reason why I am always well.
    ~Elizabeth Cady Stanton

only sane on the outside _tangy's Avatar
    _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10) _tangy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    lift! /two cents

seriously though - at your start point, do what is manageable, sustainable, and ENJOYABLE. i lift because i enjoy it, and that makes it more manageable and sustainable. focus on what makes you feel good and gets the endorphins pumping...and the rest of the process will sort itself out as you progress.
    MORE COWBELL!!

MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do toning light to medium weights then go to medium to bust a platau and stay in that weight range you have to look at muscle as horse power for the engine of your body. Just like a car so medium muscle training is best and as you get closer to your goal kick in high gear with weight training this will help bust off the last few pounds of fat good luck

MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000) MsClickClick is just really nice. (+1000)
    I used to do that alot but now Im enjoying cooking again I just bought me a nice set of pots and pans cant wait to use them

SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Like others have said above the most important thing is to eat at an *honest* deficit if you want to lose fat. Beyond that what you do for exercise can be a little of both cardio (HITT) and lifting and you will lose weight.

mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mellie369 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I can't give you a scientific answer. I can only tell you what worked for me and what is my personal opinon. So here goes...

I think 60 minutes of cardio is 40 minutes too much. I think you can get an excellent cardio workout in with 20 minutes of HIIT. I think you should do cardio first and weights second. I think you should lift, absolutely. More muscle burns more calories throughout the day. To push the fat burning, I'd focus on low weight, high reps for now. Since you say it isn't a struggle for you to build muscle then you can pack on all you want later on. Your diet needs to be controlled - but you seem like you're on the road to that already but it's something that can never be neglected. I don't know anything about counting calories but if I were you, I'd find a good calorie calculator and make sure that 1800-2000 a day (like you want) is going to be the right range for your weight and activity level.

And that's my opinion! I lost 40 lbs last year and double my bench press (from 85 lbs to 170 lbs) in that time too.

Good luck! You can do it!

Libz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Libz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Libz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Libz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Libz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Libz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ABSOLUTELY DO BOTH!!!! Lift as heavy weight as you can first then finish your routine with cardio....WORKS GREAT FOR ME!!! Cardio alone can become boring and mundane,eat CLEAN foods and plenty of protein!!!! Have a good dose of carbs. Because of my build,if i have to lower carb im always tired. Good luck

LPBahamas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The fastest way to loose weight IS TO BUILD MUSCLE..... muscle burns more calories... the more muscle you have the faster your metabolism works... weight training and cardio and lean eating = fast weight loss. teh more muscle you build the faster your FAT loss (not weigth loss)... remember - the scale is nto your friend in the beginning... you may loose inches but not neccessarily a lot of weight... this is because muscle weighs more but takes up less space.

Make sure you are adding weight lifting into your routine.... keep us posted on your progress Set a goal and do it... then set another... and do it.
    LPBahamas
    Go Hard or Go Home

oneyouonelife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Both with a nice clean eating regime