BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Anabolic vs Catabolic

Whats the rate of building muscle vs losing muscle?

Basically at what rate in a cut do you lose muscle vs add muscle in a bulk?

I know you can lose muscle fairly quickly and adding muscle takes time, but how much of a difference is it really?

Xander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Xander is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you are trying to build muscle: Catabolic=bad & Anabolic=good

Its very easy to be in a catabolic state. Just don't eat too often and you'll be in a catabolic state. Catabolic meaning muscle deteriating (or break down). This state is very easy to be in. It is a lot harder to be in an anabolic state (muscle building) due to the challenge of eating so often and getting in quality food at that.
    *Former* Jeep Brah Crew
    ./l ,[___],
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BXlifter View Post
    Whats the rate of building muscle vs losing muscle?

Basically at what rate in a cut do you lose muscle vs add muscle in a bulk?

I know you can lose muscle fairly quickly and adding muscle takes time, but how much of a difference is it really?
    I can't give a quantifiable answer here, but naturally, you're more prone to catabolism than anabolism (for one, muscle is very expensive to hold) - working out itself is quite catabolic, but of course, you try to promote anabolism

That's why as bb'ers we employ strategies to reduce catabolism as best we can.
    My secret?

Acai and the Ab Circle Pro.

But srsly, PM me for any advice

Excessively Jacked Fibarz 206AK's Avatar
    206AK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 206AK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 206AK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 206AK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 206AK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 206AK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 206AK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 206AK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 206AK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 206AK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 206AK has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I read something the other day that I found interesting.

If you gain 1 inch on your arm size in 6 months by weight lifting, it should take 12 months with no exercise for you to lose that inch. Basically go back to your regular arm size with a regular diet and no exercise.

But then comes the question of what If I am a Pro who trained for 10 years, would it take 20 years for me to lose everything?
    There is no easy way out.

[===================]

Intensity Builds Immensity

JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JornT is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by 206AK View Post

If you gain 1 inch on your arm size in 6 months by weight lifting, it should take 12 months with no exercise for you to lose that inch. Basically go back to your regular arm size with a regular diet and no exercise.

But then comes the question of what If I am a Pro who trained for 10 years, would it take 20 years for me to lose everything?
    That rule of losing what you gained in twice the time period in which you gained it is wrong. How fast you lose muscle doesn't run on a clock, but depends on alot different factors. Just some of the top of my head: energy balance, hormonal status, activity (which is muscle specific, think about legs still recieving some stimulation while chest recieving very little in normal life) and how far you are away from you original homeostasis (for example, your should gain your first inch very fast as you make noobie gains, and you should hold on to that inch longer during inactivity than say the inch between 20 and 21 inch).

BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BXlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by 206AK View Post

Actually wouldn't it be the other way? if you lifted for let say 3 years and stop lifting and maintaining your weight, pretty sure you'll lose more of your gains in a year.

Originally Posted by JornT View Post
    That rule of losing what you gained in twice the time period in which you gained it is wrong. How fast you lose muscle doesn't run on a clock, but depends on alot different factors. Just some of the top of my head: energy balance, hormonal status, activity (which is muscle specific, think about legs still recieving some stimulation while chest recieving very little in normal life) and how far you are away from you original homeostasis (for example, your should gain your first inch very fast as you make noobie gains, and you should hold on to that inch longer during inactivity than say the inch between 20 and 21 inch).
    Good post man.

Originally Posted by mrkdrt View Post
    I can't give a quantifiable answer here, but naturally, you're more prone to catabolism than anabolism (for one, muscle is very expensive to hold) - working out itself is quite catabolic, but of course, you try to promote anabolism

That's why as bb'ers we employ strategies to reduce catabolism as best we can.
    Gotcha.

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    If you are trying to build muscle: Catabolic=bad & Anabolic=good

Its very easy to be in a catabolic state. Just don't eat too often and you'll be in a catabolic state. Catabolic meaning muscle deteriating (or break down). This state is very easy to be in. It is a lot harder to be in an anabolic state (muscle building) due to the challenge of eating so often and getting in quality food at that.
    I know the difference, just want to know the rate in which they occur.

mikeyd123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikeyd123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikeyd123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikeyd123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikeyd123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikeyd123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikeyd123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikeyd123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikeyd123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Talking

Originally Posted by JornT View Post
    Lets not forget that as you may lose some size over time that your muscles memory can help you quickly make those gains back faster than it took you to initially get to that point.

Mero1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mero1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mero1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mero1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mero1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mero1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mero1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mero1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mero1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mero1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mero1991 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well mainly as long as you are awake ur like 90% of the time in catabolic state!eating frequently well decrease the catabolic rate.exercising its self is quite catabolic!!exercise just stimulates an anabolic response that will happen during recovery and mainly during sleeping.

IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronTerminator is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Mero1991 View Post
    Well mainly as long as you are awake ur like 90% of the time in catabolic state!eating frequently well decrease the catabolic rate.exercising its self is quite catabolic!!exercise just stimulates an anabolic response that will happen during recovery and mainly during sleeping.
    Meal frequency doesn't really matter, what you eat does.

Muscle4lifeee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Muscle4lifeee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Muscle4lifeee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Muscle4lifeee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Muscle4lifeee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Muscle4lifeee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Muscle4lifeee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Muscle4lifeee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Muscle4lifeee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Muscle4lifeee is on a distinguished road. (+10) Muscle4lifeee is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

When are you in a catabolic & anabolic state? Tell me all you know about this if you can....Thanks!

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Muscle4lifeee View Post
    When are you in a catabolic & anabolic state? Tell me all you know about this if you can....Thanks!
    you are catabolic when you are in a state of breaking down and anabolic when in the state of building. After a meal you are anabolic. During periods of fasting you are catabolic

edit: and yes i know this is a 5 year old thread
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total