MaskedNinja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Right pec muscle bigger than the left

What's up guys, I'm left handed and my left pec is around 50% larger than my right one.What would be a good way to make them symmetrical? I'm currently on my 3rd week of Rippetoe's SS program and I'm wondering if that alone will fix this issue - or should I do extra dumbbell exercises with just my left right arm?

JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    100% gaurentee you this is your problem.

Originally Posted by JOSEF RAKICH View Post
    I USE TO HAVE THIS EXACT PROBLEM WITH MY PECS THEY USE TO BE UN-EVEN. I HAVE NOW FOUND OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS WHICH CAUSED THIS AND I HAVE NOW FIXED MY UN-EVEN PECS AND THEY ARE BOTH SYMETRICAL. I 100% GAURENTEE YOU THIS IS THE REASON YOUR PECS ARE UN-EVEN, FIX THIS AND TI WILL FIX YOUR UN-EVEN PECS. I GAURENTEE YOU.

READ.

You chest is growing uneven NOT because of your routine or because you are using barbell instead of dumbells or because one side is stronger than the other or whatever, the reason your pecs are un-even is because of your FORM. And no it will not even out over time if you keep doing what you are currently doing, if anything it will only get worse.

The reason your chest is uneven is because your form is not identical, when benching you are pushing the bar up on a slight angle, this is due to either your shoulder placing and/or elbow placing.

I 100% gaurentee you this is your problem, get your spotter to watch your form when you bench everything has to be equal, shoulders sitting at the same height, elbow placing at the same as opposite side.

If you are benching and you have one elbow placed higher than the other meaning: (more in-line with your shoulder) and the opposite elbow droped down slightly meaning: (tucked in closer to your side) Then different muscles on opposing sides of your body will be placed under greater stress. (one pectorial muscle being under greater stress than the opposite)

You have to make sure your shoulders and elbow placing are identical at both sides of your body to prevent one pectorial muscle from being placed under more stress than the other, what i suggest is to use the chest press machine and watch your form in the mirror making sure your elbows and shoulders are exctally in the same place, they have to line up equally. Then go back to the free weights when you have identical form and joint placing.

Droping one elbow down more than the opposite elbow will have that side of the chest working more than the opposite side.

Fix your form and it will fix your problem. I 100% gaurentee you this is the reason your chest is un-even.

- Elbow placing
    - Shoulder placing

Bonza is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonza is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonza is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonza is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonza is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonza is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonza is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonza is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonza is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonza is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bonza is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    id recommend doing more so on the lagging pec bro
    also try dumbbells and just focusing on even contractions and mind to muscle.
    really think of "BOTH" pecs being using in the motion. hopefully this helps a little bit

Originally Posted by MaskedNinja View Post
    What's up guys, I'm left handed and my left pec is around 50% larger than my right one.What would be a good way to make them symmetrical? I'm currently on my 3rd week of Rippetoe's SS program and I'm wondering if that alone will fix this issue - or should I do extra dumbbell exercises with just my left right arm?

JSean is on a distinguished road. (+10) JSean is on a distinguished road. (+10) JSean is on a distinguished road. (+10) JSean is on a distinguished road. (+10) JSean is on a distinguished road. (+10) JSean is on a distinguished road. (+10) JSean is on a distinguished road. (+10) JSean is on a distinguished road. (+10) JSean is on a distinguished road. (+10) JSean is on a distinguished road. (+10) JSean is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    why do you let it get to a point where one is 50% bigger then the other? Just do what the other guy said
    "I've never been afraid of another man,
    Cause I can see through
    My heartbeat, his heartbeat,
    My only fear is that he wont kill me
    Cause if he don't, I grab my heat
    More hesitate I'm stoppin' this heartbeat" -Jason Derulo

Originally Posted by JSean View Post
    why do you let it get to a point where one is 50% bigger then the other? Just do what the other guy said
    My pecs were uneven before I started going to the gym.

Originally Posted by JOSEF RAKICH View Post
    100% gaurentee you this is your problem.
    So if I just do Rippetoe and make sure my form is good, my pecs will become symmetric?

GoOrange55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Rakich, I've been dealing with this problem for quite a while now and your answer makes the most sense that i've heard so far. I have been trying to fix my form and am slowly getting it down. My right shoulder dips forward a little more than my left because of a previous shoulder injury. It's obviously not coincidence that my left pec is bigger, clearly as you stated my left pec is gettin more tension than the right. Do you think that because of the dip, I won't ever be able to even out my pecs?

JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MaskedNinja View Post
    So if I just do Rippetoe and make sure my form is good, my pecs will become symmetric?
    Yes with correct form you will be placing both pecs under the same amount of stress resulting in the same amount of muscle fibers being ripped therefore creating a even symetrical hypertrophy response, i had this exact same problem as you but probally much much worse i use tyo get told this alot, i have now evened my pecs out and they are identical now. It was actually my spotting partner who told me im pushing the bar up on an angle, this was because of elbow/shoulder placing. I fixed my form and trained the lagging pec with some 1 arm pec deck and eventually it evened up.