survivorman is on a distinguished road. (+10) survivorman is on a distinguished road. (+10) survivorman is on a distinguished road. (+10) survivorman is on a distinguished road. (+10) survivorman is on a distinguished road. (+10) survivorman is on a distinguished road. (+10) survivorman is on a distinguished road. (+10) survivorman is on a distinguished road. (+10) survivorman is on a distinguished road. (+10) survivorman is on a distinguished road. (+10) survivorman is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Support exercises for compound lifts

Hi,

I want to add a couple of isolation exercises to my compound work out. I am assuming that the additional exercises will be done on the same day?

The ones I am Interested in at the moment are ;

Squat
    Bench Press
    Standing Military Press
    BarBell Row
    Deadlift

I want to add a bit to my routines but the focus will still be the compound exercises ofc.

Thank you.

notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50) notch5507 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    pull ups and push ups are the two best exercises I can think of. I used to do a lot of dips, but they put a lot of strain on my shoulders.

I always do 3 sets of pushups using "power pushup grips" to failure on any day I bench.

Edit my bad: didn't catch you wanted isolation exercises. Leg press or hack squats for quads.( depending on your foot placement for squats - I go more sumo) Standing calf raises. Curls of any type. (I Like standing barbell) Tri push downs.
    Last edited by notch5507; 02-13-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: misread question.

thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by survivorman View Post
    Hi,

I want to add a couple of isolation exercises to my compound work out. I am assuming that the additional exercises will be done on the same day?

Squat
    Bench Press
    Standing Military Press
    BarBell Row
    Deadlift

I want to add a bit to my routines but the focus will still be the compound exercises ofc.

Thank you.
    You said isolation exercises which is the correct approach.Doesnt necessarily HAVE to be isolation lifts.For squats,extra concentrated ab work always compliments squats and how they enable the body to develop the ability to withstand the overall demands of barbell squats.For bench,i would have to say that its actually a pull exercise that would most improve and compliment benchpress ability.That exercise/lift would be heavier and HEAVIER DB Rows from my own experiences.For standing military press you obviously need that extra shoulder ability,stability,and leverage.Lateral raises(front and side),along with heavybag work will naturally improve standing military press ability.

As for barbell row,although i've basically strayed away from them since the mid 90's,i would have to say once again,ab work.Lots of ab work in order to support the extra demands put forth onto the lower lumbar regions.And finally,for deadlifts,obviously you need a strong and well tuned and conditioned back so once again,abs,abs and more abs,but also,in order to really maximize overall potential,you have to factor in maximizing grip strength as well as more and more leg strength to enable success and mastery of the lower portion of the lift.In Going back to grip strength,I would highly recommend incorporating rack holds with weight that is far beyond what you could lift up from the lower portion of the deadlift.Positioning yourself in a power rack,set the rails between 2 inches above knee height and almost belt level height and work diligently from those ranges of motion using the overload principle to further and further develop the grip and forearm muscles.
    *Addicted to swimming during the summer crew.*
    *Despisement of 2nd hand smoke crew.*
    *Bring back the Commodore 64 crew.*
    *Create a new electric car/vehicle thats under 5 grand crew !*
    *I work very hard for very little pay crew. : ( *
    *I am just "Not Of" this stupid selfish world crew.*
    *I feel annoyed and disgusted of people pre-occupied with they're smart-phones crew. : / *
    *I grew up an Ultra Late Bloomer crew.*

Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by survivorman View Post
    Hi,

Squat
    Bench Press
    Standing Military Press
    BarBell Row
    Deadlift

Thank you.
    I would add more compound lifts as well if I wanted to do more. I would add sldl's with squats, incline presses with BP's, some type of lateral raise with Militaries, chins or pulldowns with the rows and Deads.