tankbird has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tankbird has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Tired from working 12 hr shift? Work out or rest?

How do you decide whether to work out or rest when you are tired?

For instance I work 12 hr shifts and am trying to decide whether to stop at gym and do legs/biceps or go on home and rest. It's Wednesday and yesterday before work (0530am) I did back/shoulders.

Just wondering if most people go in and do the work when tired and may not get the quality you want or do you wait until you are rested and know you have full energy. Thoughts?

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by tankbird View Post

For instance I work 12 hr shifts and am trying to decide whether to stop at gym and do legs/biceps or go on home and rest. It's Wednesday and yesterday before work (0530am) I did back/shoulders.

Just wondering if most people go in and do the work when tired and may not get the quality you want or do you wait until you are rested and know you have full energy. Thoughts?
    Honestly it varies. Sometimes just showing up there causes you to try and do a lil something, and you may get a 2nd wind. There are other times when it turns out to be a crap workout and you wonder why you even showed up. This is very individual so try both.

yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000)

Simple answer - being tired is NEVER an excuse.

Even if the w/out turns out to be less than the best - use it as what I like to call a "mental workout".

See the "fatigue" you were feeling as a measure of your mettle. A test of your toughness. What you're willing to do to reach your goals.

Trust me - every time you beat the lethargy blues...or "family commitments"....or "its too late to go" or any other lame excuse - every time you beat that - you're a stronger, more committed, more focussed BB and far less likely to give into the lameness of being......

So tell me....still feeling "too tired"????
    Last edited by yakabebe; 02-10-2010 at 04:35 PM.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154678393

If a guy's working harder than me - doing more than me - he fking well deserves to beat me.

Simple plan.

"Conceive. Believe. Perceive. Achieve", RMW

Slackadjuster is just really nice. (+1000) Slackadjuster is just really nice. (+1000) Slackadjuster is just really nice. (+1000) Slackadjuster is just really nice. (+1000) Slackadjuster is just really nice. (+1000) Slackadjuster is just really nice. (+1000) Slackadjuster is just really nice. (+1000) Slackadjuster is just really nice. (+1000) Slackadjuster is just really nice. (+1000) Slackadjuster is just really nice. (+1000) Slackadjuster is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sometimes time isn't your friend. That being said, I wouldn't skip a workout because I thought I was tired. I work 14hr days.

bikes4u is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bikes4u is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bikes4u is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bikes4u is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bikes4u is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bikes4u is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bikes4u is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bikes4u is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bikes4u is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bikes4u is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bikes4u is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    OP--how many days/week do you work the 12hr/day? I would prob skip the workout but it just depends on how wore out you are at the end of the day.
    ◊–◊–◊–◊-Cut Like Diamonds by June Crew–◊–◊–◊–◊
    Old school workouts, weight lifting. Believer in Iron. Following Arnold's teachings and principles.

=Anxiety Crew=

Must Read: Encyclopedia of Body Building by Arnold. "Bodybuilding is the best sport." Arnold

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    You already made that decision when you decided on the routine that you're currently using. When it's a training day, train.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Korr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

If you waited till you were rested and at full energy then you'd probably only lift once or twice a week. If it's a training day then go train. No excuses. You are never going to get gains if you stay home, because you are too tired.

Simply put, even a bad day at the gym is better than not going at all.
    Last edited by korr20; 02-10-2010 at 04:33 PM.
    -----------------

My workout journal

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168325713

pointreyes will become famous soon enough. (+50) pointreyes will become famous soon enough. (+50) pointreyes will become famous soon enough. (+50) pointreyes will become famous soon enough. (+50) pointreyes will become famous soon enough. (+50) pointreyes will become famous soon enough. (+50) pointreyes will become famous soon enough. (+50) pointreyes will become famous soon enough. (+50) pointreyes will become famous soon enough. (+50) pointreyes will become famous soon enough. (+50) pointreyes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When I'm tired I still do the workout - sometimes it's not the best and other times I'm shocked with the success. Endurance is part of the battle with the iron and being tired is a way to prove to yourself that you can still manipulate that iron in proper form and that your body must adapt.

Quitting is not an option thepainter5's Avatar
    thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by yakabebe View Post
    Simple answer - being tired is NEVER an excuse.

Even if the w/out turns out to be less than the best - use it as what I like to call a "mental workout".

See the "fatigue" you were feeling as a measure of your mettle. A test of your toughness. What you're willing to do to reach your goals.

Trust me - every time you beat the lethargy blues...or "family commitments"....or "its too late to go" or any other lame excuse - every time you beat that - you're a stronger, more committed, more focussed BB and far less likely to give into the lameness of being......

So tell me....still feeling "too tired"????
    I have to agree with this, whole heartedly.

yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by thepainter5 View Post
    I have to agree with this, whole heartedly.
    Have to say - having thought about it a while - in fact - the ONLY reason I would never miss a train is due to "feeling tired".

I mean...really...when ya think of it - it is precisely that

*temptation to quit,
    *to not give it your all,
    *to take a shortcut,
    *to convince yourself it aint all that important
    *who's gonna know

that rears its ugly head at the end of EVERY SET that you do. When that last rep demands you DO IT - how tempting is it to say "Nah....aint got enough energy".

F$%ck that----challenge yourself - fail if you must but for pete's sake....at least go down swingin'!!!!

If a guy's working harder than me - doing more than me - he fking well deserves to beat me.

Simple plan.

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    You already made that decision when you decided on the routine that you're currently using. When it's a training day, train.
    That pretty much sums it up.

I never miss a workout because I'm "tired". Get in their and start lifting and you wont be tired anymore. I've had some of my best workouts when I wasn't feeling that great before I got to the gym.

I am lucky enough to have an office job (thanks to going back to school at age 27 for 14 years) but when I first started training in my early twenties I lifted boxes for a living. I would lift boxes from 7am to 3pm every day, then go home and shower and go to they gym.

There were lots of days I didn't feel like lifting any more, but I went anyway.

That being said I didn't work 12 hour shifts. But how strenuous is your job? And what are you eating to get through the shift? I ate nonstop. I brought a personal cooler to work with me every day filled with tuna, pasta, egg whites, chick peas, chicken, pasta, yogurt, etc.).

-=FLEX=-
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

Quitting is not an option thepainter5's Avatar
    thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Have to say - having thought about it a while - in fact - the ONLY reason I would never miss a train is due to "feeling tired".

I mean...really...when ya think of it - it is precisely that

*temptation to quit,
    *to take a shortcut,
    *who's gonna know

that rears its ugly head at the end of EVERY SET that you do. When that last rep demands you DO IT - how tempting is it to say "Nah....aint got enough energy".

F$%ck that----challenge yourself - fail if you must but for pete's sake....at least go down swingin'!!!!
    It is your last line that shows a man's mettle and makes the difference between a winner and a champion.

muffd is on a distinguished road. (+10) muffd is on a distinguished road. (+10) muffd is on a distinguished road. (+10) muffd is on a distinguished road. (+10) muffd is on a distinguished road. (+10) muffd is on a distinguished road. (+10) muffd is on a distinguished road. (+10) muffd is on a distinguished road. (+10) muffd is on a distinguished road. (+10) muffd is on a distinguished road. (+10) muffd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I agree with the majority of the folks here. Even when I'm tired, I'll at least try to work out. Luckily now though, I don't have to worry about going to a gym since i have some workout equipment at home. If i ever do miss a morning workout though, I have a fitness center at work I can go to during the lunch hour.

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've trained after being awake for over 30 hours more than a few times and had good workouts. Being tired is never an excuse. I'm tired almost every day. Get in there, have a good meal after, then hit the sack. You'll be a better man for it.
    "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm." -Iggy and The Stooges

The Cake Is A Lie! StressMonkey's Avatar
    StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    *temptation to quit,
    *to take a shortcut,
    *who's gonna know
    When I don't have much sleep and I have a grueling day at work I definitely start having those thoughts about the trip to the gym that looms later that night. I never listen to them and I always feel great when I leave the gym. It kind of amazes me that I still have thoughts like that. You would think that I wouldn't anymore but that's not how it works with me.
    There will come a day when I tire of listening to 80's music. That day is not today.

I Really Miss The Old BodySpace

-O35 5'8" Crew- -Karl_Hungus Crew-

Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gjudas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I know how you feel. I worked eight hours today, went home and ate hung out with the wife and kids for a min, went to the gym and distroyed my legs got back home changed and am right here at work again for a few more hours. Whenever I feel that I am to tierd to to get my session in I just Remember....... I'll get plenty of rest when I'm dead, just sayin.

Originally Posted by Gjudas View Post
    I know how you feel. I worked eight hours today, went home and ate hung out with the wife and kids for a min, went to the gym and distroyed my legs got back home changed and am right here at work again for a few more hours. Whenever I feel that I am to tierd to to get my session in I just Remember....... I'll get plenty of rest when I'm dead, just sayin.
    That paradox right there - that "I'm too tired" and "I'll do it anyway" resulting tin not a collapse but an energizing reaction.

Exercise can absolutely give you energy - not the other way round

Simple plan.

bigt405 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigt405 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigt405 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigt405 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigt405 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigt405 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigt405 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigt405 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigt405 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigt405 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigt405 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have worked twelve hour shifts for almost twenty years now and I can honestly tell you "Go to the gym!". Some of my best workouts have come off a twelve hour midnight shift when I thought the workout would suck. If it is a planned workout day go and do the best you can somedays the workouts will be good and somedays they will be what I call maintain days but at least you go and stay on schedule.
    Truth is heavy, so few men carry it.

badrooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) badrooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) badrooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) badrooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) badrooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) badrooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) badrooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) badrooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) badrooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) badrooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) badrooster will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Simply put, there are "NO EXCUSES" not to train!
    Get big or die trying !................Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do. - Confucius

tankbird has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tankbird has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    It is the next morning. Thanks for the input. I agree with all of what is said. It just helps to hear it from other people.

I worked legs and biceps. Had a pretty good workout. Maybe below what I would like but pretty good.

My thinking is also any workout is better than no workout. My workout days are flexible is the reason it isn't necessarily a training day. I have a fluid schedule and get each bodypart at least once and some weeks twice per week.

Half the fun is making yourself do what you would rather not do and the satisfaction of having the discipline and mental toughness to get it done. Consistently.

dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i worked 12 hour night and day shifts on a 4 x 4 for a few years (around 15 years ago). its a tough shift i could never get use to but i never used being tired as an excuse not to train if i was scheduled to. sometimes it was though especially on night shift. like i said, it was many years ago and i probably over trained a lot. who knows what i would do now. i would ask myself, why am i tired, from work? from working out? both? if i was just tired from work i would go. i guess if i had at least 2 muscle groups sore and i was tired i may take a day off to recover. i guess this is another case of “listen to your body”.

ckbputt3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ckbputt3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ckbputt3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ckbputt3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ckbputt3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ckbputt3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ckbputt3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ckbputt3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ckbputt3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ckbputt3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I'm tired...which is every freakin day....I drive for a large LTL trucking company and usually do 14 to 16 hours a day four days a week with a short night on the dock. My workouts revolve around the weekend which is when I usually eat more anyways.....

My point for responding is....I use supplementation for my pre-workout tiredness...usually workout 1 hour after getting up....2 oz of special k protein plus with 6 oz fat free milk and a banana.....AND...here goes.....was using superpump250....now I am using anabolic rush by ast for my deficient energy needs.....all is good.....my workouts are 90 minutes and 20 minutes of intervals on the tread mill......energize.....you could use a couple of "stay awakes" from wal-mart or a big cup of coffee....at our age ya need that little extra.