Thread: Tuna Salad?

Dths is just really nice. (+1000) Dths is just really nice. (+1000) Dths is just really nice. (+1000) Dths is just really nice. (+1000) Dths is just really nice. (+1000) Dths is just really nice. (+1000) Dths is just really nice. (+1000) Dths is just really nice. (+1000) Dths is just really nice. (+1000) Dths is just really nice. (+1000) Dths is just really nice. (+1000)

Tuna Salad?

I've been somewhat self trained to see mayo as bad but after actually looking at it today while diving into my store of canned tuna it doesn't seem unhealthy when used in moderation.

Is this true? can I get away with using it to make tuna salad while retaining a healthy meal?

*edit*

1 can tuna
    1/2 table spoon mayo
    some onion
    pepper.

bejetah will become famous soon enough. (+50) bejetah will become famous soon enough. (+50) bejetah will become famous soon enough. (+50) bejetah will become famous soon enough. (+50) bejetah will become famous soon enough. (+50) bejetah will become famous soon enough. (+50) bejetah will become famous soon enough. (+50) bejetah will become famous soon enough. (+50) bejetah will become famous soon enough. (+50) bejetah will become famous soon enough. (+50) bejetah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    try low fat cream cheese or sour cream, or u can make ur own mayo using olive oil, and there u have a great serving of good fats =)

DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    They make fat free mayonnaise, too, and a full tablespoon of it will not hurt you at all. Though you should still count the calories.

I make a "tuna salad" with a can of tuna, a tablespoon of fat free mayo, a dollop of walden farms 0-cal honey bbq sauce, and iceberg lettuce.

fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DirtyRobot View Post
    They make fat free mayonnaise, too, and a full tablespoon of it will not hurt you at all. Though you should still count the calories.
    Stupid. Buying fat free mayo is like buying reduced fat peanut butter. You're removing the important part of the food and replacing it with some sort of filler.

Originally Posted by Dths View Post
    I've been somewhat self trained to see mayo as bad but after actually looking at it today while diving into my store of canned tuna it doesn't seem unhealthy when used in moderation.

Is this true? can I get away with using it to make tuna salad while retaining a healthy meal?

*edit*

1 can tuna
    1/2 table spoon mayo
    some onion
    pepper.
    Mayonnaise is NOT unhealthy. The two main ingredients are oil and egg, both of which are good for you. Mayo is one of the best sources of polyunsaturated fat. Most fat sources (olive oil, peanut butter, etc) have plenty of monounsaturated but fall short on polyunsaturated. Poly is deemed the better of the two because it helps lower bad cholesterol without lowering the good cholesterol with it.

If you're trying to cut down on mayo due to calories, try using half as much mayo and some yellow mustard. It adds moisture and some tangyness.

DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10) DirtyRobot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by fyre500 View Post
    Stupid. Buying fat free mayo is like buying reduced fat peanut butter. You're removing the important part of the food and replacing it with some sort of filler.
    Except that the fat free stuff cuts out over 70% of the calories and can be a lot easier to fit into one's macros. I'm not saying the regular stuff is bad for you or that it's evil, but the fat-free stuff can be useful if you're, you know, trying to cut calories and fat from your diet, but you also want tuna that isn't dry and bland. You don't like the taste of fat free mayo. I don't like the taste of mustard (especially in my tuna).

fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fyre500 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well, that's a personal choice, but keep in mind that you're swapping out a quality food item for something with garbage fillers. Check out the ingredients sometime. Look at the list for regular mayo and the list for light or fat free mayo. The same goes for peanut butter. It's amazing the amount of ingredients.

That's true and fair enough. But I would say one tbsp that has a few extra crap ingredients won't kill you, though I guess you could make a slippery slope argument or something.