Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

I have lost 30 pounds of body weight in 50 days

Hi, I'm 5'8'', i weighed 211 lbs in december 15, now i am 181 lbs.

my diet is:

morning: 1 handful of walnuts, almonds, raisins
    lunch: 100 gr meat, broccoli, lettuce, carrots, celery salad, low fat yogurt
    snack: 1 apple
    dinner: any dish, but small serving
    after dinner: 1 kiwi or orange, some walnuts, almonds, 1 dried fig

i followed a low carb diet, like 80 gr carbs every day, moderate fat, moderate protein

after dinners, i go to gym and do a high intensity interval training:

i walk at 5 mph for 10 mins, then
    30 secs running at 12 mph,
    90 secs walking at 5mph,
    and i repeat it 8 times,
    10 mins of walking at 4 mph to cool off..

also i run up stairs at work in an explosive manner, 10 floors in 2 minutes. i do it like 4 times a day.

i followed this procedure for around 2 months, and i feel great, i have never felt tired, fatigued or weak.

also i noticed that as i run up stairs, and sprinted in the gym, i've lost lots of fat on legs, now it makes me think SPOT REDUCTION is not a myth... my legs are now toned and leaner. but i still have some fat on stomach and chest area...

DarkDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarkDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarkDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarkDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarkDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarkDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarkDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarkDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarkDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarkDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarkDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Congrats on all your loss man i've been lifting weights and doing some cardio. Heaviest 230 i currently bounce between 203-207 i want to get into mid-180's and just tone down

Im watching what i eat pretty well but dont count calories and what no... I'm gonna stop eating bread completely for a while and see if that help me break 200 asap!

Anyways your repped for hard work!!!

HI_KKM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HI_KKM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HI_KKM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HI_KKM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HI_KKM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HI_KKM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HI_KKM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HI_KKM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HI_KKM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HI_KKM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HI_KKM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ihateprotein View Post
    also i noticed that as i run up stairs, and sprinted in the gym, i've lost lots of fat on legs, now it makes me think SPOT REDUCTION is not a myth... my legs are now toned and leaner. but i still have some fat on stomach and chest area...
    facepalm.jpg
    Misc Med Crew

csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You are down 30 lbs and your legs are leaner => spot reduction?

Seems kind of a stretch.

dev3l has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dev3l has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dev3l has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dev3l has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dev3l has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dev3l has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dev3l has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dev3l has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dev3l has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dev3l has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dev3l has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    goodbye muscles

ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ihateprotein has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i dont really care about muscle loss at this point. because as i drop body weight, it will be easier for me to add lean muscle mass, with the intake of fewer calories.

illiniguy09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) illiniguy09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) illiniguy09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) illiniguy09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i dont really care about muscle loss at this point. because as i drop body weight, it will be easier for me to add lean muscle mass, with the intake of fewer calories.
    love the username. [sarc]muscle sucks. just try to lose as much body weight as possible.[/sarc]

bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000)
    Could you elaborate on this? Adding lean muscle mass is never easy. Why not preserve as much of it as possible on the way down?

Originally Posted by dev3l View Post
    goodbye muscles
    Originally Posted by bfactor View Post
    Could you elaborate on this? Adding lean muscle mass is never easy. Why not preserve as much of it as possible on the way down?
    when you are 220 lbs, you have to take in more calories to add muscle compared to your 170 lbs form. plus, when your body fat levels drop, aromatization of testosterone to estrogen diminishes. it means when you are leaner, you will have more testostrone, therefore it will be alot more easier to add muscle.

i forgot to say, i drank 2 cups of green tea every day. i still do.

bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000) bfactor is just really nice. (+1000)
    All that's fine, but try not to overcomplicate things. Good luck!

koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000)
    aromatization of testosterone to estrogen diminishes.
    mind = blown

Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50) Il_Dago will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    "You show me someone who got fat eating fruit and I'll show you someone with a deep fryer and too much time on their hands."

Y.K.K.M.M.F.

I'll add that whatever long winded mumbo-jumbo justification you use, you still didn't answer the question of why you wouldn't want to maintain your muscle as you lose weight. If, as you say, it's easier to add LBM at lower bodyweights, it still requires effort that could have been avoided.

ChampX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChampX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChampX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChampX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChampX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChampX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChampX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChampX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChampX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChampX is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChampX is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    In before skinny fat

I'll add that whatever long winded mumbo-jumbo justification you use, you still didn't answer the question of why you wouldn't want to maintain your muscle as you lose weight. If, as you say, it's easier to add LBM at lower bodyweights, it still requires effort that could have been avoided.

i wouldn't want to maintain my muscle as i lose weight, because it is alot more easier to lose fat when you dont care about muscle loss. if you want to maintain your muscle mass, you need weight training and protein rich diet, which takes effort and time. with my diet, which is low carb, moderate fat, moderate protein, i can lose fat easily, without having the need to prepare protein rich meals.

once again, if you try to add muscle when you have high amounts of body fat, you will add extra fat, have a look:

1-before bulking up: 220 lbs, 30% body fat: 66 lbs body fat
    my target is 12% body fat at my desired weight (172 lbs), which means: 20 lbs body fat

2-if i bulk up with my 220 lbs overweight form, i will be like 250 lbs in 5 months, and my body fat will be more like 70 lbs or more

3-and when cutting, it will be a hell of a lot torture to lose over 70-20= 50 lbs of fat, while maintaining muscle mass

BUT:

4-if i lose all the extra fat before bulking, i mean if i drop to 157 lbs of bodyweight, and to 14% body fat (22 lbs fat mass), and if i follow a very clean diet, i can bulk up to 177 lbs and 18% body fat (32 lbs fat mass) along with minimizing the fat gain by watching what i eat, my body fat will be like 18%. and i will have to lose around only 32-20 = 12 lbs of fat, which is a reasonable amount when cutting.

i tried to explain it as simple and plain as possible. i hope this explanation helped you with your question.

Originally Posted by koatliki View Post
    mind = blown
    Originally Posted by Il_Dago View Post
    troll

before minds of you two get blown, please read these scientific articles quoted below:

The influence of aromatization of testosterone occurring in adipose tissue has been studied in castrated obese male rats. The treatment for 30 days with a subliminal dose (115 micrograms/kg per day) of testosterone propionate improved significantly the sexual performance of castrated obese male rats as compared to the nonobese controls. Untreated castrated obese animals did not show any enhancement of sexual behavior. Furthermore, obesity failed to improve sexual performance in intact male rats. Measurements of plasma levels of testosterone and 17 beta-estradiol showed an increase in aromatization of testosterone in obese rats. Present data suggest that adipose tissue can be considered an important site for aromatization of testosterone to 17 beta-estradiol, and that aromatization is involved in the activation of sexual behavior in castrated male rats.
    1. F Drago,
    2. L Lo Presti,
    3. F Nardo,
    4. I Panella,
    5. M Matera and
    6. U Scapagnini
    doi: 10.1095/​ biolreprod27.4.765 Biology of Reproduction November 1, 1982 vol. 27 no. 4 765-770

Aromatase is important in men's health, obesity, the metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes and aging. In males with increasing obesity there is increased aromatase activity, which irreversibly converts testosterone to estradiol resulting in decreased testosterone and elevated estrogen levels.
    Med Hypotheses. 2008;70(2):358-60. Epub 2007 Sep 6.
    Obesity in men: the hypogonadal-estrogen receptor relationship and its effect on glucose homeostasis.

Cohen PG.

A number of studies have reported on altered sex hormone levels
    in overweight and obese men. In general, testosterone, SHB G
    and inhibin B levels all decrease with obesity, whereas oestradiol
    levels tend to increase.12,19 As a consequence, the
    testosteroneestradiol ratio falls in overweight/obese men.15,26 In
    spite of the drop in SHBG levels, Zumoff et al. reported a negative
    correlation between free testosterone and high BMI.26 Most
    researchers in this field have reported decreased levels of total
    testosterone, free testosterone, and SHBG,27,28 but normal or low
    levels of FSH and luteinising hormone in the serum of obese
    men.12,19

Review: Male obesity and reproductive potential
    A. Ghiyath Shayeb and Siladitya Bhattacharya
    British Journal of Diabetes & Vascular Disease 2009; 9; 7
    DOI: 10.1177/1474651408101281

To study the ability of weight loss to reverse the hyperestrogenemia-induced hypogonadotropic hypogonadism that occurs in obese men, we measured the 24-h mean plasma free and total estradiol (E2), total estrone, FSH, LH, and free and total testosterone concentrations in 11 healthy obese men (100–305% above desirable body weight) and again 5–39 months later after weight loss of 26–129 kg and restabilization at the new weight. Weight loss produced significant increases in mean plasma total testosterone [240 ?116 (?SD, 8.5 ? 4.0) to 377 ? 113 ng/dL (13.0 ? 4.0 nmol/L); P < 0.01], free testosterone [9.5 ? 5.0 (329 ? 173) to 13.4 ? 4.3 ng/dL (464 ? 149 pmol/L); P < 0.025], and FSH (6.5 ? 4.7 to 10.9 ? 8.5 IU/L; P < 0.025).

Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism Vol. 66, No. 5 1019-1023
    doi:10.1210/jcem-66-5-1019
    Copyright ? 1988 by the Endocrine Society.

Effect of Massive Weight Loss on Hypothalamic Pituitary-Gonadal Function in Obese Men*
    GLADYS W. STRAIN, BARNETT ZUMOFF, LORRAINE K. MILLER, WILLIAM ROSNER, CHARLES LEVIT, MARCIA KALIN, RICHARD J. HERSHCOPF and ROBERT S. ROSENFELD
    Adipose tissue contains aromatase, the enzyme responsible
    for converting testosterone to estradiol, and in men adipose
    tissue mass and estradiol levels are positively correlated
    (29, 30).
    Maternal Endotoxemia Results in Obesity and Insulin
    Resistance in Adult Male Offspring*
    CECILIA NILSSON, BRITT-MARI LARSSON, EVA JENNISCHE, ELIAS ERIKSSON,
    PER BJO¨ RNTORP, DAVID A. YORK, AND AGNETA HOLMA¨NG
    0013-7227/01/$03.00/0 Vol. 142, No. 6
    Endocrinology Printed in U.S.A.
    Copyright © 2001 by The Endocrine Society

Massive obesity in males is associated with decreased total and free testosterone levels as well as elevated estradiol levels. The decrease in testosterone occurs without the compensatory increases in gonadotropin and a progressive hypogonadotropic hypogonadal cycle develops. During the hypogonadal state, there is a preferential deposition of abdominal adipose tissue. With the increasing fatty-tissue accumulation, there is an increase of aromatase activity that is associated with a greater conversion of testosterone to estradiol (testosterone-estradiol shunt). This results in further depression of testosterone concentrations and leads to the increased preferential deposition of abdominal fat that, in turn, leads to a progressive hypogonadal state.
    Med Hypotheses. 1999 Jan;52(1):49-51.
    The hypogonadal-obesity cycle: role of aromatase in modulating the testosterone-estradiol shunt--a major factor in the genesis of morbid obesity.

Cohen PG.
    In conclusion, 5{alpha}-DHT inactivation was detected in abdominal adipose tissue in men, and higher Om adipose tissue 3{alpha}/?ƒƒƒŸ-HSD activity was found in obese men. The expression of several enzymes involved in local androgen metabolism was also detected, with AKR1C1, AKR1C2, and AKR1C3 having especially high expression levels and large depot-differences compared with other enzymes measured. Higher 5{alpha}-DHT inactivation was found in mature adipocytes compared with preadipocytes, and 5{alpha}-DHT inactivation rates were higher in Om fat from obese men.

J Endocrinol. 2006 Dec;191(3):637-49.
    Androgen inactivation and steroid-converting enzyme expression in abdominal adipose tissue in men.
    Blouin K, Richard C, Brochu G, Hould FS, Lebel S, Marceau S, Biron S, Luu-The V, Tchernof A.

The present article summarizes some of the studies available on steroid hormone conversion through the specific expression of steroidogenic enzymes in adipose tissue (adipose tissue intracrinology) and discusses the potential impact of local adipose tissue steroid metabolism on the regulation of adipocyte function and other metabolic parameters. Several studies have demonstrated significant steroid hormone uptake and conversion by adipose tissues from various body sites and in various cell fractions. Activities and/or mRNAs of aromatase, 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (HSD), 3alpha-HSD, 11beta-HSD, 17beta-HSD, 7alpha-hydroxylase, 17alpha-hydroxylase, 5alpha-reductase and UDP-glucuronosyltransferase 2B15 have been detected in adipose tissue or adipose cells.

Horm Metab Res. 2002 Nov-Dec;34(11-12):737-45.
    Adipose tissue intracrinology: potential importance of local androgen/estrogen metabolism in the regulation of adiposity.
    Bélanger C, Luu-The V, Dupont P, Tchernof A.

Molecular Endocrinology and Oncology Research Center, Quebec, Canada.

CONCLUSIONS: Visceral adipose tissues correlate independently with bioavailable and free testosterone in young men. The inverse relationship between total testosterone and sc adipose tissue seems to be accounted for by variations in SHBG. The reference intervals for total testosterone, bioavailable testosterone, free testosterone, and DHT are displaced toward lower limits in obese men.
    Both visceral adipose tissue and sc adipose tissue correlated inversely with total testosterone and DHT.

J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007 Jul;92(7):2696-705. Epub 2007 Apr 10.
    Visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue assessed by magnetic resonance imaging in relation to circulating androgens, sex hormone-binding globulin, and luteinizing hormone in young men.
    Nielsen TL, Hagen C, Wraae K, Brixen K, Petersen PH, Haug E, Larsen R, Andersen M.

Our results shows that in a sample of men, Tt and SHBG concentrations proportionally diminished with both the increase of BMI and insulin resistance index.

Arch Androl. 2006 Sep-Oct;52(5):355-61.
    Relationship between BMI, total testosterone, sex hormone-binding-globulin, leptin, insulin and insulin resistance in obese men.
    Osuna JA, Gómez-Pérez R, Arata-Bellabarba G, Villaroel V.

Sucrose-fed rats (1) had higher intra-abdominal fat mass and plasma non-esterified fatty acids and lower testosterone levels, (2) were hypertensive, and (3) had lower plasma NO metabolites than controls.

Clin Exp Hypertens. 2006 Nov;28(8):669-81.
    Effect of sex hormones on non-esterified fatty acids, intra-abdominal fat accumulation, and hypertension induced by sucrose diet in male rats.
    El Hafidi M, Pérez I, Carrillo S, Cardoso G, Zamora J, Chavira R, Baños G.

It has been shown that several hormones, growth factors and cytokines are actually expressed in white adipose tissue. In a dynamic view of the adipocyte a wide range of signals emanates from white adipose tissue such as tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), interleukin-6 (IL-6), and their respective soluble receptors. White adipose tissue also secretes important regulators of lipoprotein metabolism like lipoprotein lipase (LPL), apolipoprotein E (apoE) and cholesteryl ester transfer protein (CETP). The increasing number of products secreted by adipocytes also includes leptin, estrogen, angiotensinogen, plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1), tissue factor and transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta).

Curr Med Chem Cardiovasc Hematol Agents. 2004 Jul;2(3):197-208.
    The adipose tissue as a source of vasoactive factors.
    Frühbeck G.

Department of Endocrinology, Clinica Universitaria de Navarra and Metabolic Research Laboratory, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
    Last edited by ihateprotein; 02-13-2010 at 02:43 AM.

karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    ^^^^ that's a fantastic information about testosterone and body fat relation! repped for the research!
    Last edited by karewire; 02-15-2010 at 01:55 PM.

kubanito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kubanito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kubanito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kubanito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kubanito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kubanito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kubanito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kubanito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kubanito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kubanito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kubanito has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    good job , congratulation man.

GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dev3l View Post
    goodbye muscles
    +1

I can't believe you think adding lean muscle mass is easy. No offense but what the hell are you smoking?

i forgot to say, i drank 2 cups of green tea every day. i still do.
    That did you a world of good I'm sure!

Originally Posted by karewire View Post
    ^^^^ that's a fantastic information about testosterone and body fat relation! repped for the research!
    LOL. You can't rep, you're all red.

I also like your nick and the subject of this tread. You are very conscious about this whole weight vs. fat loss yet you're still proud of it. It just does not add up for me. I have lost 25 lbs in 50 days and it was all fat. Since then I'm down 47 lbs total and all but 3lbs was fat. You're right it takes effort, strength exercise and protein rich food to do it but what do you think it will take to build muscle once you get down to skinny fat? The same damn thing.
    Last edited by GregTR; 02-15-2010 at 05:46 PM.
    www.gregstransformation.com - follow my journey

csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by GregTR View Post
    I can't believe you think adding lean muscle mass is easy. No offense but what the hell are you smoking?

You're right it takes effort, strength exercise and protein rich food to do it but what do you think it will take to build muscle once you get down to skinny fat? The same damn thing.
    I wish adding lean muscle was easy, but the fact is it's not for most people, especially for those on the upside of their early 20's. Whether or not your testosterone levels are higher when you get leaner, you'd have been better off lifting a couple times a week and eating more protein from the get go. And it is less work/volume exercising to keep muscle than lifting for mass gains.

Once you get lean your test levels won't suddenly turn supraphysiological.

+1

That did you a world of good I'm sure!

LOL. You can't rep, you're all red.

I also like your nick and the subject of this tread. You are very conscious about this whole weight vs. fat loss yet you're still proud of it. It just does not add up for me. I have lost 25 lbs in 50 days and it was all fat. Since then I'm down 47 lbs total and all but 3lbs was fat. You're right it takes effort, strength exercise and protein rich food to do it but what do you think it will take to build muscle once you get down to skinny fat? The same damn thing.
    i will not be skinny fat, because im doing lots of cardio exercises. people who become "skinny fat" are the ones who cut what they eat, but dont do cardio exercises or weight training, therefore slowing down their metabolisms, and lowering their bodies' performance and ability to burn fat, because they are weak.

it's true that i may lose muscle faster than fat, but in the end i will lose those remaining fat too. when i drop to 157 lbs, my body fat percantage will be low. i mean i will not be skinny fat. i will be only skinny. i do lots of cardio exercise, which means utilizating oxygen to burn fat. im doing high intensity interval training, which enhances VO2 max and which also increases the number of mitochondrias, which play a role in fat oxidation:

High-intensity aerobic interval training increases fat and carbohydrate metabolic capacities in human skeletal muscle.

Christopher G R Perry; George J F Heigenhauser; Arend Bonen; Lawrence L Spriet
    Title: Applied physiology, nutrition, and metabolism = Physiologie appliqu?e, nutrition et m?tabolisme Volume: 33 ISSN: 1715-5312 ISO Abbreviation: - Publication Date: 2008 Dec

This study demonstrated that 18 h of repeated high-intensity exercise sessions over 6 weeks (3 d.week-1) is a powerful method to increase whole-body and skeletal muscle capacities to oxidize fat and carbohydrate in previously untrained individuals.
    Two weeks of high-intensity aerobic interval training increases the capacity for fat oxidation during exercise in women
    Jason L. Talanian,1 Stuart D. R. Galloway,2 George J. F. Heigenhauser,3 Arend Bonen,1 and Lawrence L. Spriet1

1Department of Human Health and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada, 2Department of Sport Studies, University of Stirling, Stirling, Scotland; and 3Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Submitted 26 September 2006 ; accepted in final form 7 December 2006

Our aim was to examine the effects of seven high-intensity aerobic interval training (HIIT) sessions over 2 wk on skeletal muscle fuel content, mitochondrial enzyme activities, fatty acid transport proteins, peak O2 consumption (VO2 peak), and whole body metabolic, hormonal, and cardiovascular responses to exercise. Eight women (22.1 ? 0.2 yr old, 65.0 ? 2.2 kg body wt, 2.36 ? 0.24 l/min VO2 peak) performed a VO2 peak test and a 60-min cycling trial at ~60% VO2 peak before and after training. Each session consisted of ten 4-min bouts at ~90% VO2 peak with 2 min of rest between intervals. Training increased VO2 peak by 13%. After HIIT, plasma epinephrine and heart rate were lower during the final 30 min of the 60-min cycling trial at ~60% pretraining VO2 peak. Exercise whole body fat oxidation increased by 36% (from 15.0 ? 2.4 to 20.4 ? 2.5 g) after HIIT. Resting muscle glycogen and triacylglycerol contents were unaffected by HIIT, but net glycogen use was reduced during the posttraining 60-min cycling trial. HIIT significantly increased muscle mitochondrial beta-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase (15.44 ? 1.57 and 20.35 ? 1.40 mmol?min?1?kg wet mass?1 before and after training, respectively) and citrate synthase (24.45 ? 1.89 and 29.31 ? 1.64 mmol?min?1?kg wet mass?1 before and after training, respectively) maximal activities by 32% and 20%, while cytoplasmic hormone-sensitive lipase protein content was not significantly increased. Total muscle plasma membrane fatty acid-binding protein content increased significantly (25%), whereas fatty acid translocase/CD36 content was unaffected after HIIT. In summary, seven sessions of HIIT over 2 wk induced marked increases in whole body and skeletal muscle capacity for fatty acid oxidation during exercise in moderately active women.
    A practical model of low-volume high-intensity interval training induces mitochondrial biogenesis in human skeletal muscle: potential mechanisms

1. Jonathan P Little1,
    2. Adeel S Safdar1,
    3. Geoffrey P Wilkin1,
    4. Mark A Tarnopolsky2 and
    5. Martin J Gibala1,3

This study demonstrates that a practical model of low volume HIT is a potent stimulus for increasing skeletal muscle mitochondrial capacity and improving exercise performance. The results also suggest that increases in SIRT1, nuclear PGC-1α, and Tfam may be involved in coordinating mitochondrial adaptations in response to HIT in human skeletal muscle.

also, i would like to tell you that green tea helped me losing lots of fat in 50 days;

Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2009 Sep 7:1-9. [Epub ahead of print]
    A novel green tea meal replacement formula for weight loss among obese individuals: a randomized controlled clinical trial.

Tsai CH, Chiu WC, Yang NC, Ouyang CM, Yen YH.

Department of BioIndustry Technology, DaYeh University, Changhua, R.O.C, Taiwan.

Objective To assess the efficacy and safety of a green tea meal replacement formula product for the treatment of obesity. Design A 12-week clinical trial was performed, in which 120 (25 male, 95 female) healthy, overweight and obese persons were included (each of them occupy one-third of the whole population). The green tea formula was provided in the treatment group and normal diet was provided as control. Results More weight loss was found in the treatment group than the control (6.8 versus 2.3 kg; P <0.001). Also, the treatment group had a greater changes in total cholesterol (185.2 versus 215.2 mg/dl; P=0.011) and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (106.7 versus 127.6 mg/dl; P<0.005). Among completers only, the treatment group again lost more weight (6.8 kg; n=54 versus 0.8 kg; n=56; P =0.001) and had a greater reduced total body fat mass (7.6%; n=37 versus 0.5%; P=0.005). Conclusions This green tea meal replacement formula contributes to the lower body weight and reduced low-density lipoprotein cholesterol level.

Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007 Jun;15(6):1473-83.
    A green tea extract high in catechins reduces body fat and cardiovascular risks in humans.

Nagao T, Hase T, Tokimitsu I.

Health Care Food Research Laboratories, Kao Corporation, 2-1-3, Bunka, Sumida-ku, Tokyo, 131-8501, Japan. nagao.tomonori@kao.co.jp

OBJECTIVE: The body fat reducing effect and reduction of risks for cardiovascular disease by a green tea extract (GTE) high in catechins was investigated in humans with typical lifestyles. RESEARCH METHODS AND PROCEDURES: Japanese women and men with visceral fat-type obesity were recruited for the trial. After a 2-week diet run-in period, a 12-week double-blind parallel multicenter trial was performed, in which the subjects ingested green tea containing 583 mg of catechins (catechin group) or 96 mg of catechins (control group) per day. Randomization was stratified by gender and body mass index at each medical institution. The subjects were instructed to maintain their usual dietary intake and normal physical activity. RESULTS: Data were analyzed using per-protocol samples of 240 subjects (catechin group; n = 123, control group; n = 117). Decreases in body weight, body mass index, body fat ratio, body fat mass, waist circumference, hip circumference, visceral fat area, and subcutaneous fat area were found to be greater in the catechin group than in the control group. A greater decrease in systolic blood pressure (SBP) was found in the catechin group compared with the control group for subjects whose initial SBP was 130 mm Hg or higher. Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol was also decreased to a greater extent in the catechin group. No adverse effect was found. DISCUSSION: The continuous ingestion of a GTE (green tea extract) high in catechins led to a reduction in body fat, SBP, and LDL cholesterol, suggesting that the ingestion of such an extract contributes to a decrease in obesity and cardiovascular disease risks.

GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10) GregTR is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i will not be skinny fat, because im doing lots of cardio exercises. people who become "skinny fat" are the ones who cut what they eat, but dont do cardio exercises or weight training, therefore slowing down their metabolisms, and lowering their bodies' performance and ability to burn fat, because they are weak.

it's true that i may lose muscle faster than fat, but in the end i will lose those remaining fat too. when i drop to 157 lbs, my body fat percantage will be low. i mean i will not be skinny fat. i will be only skinny. i do lots of cardio exercise, which means utilizating oxygen to burn fat. im doing high intensity interval training, which enhances VO2 max and which also increases the number of mitochondrias, which play a role in fat oxidation:
    You sir are an idiot. At 157 you will be skinny fat and you will look terrible. Cardio has nothing to do with retaining muscle. How many Kenyan runners did you see that were all built up? And they do a ****load of cardio! Strength training will make you retain muscle, not cardio.

But apparently you're too lazy to do strength training and prepare protein rich meals. I wonder what will happen between now and your skinny fat state that will make you change gears. If you're banking on the higher testosterone levels and whatever other study you could quote you're in for a surprise. The best luck to you on your "weight loss" endeavor. Please check back with us once you're buff....
    www.gregstransformation.com - follow my journey

You sir are an idiot. At 157 you will be skinny fat and you will look terrible. Cardio has nothing to do with retaining muscle. How many Kenyan runners did you see that were all built up? And they do a ****load of cardio! Strength training will make you retain muscle, not cardio.

But apparently you're too lazy to do strength training and prepare protein rich meals. I wonder what will happen between now and your skinny fat state that will make you change gears. If you're banking on the higher testosterone levels and whatever other study you could quote you're in for a surprise. The best luck to you on your "weight loss" endeavor. Please check back with us once you're buff....

sorry, but i dont remember saying "cardio helps you keep muscle". i never said i will lose fat, while keeping muscle. i will not be skinny fat, becuase i will get rid of fat. i said: i will be skinny. i am 5' 8'', and i will not look "terrible" when i frop to 157 lbs. it is the healthy body weight for a person at 5'8'' height.

now who is the idiot?

Person A (you): Start out at 180lbs, 25% body fat. Lean Mass is ~135 pounds. He diets down 23 pounds through a poor diet and cardio only, to 157 lbs. He lost 12 pounds of fat and 11 pounds of muscle, so his lbm is now 124 lbs, and he has 33 pounds of fat. He is 21% body fat. AKA skinny fat.

Person B (smart guy): Starts out at 180lbs, 25% body fat. Lean mass is also 135 lbs. He loses 23 pounds , 20 pounds of which is fat and 3 pounds of muscle. His LBM is 132lbs, fat mass is 25 lbs. His body fat is 16%. He realizes he could probably lose a few more pounds of fat to be lean, but at least he isn't skinny-fat.

sorry, but i dont remember saying "cardio helps you keep muscle". i never said i will lose fat, while keeping muscle. i will not be skinny fat, becuase i will get rid of fat. i said: i will be skinny. i am 5' 8'', and i will not look "terrible" when i frop to 157 lbs. it is the healthy body weight for a person at 5'8'' height.
    Especially if you let your muscle waste away, you'll have what will be a disappointing amount of fat left at 157 lbs. You'll have to temper your expectations. It's understandable, as most people dramatically overestimate the amount of lean mass they have when overweight. There are people on this forum who are 3" taller than you, carry decent amounts of muscle, and weigh ~150.

now who is the idiot?
    I assure you that the label hasn't been shifted. Cherry-picking studies isn't going to cut it. I can tell from your writing that you've never published peer-reviewed research, but I assure you from experience that journal publications still have the potential to be pure nonsense. You should know that the author suggests to the journal which "peer candidates" would be best to review their work.

jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000) jay24k is just really nice. (+1000)
    Epic fail thread!
    I Rep back always. Put it in comment.

500+ will 100% get repped back.

Life Progress

Started: 279lb 43% body fat
    1st Cut: 191lb 16% body fat
    1st Bulk: 231lb 26% body fat
    2010 Summer Cut: 193 10% body fat
    Bulking Currently 202 13% body fat.

Originally Posted by csb5731 View Post
    Person A (you): Start out at 180lbs, 25% body fat. Lean Mass is ~135 pounds. He diets down 23 pounds through a poor diet and cardio only, to 157 lbs. He lost 12 pounds of fat and 11 pounds of muscle, so his lbm is now 124 lbs, and he has 33 pounds of fat. He is 21% body fat. AKA skinny fat.

Person B (smart guy): Starts out at 180lbs, 25% body fat. Lean mass is also 135 lbs. He loses 23 pounds , 20 pounds of which is fat and 3 pounds of muscle. His LBM is 132lbs, fat mass is 25 lbs. His body fat is 16%. He realizes he could probably lose a few more pounds of fat to be lean, but at least he isn't skinny-fat.
    Especially if you let your muscle waste away, you'll have what will be a disappointing amount of fat left at 157 lbs. You'll have to temper your expectations. It's understandable, as most people dramatically overestimate the amount of lean mass they have when overweight. There are people on this forum who are 3" taller than you, carry decent amounts of muscle, and weigh ~150.

I assure you that the label hasn't been shifted. Cherry-picking studies isn't going to cut it. I can tell from your writing that you've never published peer-reviewed research, but I assure you from experience that journal publications still have the potential to be pure nonsense. You should know that the author suggests to the journal which "peer candidates" would be best to review their work.
    you still dont understand. why do you insist on claiming i will lose lots of muscle but remain most of fat? i told you, i do lots of cardiovascular exercise, namely High Intensity Interval Training, which increases the body's fat oxidation capasity and ability, combined with a low carb, moderate protein, moderate fat diet. i dont starve myself. i never felt dizzy or weak in the past 50 days. i feel very fit, and athletic.

HIIT also increase the amount of calories burned at resting state come from fat, it means you burn more fat even when you are resting compared to the untrained or weight training person.

you still dont understand. why do you insist on claiming i will lose lots of muscle but remain most of fat? i told you, i do lots of cardiovascular exercise, namely High Intensity Interval Training, which increases the body's fat oxidation capasity and ability, combined with a low carb, moderate protein, moderate fat diet. i dont starve myself. i never felt dizzy or weak in the past 50 days. i feel very fit, and athletic.

HIIT also increase the amount of calories burned at resting state come from fat, it means you burn more fat even when you are resting compared to the untrained or weight training person.
    Well, if you are not doing anything to spare muscle, you will lose some. If you are going to lose 23 lbs, a significant portion will be muscle, and a lesser portion will be fat vs. someone who took measures to minimize muscle loss. Your end result, when you get to 157 lbs, won't be nearly as pleasing. And it's not like a couple of weight training sessions per week and getting a decent amount of protein in is a terrible hardship in the scheme of things. As someone said earlier, it will be far more cost efficient (in terms of protein and exercise) to take measures now vs. adding muscle later.

You also realize that HIIT EPOC (in effect, post-exercise energy expenditure) has been determined to have been greatly over-exaggerated. The EPOC, in effect, is insignificant in terms of weight loss. HIIT is great exercise, I do it, but it ain't a magic bullet.

now how can you be so sure that i will have a "disappointing" amount of fat when drop to 157 lbs? maybe my body is adapted to burn fat, much higher than other people?

karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) karewire has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

you mean scientific researches based on long-term controlled experiments, measurements, and scientific methods have the potential to be "pure nonsense" but your claims which have no scientific evidence and which are not based on any scientific research have the potential to be facts?? please...