Closed Thread
Page 137 of 283 FirstFirst ... 37 87 127 135 136 137 138 139 147 187 237 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,110 of 8474
    USAviator is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) USAviator is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) USAviator is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) USAviator is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) USAviator is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) USAviator is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) USAviator is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) USAviator is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) USAviator is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) USAviator is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) USAviator is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lol, even though I can understand laughing at some of the ignorant Catholic's that guy went past the line.

Also, Why is it that whenever I see religion being discussed or am having a discussion with someone personally they seem to bring up quotes from the Bible? It's like a safety blanket, if they say this, it will protect them from being wrong or being down in the conversation, even if it makes zero sense whatsoever.
    Last edited by USAviator; 08-03-2010 at 04:11 PM.
    The Truth Is Out There

-Ron Paul 2012-

I'm in the Danger Zone.

Queequeg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Queequeg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Queequeg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Queequeg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Queequeg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Queequeg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Queequeg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Queequeg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Queequeg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Queequeg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Queequeg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by USAviator View Post
    Lol, even though I can understand laughing at some of the ignorant Catholic's that guy went past the line.

Also, Why is it that whenever I see religion being discussed or am having a discussion with someone personally they seem to bring up quotes from the Bible? It's like a safety blanket, if they say this, it will protect them from being wrong or being down in the conversation, even if it makes zero sense whatsoever.
    I can't debate people in real life about religion, most people simply don't know enough about philosophy and theology, I simply end up crushing them in full view. So much so I feel guilty for smashing the basis for their beliefs apart in a sort conversation.

I am a very tolerant and well balanced poster, but in real life I'm far from it lol.

Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Can anybody recommend some books on evolution? I have realized that I know less about it than I want. Nothing too dumbed-down or too technical please, something about mid-level if possible.
    -- Traditional Wet Shaving Crew --
    -- Cold Shower Crew --

Goals:
    May _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Aug
    18 - . . . . . . . . . . . 64

neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Z06 View Post
    Can anybody recommend some books on evolution? I have realized that I know less about it than I want. Nothing too dumbed-down or too technical please, something about mid-level if possible.
    For an intro the Blind Watchman and the Selfish Gene are both fairly good. If you're wanting something a step up from that and don't mind a text book Kenneth Miller has a pretty good one on evolution but I can't recall the name of it right now.
    All of this has been posted before, and all of this will be posted again.

Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by neonhypoxia View Post
    For an intro the Blind Watchman and the Selfish Gene are both fairly good. If you're wanting something a step up from that and don't mind a text book Kenneth Miller has a pretty good one on evolution but I can't recall the name of it right now.
    Thanks, an intro and the basics is what I need.
    -- Traditional Wet Shaving Crew --
    -- Cold Shower Crew --

Goals:
    May _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Aug
    18 - . . . . . . . . . . . 64

neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) neonhypoxia is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks, an intro and the basics is what I need.
    The one I'm thinking of for Miller is generally called the dragonfly book. Should be able to find its real name without much problem, but for some reason I just don't feel like looking for it. Its a high school level bio textbook, give a pretty good intro to evolution. Would be a good start to move up to something more technical after that. Plus just about every public library should have it so very easy to get ahold of. You can just read the evolution sections and skip the rest of it. It covers human evolution as well.

mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The one I'm thinking of for Miller is generally called the dragonfly book. Should be able to find its real name without much problem, but for some reason I just don't feel like looking for it. Its a high school level bio textbook, give a pretty good intro to evolution. Would be a good start to move up to something more technical after that. Plus just about every public library should have it so very easy to get ahold of. You can just read the evolution sections and skip the rest of it. It covers human evolution as well.
    Is the origin of species worth getting ?.
    "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike" - Delos McKown

"Suppose there was an intelligence, vast and unknowable. Suppose it lit the big bang, suppose it wrote the laws of physics, and has been subtly moulding the universe for 14 billion years. Now keep a straight face and tell me that it cares where you stick your dick."

Originally Posted by mug View Post
    Is the origin of species worth getting ?.
    Its interesting for a historical perspective but other than that not so much. Its no where close to the level of detail or evidence presented as a modern text book on the subject would be. Very interesting to look at for the history of it, but for the science I'd absolutely go with a modern one. I have a copy simple because it was on sale at a used book store for like fifty cents.

mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000) mug is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Its interesting for a historical perspective but other than that not so much. Its no where close to the level of detail or evidence presented as a modern text book on the subject would be. Very interesting to look at for the history of it, but for the science I'd absolutely go with a modern one. I have a copy simple because it was on sale at a used book store for like fifty cents.
    Check out this one I just found on amazon, pay close attention to the author(s).

http://www.amazon.com/Origin-Species...0880391&sr=1-1

I like the idea of a textbook because It'll be pretty comprehensive and probably be full of color pics rather than just plain text.

"Suppose there was an intelligence, vast and unknowable. Suppose it lit the big bang, suppose it wrote the laws of physics, and has been subtly moulding the universe for 14 billion years. Now keep a straight face and tell me that it cares where you stick your dick."

Check out this one I just found on amazon, pay close attention to the author(s).

I like the idea of a textbook because It'll be pretty comprehensive and probably be full of color pics rather than just plain text.
    Ray Comfort? Ray mother f*cking Comfort! *face palms to death*

Some of the reviews are pretty rurzy.

i don't see why this book has gotten such bad reviews. its only a dollar and you get the revolutionary origin of species and 50 free pages of toilet paper, sure the toilet paper has some non-sensical scribbles on it by ray comfort but it will wipe you ass just as good.
    I fear things I don't understand and I loathe things that require concentration to read. So it was a grand surprise to see Ray Comfort's introduction to this abridged version of Darwin's book. I didn't really have to think at all. I hope they make a DVD version next, in cartoon format. That would let my spouse enjoy the book too. I'm the first in my family to learn to read. This is pretty good, right? It only took me half an hour.
    Anyways... Textbooks usually are the best bet. Most libraries carry them, you don't have to be worried about bias issues with them, and everything in them is backed up by evidence instead of opinion. Win!

Registered User CaptainGorgeous's Avatar
    CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Queequeg View Post
    I can't debate people in real life about religion, most people simply don't know enough about philosophy and theology, I simply end up crushing them in full view. So much so I feel guilty for smashing the basis for their beliefs apart in a sort conversation.

I am a very tolerant and well balanced poster, but in real life I'm far from it lol.
    This.

But to be fair, I could also take a theistic perspective and crush most atheists. Most people simply don't spend a lot of time analyzing their beliefs.

I also spend way more time defending religion on this forum than I would IRL. I'm really not a fan of religion at all--I think a godless world would be better. But I get sick of the relentless, ignorant religion bashing that lots of atheists on these boards seem to partake in. Most of the arguments against religion are extremely childish.
    Last edited by CaptainGorgeous; 08-03-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Ray Comfort? Ray mother f*cking Comfort! *face palms to death*

Some of the reviews are pretty rurzy.

Anyways... Textbooks usually are the best bet. Most libraries carry them, you don't have to be worried about bias issues with them, and everything in them is backed up by evidence instead of opinion. Win!
    Lol that dude is beyond retarded, remember this one ?

I found a Campbell Biology text book for about £2 ($3), apparently there among the best to get for college students and relative beginners.

Also I gonna pickup another textbook about abnormal psychology aka mental disorders etc. Its a subject that's always interested me. Who knows their may be a section about the biggest delusion of them all, religion.

Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Sh*t son, I saw a class of people leaving a lecture theatre with those copies of On the Origin and was thinking 'Oh yay, people are studying Darwin'. How wrong I was. I'll have to try and work out what subject it was, and then crash the lectures when it runs again.

Originally Posted by Infusco View Post
    Sh*t son, I saw a class of people leaving a lecture theatre with those copies of On the Origin and was thinking 'Oh yay, people are studying Darwin'. How wrong I was. I'll have to try and work out what subject it was, and then crash the lectures when it runs again.
    Maybe the subject was Intelligent Design.

Teacher: "Class, please take your seats. Today I will be teaching you the mechanism by which ID is possible. God did it. This concludes the class and you now have a free period for the rest of the semester."

Maybe the subject was Intelligent Design.

Teacher: "Class, please take your seats. Today I will be teaching you the mechanism by which ID is possible. God did it. This concludes the class and you now have a free period for the rest of the semester."
    Rurz. That reminds me of science class in Moral Oral.

Originally Posted by skinnycalves View Post
    Does anyone agree with me that "agnostic" is a useless term? What do I gain from acknowledging the possibility of a god? Nothing, since I can't claim to know his intentions.
    Pragmatically its fairly useless. In philosphical terms it is not because you are claiming to know the answer to the subject absolutely instead of stating you aren't completely sure. Depends upon which way you want to look at it.

Registered User Judge_Joe_Brown's Avatar
    Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You know what really annoys me? When theists tell me, "it's ok, we'll see on Judgement Day who'll be laughing". I won't get an opportunity to laugh at them

Facilitating the i̵̬͠l̴̺͒ Harbinger's Avatar
    Harbinger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Harbinger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Harbinger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Harbinger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Harbinger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Harbinger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Harbinger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Harbinger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Harbinger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Harbinger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Harbinger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Judge_Joe_Brown View Post
    You know what really annoys me? When theists tell me, "it's ok, we'll see on Judgement Day who'll be laughing". I won't get an opportunity to laugh at them
    if you loved jeebus you would......

jus sayin
    O|||||||O

riptor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) riptor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) riptor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) riptor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) riptor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) riptor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) riptor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) riptor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) riptor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) riptor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) riptor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters by Donald Prothero is really good. As the name suggests it mostly deals with the fossil evidence but it does touch upon other areas too.
    Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
    -- Ned Flanders

... I'd feel like a caveman, if they existed ... and they didn't ...
    - Ned Flanders

IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000) IceDragon is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Judge_Joe_Brown View Post
    Don't you just laugh at them right that instance? I usually do.
    Viking to the core.

Fark yew.

Large_Emu is just really nice. (+1000) Large_Emu is just really nice. (+1000) Large_Emu is just really nice. (+1000) Large_Emu is just really nice. (+1000) Large_Emu is just really nice. (+1000) Large_Emu is just really nice. (+1000) Large_Emu is just really nice. (+1000) Large_Emu is just really nice. (+1000) Large_Emu is just really nice. (+1000) Large_Emu is just really nice. (+1000) Large_Emu is just really nice. (+1000)
    Three questions about powerman2000.

1) Why do i seem to know more about the US political system than him?
    2) Why does he try and get involved in political discussions when he clearly doesn't know what the fuk he's talking about?
    3) How many mod dicks has he sucked to get his reps?
    *****Voted no to Brexit crew*****

*****Atheist Crew*****

*****Norwich City FC*****

Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judge_Joe_Brown has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Large_Emu View Post

2) Why does he try and get involved in political discussions when he clearly doesn't know what the fuk he's talking about?
    My reps went down cuz of him

anonymous
    Neon isnt Greatest Show on Earth by richard dawkins the best modern book on evolution?
    had 2 friends read it and said it was great

V1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) V1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) V1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) V1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) V1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) V1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) V1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) V1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) V1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) V1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) V1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A new video from Nonstampcollector:

I saw he was mentioned on page one, so I figured a few of you might enjoy this.

GeorgeCarlinJr is just really nice. (+1000) GeorgeCarlinJr is just really nice. (+1000) GeorgeCarlinJr is just really nice. (+1000) GeorgeCarlinJr is just really nice. (+1000) GeorgeCarlinJr is just really nice. (+1000) GeorgeCarlinJr is just really nice. (+1000) GeorgeCarlinJr is just really nice. (+1000) GeorgeCarlinJr is just really nice. (+1000) GeorgeCarlinJr is just really nice. (+1000) GeorgeCarlinJr is just really nice. (+1000) GeorgeCarlinJr is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Streetbull View Post
    Americans are the most moral people on earth. You'll laugh at that because you have no idea what morality is.
    I learn something new everyday in the RandP.
    chargers

Originally Posted by GeorgeCarlinJr View Post
    I learn something new everyday in the RandP.
    The f*ck?

Originally Posted by farquezy View Post
    Neon isnt Greatest Show on Earth by richard dawkins the best modern book on evolution?
    Never read it. If you decide to let us know how it is.

Originally Posted by IceDragon View Post
    Don't you just laugh at them right that instance? I usually do.
    I've done this before uncontrolable. Right in the middle of them talking just burst out in laugher, couldn't help it. Usually ends the conversation right there.

Originally Posted by Large_Emu View Post

1. Because he's a tard.
    2. Because he's a tard. One of the defining characteristic of a tard is that they do not know they are a tard.
    3. Bout tree fidy.

Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by farquezy View Post
    I've been meaning to buy that sometime soon.

Why Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne is meant to be quite good as well I hear. There's a lecture by him on youtube with the same title which is pretty cool.

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Evolution-...rBy=addOneStar

I always enjoy reading the 1 star reviews of science/religious books.

GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I found a Campbell Biology text book for about £2 ($3), apparently there among the best to get for college students and relative beginners.

Also I gonna pickup another textbook about abnormal psychology aka mental disorders etc. Its a subject that's always interested me. Who knows their may be a section about the biggest delusion of them all, religion.
    There's a good 101ish general psych text book I can recommend if you like. It's fairly complete, and gives a good overview of "everything".
    *Type O Negative Crew*
    Give Blood: http://www.redcrossblood.org/

Registered Physiologist Goose102's Avatar
    Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Goose102 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    http://www.ted.com/

In case you guys haven't heard of it.

Awesome site. Lots of talks on evolution.

Closed Thread
Page 137 of 283 FirstFirst ... 37 87 127 135 136 137 138 139 147 187 237 ... LastLast