Recovering Pasta Addict NoodlePDX's Avatar
    NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Packaged deli meat vs. fresh?

I love me some turkey breast sandwiches, my only problem is I'm a little picky when it comes to how I like my meat. i.e. very thinly sliced and without any red veiny blood vessels/discoloration in it.

I've always bought my turkey breast from a deli, but have been disappointed with their quality consistency lately. My question is...

Is the packaged deli meat (e.g. Oscar Mayer Shaved Turkey Breast) significantly worse to be eating than freshly sliced deli turkey breast?

From a numbers perspective, the macros seem comparable..and I like the taste of the packaged stuff better. But I get the sneaking suspicion that there are some preservatives or other bad stuff in the packaged version that would really convince me otherwise...

Any input is appreciated.
    "We can rebuild him. Better, stronger, faster."

patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10) patouk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    There are generally more preservatives in pre-packaged meats. They generally come soaked in some sort of broth. Your best choice is to get fresh cut deli meat from over the counter. The store I buy mine from there is a brand that has no preservatives and is also no salt added. So the sodium content per serving is very low compared to other brands. It tastes real good too, so that is a positive.

reddcobraa is not very well liked. (-100) reddcobraa is not very well liked. (-100) reddcobraa is not very well liked. (-100) reddcobraa is not very well liked. (-100) reddcobraa is not very well liked. (-100) reddcobraa is not very well liked. (-100) reddcobraa is not very well liked. (-100) reddcobraa is not very well liked. (-100) reddcobraa is not very well liked. (-100) reddcobraa is not very well liked. (-100) reddcobraa is not very well liked. (-100)
    Well with prepackaged the point of that is to be able to stay fresh for a long time while in the container so they fill it with many preservitives and added sodium because it helps kepp it preserved so your best off with over the counter and the benifit is you can chose your choice of thickness on the meat and healthier . Hope i helped

MJFan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) MJFan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) MJFan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) MJFan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) MJFan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) MJFan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) MJFan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) MJFan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) MJFan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) MJFan1 is a name known to all. (+5000) MJFan1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I love the fresh meat from the deli, I always get some turkey every week.
    Bulking to 170 lbs.

June 2012: 112 lbs.
    March 2015: 150 lbs.

Recovering Pasta Addict NoodlePDX's Avatar
    NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoodlePDX is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks guys!
    "We can rebuild him. Better, stronger, faster."

BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BunkMoreland has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    i go prepackaged. but with applegate farms. organic, antibiotic/nitrate free. bit more expensive, but i consume deli turkey most lunches of the week- so i go the organic way to keep away from dem der cancer causing nitrates
    "lady who goes fishing with men, comes back with red snapper" ~ Walt Whitman, 1986

★★ Blast it With Piss Crew ★★

♋ Mods close my wat do threads Crew ♋

dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ShrugginThug View Post
    i go prepackaged. but with applegate farms. organic, antibiotic/nitrate free. bit more expensive, but i consume deli turkey most lunches of the week- so i go the organic way to keep away from dem der cancer causing nitrates
    Is it proven that nitrates from these meats are cancer causing?
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right!"-Henry Ford