voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Working Through Biceps Tendonitis

Okay so about a week and a half ago I started getting a dull aching pain in the front/top of my shoulder. I stopped lifting and went to the doctor and had it diagnosed as "biceps tendinitis". The doctor prescribed me rest, an NSAID, and icing. I took a week and a half off, and during this week and a half was icing and resting it. Last night I went to the gym and did my first chest routine since the injury. On bench press I went very light, sticking to only what I usually use to warm up. I didn't really feel any pain, though my shoulder felt slightly strange. I'm not experiencing any pain on a day-to-day basis, so my real question is can I jump right back into lifting heavy/at the intensity I was before I got hurt? I'm very tentative to start training at my usual intensity for fear that the pain/injury will resurface. Any help/advice would be very appreciated!

mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by voypa View Post
    Okay so about a week and a half ago I started getting a dull aching pain in the front/top of my shoulder. I stopped lifting and went to the doctor and had it diagnosed as "biceps tendinitis". The doctor prescribed me rest, an NSAID, and icing. I took a week and a half off, and during this week and a half was icing and resting it. Last night I went to the gym and did my first chest routine since the injury. On bench press I went very light, sticking to only what I usually use to warm up. I didn't really feel any pain, though my shoulder felt slightly strange. I'm not experiencing any pain on a day-to-day basis, so my real question is can I jump right back into lifting heavy/at the intensity I was before I got hurt? I'm very tentative to start training at my usual intensity for fear that the pain/injury will resurface. Any help/advice would be very appreciated!
    evaluate yourself:
    if there's pain, lighten the load till there's no pain; try to preserve your range of motion.

ref
    why not train through pain? http://bit.ly/1NMp2K

www.egyfitness.com Finnegan Bell's Avatar
    Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000)
    I am exactly like you now . I have biceps tendinitis. Usually you won't get any pain if you narrow your bench press grip. And I know it is not pain ,just a funny feeling near the biceps/delts insertion.

Can you tell me how did you get it? Do u do front squats?Because thats how I got mine.

voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) voypa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The problem is that I'm not really experiencing pain, but I'm very hesitant to jump right back into heavy lifting at a high intensity. It's difficult for me to tell if it's healed because it feels relatively fine now. To answer your question I think I injured it shrugging/deadlifting.

Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000) Finnegan Bell is just really nice. (+1000)
    The problem is that I'm not really experiencing pain, but I'm very hesitant to jump right back into heavy lifting at a high intensity. It's difficult for me to tell if it's healed because it feels relatively fine now. To answer your question I think I injured it shrugging/deadlifting.
    Give it 2 weeks bro and it will be fine. How do u think you injured it deadlifting? Because I rarely saw someone hurt his long head biceps tendon from deadlifts. Do u know that 95% of people complain from long head biceps tendonitis ,suffer from a degree of impingement?
    Last edited by Finnegan Bell; 02-10-2010 at 04:11 AM.

Well I deadlifted one day about a week and a half ago and then that night it started hurting, leading me to think that's what did it.

Well I deadlifted one day about a week and a half ago and then that night it started hurting, leading me to think that's what did it.
    The long head biceps tendon passes between the acromion head and the humerus. If you have impingement this tendon will be affected. You said that you feel this tendon with pressing movement ,do u feel it with pulling movements.

You MUST know what caused it ,because curing the inflammation will not end it. You can possibly hurt it again. Now do u understand why I am curious what it caused it?

mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    trust yourself.

test with upping load and keeping range of motion / excellent form, as said.

mc

punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mc- View Post
    trust yourself.

test with upping load and keeping range of motion / excellent form, as said.

mc
    I have a question regarding that. If one does feel pain when upping the load, does that mean you've set yourself back, healing wise? Or is it just a minor setback?
    Bodybuilding is not weight and repetitions; it’s resistance and absolute muscle failure. It’s not quantitative; it’s qualitative. It’s more mental than physical. It’s more control than rage. It’s the realization that you can always get bigger. ~ bodybuilding

I lifted chest/tri's again tonight, went very light. However, the pain that used to be mainly in the front/top of my shoulder has now moved to the top/back of my shoulder, which is leading me to question the diagnosis of biceps tendonitis? The pain is not severe by any means, it is just a nagging pain that is causing me to worry. Thoughts?

I lifted chest/tri's again tonight, went very light. However, the pain that used to be mainly in the front/top of my shoulder has now moved to the top/back of my shoulder, which is leading me to question the diagnosis of biceps tendonitis? The pain is not severe by any means, it is just a nagging pain that is causing me to worry. Thoughts?
    The bicep tendon passes from the top arm to the scapula ,its a long tendon.

Originally Posted by punxnotdead309 View Post
    I have a question regarding that. If one does feel pain when upping the load, does that mean you've set yourself back, healing wise? Or is it just a minor setback?
    Well that's a hard one to say absolutely - lots of variables - including what pain is.

BUt let's say you've just gone up by 2 pounds on a lift and you feel it twinging and you back off back down to where there's no twinge and good ROM. You're largely dandy.

Acute Pain is a signal to change what you're doing. The sooner it's attended the better.

does that help?

mc

HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have long head bicep tendonitis in my left arm. I even find pushups cause me pain in front of my shoulder.

But puching a punching bad causes no pain whatsover.

strange. Anyone know why?
    "In AUSTRALIA
    Each year there are 470 000 adverse events, 18 000 deaths, and 50 000 permanent disabilities arising from medical error and negligence each year. This is four times higher compared to the USA." (Second oppinion, GERMOV quote, page 293)

353 fatal car crashes were recorded on Australian roads in 2008 (RTA, 2008). You are 50 TIMES more likely to die from medical negligence from a DOCTOR compared to being fatally injured in a car crash and they say driving is dangerous.

Originally Posted by HALON View Post
    I have long head bicep tendonitis in my left arm. I even find pushups cause me pain in front of my shoulder.

But puching a punching bad causes no pain whatsover.

strange. Anyone know why?
    How long have you had it? I used to feel pain with pushups ,especially with wide arms. But now pain is minimal. And also how did u get it?

HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HALON will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Finnegan Bell View Post
    How long have you had it? I used to feel pain with pushups ,especially with wide arms. But now pain is minimal. And also how did u get it?
    I have now had it for over 4 months. It actually went away in those 4 months but came back after I went swimming and did some overhand freestyle swimming.. I knows its tendonitis and not tendonosis as when I ice it helps with the pain alot.

I think I got mine when I was carrying a heavy shopping bag home. My arm got really fatigued. I could feel a mild strain in the bicep.

The next few days I picked a dumbbell of the ground deadlift style and could feel a strain in my bicep.

Swimming freestyle really made it worse.
    "In AUSTRALIA
    Each year there are 470 000 adverse events, 18 000 deaths, and 50 000 permanent disabilities arising from medical error and negligence each year. This is four times higher compared to the USA." (Second oppinion, GERMOV quote, page 293)

353 fatal car crashes were recorded on Australian roads in 2008 (RTA, 2008). You are 50 TIMES more likely to die from medical negligence from a DOCTOR compared to being fatally injured in a car crash and they say driving is dangerous.

Did u see swelling or different colors? If so where? How was it diagnosed?

Did u see swelling or different colors? If so where? How was it diagnosed?
    No swelling or pain on palpitation.

Just pain when using my arm.

I had an ultrasound done which showed that my bicp tendon is fine no swelling or anything. No evidence of impingement.

But it did show that I have supraspinatus tendonosis. But I have no pain or weakness in the supraspinatus and have full strength in all rotator cuff tests. The doctor said that the inflammation from the supraspinatus is affecting my bicep tendon.

I went to my physio who said that I have bicep tendonitis as seen the symptoms I am experiencing. He said I dont have any supraspinatus tendonosis as there is no evidence for it in the physical tests and sometimes ultrasounds are no always accurate.
    "In AUSTRALIA

There is a study that shows that 95% suffer from biceps tendonitis have a degree of impingement. Anyway impingement is not a serious injury because it can be treated with stretches and RC strengthing. Even with severe cases the bones can be shaven with arthoscope and quick rehab. I am asking you this questions because tendonitis on its own can be treated. Its the cause that matters. You must know the cause.

There is a study that shows that 95% suffer from biceps tendonitis have a degree of impingement. Anyway impingement is not a serious injury because it can be treated with stretches and RC strengthing. Even with severe cases the bones can be shaven with arthoscope and quick rehab. I am asking you this questions because tendonitis on its own can be treated. Its the cause that matters. You must know the cause.
    Also before I use to hear like a snaping sound around the bicep tendon area when sometimes moving my arm.

I dont have this anymore.

I have been doing a lot of external rotation exercises. Shoulder dislocaton stretches and chest stretches.

I know mine was causes by a strain. But I did not let it heal.

How did you get your bicep tendonitis?
    "In AUSTRALIA

Originally Posted by HALON View Post

How did you get your bicep tendonitis?
    I spent 2 months doing heavy front squats and placing a heavy bar at a wrong place on my delts. I strained my delts then went afterwards and pushed through pain in bench press.

I got supraspinatus tendinitis and biceps tendinitis. First got 100% cured with 1 cortisone shot. I am still waiting for biceps tendinitis to heal with rest. I did very good stretches and Rehab program for impingement. http://www.athleticadvisor.com/image...mpingement.pdf

It will only take you 2 weeks to feel improvements. The biceps tendon is very long and the inflammation can be anywhere. I am also not sure if I strained something else in my delts. MRI can't show everything.