cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Will I ever have a V-taper????

I was scrutinizing myself in the mirror today. BLEAH! Will I EVER see any progress in building a nice, v-taper shape?

I have been working out with heavy weights since October. (Before that I was spinning my wheels with light-medium weights for I don't want to think how many years.)

I know what I need to do: keep lifting heavy and eat lots of protein & veggies, with some carbs & healthy fats. Maybe I'm just expecting to see results too soon. Often I read posts here where a woman says she's been lifting heavy for 2 months and made fantastic progress. Wish I could say the same! Seems like I'm busting my butt but the changes are agonizingly slow.

I'm OK with focusing on the long haul. What I'm looking for in this post is just anyone's experience or advice for inspiration

shredder89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would say to prioritize wide grip chins and lat pull downs on your 'back' days and to be patient.

rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Try to improve your mental connection to your back muscles. This is difficult for most people but it is important if you dont have mutant back genes. Be sure to stimulate the teres major during your workouts thats what creates the backs width. DO NOT USE weights to train your obliques because if they get bigger your taper goes to hell. Finally do a good bit of shoulder work to make you wider up top.
    Last edited by rob440; 02-09-2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling

cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10) cherilee is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by shredder89 View Post
    I would say to prioritize wide grip chins and lat pull downs on your 'back' days and to be patient.
    Will do. Thanks. How long before my taper looks like yours, LOL?

Originally Posted by rob440 View Post
    Try to improve your mental connection to your back muscles. This is difficult for most people but it is important if you dont have mutant back genes. Be sure to stimulate the teres major during your workouts thats what creates the backs width. DO NOT USE weights to train your obliques because if they get beiiger your taper goes to hell. Finally do a good bit of shoulder work to make you wider up top.
    Hmmm, hadn't thought about the obliques interfering with the symmetry that way. Thanks for the advice. I will work on the mental connection too.

Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Simpy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by rob440 View Post
    Try to improve your mental connection to your back muscles. This is difficult for most people but it is important if you dont have mutant back genes. Be sure to stimulate the teres major during your workouts thats what creates the backs width. DO NOT USE weights to train your obliques because if they get bigger your taper goes to hell. Finally do a good bit of shoulder work to make you wider up top.
    ^^^^ This.

learn to flare your lats. That will help with this.

AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AUTiger13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cherilee View Post
    I was scrutinizing myself in the mirror today. BLEAH! Will I EVER see any progress in building a nice, v-taper shape?

I have been working out with heavy weights since October. (Before that I was spinning my wheels with light-medium weights for I don't want to think how many years.)

I know what I need to do: keep lifting heavy and eat lots of protein & veggies, with some carbs & healthy fats. Maybe I'm just expecting to see results too soon. Often I read posts here where a woman says she's been lifting heavy for 2 months and made fantastic progress. Wish I could say the same! Seems like I'm busting my butt but the changes are agonizingly slow.

I'm OK with focusing on the long haul. What I'm looking for in this post is just anyone's experience or advice for inspiration
    It isn't just about what you eat but when you are trying to grow--how much you eat. Are you eating at a caloric surplus? HAve you ever thought about doing a back specialization?
    http://maximumfitnessconsulting.com
    https://www.instagram.com/noelmaxfit/
    http://www.********.com/profile.php?id=1298381725#!/MaximumFitnessConsulting

Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Boxer702 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Let me tell you the secret to a V-Taper lol

Work on close grip pull downs and close grip pull up.

Close grip works more of the width of your back and wide would work more of the inner back.

Also note, Work out your side delts to give the impression of a wider upper back and giving your waist a smaller look.

Hope that helps

nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Simpy View Post
    ^^^^ This.

I have yet to learn this!!

creatine a masterpiece Downwthesicknes's Avatar
    Downwthesicknes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Downwthesicknes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Downwthesicknes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Downwthesicknes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Downwthesicknes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Downwthesicknes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Downwthesicknes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Downwthesicknes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Downwthesicknes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Downwthesicknes will become famous soon enough. (+50) Downwthesicknes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^^^^ This.

About a month ago it took about 10 mins of "warm up" before I could even begin to sorta flare/flex my lats...

I had really never worked my back out.. (cuz I thought girls didn't need too... ::rolls eyes at my ignorance:: ) So my mind muscle coordination in my back was pretty much non existant. I would work my back out (or so I thought) and the next day my earlobes, pinky toes, and belly button would be sore.. ok not really.. But it was BAD

Now. I practice flaring my lats in between sets (like competition posing)... people in my gym think I'm crazy..

But now, I can flare my lats anywhere and in any position! laying down... driving.. while working. lol. I can't stop!!!!

Keep at it babe!
    I'm a member of bodybuilding.com not Match . com please act accordingly. :)

powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Downwthesicknes View Post
    About a month ago it took about 10 mins of "warm up" before I could even begin to sorta flare/flex my lats...

I had really never worked my back out.. (cuz I thought girls didn't need too... ::rolls eyes at my ignorance:: ) So my mind muscle coordination in my back was pretty much non existant. I would work my back out (or so I thought) and the next day my earlobes, pinky toes, and belly button would be sore.. ok not really.. But it was BAD

Now. I practice flaring my lats in between sets (like competition posing)... people in my gym think I'm crazy..

But now, I can flare my lats anywhere and in any position! laying down... driving.. while working. lol. I can't stop!!!!

Keep at it babe!
    I effing love you. I thought I had NO lats, but after reading your post, I decided to practice in the mirror. After 20 minutes, I finally figured out how to flare them! I know it's so dorky, but I was so happy and I have you to thank.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^^^^ This.

Yep.

Try doing weighted wide grip hangs every day as a stretching exercise. Use straps and do this for time.

Lat size and V-shape are really two different things. One can have good lats and a weak taper, or good taper and weak lats. Ideally you'd want both.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Awesome responses! I have much food for thought here. Thanks to everyone for your support!! I believe I can really do this....

mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by cherilee View Post

Just remember when working back...... anything being pulled down from over the head will help with Width.....anything being pulled toward the back , i.e. rows of anykind will build thickness....

and october is really no time to be working out, you shouldn't have seen much by now anyhow. And yes there are tons of people who claim they have made fantastic results, but their are also a ton of people who love themselves in this world. The only time I believe when someone told me what great progress they made in x amount of time, is from pictures.
    I do not sugar coat things, but you got in the condition you're in by "sugar coating."