dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Only incline presses?

Hey

I'm just questioning whether my decision to only use incline dumbbell presses and no flat presses was a wise one...?

Basically, when I first started a few years back I only ever did flat presses and flyes etc. My pecs did develop but I ended up with what I can only describe as "droopy / almost saggy" looking pecs. After reading around a good bit on the net (inc. here) I came to the conclusion that this was the result of me only having done flat presses.

I don't know how true this is, as my understanding is that the pectorals are just one muscle and not several different ones. But what I read was that flat presses work more the lower pecs and thus if only done can result in that saggy look.

That was over a year back now, and having since only done incline presses and also focused a lot more on cardio / intensity training etc my pecs are fine again, but I don't seem to be able to build them up much.

So two ques:
    1) Are flat presses really more effective for putting on more mass on the chest?
    2) Are there certain body types that react "badly" to too many flat presses (droppy looking pecs etc)?

older1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) older1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) older1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) older1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) older1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) older1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) older1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) older1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) older1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) older1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) older1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would say the incline is better for putting mass on your chest,but i dont think thats your problem. I think you need to incorporate more excercises into your chest routine.

Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by older1 View Post
    I would say the incline is better for putting mass on your chest,but i dont think thats your problem. I think you need to incorporate more excercises into your chest routine.
    I agree. I would stick with something like:
    1. Flat
    2. Incline
    3. Decline
    4. Fly's
    5. Dips(if you feel up to it)

For each workout i will alternate Decline and Fly's. I usually do about 3-5 sets of each.
    As i get older I am realizing i have to get while the gettings good. I can put stats and PR's up here all day long. But, the main concepts with my workouts....
    1. GO BIG OR GO HOME.
    2. FORM IS EVERYTHING
    3. BREATHE.

dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dohste has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the feedback.

My routine for my chest at the moment is:

incline dumbbell presses - x12, x10, x8, x6, x12 (where weight increases as reps go down), followed by a superset of incline dumbbell fly's. And that then twice a week (Monday and Friday)

So you're right about the lack of variety. I might try sticking to just 8 reps and then something like:

incline dumbbell presses x8, x8
    flat dumbbell presses x8, x8
    incline dumbbell fly's x8, x8
    Butterfly machine or Dips: super-set to failure.

BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Rocky3540 View Post
    I agree. I would stick with something like:
    1. Flat
    2. Incline
    3. Decline
    4. Fly's
    5. Dips(if you feel up to it)

For each workout i will alternate Decline and Fly's. I usually do about 3-5 sets of each.
    There's no reason to do decline if he does dips. It shortens the range of motion, anyway.

Registered User BillabongVolcom's Avatar
    BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    30 seconds MAX between sets.

6 x 6 Incline BB
    6 x 6 Flat DB
    6 x 10-12 Incline Fly's
    6 x 10-12 Cable Crossovers
    I had all the normal teenage fantasies..cars, girls, money, blow. Then my parents left for a week, and all my fantasies came true!

BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10) BananaHammocks is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BillabongVolcom View Post

6 x 6 Incline BB
    6 x 6 Flat DB
    6 x 10-12 Incline Fly's
    Why such short rest times? That just compromises the weight that he can use.

BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by BananaHammocks View Post
    Why such short rest times? That just compromises the weight that he can use.
    Bodybuilding is not about how much weight you can lift, it's how much you look like you can lift. It's combining two different programs, Team Scivation 6 x 6 and Pro Serge Nubret's 6 x 10-12. They both rest 30 seconds MAX between sets. The pump is unbelievable and you're sore as ****! You will sweat your arss off.
    I had all the normal teenage fantasies..cars, girls, money, blow. Then my parents left for a week, and all my fantasies came true!

Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rocky3540 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There's no reason to do decline if he does dips. It shortens the range of motion, anyway.
    You are correct. I miss spoke, I meant alt dips and decline not fly's...so sorry. I always do flys. Just mix cables with db.
    As i get older I am realizing i have to get while the gettings good. I can put stats and PR's up here all day long. But, the main concepts with my workouts....
    1. GO BIG OR GO HOME.
    2. FORM IS EVERYTHING
    3. BREATHE.

Bodybuilding is not about how much weight you can lift, it's how much you look like you can lift. It's combining two different programs, Layne Norton's 6 x 6 and Pro Serge Nubret's 6 x 10-12. They both rest 30 seconds MAX between sets. The pump is unbelievable and you're sore as ****! You will sweat your arss off.
    Well, personally I want to BE strong, not look strong. But to each his own. I still believe that more weight = better gains. This guy will not gain for long if he always trains for a pump and just goes through 5 exercises with no intensity whatsoever.

Yeah my rest times are normally in about 60sec, give or take 10sec...

would there be any benefit to shorter rest times? cause I'd expect I would end up sacrificing weight for it, like BananaHamocks said

Also do the cable cross-overs target something that I'd miss with the other 3 exercises plus maybe Dips / Butterfly machine?

I gen try to avoid the cable exercises cause it can be a pain trying to get onto them - only one in the gym and generally someone's on it.

Well, personally I want to BE strong, not look strong. But to each his own. I still believe that more weight = better gains. This guy will not gain for long if he always trains for a pump and just goes through 5 exercises with no intensity whatsoever.
    I myself prefer heavier weights. I usually have a 3 or 4 minute rest between sets. I get plenty of pump and plenty of soreness. With that said, it is what the person wants that matters. OP you just need to make up your mind with what you want to do and what you feel does your body the best.
    1. GO BIG OR GO HOME.
    2. FORM IS EVERYTHING
    3. BREATHE.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by dohste View Post
    1) Are flat presses really more effective for putting on more mass on the chest?
    Unfortunately, there isn't a definite answer to this question. An individual's particular body mechanics, as well as the form he uses during training, can completely alter the emphasis of an exercise compared to someone else.

It's up to you to evaluate how a particular exercise affects you.

2) Are there certain body types that react "badly" to too many flat presses (droppy looking pecs etc)?
    Not sure what your definition of 'body type' might be, but as in my above reply, an individual's body mechanics (bone length, joints, muscle insertions/origins, etc) and exactly how he performs the exercise (equipment, grip width, etc) will have a profound effect on results.

Probably the better approach would be to emphasize Inclines, but to not completely neglect Flat Presses.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 02-09-2010 at 08:31 AM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Yeah, I guess Serge Nubret and Team Scivation didn't make good gains training with lower weight.

Originally Posted by dohste View Post
    Yeah my rest times are normally in about 60sec, give or take 10sec...

would there be any benefit to shorter rest times? cause I'd expect I would end up sacrificing weight for it, like BananaHamocks said

Also do the cable cross-overs target something that I'd miss with the other 3 exercises plus maybe Dips / Butterfly machine?

I gen try to avoid the cable exercises cause it can be a pain trying to get onto them - only one in the gym and generally someone's on it.
    Well, I'm no scientist, but I do know that I've rested up to 8 minutes in between sets and my gains have been the same. It's easy to over-complicate things, but I think you should rest long enough to allow yourself to progress on all your lifts and not worry about whether you feel "pumped" or not.

Yeah, I guess Serge Nubret and Team Scivation didn't make good gains training with lower weight.

Yeah, anyone can post a picture. Don't see how it's relevant to the OP's situation.

Yeah, anyone can post a picture. Don't see how it's relevant to the OP's situation.
    Thinking there is a little more than just lower weight to that.
    1. GO BIG OR GO HOME.
    2. FORM IS EVERYTHING
    3. BREATHE.

To the OP, I think Flat Bench is way over rated. Flat Bench puts to much strain on your Shoulders.

Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    To the OP, I think Flat Bench is way over rated. Flat Bench puts to much strain on your Shoulders.
    And somebody doesn't know how to bench.

Originally Posted by Miketoc View Post
    And somebody doesn't know how to bench.
    Yup, that's why most people who tear their Chest muscle is always doing Flat Benching.

Most people's form is crap. They never learn how to bench like a powerlifter, with the back arched and the elbows tucked in.

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Serg could bench close to 500lb in his prime. Yeah, really nice example of the unimportance of getting strong in bodybuilding.....
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I personally start with incline most of the time. If you prioritize incline, it will minimize the droopy look that you are trying to avoid.

That said, I wouldn't neglect flat and/or decline... or any movement for that matter. It's good to be proficient at everything, both for the sake of physical development as well as gaining experience and learning how your body responds to various stimuli.

Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Superhuman7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Not sure what your definition of 'body type' might be, but as in my above reply, an individual's body mechanics (bone length, joints, muscle insertions/origins, etc) and exactly how he performs the exercise (equipment, grip width, etc) will have a profound effect on results.

Probably the better approach would be to emphasize Inclines, but to not completely neglect Flat Presses.
    Absolutely correct. Great advice.

henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100)

6 x 6 Incline BB
    6 x 6 Flat DB
    6 x 10-12 Incline Fly's
    That's dumb

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Only if you don't know how to bench.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA