Bballstunt313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bballstunt313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bballstunt313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Mixing whey and casein protein together?

i saw some guy at the gym today had like half a scoop of whey and half a scoop of casein to use throughout his workout (yes i know it was casein and whey because i asked him) they were both different flavors too (chocolate and vanilla) so im just curious if anyone else does this, what it tastes like, and what is the benefit of mixing them together if any at all
    Pump or Die.

RampageSV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think there is another post taking something similar, and there is even graphics information about the absorption of both, trey to search it, it might help you, sorry to no put you the link, I'm not allowed to do so yet on this forum, (I think is something about post counts).

Bballstunt313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bballstunt313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bballstunt313 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by RampageSV View Post
    I think there is another post taking something similar, and there is even graphics information about the absorption of both, trey to search it, it might help you, sorry to no put you the link, I'm not allowed to do so yet on this forum, (I think is something about post counts).
    tried looking but didn't find that one or any other one that gave me the info i was really looking for, thanks though and yeah i couldnt post links either for a while until i started posting a lil more
    Pump or Die.

bump
    Pump or Die.

ccavayero40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ccavayero40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ccavayero40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ccavayero40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ccavayero40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ccavayero40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ccavayero40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ccavayero40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ccavayero40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ccavayero40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ccavayero40 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Bballstunt313 View Post
    bump
    Don't think it would be all that beneficial during your workout...unless ur lifting session was like 2 hrs + which most people would reccomend against. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea post workout, or before bed possibly...
    "Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

"Lightweight Babay!"

xikar is just really nice. (+1000) xikar is just really nice. (+1000) xikar is just really nice. (+1000) xikar is just really nice. (+1000) xikar is just really nice. (+1000) xikar is just really nice. (+1000) xikar is just really nice. (+1000) xikar is just really nice. (+1000) xikar is just really nice. (+1000) xikar is just really nice. (+1000) xikar is just really nice. (+1000)
    The nights I go to the gym later than usual and dont get home until 9 or so I will mix both together. The whey should still absorb quickly while the casein hopefully carries me through the night.... Who the hell knows if it works though. LOL.
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***

G-LoWe is on a distinguished road. (+10) G-LoWe is on a distinguished road. (+10) G-LoWe is on a distinguished road. (+10) G-LoWe is on a distinguished road. (+10) G-LoWe is on a distinguished road. (+10) G-LoWe is on a distinguished road. (+10) G-LoWe is on a distinguished road. (+10) G-LoWe is on a distinguished road. (+10) G-LoWe is on a distinguished road. (+10) G-LoWe is on a distinguished road. (+10) G-LoWe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by xikar View Post
    The nights I go to the gym later than usual and dont get home until 9 or so I will mix both together. The whey should still absorb quickly while the casein hopefully carries me through the night.... Who the hell knows if it works though. LOL.
    Casein is good for before bed. If you workout late, then I see no problem mixing a scoop of whey, and a scoop of Casein to give you 40g of protein after workout.

If you workout early, I would just hit the whey before, after, then hit the Casein before bed.
    B e a s t M o d e [ON] OFF

xxx {BROWN RICE MAFIA} xxx

davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) davidl351 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    the reason he probably did that was to spike some AAs into his bloodstream using the whey, then have a slow trickle of it with the casein throughout his workout. Xtreme Formulations UP 2.0 utilizes a mixture of whey protein isolate and micellar casein for just this effect. also, Lyle McDonald goes in-depth into protein absorption rates, including whey and casein. though the whey does not get broken down quickly enough, so taking it during a short workout wouldn't be as beneficial as taking it before.
    Last edited by davidl351; 02-08-2010 at 05:19 PM.
    Sponsored Muscle Pharm stack log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122828761

My personal journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120486931

-- V DUBBBBB --
    my 2.5 sqeaks louder than your 2.5, silly wabbit.

Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Some people like to take BCAA's or AA's during their workout, and most of the intra-workout type drinks contain those. Those are simply broken down proteins.

Certainly nothing 'wrong' with it, though they could be used more for energy than for muscle recovery. And of course some people may find a lot of whey and casein too 'heavy' in their stomach while working out.

Registered User Thatskinnyguy92's Avatar
    Thatskinnyguy92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by G-LoWe View Post
    Casein is good for before bed. If you workout late, then I see no problem mixing a scoop of whey, and a scoop of Casein to give you 40g of protein after workout.

If you workout early, I would just hit the whey before, after, then hit the Casein before bed.
    Before AND after the workout..?

mentalist72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mentalist72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mentalist72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mentalist72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mentalist72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mentalist72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mentalist72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mentalist72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mentalist72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mentalist72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mentalist72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Thatskinnyguy92 View Post
    Before AND after the workout..?
    Why did you waste your first post on a 4 year old thread?

Tropez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tropez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tropez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tropez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tropez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tropez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tropez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tropez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tropez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tropez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tropez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Bballstunt313 View Post
    i saw some guy at the gym today had like half a scoop of whey and half a scoop of casein to use throughout his workout (yes i know it was casein and whey because i asked him) they were both different flavors too (chocolate and vanilla) so im just curious if anyone else does this, what it tastes like, and what is the benefit of mixing them together if any at all
    I've been doing it that way since Jan 1.

I use 1 serving of ON Casein (vanilla/chocolate/strawberry) and then 1 serving of various ON whey flavors to mix it up. I've tried Cake Batter, Rocky Road and Chocolate Malt so far. I like to have the ability to mix them giving me new, custom flavor combos. That plus I like having the slow digesting casein and fast digesting whey in one shake. Best of both worlds to me. Even though some people claim it's not wise to mix both, I call that broscience. It works for me and that's all that matters.
    Disclaimer: I am not a licensed expert so the views expressed in this post should be considered, like, my personal opinion man.