jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000)

Overtraining arms? Arms day after shoulders day

I've been doing shoulders day then arms day for months and it has been working well. I know the "if it ain't broke" opinion is a popular one and that's what I have been living by. However, I moved up in weight on DB shoulder presses yesterday and pushed a personal best and I could feel the pump in my tris for the remainder of the day. Today I dropped in weight on CGBP. I did manage 3 sets but with lighter weight and less reps.

My arms routine is as follows

Supersets

CGBP 3 sets 6-8
    Preacher Curls 3 sets 6-8

Skulls 3 sets 6-8
    Hammer Curls 3 sets 10,8,6

Weighted Dips 3 sets to failure
    Weighted chins 3 sets to failure

Opinions as to whether or not I am over training my arms? I have no problem with dropping some sets but I don't want to undertrain.

dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jvalla View Post
    I've been doing shoulders day then arms day for months and it has been working well. I know the "if it ain't broke" opinion is a popular one and that's what I have been living by. However, I moved up in weight on DB shoulder presses yesterday and pushed a personal best and I could feel the pump in my tris for the remainder of the day. Today I dropped in weight on CGBP. I did manage 3 sets but with lighter weight and less reps.

My arms routine is as follows

Supersets

CGBP 3 sets 6-8
    Preacher Curls 3 sets 6-8

Skulls 3 sets 6-8
    Hammer Curls 3 sets 10,8,6

Weighted Dips 3 sets to failure
    Weighted chins 3 sets to failure

Opinions as to whether or not I am over training my arms? I have no problem with dropping some sets but I don't want to undertrain.
    you are hitting you triceps after they have been hit by doing shoulders the day before. this can interfere with the healing/growing proccess for some.

jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000) jvalla is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dutter View Post
    you are hitting you triceps after they have been hit by doing shoulders the day before. this can interfere with the healing/growing proccess for some.
    Yeah the DB shoulder presses definitely hit my tris yesterday and then a full tri workout today. Has to be the case.

Does my routine have too much volume?

dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah the DB shoulder presses definitely hit my tris yesterday and then a full tri workout today. Has to be the case.

Does my routine have too much volume?
    i don't think the volume is bad but when you do weighted chins your back comes into play a lot. when you do weighted dips, your chest & shoulders come into play. its hard not to overlap muscle groups. that is why many would do back & bies on the same day (pull muscles) & chest or shoulders & triceps on the same day (push muscles). there are many way to split your body up and many opinions.

here is a split i have used in the past:

mon: chest & trieceps.
    tue: back, traps & biceps
    wed: off
    thur: legs
    fri: shoulders
    sat & sun off

here is a split im using now to mix it up some

mon: chest & light trieceps.
    tue: back, traps & light biceps
    wed: shoulders
    fri: heavy biceps & triceps
    sat & sun off

having the chest and shoulders so close is not perfect but its a mix up for now.
    Last edited by dutter; 02-04-2010 at 08:44 AM.

i don't think the volume is bad but when you do weighted chins your back comes into play a lot. when you do weighted dips, your chest & shoulders come into play. its hard not to overlap muscle groups. that is why many would do back & bies on the same day (pull muscles) & chest or shoulders & triceps on the same day (push muscles). there are many way to split your body up and many opinions.

here is a split i have used in the past:

mon: chest & trieceps.
    tue: back, traps & biceps
    wed: off
    fri: shoulders
    sat & sun off

here is a split im using now to mix it up some

mon: chest & light trieceps.
    tue: back, traps & light biceps
    wed: shoulders
    fri: heavy biceps & triceps
    sat & sun off

having the chest and shoulders so close is not perfect but its a mix up for now.

Hmmm. Thanks.
    I am due for a new split as I am getting bored. I am just nervy about change as this has been working out quite nicely. I should split up arms and shoulders. I've been thinking of throwing legs in on Thursday to break it up. Maybe I'll actually be able to walk on the weekend.

My current is pretty straight forward

Mon Chest
    Tues Back
    Wed Shoulders
    Thursday Arms
    Friday Legs

I've been bulking for the past 4 months and have put on almost 20 Lbs clean. 3500 cals per day and planning a cut. I dropped my cals to ~3250 this week to test the waters. So I mentally I am expecting a loss of energy/strength. We'll see how it goes.

Not too sure I want to change up my routine when going into a cut. Anyway, thanks for the adivce.

Hmmm. Thanks.
    I am due for a new split as I am getting bored. I am just nervy about change as this has been working out quite nicely. I should split up arms and shoulders. I've been thinking of throwing legs in on Thursday to break it up. Maybe I'll actually be able to walk on the weekend.

My current is pretty straight forward

Mon Chest
    Tues Back
    Wed Shoulders
    Thursday Arms
    Friday Legs

I've been bulking for the past 4 months and have put on almost 20 Lbs clean. 3500 cals per day and planning a cut. I dropped my cals to ~3250 this week to test the waters. So I mentally I am expecting a loss of energy/strength. We'll see how it goes.

Not too sure I want to change up my routine when going into a cut. Anyway, thanks for the adivce.
    maby you can make a slight change like below. you would help eliminate overlaping and get your legs in on thur like you wanted.

Mon Chest
    Tues Back
    Wed Shoulders
    Thursday Legs
    Friday Arms

maby you can make a slight change like below. you would help eliminate overlaping and get your legs in on thur like you wanted.

Mon Chest
    Tues Back
    Wed Shoulders
    Thursday Legs
    Friday Arms
    Thanks dutter.

Thanks dutter.
    your welcome. good luck on your quest