Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000)
    hey guys. i have been looking into ironmasters and powerblocks and my search led me here. the U90 PB's intrigued me, as one of the appeals to the IM's was the durability (and it is always nice to see a lifetime warranty, for what its worth).

the U90's seemed to close this gap with the IM's a bit. however, the lack of confirmation of an add on kit concerned me, so i emailed PB. got this email back from Matt today:

Derek,

The U90 set will be able to be expandable in about 2 months to 125 pounds. This will add about 2 inches to the width of the block.

thanks,

Matt

so, the current U90 at 90 lbs is 16.875 inches long (according to website)
    the current sport 9.0 at 90 lbs is 16 inches long and at 130 lbs is 19.25 inches long.

the 125 lb U90 should be about 18.875 inches long. im glad the expansion is near and that these will actually be shorter than the sport 9.0, albeit at 5 lbs less. the Ironmasters at 120 lbs (really they are about 116 lbs) are 18.5 inches long.

cheers
    Last edited by dskoo65; 04-19-2010 at 08:39 AM.

DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great review.

A tip on two handed tricep extensions, YES you CAN do them!

Pick your desired weight, pull the block out of the stack, turn it over and grab the cylinders with both hands (where the adjuster weights go) on the bottom side of the block, hoist overhead and perform two handed tricep extension. I've been doing these this way for 13yrs (just make sure you don't use more wieght than you can comfortably grip in that position).

mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mtl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DC-333 View Post
    Great review.

Pick your desired weight, pull the block out of the stack, turn it over and grab the cylinders with both hands (where the adjuster weights go) on the bottom side of the block, hoist overhead and perform two handed tricep extension. I've been doing these this way for 13yrs (just make sure you don't use more wieght than you can comfortably grip in that position).
    X2

When I use the PB's for extensions this is exactly how I do them as well.
    Makes for a very stable and controllable movement during the exercise.

Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DC-333 View Post
    Great review.

Originally Posted by mtl View Post
    X2

When I use the PB's for extensions this is exactly how I do them as well.
    Makes for a very stable and controllable movement during the exercise.
    Yeah this does work, to an extent. I was doing them on Saturday and realized that if I go past 60 lbs I wont be able to fit my hand around the handles, as there won't be enough room. Just something I realized so I thought I would share, still love my Powerblocks tho

ryllz75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryllz75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryllz75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryllz75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryllz75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryllz75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Powerblocks Sport 9.0 Stage II - PICS

Hey All,

thought i'd chime in to this thread. I've been working out using the older Powerblocks Pro 5-45lbs set and upgraded to the newer Sportblock 9.0 Stage II kit 90lbs.

I went to a few fitness stores and had gotten a chance to try out the New U-90. I love the aesthetic look of the U-90 but couldn't get over the plastic pins holding the plates. Instead of the traditional Metal ones there are 2 plastic pieces on each end that holds the plates in place. They look durable but just the thought of anything plastic holding up plates above my head when working out scared me a little.. lol

After talking to the owner of the last store I visited he saw how torn I was between the U-90 Stage II and the Sportblock 9.0 Stage II. Price wasn't that heavy of a consideration as I came prepared to buy it either way. By his account they have not sold much of the U-90 sets and that the more popular sets were the Sportsblock. Now he was a straight up guy since he has owned this store since 1992 and started to carry the Powerblocks line in 1993 so i trusted him in what he said. He even had all the old posters of the first powerblock model still hanging on the wall!!

Then came the deal... he offered me 10% off the U90 if I bought the stand along with it. It would've only been $638 + $129 for the stand $767 - 10% = $690 plus taxes which is a great deal.. BUT then he said that if I take one of the Sportblock 9.0 with Stage II kit and a the large Stand he would give me the whole deal for $579 altogether out the door with TAX! Thats almost 25% difference from the U90 price so it was a DONE Deal.. told him to write it up and now im the new proud owner of the Sportblock 9.0 Stage II kit with a Stand!! With taxes the price difference would've been about +$200 for the U90. I couldn't be happier.. been working out on it since last weekend and i'm loving this more than my old pro's and more than the U-90 since i got a really great deal on it Brand New! its the same max weight of 90lbs but yet almost $200 cheaper!

I actually like the gray finish better on it as well as its different from the traditional black plates that I was used to. Durable paint on it and doesn't chip very easy. I also like the shinier color to the 9.0 set. I have included pictures in my review via my link below. Feel free to check them out...

flickr.com/photos/daryl_chicago/

You'll also notice that i have a Bowflex 5.1 Selecttech Bench and while I do love it, it takes up considerable space in my condo. I am thinking of buying the Ironmaster Superbench due to its versatility and small footprint. Any deals on those?? Let me know...

thanks,

DC
    Goals: 195lbs by April 1, 2011

WINNERS MINDSET:
    - Winners set their goals, commit themselves and DO IT.
    - Winners make commitments.
    - Winners act.
    - Winners control circumstances.
    - Winners are motivated by successful end results.
    - Winners do what they fear.
    - Winners look at why something can and will work.

dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000) dskoo65 is just really nice. (+1000)
    id prefer the u90 for the quieter operation, lifetime warranty, and more durability..what turned me off was i feel the sportblock 9.0 is already plenty big, but the U90's are wider and taller...granted, not by much but its noticeable...they are some huge looking dumbbells.
    "ive made the most impressive gains when i spent months with the heavy dumbbells and left the power rack cowering in the corner like the b**ch that it is"-anonymous

"sometimes when a mans alone, thats all you got is your dog"

"he fakes to the left. no. he fakes to the right. he doesnt fake. he thinks about faking. he pretends to fake. i dont know where i am. i cant breathe"

Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am considering a set of U-90s after having owned, and then sold, some original #125 Classics (back when they were a single plate at each level, welded by hand, and made in Minnesota--ugh! Mistake). This review and photos helped considerably, Unbroken. The experience of others is quite helpful. The U-series appears to be the "flagship" model for Powerblock now.

Can anyone please update their experience with the U series. How are they standing up to use? How is that "Flex technology"? Do they get wimpy over time, or are they still stout and strong, sliding into one another well. Finally, how about the U90 Tier III expander to #125 lbs. each. Is it useful, and can the weights be used without excessive flex at that weight level? :-)
    Thanks for your support and advice. --Sven

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can stop bumping the same old threads, and just ask all your questions in one. The U90 series is the flagship series, if you have ever been to a local retailer you would know right away when picking one up that they SCREAM quality. I have owned every series: from ancient 'The Block', to the Classic 45lb, Sport Series, U90 Stage II, and my wife has the 24lb cute version. The U90's are by far the best series made, but I wouldn't go past the 'Stage II' because the third stage is a waste of time with limited weight changes. They flex technology has held up well, they are not easy to break or damage even with decent drops, they hold re-sell value like no other if you ever pickup a full set of DB's, and they back their work with a lifetime warranty.

Now get off the fence and get your order placed, I highly doubt you will regret buying them.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coolkayaker1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Doesn't anyone own and have experience with the PM #125lb Urethane add-on kit?
    Last edited by Coolkayaker1; 01-12-2015 at 07:04 AM.

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    (SMH)

The consensus here is, that the Powerblock U90's are great that all the 'Expansion Kits' are just as stable as the rest. The 'flex' technology does not affect usage, I think you will hardly notice it given as they are screwed tighter and retain the square shape for the most part. The biggest drawback to the Stage III is they have larger handles and past 90lbs you get increments that jump from 102.5, 105, 107.5 ---(HUGE GAP)--- 120, 122.5, and then 125 lbs per hand. It would be more beneficial to get the U90 Stage II and use it to build your strength, then watch CL for a set of heavy DB's 95lbs and up if you absolutely have to have them. Personally I don't see the need for 99% of the people out there to have any DB's past 90lbs, given the ability to load a barbell with more weight than any human can lift.

I'm finished now, good luck and happy lifting!

Thanks, UrbanLifter. I appreciate your input.

Everyone's situation is different, hence singular advice does not apply to all forum members. Three things about me: A. I live in a high-rise condo and cannot have a barbell, weight plates, weight trees, cages, etc. B. I can afford the PBs. C. I already do some exercises--one-arm bent row, deadlift, etc.--over #90, so I need some form of add-on right out of the box.

Your suggestion of finding DBs on CL seems not to work out from many angles. Although I live outside of Chicago, I find that dumbbells on CL of the #100+ range are extremely uncommon (and thus sell for closer to retail than, say, #20 dumbbells, which are as common as wintertime influenza), sell quickly (before I can get there), and sell for .50/LB as opposed to 1.00/LB new (for non-urethane Hexs). So, to buy a pair at .50/LB, even for the meager six settings that you mention for the PBs, would be $102, $105, $107, $120, $122 and $125, or a total of around $575. The PB kit is $350 including shipping, brand new, lifetime warranty. I would need to find fixed DBs at closer to 0.25 per LB to break even with the cost of the PB Stage III package, and besides using up my entire room for storage, there would be no gains at all in the step-wise progression; in the example here, we have added no other weight tiers with the fixed dumbbells, we used the same ones available on the PBs. To add weight tiers (e.g. #110 #112, #115, etc.) with used fixed dumbbells would be astronomically expensive, take up my entire exercise room, and the odds of finding those precisely-incremented, high-weight DBs for sale, used, would be as likely as Jessica Biel dumping Timberlake to have my babies. It's not going to happen.

I appreciate your thought that the Stage III kit would be fine over time, and it may be; no limp weights, no drooping. But it is noted that the older add-on kits include the finicky side clamp that must be added at #100-#125 range--that awkward extra underneath black "boot" followed by the side piece with the red rubber tip that looks like something from a gynecologist's office. The Urethanes seem not to have those, but it's unclear why they would not need more support (even if the longer colored rails are more robust, they are still longer and flexible). That is what I am trying to determine, especially since it appears that PB has unceremoniously discontinued the XXXL model after only two years or so (no word from PB as to why, or if it is permanently dropped from their model line-up) so we are left guessing if it was a functional issue, a safety issue, or simply a lack of sales.

Thanks for any input anyone has (esp. those with a Stage III kit), and thanks for yours, Urban.
    Last edited by Coolkayaker1; 01-12-2015 at 12:31 PM.

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You're inferring and making assumptions. It's a different design. The U-90 expansion requires an additional set of taller handles to accommodate the additional increments. The taller handles are swapped in for weights over 90lbs. On the older sets, the extra increments used a tray with a clamp when it ran out of room on the handles. It doesn't mean that a tray is necessary to support the weight. Even the Sport 5.0 and 5.5 had a tray (discontinued) and they didn't go past 85 lbs if I recall correctly. The U-90 design is superior. Go check them out at a store. You should be able to find them locally if you are near Chicago. I've seen the U-90 expansion but I don't own one. Too pricey retail and I've never seen them on Craigslist.
    Last edited by morebarbell; 01-12-2015 at 12:42 PM.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Not inferring; asking.

Thanks, morebarbells.

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Buying an all in one set retail is an option. You're in a good Craigslist area. A much more active Craigslist area than mine (up north of you) so you might keep an eye out. Another option is buying more than one set. I've bought Ironmasters up to 120 and Powerblock U-90s on Craigslist for less than either one would cost retail...More than once.

For what it's worth, I never liked the tray system and I wasn't a big fan of the older sets. I love the U-90s (and the U-50s). If the expansion was as easy to find on Craigslist, I'd buy it. But for me, it's easier and cheaper to buy the Ironmasters on Craigslist.

If you absolutely can't have a barbell, what are you going to do for legs?
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Legs

Hi, morebarbell.

Thanks for your post. I agree with you about CL Chicago (I'm in a western suburb) being active--but I never see PBs greater than #50 set (which I still own, the #5-#45 The Block, circa 1999--at least I wasn't foolish enough to sell those along with my original #125 PB Classics). I have tried Fitness Warehouse, Dick's Sports, and never see anything other than the PB starter sets. It's depressing. I've got 2 PLayItAgainSports within 20 miles of me, and I will check those, but that's a pretty big shot in the dark (and, since they're unlikely to have the set I want, which is either the Elites or the Urethanes, then I'm likely to come out empty-handed). If you scored your IMs and PB U-90s both on CL, then you have done very wll for yourself. If I stay patient, maybe something will turn up. I'm not opposed to buying from PB, even at their nosebleed prices, MB, for the warranty. It's a lifelong purchase (I'm going to have my dead body cast out to sea with the PBs wrapped around my ankles!).

You mention the Stage III kit and, if you ever saw it on CL, you'd buy it. I hear you--although if it was ever on CL it'd be with the whole set, which you no longer need. One reason to buy it, even if selling some other stuff on CL to buy it for $350, would be in the event that PB stops making the add-on set. Who knows (ask the people who own XXXLs...lol).

You have a great point about legs. I'm always limited on lunges and stuff by my hands and arms giving out before my legs. I'm going to suffer along with dumbbell workouts (like Mike Chang's "Crazy Leg Workout" on youtube--forum won;t let me put a link until 50 posts) and running the stairs in my condo building.

Maybe you don't need the Stage III kit since you have scored the IMs? Don't those go to #165 with the add-on? Curious...if someone said you can have one add-on, which would it be, IM or PB? Sounds like ur a IM man. Cool. Thanks.
    Last edited by Coolkayaker1; 01-12-2015 at 06:39 PM.

I like both. I use the U-90s to 90 and the Ironmasters to 120. For me, it was a matter of what was available on Craigslist. Both have their pluses and minuses. I'm glad that I don't have to choose. I've actually owned several sets of each brand and several different models of the Powerblocks. For example... My current set of U-90s was actually store bought but I bought the store credit for 50% off on Craigslist (an unwanted Christmas gift certificate). I sold the used set that I already had and came out ahead. There was nothing wrong with the used set... I doubt I could tell the difference... but I got the warranty (which I doubt I'll ever need). I didn't have a stand though so I bought another set of U-90s on Craigslist for the stand and sold the dumbbells. I bought them for ridiculously cheap so I came out ahead. Etc. Similar story for the Ironmasters.

I don't know the stores in Chicago but I know there are a LOT more of them. There's even a store that stocks the Ironmasters which is very uncommon. I do know 2nd wind Exercise and Scheels have the Urethane Powerblocks. I don't know if those stores have locations near you. Last summer Scheels had the Powerblocks on sale, which is fairly uncommon.

I'm not sure if the XXL are all discontinued. They still have the "club set" on their website. It's possible that they just haven't taken it down but it's also possible that they discontinued the home version and intend to continue selling the club version. That's what happened with the U-50s a few years back.

Originally Posted by Coolkayaker1 View Post
    I agree with you about CL Chicago (I'm in a western suburb) being active--but I never see PBs greater than #50 set (which I still own, the #5-#45 The Block, circa 1999--at least I wasn't foolish enough to sell those along with my original #125 PB Classics).
    I checked CL in the Chicago area and there were two sets of 90lb PB's within the past couple weeks, both low $500 range. Along with numerous sets of fixed dB's up to 130lbs. Search both 'Power block' and then 'Powerblock'.

Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    I checked CL in the Chicago area and there were two sets of 90lb PB's within the past couple weeks, both low $500 range. Along with numerous sets of fixed dB's up to 130lbs. Search both 'Power block' and then 'Powerblock'.
    Thanks for checking, UL. I appreciate it. I see one set in Wrigleyville (by the Cubs field) but no stand, no photos (always makes me wonder). I used your advice and tried both spellings and checked the entire midwest, plus FL (Where I have family), no go (one guy in FL has an old max #85 Classic plus bench, but he didn;t answer my email from a week ago). Anyhow, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks, morebarbell, for telling me about your IMs and PBs. Great stuff. You played it right and got good deals.

The Club XXXLs have no Add To Cart button. The home area of website has XXXL only in packages (a home package), which has an add to cart button, but it does not add to cart when one tries it. I actually emailed PB about this--if they are still available--two full days ago, and no reply at all. I wonder about this company; been around a long time, but no ******** updates on their page since 2013, and no email reply to me (or others who have tried). Guess next it's old school: telephone. I'll let you know what I find out.