kpfury has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kpfury has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kpfury has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kpfury has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kpfury has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kpfury has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to not overtrain?

I've been debating whether to post this thread for a while because I have a feeling I'm going to get flamed, but whatever, this is a serious problem for me and I need help, so all comments are welcome...

So I have a major problem w/ overtraining. I work out by myself, and usually have a ton of energy/stamina (partly from supps like White Flood, geranamine, Body Octane, IntrAbolic, and partly because that's just how my brain/body is chemically wired.)

Instead of focusing on a certain number of sets or exercises, I work out based on time (usually 1hr to 1:15 for each major muscle group). So given the above parameters, I'm able to get a ton of reps and sets in during the allotted amount of time.

So a typical chest day goes like this for me:

Incline BB
    135 x 10
    155 x 10
    185 x 8
    205 x 6
    155 x 6

Incline DB
    Angle 1 (flattest incline angle)
    60 x 10
    70 x 8
    80 x 6

Angle 2
    55 x 10
    65 x 8
    75 x 6

Angle 3 (steepest incline angle)
    50 x 10
    60 x 8
    70 x 6

Pushups
    3 x 20

Cable crossovers (I don't do decline, dips or flat bench due to shoulder pain)
    3 sets

Cables (the motion where you go from down to up)
    3 sets

Machine flys
    3 sets

Machine chest press
    3 sets

Pushups (again)
    3 sets til failure

All of the above is done literally over the course of 1hr - 1:15. Also, after the chest session I'll hit triceps (skull crushers, tricep extension, cable pushdowns) and traps for another 20-30 minutes.

I KNOW I'm overtraining and doing a shietload way too many reps/sets, but I can't get myself to stop. I have so much energy/focus/endurance, if I only did the recommended 12 sets for each major muscle group, I'd be done in 30 minutes and still have a crazy pump and surge going. I do similar overtraining workouts for back and legs (which include deadlifts, squats, leg press, bent rows, pullups, etc)

My question is how do you guys work out only 12 sets over the course of an hour? For those of you doing the math, I honestly rest approx 1 - 1.5 minutes between each set.

** btw I very recently adopted a workout regimen where I do 2 major body parts each training day, forcing me to cut back on # of sets per muscle group since I'm hitting 2 groups over the same amount of time. Below is my new schedule, feedback would be much appreciated:

Day 1 (back/legs)
    squat x 4
    bent row x 3
    seated high-row lever x 3
    lunges x 3
    calves x 3
    biceps
    abs

Day 2 (chest/shoulders)
    incline bench x 4
    pushups x 3
    decline DB flys x 3
    DB front raise x 3
    DB rear lateral raise x 3
    flat chest machine x 3
    triceps
    cardio

Day 3 rest

Day 4 (back/legs)
    deadlifts x 4
    leg press x 3
    leg extensions x 3
    lat pulldowns x 3
    cable rows x 3
    calves x 3
    biceps
    abs

Day 5 (chest/shoulders)
    military press x 4
    incline DB press x 3
    pushups x 3
    cables crossover x 3
    reverse fly - shoulders x 3
    triceps
    cardio

Day 6
    abs
    cardio

Day 7 (rest)
    Last edited by kpfury; 02-03-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Whisky is on a distinguished road. (+10) Whisky is on a distinguished road. (+10) Whisky is on a distinguished road. (+10) Whisky is on a distinguished road. (+10) Whisky is on a distinguished road. (+10) Whisky is on a distinguished road. (+10) Whisky is on a distinguished road. (+10) Whisky is on a distinguished road. (+10) Whisky is on a distinguished road. (+10) Whisky is on a distinguished road. (+10) Whisky is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ...go heavier?

Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) Koaia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't think you know what overtraining is.

kpfury has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kpfury has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kpfury has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kpfury has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kpfury has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kpfury has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
    ...go heavier?
    and take more time to recover between sets?

Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Koaia View Post
    I don't think you know what overtraining is.
    This

BamBamBeano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BamBamBeano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BamBamBeano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BamBamBeano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BamBamBeano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BamBamBeano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BamBamBeano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BamBamBeano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BamBamBeano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BamBamBeano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BamBamBeano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't think that you are DEFINITELY overtraining at all. If you are only doing chest once a week than I would say you are giving yourself enough time to recover before you do chest again.

JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JK29 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Man, scrap your program and get on a simpler one. Ripptoes, Madcow, 5/3/1, Max-OT.... something. Get on a program that has been created by someone who's been in the game for a while. When your starting out it's better not to create your own. That's where alot of people, myself included, went wrong. You need to be focusing on the compound lifts. (Squats, Dead-lifts, Bench, Shoulder press, Rows, Power Cleans, etc)

Remember you "build" muscle at home not in the gym. You need to give your body plenty of rest. AND food. Also get your 8 hours at night.

Stop takin all those supps too. The only supps you need right now are the ones you can find at the grocery store, and maybe some whey protein. Get yourself on a good diet. <<<<Supper Important....

Try and keep your workouts from 45-60min.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kpfury View Post
    So I have a major problem w/ overtraining. (snip)

Incline BB
    135 x 10
    155 x 10
    185 x 8
    205 x 6
    155 x 6

Incline DB
    Angle 1 (flattest incline angle)
    60 x 10
    70 x 8
    80 x 6

Angle 2
    55 x 10
    65 x 8
    75 x 6

Angle 3 (steepest incline angle)
    50 x 10
    60 x 8
    70 x 6

Pushups
    3 x 20

Cable crossovers (I don't do decline, dips or flat bench due to shoulder pain)
    Wait, stop right there. You need to get that figured out since it sounds like a form issue if you can bench incline but not flat.

3 sets

Cables (the motion where you go from down to up)
    3 sets

Machine flys
    3 sets

Machine chest press
    3 sets

Pushups (again)
    3 sets til failure

All of the above is done literally over the course of 1hr - 1:15. Also, after the chest session I'll hit triceps (skull crushers, tricep extension, cable pushdowns) and traps for another 20-30 minutes.

I KNOW I'm overtraining and doing a shietload way too many reps/sets, but I can't get myself to stop.
    I don't think you're overtraining.

I have so much energy/focus/endurance, if I only did the recommended 12 sets for each major muscle group, I'd be done in 30 minutes and still have a crazy pump and surge going.
    Yeah, you aren't lifting enough weight.

My question is how do you guys work out only 12 sets over the course of an hour? For those of you doing the math, I honestly rest approx 1 - 1.5 minutes between each set.
    Easy, I'm squatting close to 650. Just try to squat that heavy with only 1 minute between each set. There's nothing written in stone about 12 sets either, for my ME sessions I typically do more than 12, especially if you count assistance work it's way over 12.

** btw I very recently adopted a workout regimen where I do 2 major body parts each training day, forcing me to cut back on # of sets per muscle group since I'm hitting 2 groups over the same amount of time. Below is my new schedule, feedback would be much appreciated:
    (snip)
    I'm not a fan of your routine, but I don't need to be if it's working for you great.
    Last edited by bigtallox; 02-03-2010 at 01:03 PM.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

great feedback, thx!