ellis12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

what's a good squat for my weight

there are maybe a handful of guys in the weightroom i see do legs on campus. i did 265 7x my last set today. it was the first time i have done squats since High School. Been doing leg press mostly but have decided to do squats first now and then leg press following in a quest to add to my vertical and quickness.

which leads me to my next question. if im looking to gain on my vertical and quickness how many reps should i be doing. for all body parts i've been doing a warm-up of 15, followed by two sets of 6-8.

thanks for any insights.

mp19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ellis12 View Post
    there are maybe a handful of guys in the weightroom i see do legs on campus. i did 265 7x my last set today. it was the first time i have done squats since High School. Been doing leg press mostly but have decided to do squats first now and then leg press following in a quest to add to my vertical and quickness.

which leads me to my next question. if im looking to gain on my vertical and quickness how many reps should i be doing. for all body parts i've been doing a warm-up of 15, followed by two sets of 6-8.

thanks for any insights.
    i think there are other exercises you can do if your main goal is vertical and quickness. maybe more explosive movements like cleans. and jumps ?

a clean is a dead into an overhead press, correct?

by jumps do you mean jump on boxes and over like a 1 foot hurdle side to side?

outside of playing bball daily, i been running up and down 12 flights of stairs and running for 2 min straight on 4% incline on treadmill then resting 2 minutes, doing that 5x. damn 20 min limit.
    Last edited by ellis12; 02-02-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Originally Posted by mp19 View Post
    i think there are other exercises you can do if your main goal is vertical and quickness. maybe more explosive movements like cleans. and jumps ?
    i want to get stronger all around but am really look to gain in those two departments.

on what day would i add these to my routine? legs?

DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    As far as explosives, Power Cleans would help.

It varies on the Squat. I know guys at 175 doing 300+, and guys at 175 doing 185. I guess it would depend on how strong your lower body was to begin with? Just work it up.

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Since Rip came up .. look up "starting strength" and "practical programming"
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50) dutter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    thats a pretty good squat for your frame. just continue to work on getting stronger. squats are great for explosive power. example: at my height (5'-7") i could only dream about touching the basketball rim. one day fooling around shooting hoops after a workout i jumped up and touched the rim. i was 35 when i did this for the first time. i atribute this explosive power to squats.

rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Look at The picture in brother wolfs signature above and make sure you look like that when you are at the bottom and stay consistent with your form. Then keep adding weight the number is irrelevant unless you are a powerlifter. Dont strive to do more weight than them strive to squat better than them and the weight will come but you will have better results and less injuries.

msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50) msuwo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    These are 1RMs in pounds, for both a 198lb man and 220lb man. I think you fall somewhere between that.
    Body weight /// Un-trained /// Novice /// Intermediate /// Advanced /// Elite
    198 /// 125 /// 232 /// 285 /// 387 /// 504
    220 /// 132 /// 244 /// 301 /// 409 /// 532

Untrained
    Expected level of strength in a healthy individual who has not trained on the exercise before but can performit correctly. This represents the minimum level of strength required to maintain a reasonable quality of life in a sedentary individual.

Novice
    A person training regularly for a period of 3-9 months. This strength level supports the demands of vigorous recreational activities.

Intermediate
    A person who has engaged in regular training for up to two years. The intermediate level indicates some degree of specialization in the exercises and a high level of performance at the recreational level.

Advanced
    An individual with multi-year training experience with definite goals in the higher levels of competitive athletics.

Elite
    Refers specifically to athletes competing in strength sports. Less than 1% of the weight training population will attain this level.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...hStandards.htm
    "Look at yourself in the mirror each morning before you go to the gym; that's the guy you want to beat every time."
    Bench: 5x235
    Squat: 5x275
    Deadlift: 5x315
    ***Gettingitdun17 "You don't bench 245" crew***

Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000)
    For me today a good squat was down to the toilet. Yes I like my own jokes.

tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    on what day would i add these to my routine? legs?
    For athletics there's no body part consideration (leg day. arm day etc). The whole point of athletics is to get your body moving quickly, powerfully and accurately. You can't get that groove by splitting "parts". They all have to work together. That is why a power clean was suggested, it works the entire body as a unit for explosive, accurate power. A split that is used most is an upper/lower split.

Bodybuilding protocols are not what you want for faster, higher, stronger.

Decent examples:
    http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/articles.html if you want higher and faster.
    http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/templates.html

http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/WS4SB.pdf WS4SB a conjugated "westside-ish" strength programme you might like because it uses all the popular bodybuilding exercises as accessories.
    Last edited by tonester; 02-04-2010 at 04:51 AM.
    "Adapt and overcome."

"Everything you need is inside you."

Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    A good squat is one done with proper technique and more weight than you did the last time.

What are your specific goals? Even the manner in which you squat can have an effect on your ability to develop explosive power.

Registered User AussieTrapezius's Avatar
    AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AussieTrapezius is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Really depends how far you go down. I've seen guys squat heavy weight but only go down 1/4 of the way. But 265 is heavy, good work.

i stuck a chair underneath me and went down till my ass just touched it then exploded up.

looks like im changing up my routine then. can somebody put together a good routine for a basketball player? im in the post about 65% of the time. exercises, sets, reps, diet. i really want to win intermaurals this year and next year. we won last night 86-45. 36 minute running clock. they called slaughter rule for the last 2 and change.

i've got the cardio set. i play everyday, run 2 min straight on 4% incline then do walk at 3.5 mph for 2 min. repeat 5x. run 12 flights of stairs 5-7x. go up 12 flights of stairs by 2 steps at a time. 5-7x. i got the cardio down.

how about plyometrics. i got lot of stuff i can jump over and around.

my legs and traps are probably my two strongest muscles/groups right now. triceps and biceps are developing, as well. however, my chest is being a pain. how do i work that up?

i can get more lean, as well. should i cut calories, not eat after certain hours, be sure to eat a small breakfast to get my metobolism going early in the day off sleep.

* i jump off one foot when i drive. off two when i shot a jumpshot, rebound or using a post move.
    Last edited by ellis12; 02-04-2010 at 09:37 PM.

plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000)

thanks for any insights.
    To me weightlifting is ALL about progression. Squatting 275 for reps is pretty decent UNLESS you've been squatting the same weight/reps for months. Keep adding 10 lbs week and 'force' your body to lift more.

Personally, I like to alternate front squats withe back squats every other week. With back squats I feel it more in my inner thighs and hammies, where front squats hammer my quads hard
    currently cutting..... again!!

"most people have absolutely no idea what they're capable of" --me

tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    looks like im changing up my routine then. can somebody put together a good routine for a basketball player? im in the post about 65% of the time. exercises, sets, reps, diet. i really want to win intermaurals this year and next year. we won last night 86-45. 36 minute running clock. they called slaughter rule for the last 2 and change.

i've got the cardio set. i play everyday, run 2 min straight on 4% incline then do walk at 3.5 mph for 2 min. repeat 5x. run 12 flights of stairs 5-7x. go up 12 flights of stairs by 2 steps at a time. 5-7x. i got the cardio down.

how about plyometrics. i got lot of stuff i can jump over and around.
    You need to check these out. Your answer is in there. It seems that you know what you need but not how to put it all together. Study this sh!te and apply what you want to one of the templates in the WS4SB PDF.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...cal-jumps.html at the top of this page I placed "basketball" into the search field and got a whole bunch of good info from DeFrancos archives. Check this out. http://www.google.com/search?hq=inur...m%2F&x=23&y=10

http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/WS4SB.pdf WS4SB a conjugated "westside-ish" strength programme you might like because it uses all the popular bodybuilding exercises as accessories.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/articles.html if you want higher and faster.
    http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/templates.html

my legs and traps are probably my two strongest muscles/groups right now. triceps and biceps are developing, as well. however, my chest is being a pain. how do i work that up?
    I'm all for wanting my parts to look good but they won't help you win unless they all play nice together.

i can get more lean, as well. should i cut calories, not eat after certain hours, be sure to eat a small breakfast to get my metobolism going early in the day off sleep.
    Don't cut until you've given your new plans a go. If you give this stuff a good shot of intensity, you may need to up your intake. And don't eat a small breakfast, eat a big one
    Last edited by tonester; 02-05-2010 at 03:58 AM.
    "Adapt and overcome."

"Everything you need is inside you."

Lukef72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

High school freshman

Im a freshman in high school and i need to gain strength and muscle weight for varsity football next year. I currently weigh 182 and i squat 245, deadlift 315 and bench 155, any tips are greatly appreciated.

No help for this one.... Squid24's Avatar
    Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Lukef72 View Post
    Im a freshman in high school and i need to gain strength and muscle weight for varsity football next year. I currently weigh 182 and i squat 245, deadlift 315 and bench 155, any tips are greatly appreciated.
    LOL...good first post in the Over 35 with a thread that saw no activity for 5 almost 6 yrs...lol.

You are a freshman in high school (19 yrs old). I have a whole list of programs in my sig. You might be better off with an Upper/Lower program which you will find there also.
    My Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170367151&page=50

"Muff divers local #69.....no muff too tough....we dive at five"

Fierce 5 Programs ->https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1266579671#post1266579671

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Squid24 View Post
    LOL...good first post in the Over 35 with a thread that saw no activity for 5 almost 6 yrs...lol.

You are a freshman in high school (19 yrs old). I have a whole list of programs in my sig. You might be better off with an Upper/Lower program which you will find there also.
    Ha!! at 19, I was starting my sophomore year of college!!
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    When I was 17, I'm pretty sure I had an over-35 IQ.

But not by much.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire