uaintsokool has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uaintsokool has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uaintsokool has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uaintsokool has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uaintsokool has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

weight fluctuation and TRUE weight

Hey guys. First off let me say that the info, advice and opinions i get from this forum is by far the best ive ever gotten from anywhere. now onto the point. i was wondering, how can you tell the difference between your TRUE weight and water weight/other crap in your body fluctuations.

Here is what I have so far
    1/11/10 - 197
    1/18/10 - 194
    1/25/10 - 193
    2/1/10 - 190
    and then today i wanted to jump on the scale just for the hell of it (seeing the numbers go down week after week gives me more motivation to keep on going with all this hard work) and today it says I am back up to 193.

is the 3 pounds in 1 day just a fluctuation or do you think my 190 was a fluctuation?

and just today i started taking my thigh and stomach measurements to see if thats a better way to track fat/weight loss

Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nab0610 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    well if you took in a lot of carbs that day and drank a lot of water, carbs retain water and would increase your water weight. The opposite could have been true on the day before that too.

I wouldn't fret about it either way if your still at 193 in a week than you might want to consider adding more exercise to your workouts or cutting cals a bit more.

As far as I know there is no real true way to tell the difference between water weight and regular weight. I simply try to weigh in once a week under about the same conditions. My number one rule is that no matter what the scale does if I've been eating good and working out good I'm going to ignore it at least for that weigh in.

Results can be seen through pictures best if you ask me. I take one a week.

coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000) coolspin27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey bud make sure you are getting on the scale at the same time every day.... in the morning. And yes water weight does fluctuate but that does not mean your not losing weight. If your eating right and in a deficit. You are losing weight. It is not possible not too... if that makes any sense.

uaintsokool has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uaintsokool has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uaintsokool has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uaintsokool has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) uaintsokool has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Nab0610 View Post
    well if you took in a lot of carbs that day and drank a lot of water, carbs retain water and would increase your water weight. The opposite could have been true on the day before that too.

I wouldn't fret about it either way if your still at 193 in a week than you might want to consider adding more exercise to your workouts or cutting cals a bit more.

As far as I know there is no real true way to tell the difference between water weight and regular weight. I simply try to weigh in once a week under about the same conditions. My number one rule is that no matter what the scale does if I've been eating good and working out good I'm going to ignore it at least for that weigh in.

Results can be seen through pictures best if you ask me. I take one a week.
    yea i think im gonna start taking pics too. but that last line you said about ignoring what the scale says I cant do that. mentally i feel like the scale is telling me the truth even though i know that the whole week i did good with food and exercise but im gonna try my hardest to beat that

surefooted is on a distinguished road. (+10) surefooted is on a distinguished road. (+10) surefooted is on a distinguished road. (+10) surefooted is on a distinguished road. (+10) surefooted is on a distinguished road. (+10) surefooted is on a distinguished road. (+10) surefooted is on a distinguished road. (+10) surefooted is on a distinguished road. (+10) surefooted is on a distinguished road. (+10) surefooted is on a distinguished road. (+10) surefooted is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by uaintsokool View Post
    yea i think im gonna start taking pics too. but that last line you said about ignoring what the scale says I cant do that. mentally i feel like the scale is telling me the truth even though i know that the whole week i did good with food and exercise but im gonna try my hardest to beat that
    I know what you mean, so if you are going to use the scale like that, make sure you are consistent on when you do (ie. Monday mornings at 7).

However, the mirror and how your clothes fit will always be a better progress indicator than the scale.
    Member of the "former 400lbs+ club"

maaks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maaks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maaks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maaks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maaks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can't tell the difference. You can reduce this variation by measuring your weight just 1 time a week, at the same time, and at the same conditions, has still yet the fact you can be a bit bloated or dehydrated. The clothes are a better way, but it isn't that accurate. And photos... well, your own opinion may be biased, so ask someone out there, that you trust, to tell you too.

luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by surefooted View Post
    I know what you mean, so if you are going to use the scale like that, make sure you are consistent on when you do (ie. Monday mornings at 7).

However, the mirror and how your clothes fit will always be a better progress indicator than the scale.
    THIS^^^^

Don't obsess over minor fluctuations.
    “Why do you stay in prison when the door is wide open? ” — Jalal ad-Din Rumi, Persian poet and mystic

gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gpalsbo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I always weigh myself in my pajamas after my morning pee (when I am wearing the least crap and water levels are lowest)

AppleCat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AppleCat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AppleCat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AppleCat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AppleCat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AppleCat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AppleCat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AppleCat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AppleCat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AppleCat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AppleCat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Minor fluctuations?

Ha, I can go to bed at 233. I will wake up and take a quick urine trip and weigh myself; I am at 228. I didn't pee out 5 lbs worth. Am I doing that much running in my dreams??

My weight is always fluctuating--day to day, week by week. The general trend of fluctuation is on a decrease though. Even then, I haven't paid much attention to it as I can see the difference in the mirror as time goes on.

Static12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Static12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Static12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Static12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Static12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Static12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Static12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Static12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Static12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Static12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Static12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AppleCat View Post
    Minor fluctuations?

Ha, I can go to bed at 233. I will wake up and take a quick urine trip and weigh myself; I am at 228. I didn't pee out 5 lbs worth. Am I doing that much running in my dreams??

My weight is always fluctuating--day to day, week by week. The general trend of fluctuation is on a decrease though. Even then, I haven't paid much attention to it as I can see the difference in the mirror as time goes on.
    Invest in a better scale?

DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavidJr74 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thats why I only weigh myself once a month.

luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50) luv2pump will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Static12 View Post
    Invest in a better scale?
    Hehe.
    “Why do you stay in prison when the door is wide open? ” — Jalal ad-Din Rumi, Persian poet and mystic