Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 5'11", 195 lbs
    BodyPoints: 15
    srm is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit srm's BodySpace

Quinoa Serving Size

I'm currently training and trying to drop a few pounds (between 5-10) and i want to start incorporating more quinoa into my diet. just wondering what a good serving size (cooked) would be? I am exercising at least 5 days a week doing a lot of cardio and resistance training.

i think a cup of cooked quinoa is like 600 calories, that seems like way to much to me... but then this stuff is sooooo good for you i wonder if i should just ignore the calorie count and go with it. by the time you add the rest of your lunch, it could be a high cal meal!

I am following a vegetarian diet, so the protein in quinoa is good too..

Stats: 5'10", 178 lbs
    Rhino83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit Rhino83's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by srm View Post
    I'm currently training and trying to drop a few pounds (between 5-10) and i want to start incorporating more quinoa into my diet. just wondering what a good serving size (cooked) would be? I am exercising at least 5 days a week doing a lot of cardio and resistance training.

i think a cup of cooked quinoa is like 600 calories, that seems like way to much to me... but then this stuff is sooooo good for you i wonder if i should just ignore the calorie count and go with it. by the time you add the rest of your lunch, it could be a high cal meal!

I am following a vegetarian diet, so the protein in quinoa is good too..

I'm currently cutting and eat Quinoa every other day. Your right, it's highly nutritious stuff.
    However, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie...and sometimes if your not counting them even the 'good' stuff can make you gain. The brand I buy (Organic Ancient Harvest) has 205 calories per 57grams (dry)...or about 3/4 cup. That's the portion size I eat. I never measured after cooking them but they probably swell to about 1.5 cups or more.
    You know your body better than anyone else...so you can try a specific portion size for a while and see what happens (watch the scale, mirror..etc..)...or start counting calories.

Hope that helps!

Stats: 5'11", 195 lbs
    BodyPoints: 15
    srm is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit srm's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Rhino83 View Post
    I'm currently cutting and eat Quinoa every other day. Your right, it's highly nutritious stuff.
    However, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie...and sometimes if your not counting them even the 'good' stuff can make you gain. The brand I buy (Organic Ancient Harvest) has 205 calories per 57grams (dry)...or about 3/4 cup. That's the portion size I eat. I never measured after cooking them but they probably swell to about 1.5 cups or more.
    You know your body better than anyone else...so you can try a specific portion size for a while and see what happens (watch the scale, mirror..etc..)...or start counting calories.

Hope that helps!
    Interesting, the kind i have at home is ~150 cal per 1/4cup. I wonder how the calorie count can be so different between brands... it is a grain and all.

That's pretty helpful though, i think i'm going to aim for 1cup of cooked quinoa and go from there.

Thanks!