24/7 Customer Service 1-866-236-8417 Need Help? 1-866-236-8417

Stats: 5'11", 195 lbs
    BodyPoints: 15
    srm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Visit srm's BodySpace

Quinoa Serving Size

I'm currently training and trying to drop a few pounds (between 5-10) and i want to start incorporating more quinoa into my diet. just wondering what a good serving size (cooked) would be? I am exercising at least 5 days a week doing a lot of cardio and resistance training.

i think a cup of cooked quinoa is like 600 calories, that seems like way to much to me... but then this stuff is sooooo good for you i wonder if i should just ignore the calorie count and go with it. by the time you add the rest of your lunch, it could be a high cal meal!

I am following a vegetarian diet, so the protein in quinoa is good too..

Stats: 5'10", 178 lbs
    Rhino83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Visit Rhino83's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by srm View Post
    I'm currently training and trying to drop a few pounds (between 5-10) and i want to start incorporating more quinoa into my diet. just wondering what a good serving size (cooked) would be? I am exercising at least 5 days a week doing a lot of cardio and resistance training.

i think a cup of cooked quinoa is like 600 calories, that seems like way to much to me... but then this stuff is sooooo good for you i wonder if i should just ignore the calorie count and go with it. by the time you add the rest of your lunch, it could be a high cal meal!

I am following a vegetarian diet, so the protein in quinoa is good too..

I'm currently cutting and eat Quinoa every other day. Your right, it's highly nutritious stuff.
    However, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie...and sometimes if your not counting them even the 'good' stuff can make you gain. The brand I buy (Organic Ancient Harvest) has 205 calories per 57grams (dry)...or about 3/4 cup. That's the portion size I eat. I never measured after cooking them but they probably swell to about 1.5 cups or more.
    You know your body better than anyone else...so you can try a specific portion size for a while and see what happens (watch the scale, mirror..etc..)...or start counting calories.

Hope that helps!

Stats: 5'11", 195 lbs
    BodyPoints: 15
    srm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Visit srm's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Rhino83 View Post
    I'm currently cutting and eat Quinoa every other day. Your right, it's highly nutritious stuff.
    However, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie...and sometimes if your not counting them even the 'good' stuff can make you gain. The brand I buy (Organic Ancient Harvest) has 205 calories per 57grams (dry)...or about 3/4 cup. That's the portion size I eat. I never measured after cooking them but they probably swell to about 1.5 cups or more.
    You know your body better than anyone else...so you can try a specific portion size for a while and see what happens (watch the scale, mirror..etc..)...or start counting calories.

Hope that helps!
    Interesting, the kind i have at home is ~150 cal per 1/4cup. I wonder how the calorie count can be so different between brands... it is a grain and all.

That's pretty helpful though, i think i'm going to aim for 1cup of cooked quinoa and go from there.

Thanks!