New2Building is on a distinguished road. (+10) New2Building is on a distinguished road. (+10) New2Building is on a distinguished road. (+10) New2Building is on a distinguished road. (+10) New2Building is on a distinguished road. (+10) New2Building is on a distinguished road. (+10) New2Building is on a distinguished road. (+10) New2Building is on a distinguished road. (+10) New2Building is on a distinguished road. (+10) New2Building is on a distinguished road. (+10) New2Building is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Is it good to stretch before or after a workout?

Hi everyone,

I usually stretch out my legs pretty well before a workout. I used to have knee problems and my physio told me it was due to tight muscles connecting to my knee cap.

So I do the stretches he recommended before every workout and they help to keep my knees in check.

I wanted to as is it good to do this before or after a workout?

Following Rippetoes the first exercise of every workout for me is the good old Squat. I do think if i didn't stretch before the squat it wouldn't be able to squat properly.. But then some do say stretching slightly weakens the muscles?

What do you guys think?

Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Exdee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by New2Building View Post
    Hi everyone,

I usually stretch out my legs pretty well before a workout. I used to have knee problems and my physio told me it was due to tight muscles connecting to my knee cap.

So I do the stretches he recommended before every workout and they help to keep my knees in check.

Following Rippetoes the first exercise of every workout for me is the good old Squat. I do think if i didn't stretch before the squat it wouldn't be able to squat properly.. But then some do say stretching slightly weakens the muscles?

What do you guys think?
    Stretching is gewd ! Warms up muscles, improves flexibility + range of motion. Lubricates joints and stuff

Ideally, you should do stretches before AND after a workout..

For pre-workout search for pre-stretches.. Stretch out the muscles your gonna be using. So in rippletoes your gonna want to stretch out quads, glutes, hamstrings, deltoids, chest, well.. there's quite a lot you can stretch

For after your workout try some maintenence or developmental stretches.. Maintenance stretches will return your muscles to their normal length and developmental is going to increase range of motion and flexibility for future workouts..

Do some searches on pre and post stretches.. they give lots of benefits
    “Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it.”

-Albert Einstein

Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000)
    I ALWAYS stretch before lifting

I've been running Rippetoes for 6 months now and stretching really helps my legs get warmed up and ready to squat again.

I normally spend 5-10 minutes stretching every day, feels good :P
    Starting Strength... Again! - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172893

6 Month Beginner Starting Strength Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118409981

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My take on this is the same as the old time strongmen.

They never stretched before lifting. They did lighter low rep or single lifts to ramp up to a big lift. That got them "in the groove", pumped blood into the appropriate muscles, ensured that the range of motion was available.

So why did they not do any kind of serious static stretching before?

There are two main reasons:

1. You are weaker after your muscles are stretched. Much harder to generate high tension in a stretched muscle.

2. It is hard to "stay tight" under a big lift.

So for safety reasons, do any serious stretching AFTER your workout.

You are more likely to overstretch a cold muscle anyway.

Exceptions?

Sure. I do Dante's(Doggcrapp) shoulder mobilizer before my workout if my shoulders are achy. This is where you grab a broomhandle with a snatch grip, and move it from the front over your head and back down to touch your back. He recommends 50 reps when you are able. This pumps blood into all the shoulder muscles, including the invisible ones, without traumatizing them.

It is not a static stretch. Nor is it exactly dynamic. You do it slow and steady. Staple of all the olympic lifters who can do the full squat snatch, and the overhead squat. I can do the last two now.....with an empty bar, lol.

Not too long ago, I couldn't raise my hands overhead without pain, my shoulders were so tight/impingement issues.

I can now palm the floor, legs locked, without any preamble. Am actually more flexible than I was years ago when I did karate and stretched all the time. But then I do full range moves for the most part, free weights.

Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I take time to stretch before I go to bed. It seems to have been a tremendous help with DOMS, especially with my chest, shoulder, and triceps.

Other than this, before I lift, I only stretch very briefly as I also do around 3 warmup sets per compound lift.
    My Training Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120696121

grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I do some light stretching before I lift, and usually heavy stretching after. On off days, I stretch most days, usually hamstrings/abductors/adductors/quads/lower back.
    GOMAD!

Pace will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pace will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pace will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pace will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pace will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pace will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pace will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pace will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pace will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pace will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pace will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by New2Building View Post
    Hi everyone,

What do you guys think?
    Yes, it is important to conduct stretches before and after workout period for about 5 minutes. This help your muscles cool down and also warms up before workout.
    There are many warm up exercises you can find in google.
    DNP LOG 200mg
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=7259821

ASR Pheni-500 Review
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=645469

USPlabs PowerFULL LOG
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=641413

USPlabs PowerFULL Review
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=8008477#post8008477

NutraBolics GACH LOG (Will start Soon)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652152