Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Trying to keep muscle development in sync for both arms

Four years ago I broke my left arm at my wrist and elbow. As far as I know, my arm seemed to have healed normally.

Two years ago I joined a gym, and about a year ago got more serious about building strength as well as loosing the fat I've gained over the years. My question here is about strength and muscle development in both of my arms. I've reached a level where I know I could go further with my right arm, like when doing reps with something like dumbbell curls. However, my left arm is my limiting factor. Of course I don't want to develop one arm more noticably than the other, but I'm really frustrated with having to wait. Perhaps its because I'm older that I have to wait so long, but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help strengthen my left arm so that I can move forward with more weight with both? Or do I just have to accept that I've hit a limit and that will be it?

rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rob440 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I would give it some extra work alone. Sneak in some one arm dumbell curls on a day when you are training something else besides arms. Work hard on feeling the muscle of the weaker arm to create a better mental connection to it. Really concentrate on your form and feel it. After some time doing this you should get back on track. The same thing goes for triceps if they are lagging do one arm dumbell extensions or cable pushdowns.
    Last edited by rob440; 01-31-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Quitting is not an option thepainter5's Avatar
    thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000) thepainter5 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by rob440 View Post
    I would give it some extra work alone. Sneak in some one arm dumbell curls on a day when you are training something else besides arms. Work hard on feeling the muscle of the weaker arm to create a better mental connection to it. Really concentrate on your form and feel it. After some time doing this you should get back on track. The same thing goes for triceps if they are lagging do one arm dumbell extensions or cable pushdowns.
    I agree with rob440.

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Doctor-Who View Post
    Four years ago I broke my left arm at my wrist and elbow. As far as I know, my arm seemed to have healed normally.

Two years ago I joined a gym, and about a year ago got more serious about building strength as well as loosing the fat I've gained over the years. My question here is about strength and muscle development in both of my arms. I've reached a level where I know I could go further with my right arm, like when doing reps with something like dumbbell curls. However, my left arm is my limiting factor. Of course I don't want to develop one arm more noticably than the other, but I'm really frustrated with having to wait. Perhaps its because I'm older that I have to wait so long, but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to help strengthen my left arm so that I can move forward with more weight with both? Or do I just have to accept that I've hit a limit and that will be it?
    Use barbell your arm will catch up with time
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) maggioracing has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You're not alone with this problem. My right arm is alittle smaller in diameter than the left. No one really seems to notice it, but I do in pics. Dumbells,dumbells,dumbells. Like the other says said. Concentrate on the form to the weaker arm. My right bicep is slowing growing. I can tell b/c my fitted shirts, the arm cuff is finally tight on both arms.
    In time it will grow.
    Just keep an eye on any movements that cause one arm to pull harder than the other. For me, underhand grip pull downs make the left bicep swell and peak, more than the right. So I'm constantly focusing on the bar sway and keeping it level, and knowing where my elbows are, (forward evenly) more than how much I can lift. I stay away from barbell curls just for this very reason. When I curl, I'm always keeping an eye on where your elbows are , and now the shoulders are (level)--one arm will curl the dumbell with the elbow moving forward , and shoulder down, for a + mechanical advantage. My right arm, the wrist will fall forward (weaker grip), and the elbow will not move anteriorly like my left arm wants to do- thus the left arm with throw the weight up with little effert, and the right arm strains. Ive been at 40lbs dumbells for a few weeks now. I can't move any higher..yet.
    Hope this helps.
    -Frank
    Last edited by maggioracing; 02-01-2010 at 06:35 AM.

Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10) Doctor-Who is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thank you for the feedback

Thank you everyone, for this great feedback!