smautz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What is an ideal weight for my body type?

I am 5'8' 172 lbs. Over the last year, I dropped to 164lbs but put it back on. Dropping weight is really no problem as I have done it in the past. I have a decent amount of muscle under the fat and am a pretty active guy. I can bench about 170 one time.

My question is what would my ideal weight be, I was at 164 and it seemed like there was still a bit of fat before I would see my abs. Im really wondering if I get down to around 155 is this too skinny. I mean my chest is hard as a rock just that there is a layer of fat on it.

My daily intake is 1800 calories, I have a 500 calorie deficit per day via 20 minutes on the treadmill and also less calories.

So here is the summary:

1800 calories, no more than 15g of fat per meal. I try to be around 1500 calories so there is a deficit.

20 minutes on the treadmill per day 7 days per week, burn about 200 calories

weight train 3 days per week, different parts of the body each day

My goal is to have a 6 pack by summer and be toned.

What is an ideal weight for me? I have it down to a science how to lose it.

Let me know what you guys think of my routine and diet.
    Attached Images

heavyd911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyd911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyd911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyd911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyd911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyd911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyd911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyd911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyd911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyd911 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heavyd911 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    IMO 1800 cals is too low, your going to loose the muscle that you do have

Originally Posted by heavyd911 View Post
    IMO 1800 cals is too low, your going to loose the muscle that you do have
    Really, for my weight, everything says 1800, if I want to lose the fat I need a calorie deficit correct? This is what I have done in the past and I lost weight and fat, just never finished losing it because of my job which involves traveling

Sarevok459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarevok459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarevok459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarevok459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarevok459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarevok459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarevok459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarevok459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarevok459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarevok459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sarevok459 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by smautz View Post
    Really, for my weight, everything says 1800, if I want to lose the fat I need a calorie deficit correct? This is what I have done in the past and I lost weight and fat, just never finished losing it because of my job which involves traveling
    1800 is already a deficit in itself (to your recommended daily diet). Pile on 500 calories of cardio burning madness, and you're only left with 1300 in a day?

I am 5'9" and I was able to float around 150 lbs with a 2500+ diet doing little to NOTHING.

I would suggest a 2800ish diet, if you're going to continue the cardio.

If you look at my pics, I have some fat too take off, not much but around 10 or 15 lbs. The only way I can actually lose wait is by eating/working with the 500 calorie deficit with taking in 1800 calories. If I dont, then I dont lose any weight. I have a weird metabolism. If I eat that many calories, I would put on weight.
    Last edited by smautz; 01-31-2010 at 01:59 PM.

bowwow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowwow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowwow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowwow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowwow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bowwow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A lot of people might not agree but I would weight train more than cardio. The more lean muscle you have, the more calories you burn.

bigdoon0073 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    a good goal weight for u would be a shreaded 180

Originally Posted by bowwow View Post
    A lot of people might not agree but I would weight train more than cardio. The more lean muscle you have, the more calories you burn.
    I am actually doing 20 minutes on the treadmill, 3mph walk. Then I do a 3 day split.

The only problem is my lifting has never been that intense, maybe keep the cardio the same and do the weight training more. My weight training only consists of like 4 exercises per day and they do not last that long. I have a free weight bench with 300 lbs of weights and 35lb dumbbells. I also have a dip bar and pull up bar.

Registered User RobMakeEmSayUhh's Avatar
    RobMakeEmSayUhh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobMakeEmSayUhh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobMakeEmSayUhh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobMakeEmSayUhh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobMakeEmSayUhh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobMakeEmSayUhh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobMakeEmSayUhh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobMakeEmSayUhh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobMakeEmSayUhh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobMakeEmSayUhh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RobMakeEmSayUhh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im 5 9 and around 165 and i dont have abs, im thinkin i would have to drop down to about 155 for it. I have been eating around 1800 calories too, but i have been eating definitely 1 g protein per lean mass, and i havent lost muscle from my opinion because all my lifts are going up. But i dont do cardio very often, i just let the diet do the work and lift heavy and hard

VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50) VAnick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you look at my pics, I have some fat too take off, not much but around 10 or 15 lbs. The only way I can actually lose wait is by eating/working with the 500 calorie deficit with taking in 1800 calories. If I dont, then I dont lose any weight. I have a weird metabolism. If I eat that many calories, I would put on weight.
    What answer are you looking for?

The real answer is eat more, lift more. Gain muscle, lose fat.

Post your routine, you say 3x a week, diff muscles each week...sounds like crap. A full body each week 3x/week would be much better for you, IMO.

roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    try this,

eat at your calorie deficit for 1 or 2 weeks, WITHOUT CARDIO(Just lifting and dieting) and see if you lose weight,
    if you do, keep doing that until you stall(stop losing), and then add in cardio,
    you don't want to burn out your metabolism

Originally Posted by VAnick View Post
    What answer are you looking for?

The real answer is eat more, lift more. Gain muscle, lose fat.

Post your routine, you say 3x a week, diff muscles each week...sounds like crap. A full body each week 3x/week would be much better for you, IMO.
    I do the same muscles everyweek, sorry if I mispoke.

Day 1

Incline Bench Press
    Fly
    dips
    close grip bench

Day 2

Bent over row
    pull ups
    shrugs
    curl with bench
    hammer curl

Day 3

squats
    calf raise
    front dumbbell raise
    side lateral raise

roms15, thanks for the advice, I will try that. I have never really concentrated on just lifting but I feel that I should. I have always concentrated on the cardio. Take a look at my routine and let me know if I should add or remove anything. I have a free weigth bench with 300 lbs, it has a curl bar and leg pressure. I have some dumbbells also.

hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hardgainer786 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do the same muscles everyweek, sorry if I mispoke.

Day 1

Incline Bench Press
    Fly
    dips
    close grip bench

Day 2

Bent over row
    pull ups
    shrugs
    curl with bench
    hammer curl

Day 3

squats
    calf raise
    front dumbbell raise
    side lateral raise

roms15, thanks for the advice, I will try that. I have never really concentrated on just lifting but I feel that I should. I have always concentrated on the cardio. Take a look at my routine and let me know if I should add or remove anything. I have a free weigth bench with 300 lbs, it has a curl bar and leg pressure. I have some dumbbells also.
    Sounds good to me. Also, nobody can tell you how much of a deficit you should create. The answer lies within your own progress. Keep tracking you weight loss, and if the scale is going down then good (if losing too much, then increase abit on calories). Also try to increase your protein intake, keep it atleaset 1g/lean body mass as to prevent muscle loss. Once you lose 10-15lb and have solid shredded physique, you can either try to slowly add more muscles to your frame or just keep it at that. BTW you seem to have some good lean mass under the FAT!

Good luck
    "AFGHAN POWER" :)

roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) roms15 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    wait is that all you have?

don't you have a gym membership?

Originally Posted by hardgainer786 View Post
    Sounds good to me. Also, nobody can tell you how much of a deficit you should create. The answer lies within your own progress. Keep tracking you weight loss, and if the scale is going down then good (if losing too much, then increase abit on calories). Also try to increase your protein intake, keep it atleaset 1g/lean body mass as to prevent muscle loss. Once you lose 10-15lb and have solid shredded physique, you can either try to slowly add more muscles to your frame or just keep it at that. BTW you seem to have some good lean mass under the FAT!

Good luck
    I am going to try lifting weights and skipping the cardio and see how that works. Here is my setup, no gym for this guy. You can do just about anything that a gym has with this stuff. Just have to be creative
    Attached Images

LOl thats old school bro

but yeah your split looks fine to me.
    i guess you have to use what you got

Originally Posted by roms15 View Post
    LOl thats old school bro

but yeah your split looks fine to me.
    i guess you have to use what you got
    I have tried gyms, but with 2 kids and traveling for my job, i like to be home. Its nice, I can come on here during my workout if I want to switch it up and get advice. I can also watch videos if I want to try something different, plus I have a stereo i can crank as loud as I want.

So if I start lifting and still have the calorie deficit, how long does it look like it will take to see my abs and take the fat off my chest? My chest is hard, just theres a layer of fat on it. I can lose about 1 to 2 pounds a week no problem with a calorie deficit and lifting.

if you work hard and make sure your nutrition is in check, you could get to 10%bf in 12-15weeks i'd say

just weigh yourself every week at the same time and see if you're losing weight,
    if not then decrease cals and/or up cardio

Originally Posted by roms15 View Post
    if you work hard and make sure your nutrition is in check, you could get to 10%bf in 12-15weeks i'd say

just weigh yourself every week at the same time and see if you're losing weight,
    if not then decrease cals and/or up cardio
    How many reps and sets should I d? I normally do about 6 to 8, 3 sets. My weight is pretty heavy.