mn46 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mn46 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mn46 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mn46 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mn46 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mn46 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mn46 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mn46 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mn46 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mn46 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mn46 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Is this a good workout for an ectomorph.

Day 1: Chest
    4 sets bench press (4-8 reps, no more than 10 reps)
    4 sets incline dumbbell (4-8 reps, no more than 10 reps)
    4 sets dumbbell flys (10-15 reps)

Day 2: Back
    4 sets dumbbell rows (6-10 reps)
    4 sets wide grip pull ups (if you can do a ton of them, add weight to your legs)
    4 sets dead lifts (3-6 reps)

Day 3: Quads
    4 sets barbell squats (4-10 reps)
    4 sets leg press (6-12 reps)
    4 sets hack squats (6-12 reps)
    4 sets leg extensions (8-15 reps)

Day 4: Shoulders
    4 sets dumbbell military press (4-8 reps)
    4 sets barbell military press (6-10 reps)
    3 sets lateral raises (8-15 reps)
    4 sets bar or dumbbell shrugs (6-12 reps)

Day 5: Hamstrings and Calves
    4 sets straight leg dead lifts (5-10 reps)
    4 sets leg press with your feet in a high position on the press (to emphasize hamstrings, 6-12 reps)
    3 sets hamstring curls (6-12 reps)
    4 sets standing calf raises (10-20 reps)
    4 sets seated calf raises (8-15 reps)

Day 6: Arms
    4 sets close grip bench press (4-8 reps)
    4 sets french curls (6-12 reps)
    4 sets dips (as many as you can do)
    4 sets standing barbell curls (4-10 reps)
    4 sets seated alternate dumbbell curls (8-12 reps)
    3 sets concentration curls (8-15 reps)

jAk88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jAk88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    NO! Keep it simple. You don't need to do all that.

I am an ectomorph and have 3 workout days.

1 day chest, tri's, and shoulders.

Two days later legs.

Two days later back, bicepts, traps.

Keep workouts focused mainly on compound exercises, with isolation at the very end. Lift very heavy, as heavy as you can for four or five sets of 4-6.

People expect excuses. John_Ford's Avatar
    John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mn46 View Post

Monday: Legs
    4 sets barbell squats
    4 sets seated calf raises
    4 sets standing calf raises

Wednesday: Chest + Back
    4 sets bench press
    4 sets bent over barbell rows with hands in curling position

Friday: Shoulders + Arms
    4 sets dumbbell military press
    4 sets dips (as many as you can do)
    4 sets standing barbell curls
    I didn't rework your set scheme. I'm not sure where this workout came from, but you'd probably be okay shooting for 8-12 reps on all the exercises except for calves. Calves should be hit with either high reps (30-50) or you could do the reps in a SuperSlow manner. SuperSlow seated calf raises are painful.

Two things to remember if you're an ectomorph--you need more sleep and food than an endo or meso.

Shoot for at least 8 hours of sleep per night, with a afternoon nap, if possible.

One really simple way to add calories is with Silk Chocolate milk. Add a half gallon a day, which should run you under $3, and drink it when you wake up, after your workout, and before you go to bed. Shoot for drinking a whole container per day. That will add 1000 calories to your diet.

Work hard, eat enough, sleep enough, and you should start looking more like a mesomorph after a few months.

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A program that is good for an "ectomorph" is good for a "mesomorph".

I used to be classic ecto. Now I am classic meso. So I don't believe all that ****totyping crap. I even had the thin wrists and hands. Was 130lbs skinny fat for years. My wrists grew over an inch from heavy training....in my fifties! My forearms are thicker than my neck and arms used to be.

Poundage progression in the big basic barbell moves in your profile above your goals will have you looking like a mesomorph in a year. And small joints will make your muscles look freakier when you are much stronger in the big basics and have more muscle.

You shouldn't bother with a split until you are moving some decent iron. Then a simple upper/lower split is the easiest to manage.

SkeptikUKR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In my personal opinion as an 'ectomorph', I feel that you dont need to have a seperate split for arms and shoulders seperately. Or any bodypart split to be honest.

I have noticed more gains doing a workout routine that I wrote, split like this;

-Day 1: Pulls - (Consisting of a variety of rows, wide-grip pullups, chinups etc)

-Day 2: Push/Press - (Inc/Dec Benchpress, Tri-bar extensions, Tri-bar shoulder press)

-Day 3: REST (but do stretches and i personally shadowbox, but thats habit now)

-Day 4: REST (stretches/shadowbox/few sprints if any...)

-Day 5: Multi Compound - (Squats, deadlifts, BB clean & press, abdominal strength work)

-Day 6: REST

-Day 7: REST

This workout really jumpstarts muscle growth and strength in the large muscle groups, but it works the smaller ones as a secondary, which is the way it should be! My arms have grown a LOT since i started using this concept around a month ago. And the growth has been in the thickness of my arms too, not just how 'stuck out' they look from the side...

People expect excuses. John_Ford's Avatar
    John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50) John_Ford will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post

I used to be classic ecto. Now I am classic meso. So I don't believe all that ****totyping crap.
    Oddly enough, all this ecto/meso/endo stuff started with a book called "The Varieties of Human Physique" by Dr. William Sheldon, a psychologist. I got a copy on loan and it was published in the 1940's, if I remember correctly. This was just recently.

The first time I had ever heard of that classification was in the Cybergenics manual in probably 1990.

Over time, this separation of body types has become accepted, but was originally based on some questionable research.

He really makes some bizarre statements about the different body types. Reading some of the book, I was struck by the Nazi-like, eugenic feel of it. That the way we interact intellectually with the world is determined by our muscle and fat and nerve ratios.

I don't like theoretical genetic limitations. I was an ectomorph at 5' 11" and 140 pounds for years. I was 227 two years ago.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Yeah - somotypes are pretty suspect.

Read what chaos & pain has to say about it in his blog. Quite amusing and informative

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Your "routine" is far too complicated. You mention nothing about nutrition, which is where you really need to concentrate your effort.

Here's the best program on this site, along with a link to how to eat like a bodybuilder:
    * Routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

* Mass-Gain Nutrition: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbin...=MassGainDiets
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My own personal philosophy as an ectomorph is that we need to keep things simpler than others, and a routine like the one in the first post is probably something left behind. We need to focus on the following exercises:

Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench Press
    Overhead Press
    Rows or Power Cleans
    Pull-ups
    Bicep Curl
    Tricep Extension
    Crunches or Sit-ups
    Calf Raises

IMO this is roughly based on order of importance, but if you do these 2-3 times a week you're on the right track. Eat to caloric excess until you reach your desired weight, be consistent with diet and exercise, and focus on progress (more weight on the bar).

Exercises like Upright Rows, Shrugs, Lateral Raises, Cable Flyes, French Curls are a waste of time for a beginner, and especially one who is an ectomorph.
    --- Nick ---