pkscouple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question What exercises can I do for glutes when I have bad knees?

My wife wants to compete in a figure competition in June. She's looking great and her progress has been really impressive. She uses the stationary bike and eliptical everyday for leg and cardio. Works legs with weights once per week doing curls and extensions. She also works with bands and does kickbacks and a variety of other hip and quad exercises. The problem is her glutes.

She ran track competitive for 12 years and her knees are shot. Can't squat or do lunges. I don't know how to work the butt without these two. Any help will be greatly appreciated. We really need to tighten up that butt.

mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50) mindblown will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    good mornings, romanian deadlifts, stiff legged deadlifts, glute ham raises, hyper extensions
    basically any exercise where you bend at the hip will work the glutes

maybe she could do box squats, those aren't that hard on the knees (if done properly)

pkscouple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mindblown View Post
    good mornings, romanian deadlifts, stiff legged deadlifts, glute ham raises, hyper extensions

maybe she could do box squats, those aren't that hard on the knees (if done properly)
    Thanks worked legs today, starting light weights. Thanks for input.

darkproton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darkproton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darkproton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darkproton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darkproton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darkproton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

These.
    stiff legged deadlifts, great. also take a cable, strap it to your/her foot. standing erect and facing the mmachine, pull leg/foot back w/o flexing knee

HG_IRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HG_IRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HG_IRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HG_IRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HG_IRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HG_IRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HG_IRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HG_IRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HG_IRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HG_IRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) HG_IRON will become famous soon enough. (+50)

^^^ these also if she has bad knees maybe stop the leg extentions, or do them fairly light

viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50) viperjax will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just keep in mind that the most effective exercises for the glutes do involve some knee stress. Look up Brett Contreras. He has an article on TNation that changed my approach to leg day because of how effective some of the recommendations he made were.