BigAnf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigAnf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigAnf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigAnf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigAnf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigAnf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigAnf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigAnf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigAnf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigAnf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BigAnf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Pros + Cons of being a personal trainer *Reps

Hey personal trainers, im looking to network with like minded people, as i am going to choose a course in personal training...

Can you guys tell me the Pros + Cons of your job please .. for reps

By the way add me to ******** aswell, thanks
    http://www.********.com/simplyshredded
    Last edited by Big_ANF; 01-29-2010 at 02:57 AM.

krazy_kurly is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazy_kurly is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazy_kurly is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazy_kurly is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazy_kurly is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazy_kurly is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazy_kurly is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazy_kurly is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazy_kurly is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazy_kurly is on a distinguished road. (+10) krazy_kurly is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I stopped being a trainer (Bally's) because
    1) You don't get paid to prospect
    2) There was no teamwork/cohesion---the other female trainer hated me, her and the other trainer who had been there forever got all the new members for their first workout because the sales managers gave it to them, they got the phone call list of people who never got their first workouts first, no one would share their how-to or be a mentor...it was very dog-eat-dog
    3) I went in naively, thinking I was there to help members reach their goals...really, I was there to tell them how to spend their money and convince them that I was worth the price...
    4)....and I got 20%, just 20, of what they paid. So I was not very eager to sell, really, because I saw little of it.

Now, pros, I love training people! It is my passion! And if you don't have to pay bills or aren't working for a corporation, maybe you'll have a better experience
    The vision of a champion is someone drenched in sweat, bent over from exhaustion, when no one else is watching. ~Anson Dorrance

Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by krazy_kurly View Post
    2) There was no teamwork/cohesion---the other female trainer hated me, her and the other trainer who had been there forever got all the new members for their first workout because the sales managers gave it to them, they got the phone call list of people who never got their first workouts first, no one would share their how-to or be a mentor...it was very dog-eat-dog
    3) I went in naively, thinking I was there to help members reach their goals...really, I was there to tell them how to spend their money and convince them that I was worth the price...
    4)....and I got 20%, just 20, of what they paid. So I was not very eager to sell, really, because I saw little of it.

Now, pros, I love training people! It is my passion! And if you don't have to pay bills or aren't working for a corporation, maybe you'll have a better experience
    Wow that's a ****ty situation....

Pro's
    If you're in the right place you can make really good $$$
    Its a really fun job I love training people and I love being in the gym.

Cons
    ****ty hours, long hours, late hours, early hours.-That's the case for me at least.
    Extremely flaky people. You'll learn that fast in the fitness industry.
    A.C.E Certified Personal Trainer
    N.E.S.T.A Fitness Nutrition Coach

HOMER: [holds Lisa's suitcase] Somebody's traveling light.
    LISA: Meh. Maybe you're just getting stronger.
    HOMER: Well, I have been eating more.

Squat:560-Raw 565-wraps
    Bench:365-Raw
    Deadlift:555-Raw
    Front Squat-405x2(Raw) 465x1(Wraps)

txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    recommend training on ur own or in a small gym setting, big corporate gyms only for experience.

pros- helping people change their lives , income really is up to you (endless possibilities), if you love the gym and training then its never really work!, you meet new people everyday, and people trust you and count on you (very good feeling)

cons- hours!!!! (forget about ever sleeping in), income is mostly from sales pitch when you first start, it can start off pretty slow and sometimes never pick up (for some people), you meet new people everday , x2 on people are flaky!!!!
    -------------------------------www.Texas-AP.com--------------------------------------
    --------------------- join us on face book: txapn and txapn stefan ---------------------
    --------------------- HOWS THIS GAME GOING TO REMEMBER YOU? ---------------------

I didn't hear no bell! Rap_Rocky's Avatar
    Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by krazy_kurly View Post

This right here pretty much sums up the harsh realities of working for a commercial gym. I experienced the same scenario as a trainer in NY.

If you want to know the pros & cons in depth, I suggest to let us know in which kind of setting, training at a gym or independently?

Briefly, I'll give the plus sides for each:

Gym Pros/Cons
    - Client base supplied, no need to network outside
    - Equipment is already provided for you
    - Benefits, etc. (may vary on employer and whether you're full-time or not)
    - Compensation usually isn't good (most gyms give you 10-50% of what the member actually pays for a session - varies with each gym/level of experience & certification)
    - Pressure to reach a certain commission or amount of money for sessions bought.

Independent Pros/Cons
    - Work at your own hours
    - You have to network to attain a client base
    - More money (no boss to split money with)
    - You have to supply your own equipment
    - May have to file your own taxes, apply for benefits, etc..

Those are just some basic points and there is actually much more pros/cons for each setting.
    I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
    I'm not out there sweating for three hours every day just to find out what it feels like to sweat.

txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ^ perfectly said!
    -------------------------------www.Texas-AP.com--------------------------------------
    --------------------- join us on face book: txapn and txapn stefan ---------------------
    --------------------- HOWS THIS GAME GOING TO REMEMBER YOU? ---------------------

JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JontheAtheist has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I wouldn't want to be a personal trainer just for the aspect of no shows, reschedules and cancelations. My time is valuable to me. Sales is a tough job so kudos to a who stick with it.
    "Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength."- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Misc Crew

Combat Veterans Crew

Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jbonito will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JontheAtheist View Post
    I wouldn't want to be a personal trainer just for the aspect of no shows, reschedules and cancelations. My time is valuable to me. Sales is a tough job so kudos to a who stick with it.
    Is that the only reason why you wouldn't want to be a trainer? That is not that bad all you do is establish a cancellation policy and make in known. And you get paid in advance so if they don't abide by the policy and don't show then its there loss not yours. I have never run into a problem with this you just have to stick to your guns and allow no exceptions for anyone.
    Goals in writing are dreams with deadlines.

BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JontheAtheist View Post
    Frequent no-shows were some of my favorite clients!

TheAMG is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAMG is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAMG is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAMG is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAMG is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAMG is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAMG is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAMG is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAMG is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAMG is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheAMG is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had a personal trainer for 1 week then dropped her.

There are two types of person trainers.

First type, the one whos just there to get a paycheck every month

Second type, the one who actually cares about your fitness/exercise, and who also needs to make ends meat with there income.

The trainer I had was the first type, she didn't give a sh** about me or my weight issues. She just wanted to milk me for as much money as possible.

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TheAMG View Post

Second type, the one who actually cares about your fitness/exercise, and who also needs to make ends meat with there income.

The trainer I had was the first type, she didn't give a sh** about me or my weight issues. She just wanted to milk me for as much money as possible.
    I agree. Only the second type will reach greatness in this business, period.
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. However if we weren't trying to make ends meat as trainers that would make us a gym buddy. a friend who you bring with you to keep you motivated. We expect to get paid for our service and knowledge because we know how to help people reach their goals safely and effectively.

I personally am not in it only for the paycheck. I'm in it because I help people get healthy and feel/look better... and get paid to do it.
    NASM CPT
    ISSA CFT

I do it because I can
    I can because I want to
    I want to because you say I can't

Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Jbonito View Post
    Is that the only reason why you wouldn't want to be a trainer? That is not that bad all you do is establish a cancellation policy and make in known. And you get paid in advance so if they don't abide by the policy and don't show then its there loss not yours. I have never run into a problem with this you just have to stick to your guns and allow no exceptions for anyone.
    Word. If people cancel I still get paid. Sometimes I'll let it slide depending on the situation, very rare though.
    A.C.E Certified Personal Trainer
    N.E.S.T.A Fitness Nutrition Coach

HOMER: [holds Lisa's suitcase] Somebody's traveling light.
    LISA: Meh. Maybe you're just getting stronger.
    HOMER: Well, I have been eating more.

Squat:560-Raw 565-wraps
    Bench:365-Raw
    Deadlift:555-Raw
    Front Squat-405x2(Raw) 465x1(Wraps)

JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Talking no shows

Originally Posted by BSCSCS View Post
    Frequent no-shows were some of my favorite clients!
    Yeah you get a free hour to do whatever and you still get paid
    IFPA/PNBA Natural Pro Bodybuilder
    P4P Muscle Sponsored Athlete
    Fitness and Nutrition Programs www.Payhip.com/JulianBrownFitness
    www.JulianBrownTraining.com
    www.********.com/Julianbrownpersonaltraining
    www.dailymotion.com/julian11453
    www.Twitter.com/Jbtraining
    www.askthetrainer.com/author/julianbrown/

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Pros:
    -get to work whenever you want
    -free membership
    -get to work around athletes/aspiring athletes
    -dont have to deal with as much low educated people as one would have to at say wal mart
    -can call yourself a professional

cons
    -you are a salesman to the company. No more no less
    -one of the few businesses that can get away with making you work for free(ie answering the phone,making out schedules,answering stupid questions,doing the clubs marketing ie prospecting, being there and ready to work but no client scheduled)
    -usually have to make yourself available at least 60 hours a week to mayyybe get 35-40 paid hrs
    -at most gyms few trainers make more than 25k
    -annoying clients who expect you to work around their schedules
    -lack of benefits at most places
    -immature ego driven early 20s managers
    -a lot of gyms push for you to use gimmicks, and "fun dynamic workouts"instead of the workouts that actually work(workouts revolving around the squat,bench,dl,and clean)
    -having to deal with lazy crybabies all day

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by 2020wellness View Post
    i agree. Only the second type will reach greatness in this business, period.
    i disagree. More of the first type are the successful ones. Trainers are salesman in the eyes of the company thats it. They dont care about anything but the sale. Very few gyms pay more fore results. As long as you can con the client into buying the biggest package available you are set. This is why i hate this business.

Mckekin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mckekin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mckekin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mckekin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mckekin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mckekin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mckekin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mckekin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mckekin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mckekin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mckekin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    thanks alot, i was considering become a PT
    Pump or die trying

Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Pros:

Decent money if you work for it.
    Helping people and giving them advice.
    Very enjoyable and can get some good tips if your lucky.
    Work your own hours.
    Flexibility.

Cons:

Paperwork and tax returns.
    Having to lug about your equipment in the car/van if you don't have your own place to train clients.
    Travel costs.

LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BC02 View Post
    i disagree. More of the first type are the successful ones. Trainers are salesman in the eyes of the company thats it. They dont care about anything but the sale. Very few gyms pay more fore results. As long as you can con the client into buying the biggest package available you are set. This is why i hate this business.
    In regards to going independent, the first type never last....I wouldnt expect any PT to stay in a gym setting for more than 6-12 months unless they had no clue on how to go independent.

Originally Posted by mckekin View Post
    thanks alot, i was considering become a pt
    i wouldnt unless is a 2nd job or you like bankruptcy and dont care about benefits

justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The TRUTH has been spoken

justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10) justinslayer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Pros:
    -get to work whenever you want
    -free membership
    -get to work around athletes/aspiring athletes
    -dont have to deal with as much low educated people as one would have to at say wal mart
    -can call yourself a professional

cons
    -you are a salesman to the company. No more no less
    -one of the few businesses that can get away with making you work for free(ie answering the phone,making out schedules,answering stupid questions,doing the clubs marketing ie prospecting, being there and ready to work but no client scheduled)
    -usually have to make yourself available at least 60 hours a week to mayyybe get 35-40 paid hrs
    -at most gyms few trainers make more than 25k
    -annoying clients who expect you to work around their schedules
    -lack of benefits at most places
    -immature ego driven early 20s managers
    -a lot of gyms push for you to use gimmicks, and "fun dynamic workouts"instead of the workouts that actually work(workouts revolving around the squat,bench,dl,and clean)
    on the button!

LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    should probably note that most of the cons are related to corporate gym settings, however i do agree that PT should be used as a supplemental income until your base clientel has risen and income dictates moving it to a full time setting.

JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    I agree. Only the second type will reach greatness in this business, period.
    It all depends on who you're working for. Commercial gyms will more than likely have you put in "floor hours" and all they care about is your sales. Independent trainers basically make a living off results and word of mouth. Both types of trainers can make it in this business, but they have to be in the right market i.e. type 1 at a commercial gym and type 2 as an independent. Just my 2 cents
    IFPA/PNBA Natural Pro Bodybuilder
    P4P Muscle Sponsored Athlete
    Fitness and Nutrition Programs www.Payhip.com/JulianBrownFitness
    www.JulianBrownTraining.com
    www.********.com/Julianbrownpersonaltraining
    www.dailymotion.com/julian11453
    www.Twitter.com/Jbtraining
    www.askthetrainer.com/author/julianbrown/

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The whole "Commercial gyms suck as they dont pay you to prospect" is a bit of a mute issue as its the same with being independent trainers. You still have to put in hours on the marketing side of things which you dont get paid for.

I find training is the easy part of this job. its the behind the scenes stuff which is the hardest.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    I find that the truly lazy crybabies won't hire trainers anyway, so you only have to put up with them for those few free gym introduction sessions

I also find that while some trainees at first appear to be lazy crybabies, once you find the way to talk to that particular person, how to motivate them, they turn out to be hardworking and tough.

This then is a con of being a trainer: you have to communicate well with people, have strong empathy, and this often requires a lot of effort and time. But if it were easy then they wouldn't have to pay us to do it.
    Originally Posted by jules_d1
    I find training is the easy part of this job. its the behind the scenes stuff which is the hardest.
    Absolutely. I look forward to the sessions. Well, with most clients, anyway

Originally Posted by jules_d1 View Post
    the whole "commercial gyms suck as they dont pay you to prospect" is a bit of a mute issue as its the same with being independent trainers. You still have to put in hours on the marketing side of things which you dont get paid for.

I find training is the easy part of this job. Its the behind the scenes stuff which is the hardest.
    when you are working foa a gym you are marketing the gym. When you are independant you are marketing yourself. Big difference. Its the same as if wal mart made you stand by the door advertising their product, but not paying you for it imo.

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    when you are working foa a gym you are marketing the gym. When you are independant you are marketing yourself. Big difference. Its the same as if wal mart made you stand by the door advertising their product, but not paying you for it imo.
    when you market for the gym it is marketing for yourself. if the gym has no business, you dont get paid.

sean-comcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sean-comcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sean-comcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sean-comcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sean-comcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sean-comcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sean-comcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sean-comcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sean-comcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sean-comcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sean-comcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pros and Cons

I'll admit there are many cons as well as the pros. However, to really negate the cons, you have to be good, have a niche and attract clients to you and away from others.

The kind of cons you may not think of are the fact that your day is not 9-5. It is instead busy, slow, busy, slow - unless you are good enough to have pro-sportsman or happy to train soccer-moms, you will have a rush of clients before 9am (before they go to work), a rush of clients between 1130 and 2pm (their lunch hour) then a load between 4pm and 10pm (when they finish work). If you have a family or social life, and you want to earn money this can be a pain.

Another major con if you choose to work in a gym is striving to get clients to you and away from other PTs who are supposedly your friends - not a nice working environment.

If you are good, or have a really credible niche, you will not have to worry about these cons. I am lucky, I learned my trade as a Royal Marine Commando Physical Training Instructor and was asked by the British Forces to write "the Royal Marines Guide to Fitness", that gives me kudos and brings clients to me. Once you have enough clients and are happy with your earning and regulars, you can pick and choose when and who you train. Additionally, if you are good, you can train richer people, charge more and work less.

The hardest part and biggest con is getting started, it takes time to get clients, but sticking with it is half the battle. Just remember to make yourself different somehow.
    Sean

Ex-Royal Marine Commando, Physical Training Instructor

Author of the Haynes Guide to Royal Marine Commando Fitness

www.commandoconditioning.com

www.twitter.com/comcon

www.********.com/pages/Commando-Conditioning/27646334200itioning/27646334200